• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

The only thing I'm gonna post about this. Not gonna answer anything, unless it's PM.

I read a lot of both sides and I think that both are giving emotional answers, wait a couple days so you can cool off and then think about it. Because all I'm seeing is people talking the first thing that comes from their minds and not people discussing about the news.

Edit: Also, there's always two sides of the coin.

In this kind of cases you see all the sides and all the proof before you start talking.

Why bother posting if you wont discuss anything?

All that tells me is that its a waste of time reading anything you write.

Spman2099

The only thing I'm gonna post about this. Not gonna answer anything, unless it's PM.

I read a lot of both sides and I think that both are giving emotional answers, wait a couple days so you can cool off and then think about it. Because all I'm seeing is people talking the first thing that comes from their minds and not people discussing about the news.

In this kind of cases you see all the sides and all the proof before you start talking.

I love that other side... Completely changes the complexion of the argument.

daxy

This girl should press charges. In a year that Hyuga miscreant will laugh this off and everybody else forget about it, but she will have to carry that shit for the rest of her life. One year ban? What kind of amateur hour show is Evo running here. If it's community backlash they're worried about then they should coalesce around a community of people that actually respects other people's rights and treats these kinds of offenses seriously.

Spman2099

Reading that shit, some people care more about a game and a community than the victim and the crime.

It seems like the majority are extremely supportive of Hyuga, the guy that just sexually assaulted someone. I had no idea the Smash community was this scummy. I used to think that the FGC in general was bad, but now I see who the real worst case scenario is. Disgusting.

This is really disgusting. I think she should press charges but fully understand why she isn't. He should be banned for life and ideally should face criminal charges. This sets an awful precedent going forward and only makes the situation worse for women in the community.

This girl should press charges. In a year that Hyuga miscreant will laugh this off and everybody else forget about it, but she will have to carry that shit for the rest of her life. One year ban? What kind of amateur hour show is Evo running here. If it's community backlash they're worried about then they should coalesce around a community of people that actually respects other people's rights and treats these kinds of offenses seriously.

the one year ban has nothing to do with Evo, it was a group of players who organize big Smash tournaments that will not allow him at their tournaments for one year and recommend others to follow suit. I don't think EVO has said anything about this issue yet.

pastrami

A one year ban for crawling into bed with someone and putting your hands down their pants? Sounds reasonable. Wait, no, ridiculous. Sounds ridiculous. What does it take to get more than a one year ban?

NotLiquid

I want to say I'm not surprised he's only being let off this lightly considering the FGC in general has let guys like this off with merely slaps on the wrists several times in the past (Noel Brown most infamously), and yet I'm surprised nonetheless.

Part of me doesn't expect Hyuga to even bother showing up for tourneys after the year ban runs out considering the level of dissent he's amassed from the scene and it's biggest names. I don't expect him to ever feel welcomed to a tourney again. His presence is going to make things intensely uncomfortable.

Veldin

So the Smash TOs are basically sending the message that sexual assault in the Smash community is okay so long as you take a year off.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

oni-link

So the Smash TOs are basically sending the message that sexual assault in the Smash community is okay so long as you take a year off.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

They should ask themselves this:

Would you feel safe to let him sleep in your room, with your girlfriend, while drunk, in a years time?

If the answer is no, the ban is too short

Then ask this:

Would you ever be happy to let him sleep in a room, drunk, with a female friend?

If the answer is no, he should be banned for life

Out of curiosity, would any of you let someone who has done this drunkenly crash at your place?

SomTervo

Rape culture lives on.

Yep. Let's do a dance. A dance of ongoing trauma and tragedy. The dance boogies on.

There are two sides to a coin. The one you can see and the other you can't because I've decided to hide it against the palm of my hand. It's a really good side, trust me, and I could show it to you if you want, but only if you say the magic words.

Read out of context this ranks as one of the most trippy things I've ever read.

Having read the context: on-point.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I dont turn into a rapey creep when drunk. Dude has issues and is a predator. Most rape is committed by the same few fucks. Put him in jail and get him therapy if possible. Ignoring it not gonna make it better.

She should definitely press charges and he should be banned for life.

Dr. Letz Shake

Neo Member

I was sexually assaulted numerous times in a hotel room and the car ride on my way to the hotel room by someone who was later desperate to show "both sides of the coin." Their other side was them blaming me entirely and acting like I wanted it and actively threatening to make me seem like the one who did it. The other side of the coin is cowardice and self preservation on the part of a criminal. The proof was there when it happened. This attitude is why more victims don't come forward.

This fucking sexual predator needs to be criminally charged and banned for life. Ridiculous.

In vino veritas. What you are capable while drunk, you are capable while sober.

ibrahima

Banned
Lol they're basing the length of the ban on noel brown. A fucking year, lol, I really doubt this will end well for the smash scene.

Unfortunately, I saw this coming.

This is the exact same punishment scheme that another community used when a player was caught on tape groping a woman in a crowd while leaving an event.

Like all things, there are degrees to sexual assault. Putting your hands down another person's pants, twice, is in a whole 'nother league than the other incident.

This one needed, and deserved, the lifetime ban.

Edit:

Lol they're basing the length of the ban on noel brown. A fucking year, lol, I really doubt this will end well for the smash scene.

Noel Brown. That's the guy that I was referring to.

Wouldnt he just get deported?

Akronis

Would you feel safe to let him sleep in your room, with your girlfriend, while drunk, in a years time?

Then ask this:

Would you ever be happy to let him sleep in a room, drunk, with a female friend?

Out of curiosity, would any of you let someone who has done this drunkenly crash at your place?

Fuck no. That's a one and done situation. That isn't a little mistake. That's relationship ruining shit.

Joey Ravn

Banned

How the fuck does someone say "I have proof but I'm not showing it" with a straight face? And how does his bluff (because until he shows anything, it's a bluff) prove that there are "two sides of the coin"?

There are two sides to a coin. The one you can see and the other you can't because I've decided to hide it against the palm of my hand. It's a really good side, trust me, and I could show it to you if you want, but only if you say the magic words.

On second thought I won't anyways, or else they will cry on twitter.

Akronis

How the fuck does someone say "I have proof but I'm not showing it" with a straight face? And how does his bluff (because until he shows anything, it's a bluff) prove that there are "two sides of the coin"?

It doesn't, it's just a not so clever way of getting people who already downplaying this to point to it as proof to say that she instigated it or something. Left intentionally open so people can assume what they want.

What makes you think that?

Nozem

If all parties involved are happy then 1 year is fine imo
I think so too.

But anyway, I can't imagine the player joining another event with everybody knowing about his history.

edit: I just read about several other players who did horrible shit and were welcomed back into the community. So disregard that.

Fuck this guy.

If you get 50 retweets, will you show me? ;-;

Zafir

Yeah that's totally rubbish. I could accept one year for the Noel Brown ass grab. This though? Way too damn short.

Then ask this:

Exactly, and definitely not.

SomTervo

Jesus fuck that thread in general.

The smash community sure does exemplify scummy.

Just had a peruse and the thread really doesn't seem that bad? Maybe I was ordering the posts wrong, though.

Then ask this:

Very well said mate.

Bgamer90

Banned
A one year ban is suitable for catching someone cheating in a tournament. Sexual molestation should be a lifetime ban in my opinion. Pretty surprised.

HotHamBoy

Rightfully so, and she could (should?) press charges.

She should, but she won't, because of the culture we live in. There is pressure everywhere for women to just stay quiet and try to move on.

But people need to learn that it's not okay just because you might get away with it.

And it's not the alcohol. I know I sure never tried to rape anyone when I was drunk.

A one year ban is suitable for catching someone cheating in a tournament. Sexual molestation should be a lifetime ban in my opinion. Pretty surprised.

Sexual assault (since you can't molest an adult, by law) definitely carries prison time with it. I'm assuming that's not an option, unfortunately, as it would also be a huge black mark on her career since the competitive gaming community is one of the worst.

Edit: By US law, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom