• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Maybe a month or so after this update, they announce exclusive fallout 5 for Xbox. No pc, no ps5. Then follow it up with doom,
elder scrolls, perfect dark, fable, wolfenstein and horizons 6.

I mean do they want to sell xbox units or not........it sounds crazy to ditch pc, and they wont do it......but exclusives matter.........

Dazraell

Maybe a month or so after this update, they announce exclusive fallout 5 for Xbox. No pc, no ps5. Then follow it up with doom,

I mean do they want to sell xbox units or not........it sounds crazy to ditch pc, and they wont do it......but exclusives matter.........
Fallout 5 will most likely be Bethesda's next project after TES VI which is in early development and most likely years away

Diddy X

I doubt we will have a new Fallout this gen as TES VI comes first and it is years away still, so they just update Fallout 4 to keep it going for longer.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

You crack me up. Xbox will be LONG dead by the time Bethesda starts developing Fallout 5. Nothing is going to move the needle for Xbox to justify making these games exclusive. The fact that we have people that still continue to hold out hope is the very definition of a tool.

lifa-cobex

Decided to boot up for nostalgia.
No mods.

30-50fps!! Completely unstable.
with a i7 7700 :messenger_weary:

I'm not quite sure why people were excited for Starfield.
Bethesda owe so much to the mod community that I would bet cash they wouldn't be around anymore without them.

I installed it today. Had no idea where I was in the game but I assume all of my saves are end-game.

Had a rifle equipped which one-shotted all super mutants which was nice. Had a heart attack when I turned and saw Strong stranding behind me. I had totally forgotten about all of the companions and their quests in this game, I had them all holed up in the same settlement lol. Had 8 power armors just standing around in a house.

The game is UGLY. Granted it's almost 10 years old but damn. Anyone who ever said "Starfield looks like Fallout 4 hur hur" is a moron.

King Dazzar

I installed it today. Had no idea where I was in the game but I assume all of my saves are end-game.

Had a rifle equipped which one-shotted all super mutants which was nice. Had a heart attack when I turned and saw Strong stranding behind me. I had totally forgotten about all of the companions and their quests in this game, I had them all holed up in the same settlement lol. Had 8 power armors just standing around in a house.

The game is UGLY. Granted it's almost 10 years old but damn. Anyone who ever said "Starfield looks like Fallout 4 hur hur" is a moron.
It can look decent enough with a texture overhaul mod and auto HDR. And runs at a native 4k 60fps with another mod or two, on XSX. There's also only loading screens when entering interiors. I far prefer it over Starfield. But to each their own.

jwaxeman

I tried installing F4 last month but quickly uninstalled in fear of me hating it for lacking RPG elements. I heard its mostly just a shooter.
Fallout 4 as a branching RPG leaves something to be desired (although I really think people overstate how bad the RPG elements are) but Fallout 4 on Survival Mode is one of the most uniquely compelling and enjoyable game experiences you can have, IMO. It's a completely different beast on Survival Mode and IMO that's the best way to play.

It can look decent enough with a texture overhaul mod and auto HDR. And runs at a native 4k 60fps with another mod or two, on XSX. There's also only loading screens when entering interiors. I far prefer it over Starfield. But to each their own.
I think its just the inconsistency. The lighting can look fantastic and so can some of the interiors.

Methos#1975

I think it still looks pretty good, characters can be hit or miss but the landscapes hold up.

King Dazzar

I think its just the inconsistency. The lighting can look fantastic and so can some of the interiors.
Yeah I know the fps boost mode looked awful. The one where by it uses the Xbox One S code iirc and runs at 60fps but at 1080p and awful textures and draw distances etc. So do make sure you're playing the native 4k version making use of the X1X enhancements. Far better image quality and its locked at 30fps, but you can get around that with a mod. Once you get the X1X enhancements with 60fps and then start turning on auto HDR and it can look really good for what is now an old game. But I did end up improving it a lot further with texture overhaul to all terrain and building exteriors etc.

Fingers cross for the 25th. Lets hope they dont mess it up. Because I'd love to do a vanilla run with achievements...

THE DUCK

You crack me up. Xbox will be LONG dead by the time Bethesda starts developing Fallout 5. Nothing is going to move the needle for Xbox to justify making these games exclusive. The fact that we have people that still continue to hold out hope is the very definition of a tool.

Conversely, pretty silly to just give up on a company that has this many studios and exclusive IP's, and deeper pockets than some countries. Plus a willingness to spend. You really have no idea for sure what will happen next, pure conjecture.

Conversely, pretty silly to just give up on a company that has this many studios and exclusive IP's, and deeper pockets than some countries. Plus a willingness to spend. You really have no idea for sure what will happen next, pure conjecture.
Dawg you was one to be making excuses for that awful last FM game... it's a clueless mindset

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Use a couple of the texture / lighting - weather overhual mods to make it look better. Xbox version supports those mods as well, including an PC equivalent Ultra Settings mod @ 60 FPS (which seems to work incredibly well, or at least well enough that my VRR monitor prevents me from noticing any drops).

A couple I'd recommend as basic starters:

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Use a couple of the texture / lighting - weather overhual mods to make it look better. Xbox version supports those mods as well, including an PC equivalent Ultra Settings mod @ 60 FPS (which seems to work incredibly well, or at least well enough that my VRR monitor prevents me from noticing any drops).

I'd be very weary of using the last mod which changes weather. Every single weather mod I tried caused stability issues when going to Far Harbour.

adamsapple

I'd be very weary of using the last mod which changes weather. Every single weather mod I tried caused stability issues when going to Far Harbour.

I think that mod specifically has added patches for Far Harbor (but I've only used it in the main world so far, so can't comment first hand).

The Vivid Fallout mod is fantastic though, it replaces a lot of textures with better looking ones (which also supposedly make the game run better since the base textures are compressed like shit).

King Dazzar

I think that mod specifically has added patches for Far Harbor (but I've only used it in the main world so far, so can't comment first hand).

The Vivid Fallout mod is fantastic though, it replaces a lot of textures with better looking ones (which also supposedly make the game run better since the base textures are compressed like shit).
Yeah, I can only convey my own experience. But I tested all the main weather mods with their compatibility patches and they all caused random crashes when moving around the Far Harbour area. At the time I looked into it extensively and did find out the technical reasons too. iirc issues were linked into some cell specifics for the island. I tested the game for a couple of hundred hours solely around stability and maintaining a locked 60fps. And weather mods were a no go from a stability side of things, especially with Far Harbour. Good luck though. I believe I already gave you some of my mod recommendations, several months ago.... I dont have the list anymore as I've moved on from Xbox.

King Dazzar

adamsapple adamsapple

Here you go, here's the main bulk of mine, dont use them with Vivid etc as they'll likely conflict. For me this was far better than using the all in one texture mods:
nW6BC19.jpg

THE DUCK

Dawg you was one to be making excuses for that awful last FM game... it's a clueless mindset

Ok, you win, clueless. Back to the topic on hand, let's enjoy this free update from Microsoft. Been watching the show, definately has me a lot more amped to play fallout 4 at its best.

adamsapple

adamsapple adamsapple

Here you go, here's the main bulk of mine, dont use them with Vivid etc as they'll likely conflict. For me this was far better than using the all in one texture mods:
nW6BC19.jpg

I have the Immersive HUD one too. Is it possible to get rid of the dot crosshair entirely, when the weapon is holstered?

It's either that or disable crosshairs entirely from the in-game options. Otherwise that persistent Dot stays in the middle of the screen and I don't like it.

edit: Also, if you know a mod to remove the fucking headbob when sprinting .. I hate that effect.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I have the Immersive HUD one too. Is it possible to get rid of the dot crosshair entirely, when the weapon is holstered?

It's either that or disable crosshairs entirely from the in-game options. Otherwise that persistent Dot stays in the middle of the screen and I don't like it.

edit: Also, if you know a mod to remove the fucking headbob when sprinting .. I hate that effect.
I never had an issue with a persistent dot. But I cant remember how I had it set up. I dont recall doing anything with head bobbing - but I did use an FOV mod as per my list - that was pretty much essential.

I can only share my specific list made from lots of testing. Infact I'd go so far as to say try using with only the addition of the 60fps fix and no other mods.

Last edited:

Inuteu

I really dont expect much from this upgrade

60 fps is already enough to me. and for that we already have an (unoficial) mod

Starfield is "next gen" only and dont look impressive at all

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sounds like Fallout 76 is blowing up in popularity at the moment.
My daughter has played it regularly for years. She said that there are more people now than ever. I guess a popular show, combined with giving the game away for free to Prime members, had the desired effect on the game's population.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Do,you think there will be still mod restrictions on PlayStation with this new version

GHG

This will break a lot of mods. Not worth it. Wish they’d just release a new SKU

Yep, the biggest annoyance is that fact that it's now delaying the Fallout London mod and we have no idea how much this update will break and how long it will take for them to fix everything as a result. Shit timing.

Last edited:

simpatico

Yep, the biggest annoyance is that fact that it's now delaying the Fallout London mod and we have no idea how much this update will break and how long it will take for them to fix everything as a result. Shit timing.
Yeah, this pleases zero PC gamers. Even most widescreen owners I've seen comment are upset because it's going to nuke their entire load order. Guess it means we just have to play New Vegas again.

Does that Ultra/60 fps mod have major drops in Boston?

adamsapple

Does that Ultra/60 fps mod have major drops in Boston?

I haven't tested it that far, but as far as Concord and the first deathclaw / power armor fight, it's good.

Use it paired with the Vivid mod, which uses better optimized textures (the base game textures are reportedly not compressed well at all).

Hero_Select

I've been playing 76... having a good time?

I've gotten on the groove of it and that loop is so satisfying.

Will give 4 another try with this update because I didnt like it much when I first played it.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
>Installed Fallout 4
>Download a bunch of mods
>boot up the game
>Wow looks nice and plays smooth
>Go to do a quest
>Quest is bugged
>Uninstall game

LordCBH

I wish I could use these dope graphics and environment mods without it blocking achievements.

Top Bottom