• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferr986

1 year is pathetic. What an embarassment.

what high horse are you talking about here? legal action should be taken, but a permanent ban for something that is your entire livelihood and passion seems medieval to me

What a weird thing to say. If you molest a co-worker you'll get kicked from your work forever.

Hell, there have been professional players (like football) suspended lifetime for smaller things.

Codeblue

One year seems light, but I'd be surprised if he shows his face again. I doubt the community is going to be as forgiving as some leadership group.

psyfi

Banned
Yes, it's common for victims to feel guilt for bringing their attackers to justice. Therapy can help alleviate that misplaced guilt.
It's really not your place to call their feelings misplaced, though. Everyone has a different idea of justice, and for many people, prison isn't the shining example. Regardless, it's her call. I know survivors can have a lot of internalized guilt / self-blame / etc., but that's not necessarily what's going on.

And if your concern is him not being in gaming spaces, then a lifetime ban will solve that.

ynthrepic

Banned
1 year is pathetic. What an embarassment.

What a weird thing to say. If you molest a co-worker you'll get kicked from your work forever.

Hell, there have been professional players (like football) suspended lifetime for smaller things.

this wasnt at work, and afaik theyre not from the same country at all.
if your work finds out you did something illegal in your personal life, its their decision to fire you, sure.

John Wick

Not everyone commits sexual assault when they're drunk. This guy did. He should be accountable and deal with the consequences.

I haven't stated anywhere that everyone would. I'm saying it increases the chances. Would he have attempted it being sober??? Alcohol affects individuals differently. Especially when your really drunk. Just being tipsy is massively different to being blotto.

Bladenic

The one year ban just sounds so, ugh, like "hey that's awful. But if you do it again, then we'll really punish you."

Something like this doesn't deserve just one year. I bet if he were caught cheating somehow, he would've received a lifetime ban (I don't actually know the rules so maybe it's not that severe but still).

Akibared

maybe not the appropriate word for demanding physical violence etc, but its still bringing out the tribal side of people here

the whole one chance mentality
people will probably never sponsor him, but exiling someone forever seems nutty

I believe in second chances but this is one of those horrible things where I feel like you don't deserve a second chance.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's really not your place to call their feelings misplaced, though. Everyone has a different idea of justice, and for many people, prison isn't the shining example. Regardless, it's her call. I know survivors can have a lot of internalized guilt / self-blame / etc., but that's not necessarily what's going on.

The guilt is misplaced. Guilt is not empathy or remorse. Guilt is a feeling of wrong doing. There is nothing wrong with seeking justice for a transgression.

And if your concern is him not being in gaming spaces, then a lifetime ban will solve that.

My concern is him being a danger to people anywhere, not just in gaming spaces. A ban keeps him away from gaming spaces. Registering as a sex offender is a measure that goes beyond.

I respect her decision not to press charges, but I wish she would.

John Wick

I can't believe people are saying she hasn't pressed charges because of guilt or other such bullshit.
We all know what happened to a certain other female???? Gamergate wasn't it???
I think she knows what'll happen if she presses charges. I wouldn't either in her position. If she wants to succeed in gaming otherwise the lonely boys will have a field day. Feel absolutely gutted for her. She's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Krejlooc

Banned
I can't believe people are saying she hasn't pressed charges because of guilt or other such bullshit.
We all know what happened to a certain other female???? Gamergate wasn't it???
I think she knows what'll happen if she presses charges. I wouldn't either in her position. If she wants to succeed in gaming otherwise the lonely boys will have a field day. Feel absolutely gutted for her. She's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Guilt is indeed a reason many women do not press charges, particularly if the attacker is a family member. It's so common to hear that they didn't want to tear up their family, or send a friend to jail, or ruin someone's lives. Yes, in this case, she makes it clear in her response that societal pressure is a huge, primary factor. But guilt is a common factor as well. The guilt is misplaced, of course, but it occurs. That is not to say that this woman would feel guilt, but it wouldn't surprise me if she did.

I would expect she's feeling a lot of different, raw emotions right now. That's part of the reason posts criticizing her behavior ("Why is she posting about video games???") are so disgusting. Her actions should not be under a microscope.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People should quit equating banning him for life from fighting game community as a ban of his livelihood. He *can* pursue other field to work in, you know, especially since he's still such a young person and moreover, the lady has decided not to press charges against him.

Krejlooc

Banned
You know, you're fighting the good fight but goddamn you might be one of the most patronizing users I've ever seen in GAF.

Whom exactly am I patronizing? It is irrefutable that there people in this thread, who claim to be community members, who are preaching forgiveness for this guy.

ironmang

I'm not blaming anyone. But always throw caution to the wind when Alcohol is involved and if the person isn't a close friend. He was drunk they could have gotten him a room with one of the guys or shared with other guys.

She's probably decided to not press charges because internet wankers will bully her just like certain other female......... She'll end up suffering more because sad little boys will harass her.

They probably had the room booked weeks in advance. If the couple is sharing a room with two friends already then they're probably not going to book a room for a drunk acquaintance.

"Why aren't there more women in eSports?"

This. This is exactly why. It's not exclusive to the FGC, it has always been this way.

It's not an esports problem, it's a society problem. I bet people basing the stereotypes off of the few bad apples has more to do with driving women away from esports than anything else.

psyfi

Banned
The guilt is misplaced. Guilt is not empathy or remorse. Guilt is a feeling of wrong doing. There is nothing wrong with seeking justice for a transgression.
It might not be guilt though. It might be compassion, a different philosophy on justice, fear of backlash, etc. I have no idea and neither do you.

My concern is him being a danger to people anywhere, not just in gaming spaces. A ban keeps him away from gaming spaces. Registering as a sex offender is a measure that goes beyond.

I get that. There's no telling if he'll actually learn and change, he might go on and assault someone else. But sometimes survivors decide to not press charges anyways, with a myriad of valid possible reasons.

oni-link

A one year ban seems pretty lenient, we should be sending out very strong message to anyone who does this kind of thing that it won't be tolerated at all

It shouldn't matter that it might "ruin their life", they ruined their own life when they decided to do something like this to another person, others have posted the statistics for these crimes and they're far too prevalent as it is, and they can cause so much harm to the victims

He should have had a lifetime ban

Krejlooc

Banned
It might not be guilt though. It might be compassion, a different philosophy on justice, fear of backlash, etc. I have no idea and neither do you.

My original post was generalized ("many victims often feel guilt"), no where did I say this woman actually feels guilty. But if she does feel guilty, and to be clear here, we're talking about feelings of guilt, not compassion or fear of backlash or anything else, then it's misplaced. Feeling guilty after an attack is absolutely a misplaced emotion.

You're splitting hairs to say the same thing.

psyfi

Banned
My original post was generalized, no where did I say this woman actually feels guilty. But if she does feel guilty, and to be clear here, we're talking about feelings of guilt, not compassion or fear of backlash or anything else, then it's misplaced. Feeling guilty after an attack is absolutely a misplaced emotion.
Yes, a misplaced emotion that people are allowed to have and which should be respected.

You're splitting hairs to say the same thing.
Nah, I just don't agree with you. I believe survivor's wishes should be listened to, end of story. Their wishes are valid and their guilt is valid, even if they'll later come to shed it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yes, a misplaced emotion that people are allowed to have and which should be respected.

This is like arguing that people are allowed to be depressed and their depression should be respected. Said guilt is destructive, which is why recommending treatment to get over it isn't awful.

Compassion isn't treated by therapists, but guilt is.

Keikaku

Can't believe the following:
  1. This guy only got a 1 year ban for molesting/assaulting a woman twice in one night
  2. That there are people in this thread defending him at all
  3. That there are people in this thread blaming the boyfriend
Sadly, having lurked in many a GAF thread, it's all too common to see people blaming the woman so I can believe that. Ugh.

I'm glad the lady came forward and I hope she gets the support and help she needs. I can only hope the perpetrator gets pursued to the fullest extent of the law.

I don't understand this. It's ok to post online about it publicly, but not contact the authorities? That doesn't sit easily with me at all. I do hope she's ok, and this is just systematic of the upset/worry that she's going through at the moment - but I'm not convinced she's getting great advice from those close to her.

janoDX

The only thing I'm gonna post about this. Not gonna answer anything, unless it's PM.

I read a lot of both sides and I think that both are giving emotional answers, wait a couple days so you can cool off and then think about it. Because all I'm seeing is people talking the first thing that comes from their minds and not people discussing about the news.

Edit: Also, there's always two sides of the coin.

In this kind of cases you see all the sides and all the proof before you start talking.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
If all parties involved are happy then 1 year is fine imo

Mendrox

The only thing I'm gonna post about this. Not gonna answer anything, unless it's PM.

I read a lot of both sides and I think that both are giving emotional answers, wait a couple days so you can cool off and then think about it. Because all I'm seeing is people talking the first thing that comes from their minds and not people discussing about the news.

In this kind of cases you see all the sides and all the proof before you start talking.

It's bullshit as long as nothing is said.

hodgy100

posts obscure whatifisms refuses to discuss it.

yeha this isnt grasping at straws at-all. if theses an actual problem say it, saying "i wont say it but i know things" adds nothing to your credibility.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There are two sides to a coin. The one you can see and the other you can't because I've decided to hide it against the palm of my hand. It's a really good side, trust me, and I could show it to you if you want, but only if you say the magic words.

to post about a guy who says there's more to the story but won't say anything. see, both sides!

It's a subversive way of slut shaming. I guarantee what he's "heard" is that she was being flirty with him (probably just being nice) and he got mixed messages and she freaked out because someone else noticed or some other nonsense. You know, that or saying she has a history of these kinds of interactions to make Hyuga the victim her.

The only explanation for not airing out what you know is if you barely even believe it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A whole year ban huh? Sends a strong message to other female players that the organizers don't take molesting seriously. Show up at your own risk ladies, because these guys don't have your back at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom