• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary thing here is the perpetrator even followed the victim and did it again.
It was the alcohol's fault, though. He's totally harmless.

HcWaWMY.png

Drunk ain't no excuse scrub.
Large gathering of people, very loose atmosphere (and I don't mean sexually, just relaxed) mix in some alcohol and you are going to have some people acting a fool. It's probably always gone on, at all sorts of kinds of gatherings, it's just more reported now, and thankfully people are starting to feel more comfortable coming forward rather than just falling back on "boys will be boys" defense. If getting drunk makes you molest and assault people, then don't fucking drink.

Something worth noting for those unaware is that Hyuga is considered one of, if not the best Toon Link players in the world. He had a promising career as a Smash 4 player and he completely botched any aspirations he had with this one stupid and unacceptable act.

Some additional stuff not covered in the OP is that he won't be traveling to any American based tourneys any time soon, and that he posted something akin to an actual apology before he shut down his twitter account.

But yeah, Hyuga fucked up big time. He committed an inexcusable act and it will haunt him for a very long time. I just hope that Vikki can move on from this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
pretty messed up. it happened TWICE in the same night?

guys in that room should have thrown his ass in a cold shower if not out of the room entirely. especially with the bf being there.

Let no man who's ever done stupid shit when drunk cast the first stone. It's a drug that if you take too much of it a make you do stupid shit. My best "worst" ideas happen when I'm drunk, I've learned not to act on them. However, I've never sexually molested anyone while drunk but I have a friend who has. He has no recollection of the events the next day and is genuinely remorseful. All I can do is warn him when I think he's getting to the point of too much by saying "Mr Octopus".

I don't excuse or condone it, but I understand.

SalvaPot

Its a shame, really, and I think Hyuga is going to strongly going to have to reflect on this when he is back here on México, everyone on the mexican community is really mad at him and he is going to have to face consequences for his behavior, and he already said he is so ashamed he is not coming back to play to the USA.

It is inexcusable and a few TO's here are already discussing what kind of punishment he is going to get, and, more importantly, trying to find him help. Because this is the kind of stuff that ruins lives. I'll see if we can talk to him when he gets back, he is been blocking everyone who tries to talk to him be it friend or foe.

I really hope Vikki is ok.

She gets molested on a bed he's sleeping on. Someone else steps in. Happens again 15 minutes later and someone else has to step in again.

Was this guy in a coma?

Smash players are usually young and they drink way, way, way too much... Could explain why the boyfriend didn't moved.

danthefan

Let no man who's ever done stupid shit when drunk cast the first stone. It's a drug that if you take too much of it a make you do stupid shit. My best "worst" ideas happen when I'm drunk, I've learned not to act on them. However, I've never sexually molested anyone while drunk but I have a friend who has. He has no recollection of the events the next day and is genuinely remorseful. All I can do is warn him when I think he's getting to the point of too much by saying "Mr Octopus".

Oh please. I've done plenty of stupid shit when drunk but the only person who would suffer for it is me. Honestly what the fuck.

FZZ

Banned

HcWaWMY.png

Community has been actually fairly divided on this subject

Hyuga himself said he won't return to the US

Apparently he got black out drunk and people think that is an apt excuse

Personally I say it was disgusting what he did. Dude should stay out of the scene and try to rebuild his bond with the victim (if she is even comfortable with that) and other parties who have lost trust in him. And if not just be happy he didn't do anything worse when he was drunk and live his life understanding his mistake and growing from it.

Also he should drop drinking if that's what happens when he blacks out.

There's doing dumb shit and there's breaking the law/molesting/groping people. I've been plenty drunk plenty of times and never did anything like that. If you do, or if you blackout and can't remember what you are doing, you should probably learn to control your drinking or not drink at all.

Foffy

Banned
He's harmless.

Seriously?

'At heart'.

Which probably means when he's drunk, he's bad, but perhaps not so otherwise. My mother is totally like this. Her victim complex comes out only when she's drunk.

But of course, my momma doesn't do what this dude did.

Platy

There is "stupid" and there is "sexually molest".

JawzPause

Okay, so, to give a bit of perspective here, 18% of women in the U.S. have been raped, which works out to about 20 million women.

And that's just rape, which wouldn't include the incident in the OP. And that's excluding the men as well, which is a non-trivial number.

If you consider the amount of people who must be sex offenders given this, you would expect to find them basically everywhere, including here.
What in the actual fuck, 18%!? I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around that. I didn't expect so high a percentage from a western country. I wonder how other countries compare

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ah, the old 'it wasn't me, it was the alcohol' excuse. Sorry buddy, you can't blame items for every outcome.

dity

That wasn't EVO. And these kinds of things happen (probably 10X worse) at bars, night clubs and colleges all over the country. It's not an FGC thing. It's not an anime convention thing.

Bars, night clubs, and colleges aren't the events drawing in large crowds of cosplayers and also sexually deprived horny young men who go to things like late night hentai panels at conventions.

Bars, night clubs, and colleges are happening at all times. Conventions and gaming events only last a few days, and these days usually get several reports of people doing sick crap like Hyuga - and that's only the reported stuff happening to popular people. I'd say the fact that this shit all happens in concentration at events like this makes conventions and tournaments 10x worse.

random25

HcWaWMY.png

He still did it regardless. I'm not saying he's a naturally bad person and he seems likeable when you see him on stream, but he still committed a crime and you can't just pin down alcohol or drugs or anything that clouds your judgment as the cause because you are liable to your actions and it is your responsibility to keep your head straight to prevent yourself from doing harmful things like this.

bounchfx

Community has been actually fairly divided on this subject

Hyuga himself said he won't return to the US

Apparently he got black out drunk and people think that is an apt excuse

Personally I say it was disgusting what he did. Dude should stay out of the scene and try to rebuild his bond with the victim (if she is even comfortable with that) and other parties who have lost trust in him. And if not just be happy he didn't do anything worse when he was drunk and live his life understanding his mistake and growing from it.

Also he should drop drinking if that's what happens when he blacks out.

It really isn't a good excuse. If you're prone to being a cunt or a sexual harasser when you get drunk then it's your responsibility to not put yourself in that fucking situation (at least not around other people). period.

Thats horrifying, hope shes ok and fuck that guy

She gets molested on a bed he's sleeping on. Someone else steps in. Happens again 15 minutes later and someone else has to step in again.

Was this guy in a coma?

What, are you suggesting he was pretending to be asleep and let it happen? Or should be dumped because his body never woke up? We don't even know if anyone tried wake him.

kirblar

What in the actual fuck, 18%!? I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around that. I didn't expect so high a percentage from a western country. I wonder how other countries compare
It's not 18% of men doing the assaults- it's a smaller %, but they often leave multiple victims in their wake. :-/

dity

Was this guy in a coma?

He could have been flat out drunk himself, or just a heavy sleeper.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think the people who are trying to defend Hyuga as harmless are almost as bad as the guy himself personally.

I bet a lot of the people who liked that twitter comment were people who rail about SJW's and "PC culture" being responsible for not being able to be a blatant racist/sexist/misogynist in public and whatnot.

If you can't control your own self in a room full of people to not act a fool, you don't deserve leniency against any judgement your actions may bring against you

It really isn't a good excuse. If you're prone to being a cunt or a sexual harasser when you get drunk then it's your responsibility to not put yourself in that fucking situation (at least not around other people). period.

This. Unfortunately the fact alcohol is the LEGAL drug, binge drinking and acting a fool is way too socially acceptable.

Weed needs to become legal.

KingJ2002

damn shame... this is going to mess with her for the rest of her life most likely. As for Hyuga... drunk nights leads to you losing your inhibition, not your mind... i never buy that "i was drunk" or "i don't remember" bs.

