• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the alcohol's fault, though. He's totally harmless.

HcWaWMY.png

The hell...
Yeah the guy may have problems but he has to own up to those problems instead of sweeping them under a rug. Excusing them due to alcohol won't help him fix his issues.

Wanderer5

It was the alcohol's fault, though. He's totally harmless.

HcWaWMY.png

Harmless eh? Well if he really is a good person otherwise and will work to improve from this then good for him, but this was a very horrible thing to do even when he was drunk, and thus some consequences shall be.

Daft Punk

Banned
Geek culture doesn't have a woman problem no not at all.

Once again, this is not a "geek culture" thing. Anytime you have a large gathering of people for an event or what have you that has a relaxed, almost party like atmosphere, you're always going to get a group of people who can't handles themselves.

dity

No, but if I'm related to the woman who was assaulted, here are my questions for DJ Jack:

1. Why did you let the guy stay in the room with you? Do you really know him?
2. Exactly how trashed were you when you offered him a place to stay?
3. Did anyone try to wake you up to let you know what happened? Both times?
4. Has anyone explained the rationale of moving her to a different bed when an assault just took place?

Going off what we know, I think there's a great deal of poor decision-making at hand, along with some level of negligence by multiple people in the room.

It just looks like you're clawing for someone else to blame or something. Hyuga is the sicko here. Be angry at him. Not anyone else. Vikki did the right thing, the people who woke up tried to help her, then someone kicked Hyuga out of the room.

Chindogg

The hell...
Yeah the guy may have problems but he has to own up to those problems instead of sweeping them under a rug. Excusing them due to alcohol won't help him fix his issues.

To be fair he did own up to his problems, apologized, and promised to correcting his behavior in regards to drinking as well as interacting with others on his Twitter account before he deleted it.

I hope she'll be ok and people around her will be a great support.

Now regarding Hyuga I'm no judge to decide what he should have but for sure I'm hoping he gets something. The judge should take into account that he tried many times despite the fact she clearly said him no and even when someone made her changing bed so she's not next to him.

Alcohol is clearly no excuse.

Sakujou

Banned
If that happened to me I wouldn't want to meet/talk to the person, ever. I don't know what you mean by a certain degree of judging.

i dont know what kind of person this hyuga is, but alcohol changes a lot. iam really sorry to hear, that this kind of thing happened in the gaming-sphere. especially after all this weird crap with #gamergate.

but judging like this, people arent better than IS-people and their way of punishing.
if you steal, cut off his hands and stuff like that.

people deserve a chance.
this hyuga person will be publically have problems for the rest of the life because of this stuff, so why ban him? i mean, you could have banned him temporarily.

we are civilized people, we are able to talk/communicate, so there should be a way to work this out. a simple ban for the rest of his life is not, what i would call a solution.

I can't believe people are defending this guy... smh. The guy straight up molested her and pursued her when she moved aaway to do it again. What would have happened if she was alone or heavily intoxicated herself?
The cognitive dissonance at play despite her own sordid account of what happened are certainly something.

Dunkley

No, but if I'm related to the woman who was assaulted, here are my questions for DJ Jack:

4. Has anyone explained the rationale of moving her to a different bed when an assault just took place?

Going off what we know, I think there's a great deal of poor decision-making at hand, along with some level of negligence by multiple people in the room.

DJ Jack was probably just trying to be nice. People let me sleep on their floors before at conventions (and generally let others too) and if someone seems harmless enough people generally just agree to it if they don't think that person can make it back to their own place themselves, which given how drunk Hyuga might have been was perhaps just the case.

Moving her to a different bed definitely sounds like a call to make when people are half-asleep, chances are most of the people in the room didn't grasp the situation up until the second time.

With that said, alcohol alone doesn't make people do that, and Hyuga definitely deserves what's coming to him for all of this.

I'd try find this all out before "dump him asap" though.

EDIT: Removed part where Mistaked victim as related to poster, my bad

dity

This has very little to do with "geek culture." It's the same everywhere.

Once again, this is not a "geek culture" thing. Anytime you have a large gathering of people for an event or what have you that has a relaxed, almost party like atmosphere, you're always going to get a group of people who can't handles themselves.

Yes, but this stuff keeps happening at geek culture events. "It happens everywhere" doesn't excuse the fact that the community is, like, half ok with this. People in the community are defending him. That's a god damn geek culture problem.

Maximo

Let no man who's ever done stupid shit when drunk cast the first stone. It's a drug that if you take too much of it a make you do stupid shit. My best "worst" ideas happen when I'm drunk, I've learned not to act on them. However, I've never sexually molested anyone while drunk but I have a friend who has. He has no recollection of the events the next day and is genuinely remorseful. All I can do is warn him when I think he's getting to the point of too much by saying "Mr Octopus".

I don't excuse or condone it, but I understand.

There is a big difference between doing something stupid like pissing on a wall or stealing someones mailbox, to SEXUALLY ASSAULTING someone. That is not doing stupid shit that is someone that either is a piece of shit or clearly has problems with drinking and needs to seek help, I doubt this would be the first time he has tried something like this because he either would have stopped drinking if he did.

Tal

That attitude of "But I'm not a molester, I'm a nice guy!" is way too common. You'll even see it with straight-up rapists who refuse to accept what they've done, and make up all sorts of excuses to justify or diminish it because they're a nice guy, they couldn't do something like that.

SomTervo

Disgusting. Being drunk is not a blank check. Dude has issues.

Yep. This probably just shattered her entire world.

She's probably going to think twice before sharing a room with somebody she doesn't know for the rest of her life - and no-one should have to do that.

Chiggs

It just looks like you're clawing for someone else to blame or something. Hyuga is the sicko here. Be angry at him. Not anyone else. Vikki did the right thing, the people who woke up tried to help her, then someone kicked Hyuga out of the room.

Oh, he's definitely the sicko. And brazen.

Great group of friends in the room, though. Spot a woman being assaulted on a bed next to her zonked out boyfriend, move her to a new bed and let the sicko stay in the room, presumably laying next to boyfriend. 15 minutes pass and he does it again. Okay, mister, now we're really serious--you're outta here.

Wtf. I realize that hindsight is 20/20 here, but it's really bizarre.

To be fair he did own up to his problems, apologized, and promised to correcting his behavior in regards to drinking as well as interacting with others on his Twitter account before he deleted it.

Oh, didn't know this. Hopefully he will get the help he needs then. But until then he needs to be far away from the community and alcohol.

dity

Great group of friends in the room, though. Spot a woman being assaulted on a bed next to her zonked out boyfriend, move her to a new bed and let the sicko stay in the room, presumably laying next to boyfriend. 15 minutes pass and he does it again. Okay, mister, now we're really serious--you're outta here.

The dude was evidently pretty drunk. They probably didn't expect him to follow her.

You're making a lot of assumptions about a situation we know little about. What we know for a fact is that she was assaulted by Hyuga, which he admits.

I think we should leave conjecturing about the boyfriend out of this.

Greddleok

Yes, but this stuff keeps happening at geek culture events. "It happens everywhere" doesn't excuse the fact that the community is, like, half ok with this. People in the community are defending him. That's a god damn geek culture problem.

No, you'll get apologists everywhere. See slut shaming, see the Mayor of Cologne etc.

Chiggs

You're making a lot of assumptions about a situation we know little about. What we know for a fact is that she was assaulted by Hyuga, which he admits.

I think we should leave conjecturing about the boyfriend out of this.

It's true, details are really limited. I'll refrain from filling in the blanks, but it's a little difficult after reading her message.

Tenebrous

Not trying to be insensitive here, but how can the USA be 17% when South Africa, one of the very worst on the globe according to that page, had in 2012, 127.6 reported rapes per 100,000 people in the country? Even if only one in ten were reported, that'd still barely be above a percentile. I do understand that's just for one year, though...

Not trying to trivialize one of the most terrifying things a person could go through - I'm just curious about the stats. Some of these SA facts, though... I wish I hadn't read them.
"In 2013 a study of 1991 grade nine boys at 46 secondary schools in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth found that 17.2% had raped."

Moff

I wish defending rapists was limited to geek culture. Sadly misoginy is a problem everywhere in society.

I don't think it is the right time to be defending Evo on the grounds of "a lot of people came, some people suck". Do it in another thread.

lol at people defending him.

I don't want him to be punished in disproportionate ways but he has to have some sort of sanction / punition / judgment.

Of course he can try to talk with Nick so she can see what kind of person he really is but like I said alcohol is no excuse. Actually alcohol just shows even more what you'd be capable of without fear. So yeah it doesn't mean that he's a rapist but it does at least mean that he has issues with women and sexuality. Maybe nothing that big but he may lack confidence so while totally drunk he think like there's a sort of free pass because in his mind everyone is happy and open minded...
I've been drunk a lot of times, I've had blackouts and I've been in bed with women even alone but I've never done something like that. Even in bed with very nice and beautiful ones. You can be sure that if a women wants you she knows perfectly how to trigger things, so don't do sh*t while drunk. You better miss an opportunity while drunk than do something stupid. And again if she likes you, you can be sure that he'll be easier when both of you are not drunk. Else it's at best a little fun mistake for both of you (so this means both drunk but she wanted too).

Again I'm no judge, I'm no psychologist but it's not something normal. And for the people that think it's not that bad then that's the problem. Society has to change so acts like this aren't seen as normal or not a big deal for many. Clearly if it changes like this, less people will do stupid things and victims will more have the courage to talk.

Glad there was other people. We don't know what could have happen if they were alone (again here it's to open eyes of some people here, I'm not saying Hyuga is a rapist but he must realize the stupidity and the importance of its acts).

dity

No, you'll get apologists everywhere. See slut shaming, see the Mayor of Cologne etc.

And that excuses the people in the geek community doing it... how?

The geek community needs to take responsibility for stuff like this preemptively and have zero tolerance. Let it known that stuff like this will have consequences. Because all the perverts probably think about events like this one with Hyuga is "that won't happen to me".

Mendrox

That still has nothing to do with geek cultures. There are defenders everywhere for shit like this.

I wonder if it would be preferable to be molested by a "good person" rather than a bad one.
Not trying to be insensitive here, but how can the USA be 17% when South Africa, one of the very worst on the globe according to that page, had in 2012, 127.6 reported rapes per 100,000 people in the country? Even if only one in ten were reported, that'd still barely be above a percentile. I do understand that's just for one year, though...

Not trying to trivialize one of the most terrifying things a person could go through - I'm just curious about the stats. Some of these SA facts, though... I wish I hadn't read them.
"In 2013 a study of 1991 grade nine boys at 46 secondary schools in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth found that 17.2% had raped."
The key there is in the word reported. It largely goes unreported in some places more than others depending on laws, the culture, the support (perceived or otherwise) that women get after the fact, and so forth. It's also reported and counted differently in some countries so that the numbers aren't always directly comparable. Those two factors are a reason why a country like Sweden has more reported incidences of rape than, say, India. (Which is obviously not the reality of it.)

What he did is deplorable. IMO, all alcohol does is liberate the monster(s) you have inside you.

They were always there. Society's rules, laws, and etiquette merely keep them repressed.

He needs help.

Traxtech

I'm sorry but no, there is nothing justifiable by this guys actions. Hope he gets what is coming to him, pathetic.

The key there is in the word reported. It largely goes unreported in some places more than others depending on laws, the culture, the support (perceived or otherwise) that women get after the fact, and so forth. It's also reported and counted differently in some countries so that the numbers aren't always directly comparable. Those two factors are a reason why a country like Sweden has more reported incidences of rape than, say, India. (Which is obviously not the reality of it.)

I can't access the study statistics but it appears the wiki links are rates reported between 2010-2012, which may not be lifetime rates but instead only incidents occurring during those years. The 18% quoted earlier in the thread is measured over a person's entire life, which might explain the discrepancy.

I wish defending rapists was limited to geek culture. Sadly misoginy is a problem everywhere in society.

What he did is deplorable. IMO, all alcohol does is liberate the monster(s) you have inside you.

They were always there. Society's rules, laws, and etiquette merely keep them repressed.

He needs help.

Ok you wrote in 1+3 lines what I couldn't wrote in 2 or 3 posts :p
Totally agree with both of you.

The worst part about blacking out after doing something awful, is you have no memory of committing the act. Therefore it's much harder for a lot of people to take full responsibility and not put the blame towards the alcohol. Which unfortunately means it's liable to happen again unless he quits drinking or can be disciplined enough to only have a drink or two.

Tagg9

Complete filth.

If this is what you do when drinking a lot of alcohol, then you should not drink alcohol! There are no excuses for this behaviour. Imagine if you murdered someone while drunk! You think being intoxicated excuses it? Unbelievable.

Sandfox

The geek community needs to take responsibility for stuff like this preemptively and have zero tolerance. Let it known that stuff like this will have consequences. Because all the perverts probably think about events like this one with Hyuga is "that won't happen to me".

He never said otherwise. You're trying to blame geek culture specifically and trash them when it's a problem with society.

dity

That still has nothing to do with geek cultures. There are defenders everywhere for shit like this.

So bloody what? This is happening in geek culture. This stuff happens at conventions and tournaments every year and no one even thinks about it until it happens. Then people within the community defend it.

Category: People do things like this everywhere.
Sub-Category: It happens in geek culture often.

Maybe make the events alcohol-free. Maybe enforce limits to how many people can be in a room. Do something. Don't just deflect it onto a societal issue.

Its not exclusive to geek culture. See the way you are writing, is as if the culture of "geek" is somehow responsible. Such inane, inflammatory accusations(being geek is literally irrelevant when it happens everywhere, that is what is being told to you) comes off as accusatory. Yes, we get it, you might get off on blaming it on geek culture(to reiterate, when it comes to sexual harassment, which happens everywhere, meaning whether or not someone is a geek is irrelevant), but you're fighting a losing battle of accusations here.

As for what you said, yes there are consequences. Its called the Law. The way you make it sound you have never heard of laws against sexual harassment.(there will be consequences? Like bruh, did you read that they filed a police report?)

Inflammatory posts like yours are a trite annoying.

Tumle

Fuck that guy and shame on anyone supporting him.
I support him in getting help with his problem.. I hope that's ok..:)
He has a mental problem.. It's no excuse for what he did.. But unless he's a raving psychopath.. He has other mental issues he need's to get sorted out before coming back..

So bloody what? This is happening in geek culture. This stuff happens at conventions and tournaments every year and no one even thinks about it until it happens. Then people within the community defend it.

Maybe make the events alcohol-free. Maybe enforce limits to how many people can be in a room. Do something. Don't just deflect it onto a societal issue.

This happens in culture period. This happens far more often at frat parties, college campuses, bars, night clubs, sporting events, ect...far more often than gaming conventions or fighting tournaments. It's not isolated to any one kind of sub-culture, and doing so does nothing to help root it out.

Greddleok

Where did I say it excuses anyone? You're arguing against someone else here...

Daft Punk

Banned

I think you want to make geek culture the scapegoat when this is an overarching problem in general.

Tenebrous

This happens in culture period. This happens far more often at frat parties, college campuses, bars, night clubs, sporting events, ect...far more often than gaming conventions or fighting tournaments. It's not isolated to any one kind of sub-culture, and doing so does nothing to help root it out.

We obviously know we can't root it out of society as a whole, but surely the gaming community can try to root it out of itself? Not saying it isn't already trying, but there's always more that can be done, right?

We obviously know we can't root it out of society as a whole, but surely the gaming community can try to root it out of itself? Not saying it isn't already trying, but there's always more that can be done.

It's on society as a whole, it's not a "gaming problem". There isn't anything inherent to "gamers" that makes them more likely to sexually abuse or molest someone. It's around in every aspect of society. And the way to "root" it out is just what happened in this situation. Speak up and make the perpetrator face real consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom