• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

My favorite one was Point Lookout in Fallout 3 (I wish the Steam version had achievements...). Cool story line and way different environment. Haven't played all of them in New Vegas, though. I am currently at Old World Blues.

I wish New Vegas would have the same graphic's quality and gunplay like Fallout 4 but keeping the rest of New Vegas.

I would be more willing to go back to New Vegas but the character creator, graphics and gunplay are trash. What were they thinking when they made changes in one slider change the others? But the writing is very good in NV whilst F4's writing is terrible. Why does Emil Pagliarulo still have a job? He is the liability going forward.

Sarcasm

I don't know about you guys but I can't play F1, tactics and F2 anymore, I did beat them as a kid though. I can of course play any of the newer ones.

Best update ever!

KsZJucH.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, weird question here. I see this is on sale on Steam. I own this on PS4 and put like seventy hours in but didn't get far into the story at ALL. I was stuck spending most of it building my settlement and stuff. Now, I didn't own a gaming PC back then. I left feeling ambivalent.

I really love Bethesda games. Had such a blast with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Love Oblivion and Skyrim, Morrowind, etc. I've only experienced the console versions of all these. I want the REAL Fallout 4 experience on PC.

I just fucking HATE the base building aspect so much. Constantly looking for junk. Never having the shit I need to do what I need. Getting distracted from, well, getting distracted from the main story by exploring every nook and cranny just because I need springs or some shit.

Are there ANY mods that hopefully just entirely remove that aspect of the game? Perhaps a mod that just lets me generate whatever the hell dumb crap I need immediately to shut up the stupid game and let me go explore the world?

Thanks! I really want to get to the meat of it all.

Sarcasm

Hey guys, weird question here. I see this is on sale on Steam. I own this on PS4 and put like seventy hours in but didn't get far into the story at ALL. I was stuck spending most of it building my settlement and stuff. Now, I didn't own a gaming PC back then. I left feeling ambivalent.

I really love Bethesda games. Had such a blast with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Love Oblivion and Skyrim, Morrowind, etc. I've only experienced the console versions of all these. I want the REAL Fallout 4 experience on PC.

I just fucking HATE the base building aspect so much. Constantly looking for junk. Never having the shit I need to do what I need. Getting distracted from, well, getting distracted from the main story by exploring every nook and cranny just because I need springs or some shit.

Are there ANY mods that hopefully just entirely remove that aspect of the game? Perhaps a mod that just lets me generate whatever the hell dumb crap I need immediately to shut up the stupid game and let me go explore the world?

Just cheat junk in, no need for mods unless you go survival.

https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/mod-detail/911793

Im in the same boat as you, whenever i need junk for settlements i use it. I like settlements as a side feature, but as you said im not playing this game to run around looking for junk 75% of my time. And as soon as you want to get a little more serious with settlements it will consume most of your playing time just doing that...

Sarcasm

https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/mod-detail/911793

Im in the same boat as you, whenever i need junk for settlements i use it. I like settlements as a side feature, but as you said im not playing this game to run around looking for junk 75% of my time. And as soon as you want to get a little more serious with settlements it will consume most of your playing time just doing that...

He is going to pc I believe, no need for a mod for a feature you can already do on pc.

I'm so disappointed that there isn't a Dogmeat Corgi or Dogemeat mod. I understand that the animations make it a huge effort but man, Ein would so fit in Fallout.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
First time playing in while. Took a look at the new vault add on. Just reached vault 88 before i took a break. Raiders seem to say im blind now when you shoot them in the head.

How would you rate the gun mechanics? Do you prefer using VATS over it?

Also getting some stuttering outdoors, I think it's an engine problem which was present in the older FO games, even on a 980Ti. Doesn't happen everywhere though.

Sarcasm

Also getting some stuttering outdoors, I think it's an engine problem which was present in the older FO games, even on a 980Ti. Doesn't happen everywhere though.

Try the ultimate ini tweaks over on reddit. Stuttering maybe due to memory which you can fix with F4SE and not having it on a SSD (SSD thing may be varied as it ran horrible on mine).

I'm running it off an SSD. Everything on ultra at 1080p. Maybe it's the location I'm currently in, with lots of raiders ( large fire fight).

Sarcasm

Yea my game would take 45+ seconds to load and then the weapon switching glitch. Where it would take like a minute to switch weapons.

On my HDD, all gone and I can bump quality. Loading takes 10 seconds lol.

I've played through the game both ways and love the feel of the guns. Jumping into the fray balls out with a laser gatling is amazing.

That said, VATS is way more powerful IMO if you focus on some combination of PER, AGI and LUC.

Nice. Just wondering, controller or ms/kb?
I've also been playing around with some visual mods and ended up sticking with vanilla aka no mods.

Vic_Viper

Thinking about starting fresh without any mods on PC now that all the DLC is out but I've got a few questions.

1. Is there a way to increase the amount of structures you can build without a mod?

2. Are there any good guides for getting the most out of your settlements? For instance, what is the correct amount of crops for maximum efficiency at any given settlement. Don't want too many like I usually have that just sit there.

3. Is there a correct way to get 100% happiness now in settlements?

Sarcasm

Is there a way to undo a perk choice? Also if I undo that may as well fix my STATS too...

Is there a way to reset without restarting?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thinking about starting fresh without any mods on PC now that all the DLC is out but I've got a few questions.

1. Is there a way to increase the amount of structures you can build without a mod?

2. Are there any good guides for getting the most out of your settlements? For instance, what is the correct amount of crops for maximum efficiency at any given settlement. Don't want too many like I usually have that just sit there.

1. No idea.
2. Each settler can handle 6 (or is it 8?) points of food. Corn, Tomato, and Mutfruit ensures you will always be able to make Adhesive
3. Yes, it can easily be done with two settlers. I however add a few cats or dogs to make it work for sure. Unfortunately I can't find the youtube link.

Morokh

1. drop a bunch of weapons on the ground (the bigger they are and the more mods they have the better), go in workshop mode, and store them in your workshop in this mode.
Get them back from your workshop, rinse-repeat.

3. If by correct way, you mean playing in a regular, organic way, not getting out of your way to try to cheese the system, nope.
There are some tricks that exist to get the achievement though.

Filben

Can someone give me an overview about the DLC outrage? They priced the season pass originally at 29,99 [CURRENCY]. Then they said they will raise the price in future due to further plans on releasing content beyond original concept. People had chances to buy it at the given price (or even less on Greenmangaming, etc.). Did I miss something? What exactly went wrong? Do they still charge 50 bucks but do not offer DLC beyond the original plan like they said they would? Could someone explain this DLC-gate for me?

Lanrutcon

Can someone give me an overview about the DLC outrage? They priced the season pass originally at 29,99 [CURRENCY]. Then they said they will raise the price in future due to further plans on releasing content beyond original concept. People had chances to buy it at the given price (or even less on Greenmangaming, etc.). Did I miss something? What exactly went wrong? Do they still charge 50 bucks but do not offer DLC beyond the original plan like they said they would? Could someone explain this DLC-gate for me?

Blindly buy this completely unreviewed bunch of mystery content NOW...or we raise the price and charge you more later when it's actually created. It's quality tax, basically. Once you know what you're actually getting they charge you $20 more for the privilege.

And (shock, horror) most of the DLC turned out to be garbage anyway, with the big one being "meh".

Expectations were raised. People who paid $30 or less expected a lot of value and didn't get it.

In retrospect, it looks like a marketing ploy. It's hard to believe Bethesda's original plan expanded, which is the bullshit fed to us.

Although I don't agree that the "big one" was "meh" since Nuka World isn't out yet and Far Harbor is pretty good IMO.

All the settlement stuff is frustrating though. It's content you'd expect from mods or free DLC not paid DLC.

Lanrutcon

Expectations were raised. People who paid $30 or less expected a lot of value and didn't get it.

In retrospect, it looks like a marketing ploy. It's hard to believe Bethesda's original plan expanded, which is the bullshit fed to us.

Although I don't agree that the "big one" was "meh" since Nuka World isn't out yet and Far Harbor is pretty good IMO.

All the settlement stuff is frustrating though. It's content you'd expect from mods or free DLC not paid DLC.

I consider it meh because I spent 2 days on it and then moved on. I honestly couldn't tell you much about the expansion anymore because it's that forgettable It was a grey landmass with a handful of new guns and armor pieces, some new baddies that had way too much DR because Beth still have no idea how to balance high level content and some NPCs that were flagged as critical, preventing me from ending the DLC in 20 minutes.

The FO:NV DLC set the standard, and Beth couldn't be bothered to even try and match that level of quality.

Filben

Thanks for elaboration.

But regarding the settlement stuff; I mean lots of people spend hundreds of hours on it. Even this very thread is called "Farming Simulator". That's what many people do. Screw the story and sidequest, I want to build my own settlement! And people really appreciated the feature. Not what I want from a Fallout game, personally, but many others seem to want that. So, for me it seems logical that Bethesda delivers on that, giving those players even more options. I cannot even blame them. Meeting at the decision table must be like: "Why bother with additional story and quests? Most of them don't even bother and just want to build their settlements. For the few... well, we have that Far Harbour script from 2012 in the shelf, that should be suffice."

I miss the DLC quality and especially quantity from Fallout 3 and New Vegas. But maybe I'm with the minority now. If Bethesda thinks they could earn even more money with additional plot lines, economy would say they will deliver that.

Thanks for elaboration.

But regarding the settlement stuff; I mean lots of people spend hundreds of hours on it. Even this very thread is called "Farming Simulator" ... but many others seem to want that. So, for me it seems logical that Bethesda delivers on that, giving those players even more options. I cannot even blame them. Meeting at the decision table must be like: "Why bother with additional story and quests? Most of them don't even bother and just want to build their settlements...

"Farming Simulator" is a tongue-in-cheek title and not meant in support of the design decisions.

Even the official Bethesda forums has tons of people bitching about the settlement stuff.

Even if you argue that the settlements are hugely popular (which I find hard to believe but can't disprove), the settlement DLC is pretty weak overall.

I'm sure there was a meeting similar to you describe but am also confident the conversation centered on profiting as much as possible on the least amount of work rather than catering to a particular fan.

Sarcasm

You do know most people that enjoy it won't be bitching and moaning on a forum about it, right?

You only see the negatives on a forum, especially the dev forums, game forums and/or steam forums.

Food for thought. You won't see many lovers in the thread, since they are actually playing it or moved on after loving it.

Settlement fans might not be bitching and moaning, but they're discussing building strategies on forums, posting videos on YouTube, streaming on Twitch and so forth.

And for what's it worth, I love Fallout 4 and the entire Fallout series. But the settlement component is crapola imho.

N° 2048

I love Fallout 4 so much. Still play it every week for at least a few hours.
Cliche to say but I have clocked in over 500 hours.

I just think that all the settlement DLC should have been in the vanilla game and we should have gotten at least two more DLCs like Nuka World/Far Harbor for the *latest* price of DLC.

Just my opinion.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Settlement fans might not be bitching and moaning, but they're discussing building strategies on forums, posting videos on YouTube, streaming on Twitch and so forth.

And for what's it worth, I love Fallout 4 and the entire Fallout series. But the settlement component is crapola imho.

The settlement building can be fun, but it has come at a price.

The price being that no settlements have their own personalities and the communities are very bland.

Filben

Even if you argue that the settlements are hugely popular (which I find hard to believe but can't disprove), the settlement DLC is pretty weak overall.
That's sad. Haven't spent any time on the settlement DLC because that's no what I'm doing in Fallout 4. I do have the season pass, though, because I've thought about getting awesome new stories.

Stevey

Started the Vault DLC the other night, got a quest to connect an "exercise bike" to a terminal.
The terminal requires power but running a wire from a generator doesn't seem to be powering it.
Any ideas?
The generator is switched on, but it's on the other side of a wall.
Used the conduit things like in the base game but the power doesn't seem to be going through the wall.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
how about moving the generator closer to the excercise bike?
alternatively, build a small generator (3 electricity), the bike and terminal only need 2 electricity combined.

Top Bottom