I hope he learns from this situation and grows from it. Friends gone, sponsors gone, publically humiliated... he needs to start over and remember that drunk shit wont fly... treat the women in your life right.

Sakujou

Banned
alcohol is no excuse, but still there is a certain degree of judging a person.
they should meet and talk.

i dont know how old they are (i got smashed*word pun* like that when i was 16-22 too, with alcohol but i never touched a girl, i only often woke up at weird places)
but this kind of thing is normal to do in the early adulthood.

Daft Punk

Banned
There's doing dumb shit and there's breaking the law/molesting/groping people. I've been plenty drunk plenty of times and never did anything like that. If you do, or if you blackout and can't remember what you are doing, you should probably learn to control your drinking or not drink at all.

That's probably the reason why they probably didn't throw him completely out the first time. You got drunk and was getting touchy feely? Ok, wake your ass up, go sleep in the corner or whatever, and chill out. Twice and you moved beds to do it? Now you're going too far.

Platy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

Canada :

The most frequently cited research on sexual violence was conducted by Statistics Canada in 1992, which involved a national random sample of 12,300 women (Johnson and Sacco, 1995). The research found that over one in three women had experienced a sexual assault and that only 6% of sexual assaults were reported to the police.[60] According to Justice Institute of British Columbia, one out of every 17 women is raped, 62% of rape victims were physically injured, 9% were beaten or disfigured.[61]

Finland :

According to a 2014 study published by the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights, approximately 47% of women surveyed in Finland were said to have suffered physical and/or sexual abuse; which was the second highest rate after Denmark.[73][108] Finland was one of the last countries in the EU to criminalize marital rape, making it illegal in 1994, after years of debate.[109]

Norway

The incidence of reported rape in Norway for 2010 is given as ca. 35 out of 100 000; there is no in-depth national statistic.[167] A report released in February 2014, found that 9.4 percent of the 2435 women surveyed and 1.1 percent of the 2091 interviewed men stated that they were raped.[168]

UK

According to the NCPCC, 1 in 20 children have been sexually abused in the UK.[258] 12% of boys and 3% of girls reported committing sexual violence against their partners.[259] In 2013, a Ministry of Justice report stated that only 15 per cent of victims of the most serious sexual offences reported the incident to the police.[260]
A Rape Crisis survey found that one third of the 1000 women surveyed thought that if a woman did not fight back, then she could not have experienced rape; while 60% thought that a woman could not have experienced rape if she didn't say 'no'.[261]
According the the charity Rape Crisis 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped each year in England and Wales, and only 15% of victims chose to report the crime to police.

alcohol is no excuse, but still there is a certain degree of judging a person.
they should meet and talk.

i dont know how old they are (i got smashed*word pun* like that when i was 16-22 too, with alcohol but i never touched a girl, i only often woke up at weird places)
but this kind of thing is normal to do in the early adulthood.

If that happened to me I wouldn't want to meet/talk to the person, ever. I don't know what you mean by a certain degree of judging.

Chiggs

Thats horrifying, hope shes ok and fuck that guy

What, are you suggesting he was pretending to be asleep and let it happen? Or should be dumped because his body never woke up? We don't even know if anyone tried wake him.

No, but if I'm related to the woman who was assaulted, here are my questions for DJ Jack:

1. Why did you let the guy stay in the room with you? Do you really know him?
2. Exactly how trashed were you when you offered him a place to stay?
3. Did anyone try to wake you up to let you know what happened? Both times?
4. Has anyone explained the rationale of moving her to a different bed when an assault just took place?

Going off what we know, I think there's a great deal of poor decision-making at hand, along with some level of negligence by multiple people in the room.

Memory

I can't believe people are defending this guy... smh. The guy straight up molested her and pursued her when she moved aaway to do it again. What would have happened if she was alone or heavily intoxicated herself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom