• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F is for Family |OT| Bill Burr puts the F back in Family. On Netflix Dec. 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I finished season 2 this morning. As solid as the first season, they really ramped up the vulgarity to an almost distracting degree though. Not enough to deter my enjoyment really, but you can tell they went out of their way. Last 15 minutes of the finale was so fucked up lol.
Vulgarity was a bit much, but still represents reality. Hopefullt a third season.

IronLich

I dare say Season 2, Episode 9 has perhaps the best payoff to a running dialogue theme with its ending.

Are you guys fighting again?

YES!

*credits*

I love all the absurd elements gathering up for the finale. The final 10 minutes was so dysfunctional and completely out of left field with some of its payoffs, but still within the lines of the show's motif of being there for family.

This is a show that rewards both character building and situational buildup with precision gut busting laughs. I enjoyed S2. I can see where the level of vulgarity getting turned up would turn off a few viewers, but when it counts, they use it more effectively. Whether it's during an uncomfortable setting, or it's when a character really needs to blow off some steam... THAT is when it's used accordingly, and the subject wouldn't hit as hard if they didn't use obscene language.

I think I'm too spoiled by Bojack saving the far more explicit four letter words for situations that are so far beyond mending. But with F is for Family, it raises the trashiness of the show and the people that live in it , and shows that their entire lives are gonna be shit from THIS moment forward, and everyone just seems to understand that, yet still rebel against their own ruin.

Great season! As for vulgarity, my parents didn't have a filter around me, but then again, they were hippies.

Yeah, if this were like an alternative family, I could see that. But they are painted as basically the typical 70s family. I don't think it really brings it down any, but it seems pretty obvious it's a case of just doing something because they have the ability to and less because it fits with what they're trying to do. But it's rare for animators to really be able to go over the wall like this, so I get it.

Jarrod38

Haha, yup, loved it.

Is there an easy way to gif Netflix shows? There is a disturbing lack of gifs for this show.

I just use Instagiffer. Smokey is the best.
xqrVVWR.gif

Wood Man

I finished season 2 this morning. As solid as the first season, they really ramped up the vulgarity to an almost distracting degree though. Not enough to deter my enjoyment really, but you can tell they went out of their way. Last 15 minutes of the finale was so fucked up lol.

I may binge this tonight now. I think I have 4 episodes to go.

Thought this season was hilarious and indeed really bounces the needle on the crass meter. I actually don't like vulgar/crass humor in live action but am fine with it in animation, largely as no actor is embarrassing themselves beyond a vulgar line reading. Along with the general creativity afforded by the animation.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Been binge watching this lately and I gotta say pretty funny. Sam Rockwell does a pretty good Matthew McConaughey impression.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Watched the first four episodes of Season 2. So far, they've been alot stronger than most of Season 1. A big part of that is the greater emphasis on Sue, and her active role in keeping the family afloat. Frank is played less as wholly repugnant and more just flawed, which helps alot. I mean he's still an asshole, but atleast a well-written asshole.

Looking forward to continuing.

Lokimaru

You must have come from a good family then!

I thought my knick name was Muthafucka till third grade. As in "Muthafucka sit yo ass down and shut the fuck up." or "Muthafucka get yo ass in here now!" My mother cursed like a sailor.

Marathoned this over the last week, we both loved it, shouldn't be surprised we already loved burr, but its fun seeing a sitcom like this with swearing heh.

I think my favorite joke was when bill was collecting money for the paper route and the old lady is reaching into her purse, only to just flip him off heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom