• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F is for Family |OT| Bill Burr puts the F back in Family. On Netflix Dec. 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
rrv3Ksf.jpg

Follow the Murphy family back to the 1970s, when kids roamed wild, beer flowed freely and nothing came between a man and his TV.

Release date: Available now to stream on Netflix.

Links:

Reviews:

• The Hollywood Reporter:

F Is for Family premieres on Dec. 18, and the first season is a tight six-episode chronicle of the minor and major cataclysms impacting the Murphy clan over a single fall — setbacks and triumphs which, in isolation, are the stuff of standard family sitcoms, but which gain heft as they pile up and as continuity leads to real emotional payoffs by the end. It's a worthy companion to Netflix's BoJack Horseman, which also nimbly walks the line between light and dark in a very not-for-children way.
  • Variety:

The underlying idea behind “F Is for Family,” Netflix’s latest animated comedy, is more appealing than the execution, which winds up feeling like a poor man’s cross between “King of the Hill” and “Mad Men.” Set in 1973, the series — created by comic Bill Burr and Michael Price (“The Simpsons”) — derives much of its humor from the pre-political correctness of those times, as well as technological limitations (for those who remember when getting an answering machine was considered a big deal). The semi-serialized six-episode run has a dark, bittersweet quality, but despite some clever moments, “F” generally merits no more than a “B.”
  • NY Times:

At first, all that sets “F Is for Family” apart from its analogues is the rawness of the content. Few cable or streaming shows have applied their liberties to family sitcoms, and it lends a certain verisimilitude to arguments between a beer-drinking dad and a rebellious teenager. As you may have guessed, the “F” is not in fact only for “Family.”

The show’s smarts creep up on you over the six-episode season.Like many period comedies, “F Is for Family” relies heavily on what-it-was-like-then references. But they’re well-curated ones that suggest that a young Mr. Burr was keeping assiduous records in his “Super Friends” notebook. When the Murphys shop for a TV (a color console the size of Skylab), the salesman promises to finance the sale at “a point above prime: 26 percent!” Props to any show that appreciates a good interest-rate joke.
  • SF Chronicle:

The show is funny, but a not-always-subtle flip side makes the jokes funny as well. Inevitably, we view it all through both our personal lens and through contemporary sensibilities. The Mohawk commercials, if aired today, would set off a social-media firestorm. At the same time, though, the Washington, D.C., pro football team continues to resist public pressure to change its name.

The more things change, as they say, the more we laugh, until we find ourselves asking if things have really changed that much.

That’s what keeps “F Is for Family” not only funny, but relevant as well.
  • NY Daily News:

F is for friggin' funny.

Bill Burr is a brilliant angry-man comic's comic, which means that other comedians respect his work. Now he hopes to redraw his childhood with a raw, no-holds-barred animated series on Netflix.

Creators: Bill Burr and Michael Price.

Cast:

bS6Gpm7.jpg

Bill Burr as Frank Murphy

RN0r1Tj.jpg

Laura Dern as Sue Murphy

uJoukd9.jpg

Justin Long as Kevin Murphy

6I9g63K.jpg

Haley Reinhart as Bill Murphy

XDYq9FY.jpg

Debi Derryberry as Maureen Murphy

Hig1MZa.jpg

Sam Rockwell as Victor

Promo photos:

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bill Burr is goddamn hilarious, I listen to his podcast religiously lol. I hope this show is good.

Novocaine

It's actually coming out!

Looking forward to it, I wonder if Australian Netflix will get it too or if we will have to wait.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some more reviews:

NY Times:

At first, all that sets “F Is for Family” apart from its analogues is the rawness of the content. Few cable or streaming shows have applied their liberties to family sitcoms, and it lends a certain verisimilitude to arguments between a beer-drinking dad and a rebellious teenager. As you may have guessed, the “F” is not in fact only for “Family.”

The show’s smarts creep up on you over the six-episode season.Like many period comedies, “F Is for Family” relies heavily on what-it-was-like-then references. But they’re well-curated ones that suggest that a young Mr. Burr was keeping assiduous records in his “Super Friends” notebook. When the Murphys shop for a TV (a color console the size of Skylab), the salesman promises to finance the sale at “a point above prime: 26 percent!” Props to any show that appreciates a good interest-rate joke.

SF Chronicle:

The show is funny, but a not-always-subtle flip side makes the jokes funny as well. Inevitably, we view it all through both our personal lens and through contemporary sensibilities. The Mohawk commercials, if aired today, would set off a social-media firestorm. At the same time, though, the Washington, D.C., pro football team continues to resist public pressure to change its name.

The more things change, as they say, the more we laugh, until we find ourselves asking if things have really changed that much.

That’s what keeps “F Is for Family” not only funny, but relevant as well.

NY Daily News:

F is for friggin' funny.

Bill Burr is a brilliant angry-man comic's comic, which means that other comedians respect his work. Now he hopes to redraw his childhood with a raw, no-holds-barred animated series on Netflix.

lunchtoast

Can't wait to watch this. Any comparison to King of the Hill gets me excited.

Did not know Justin Long and Sam Rockwell were in this.

Glasshole

Banned
Watched the first 2 episodes.

Not entirely feeling it yet. Ep 2 is better than Ep 1.

It's not laugh out loud funny, like Bill's standup routines. And it's no Archer in terms of wit or similar.

But it's amusing.

I had it on sort-of in the background while doing other stuff. It gave me some Bojack vibes as it progressed, and some of the family relations were done pretty well (at least they described some relationships that seemed very realistic to me), but it might have been too short to get me to really care about any of the characters. I do conceded that I might had gotten more out of it if I payed closer attention to it. Might rewatch a few episodes later.

Didn't realize it was only six episodes when I first started it up. When the sixth episode went off I was kinda like, "That's it?" For a show that takes a few episodes to warm up to, that's kinda disappointing.

Still, I enjoyed it.

Didn't realize it was only six episodes when I first started it up. When the sixth episode went off I was kinda like, "That's it?" For a show that takes a few episodes to warm up to, that's kinda disappointing.

Still, I enjoyed it.
Animation tKes too long see 2017 return for Rick and Mortu for 10-13 eps

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Still, I enjoyed it.

Yea, felt the same way. It took me until around episode 3 to really get into it and just when I felt like it was going somewhere good it was done.

Hated Burr on his Nerdist interview, came across as a really ignorant guy. I'll give this a shot though bc I like his standup and the cast is solid.

The Beard

Bill Burr is goddamn hilarious, I listen to his podcast religiously lol. I hope this show is good.

His podcast is good and horrible at the same time. He's the only person dumb enough to do play by play on a football or basketball game that he's watching in the background. It's like dude, by the time I listen to your podcast, that game is 2 or 3 days old and I already watched it when it aired live. I don't want to hear you watch it 3 days later.

neshcom

Banned
Watched to episode 2 today. It seems a lot like That 70s Show with a very colorful period piece and heavy family themes. It's cute and not trying to sell itself as a deeper show like Bojack.

Yeah, I was slightly afraid reading the show's description and seeing the trailers that this would just nakedly romanticize or be solely sympathetic toward the 70's male perspective. Burr's standup always has more nuance but he can really delve into "bitter dude" mode at times on his podcast. Ultimately, though, my fears were unfounded. It's the shifting warts-and-all perspective of every family member throughout the episodes that really makes the show shine. There's an honest portrayal of the personal successes and failures of each cultural archetype the show tackles. Every member of the family gets due attention in the spotlight and through the wringer.

Love the satire, love the heartfelt moments, love how relentlessly dark it can be. My only real issue is I wish there was more. Bring on season 2.

I watched the first two episodes and wasn't really feeling it. Hearing it picks up a bit with the following four, maybe I'll go back and check it out.

Fury451

Banned
Show stops jut as it's getting it's groove. Interesting dynamics though, the parents have a fairly loving relationship that's quite interesting.

It overuses "fuck" though. I love Bill's standup and don't mind how he uses it, but it just feels peppered in way too much since every character basically says it. Got distracting.

Otherwise it's probably one of the most honest and dynamic portrayals of a family I've seen on television, with both ups and downs, and the complicated interactions and emotions that are involved

MrBS

I found it got the job done but entirely missable. Perhaps being a bit longer would have helped me.

Great show. Very Married with Children. It captures being a fucked up dad in that '70s/'80s generation very well.

Yeah, I was slightly afraid reading the show's description and seeing the trailers that this would just nakedly romanticize or be solely sympathetic toward the 70's male perspective. Burr's standup always has more nuace but he can really delve into "bitter dude" mode at times on his podcast. Ultimately, though, my fears were unfounded. It's the shifting warts-and-all perspective of every family member throughout the episodes that really makes the show shine. It's a really honest portrayal of the personal successes and failures of each cultural archetype the show tackles. Each member of the family due attention in the spotlight and through the wringer.

Love the satire, love the heartfelt moments, love how relentlessly dark it can be. My only real issue is I wish there was more. Bring on season 2.
Yep, I had the same fear, but it navigates the bitter dad character well overall.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Really enjoyed this, as someone who isn't the biggest fan of Burr's standup. I'll echo what others have said in that whatever it tackles it does so extremely well.

"Skiball no!"

SDCowboy

Just binge-watched the entire season. Super good. The ending of the season finally was perfectly done (especially loved the song choice).

Can't wait for season 2!

I watched the first two episodes and wasn't really feeling it. Hearing it picks up a bit with the following four, maybe I'll go back and check it out.

i just finished the first episode and am feeling the same. really like his stand up but just feels like the anger thing is overdone, atleast with the animations.

really like bojack too, thought this would be similar.

SDCowboy

i just finished the first episode and am feeling the same. really like his stand up but just feels like the anger thing is overdone, atleast with the animations.

really like bojack too, thought this would be similar.

I found the first episode to be the weakest. Then it gets amazing.

LakeEarth

Watched it all yesterday. I liked it for the most part.
Animated thrusting balls
is not something I'd ever think I'd see nor wanted to see.

Apathy

It had its moments for sure. Would watch another season, but bojack blows it out of the water as far as Netflix adult cartoons go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom