• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let no man who's ever done stupid shit when drunk cast the first stone. It's a drug that if you take too much of it a make you do stupid shit. My best "worst" ideas happen when I'm drunk, I've learned not to act on them. However, I've never sexually molested anyone while drunk but I have a friend who has. He has no recollection of the events the next day and is genuinely remorseful. All I can do is warn him when I think he's getting to the point of too much by saying "Mr Octopus".

I don't excuse or condone it, but I understand.

Nope. Sorry nope. You're enabling now sad to say.

Read.

I was very clear.

You must not be aware of what's going on in American college campuses.

Again, it's not about blame shifting, but empowering people to make better choices.

I already said the molester is fully guilty.

Then educate people on what is considered sexual assault. Alcohol education isn't going to change anything

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It was the alcohol's fault, though. He's totally harmless.

HcWaWMY.png

Yeah okay. I believe you, ( . Y . ).

Let no man who's ever done stupid shit when drunk cast the first stone. It's a drug that if you take too much of it a make you do stupid shit. My best "worst" ideas happen when I'm drunk, I've learned not to act on them. However, I've never sexually molested anyone while drunk but I have a friend who has. He has no recollection of the events the next day and is genuinely remorseful. All I can do is warn him when I think he's getting to the point of too much by saying "Mr Octopus".

If your friend needs warning when he's drunk to not sexually molest people, may be, perhaps if he was truly remorseful and regretted his previous actions, he would stop drinking!

Jobbs

Banned

Um.. NO.

If you're the type of piece of shit who would do or say horrible things, alchohol may "unlock" that behavior, but if you're not a sexual predator it's not going to turn you into a sexual predator. Sorry. Don't lump everyone in with that piece of shit.

*casts the first FUCKING stone*

MUnited83

For you.
Because I was talking about the convention space, and not the hotel?
... that makes even less sense. People will drink after they get out of the convention, not before. And if they're entering the convention drunk, they will likely spend enough time at the convention to be sober when they get out.
Not to mention how hilariously unpractical it would be to have thousands of people taking the test.

dity

With Noel and now this the FGC is getting better at cracking down at this. Now we know to inform sponsors and tournament organizers to cut them off as soon as they do stuff like this. It's not perfect and we still got a long way to go but in the end it doesn't matter if people are trying to defend cuz we still got him. He's not getting away with it.

Plus when Smash reddit tells you you fucked up, you have no allies.

And I'm really glad that the people with power are finally responding to things like this and that Hyuga will not get away with his actions.

What I fear is when the people in power end up agreeing with the loud defenders, despite what happens. Or they just don't care and want to ignore it because these players = big money.

There IS NO acceptable cover for the actions being done. People sympathizing with the attacker because he was drunk is NO MORE COMMON then people sympathizing because they percieve some sort of victim culpability. We live in a culture where a judge will ask a rape victim "why couldn't you keep your legs closed". So removing alcohol does nothing for a tendency to shift blame away from attackers. We can only do that by continuing to refute such outlandish claims. Banning alcohol is simply submitting to the false idea that alcohol is the culprit. You are merely reinforcing an idea that you don't even agree with.

And by saying you "don't like hentei" I'm merely stating that you don't like its presence at conventions, so you falsely attribute it to the presence of sexual Assualt suspects at these events, when in reality, these people come for the same reasons as everyone else.

Getting rid of alcohol from the equation IMO removes an enabling environment. It's not saying it's the problem, and it's in no way removing all sexual assaults from occuring. The environment can enable it before it happens, and is used as an excuse after the fact.

Those panels would not attract all predators, but I guess I equate it to straight people going to Mardi Gras because they think they're going to get laid easy just because there's nudity there. There's probably people who go to those panels who think it's ok to do perverse things in public "because it's a panel, right?" They think they're participating.

Regardless, I agreed another user that this isn't really relevant anyway. PM me if you want to continue that particular line of discussion.

... that makes even less sense. People will drink after they get out of the convention, not before. And if they're entering the convention drunk, they will likely spend enough time at the convention to be sober when they get out.
Not to mention how hilariously unpractical it would be to have thousands of people taking the test.

Some conventions are active until the early hours of the morning. And I don't think it'd be that impractical. They gotta be checked to see if they can enter via a pass/lanyard/wrist strap anyway. And really I didn't say everyone would be checked. :/

Briarios

I have to be honest, I don't know how the guy got out of that room with his face intact. Someone molests someone I know in front of me, I'm going to make sure they can't hurt them anymore before the cops arrive. He should be thankful he's in one piece rather than complaining ...

tkscz

If alcohol "makes you do these things" stop drinking and never fucking touch it again. Own up to your actions and seek professional mental help. Or your a lying piece of shit that uses alcohol as a excuse for your actions and if so your human garbage that deserves the full extent of the law.

This.

If you're so drunk that you can't remember doing something this horrid TWICE, then it's time to stop drinking. Otherwise you are at fault. Dude CHOSE to drink. Doesn't matter how nice you are if you're not drinking. Don't drink.

fvng

Bro can the mods add the word allegedly to the title? I hope you understand the legal reasons why you have to use that word. So far this is accusation not a conviction, we can't say shit like this without any substantive evidence. You are condemning someone to a perception of guilt before all the facts are out

A felony sex offender record will be it's own reward here.

Bro can the mods add the word allegedly to the title? I hope you understand the legal reasons why you have to use that word. So far this is accusation not a conviction, we can't say shit like this without any substantive evidence

He's admitted to it.

Bluenoser

Alcohol doesn't change people. Guy is just a piece of shit.

You're right it doesn't change a person, but it severely alters a person's ability to use good judgement, and their awareness of their surroundings.

Drunk or not, this act was inexcusable though, and I guess you had to be there to understand how it could have even went down, because I'm confused as fuck as to why after the first incident, everyone in the room was not woken up, and kicking the shit out of him. The fact that they let him stay was horrible judgement on their part.

Jobbs

Banned
I have to be honest, I don't know how the guy got out of that room with his face intact. Someone molests someone I know in front of me, I'm going to make sure they can't hurt them anymore before the cops arrive. He should be thankful he's in one piece rather than complaining ...

Real talk. I'm impressed no one in the room there knocked his teeth out. If someone molested my friend he wouldn't be handled delicately

Kyzon

Alcohol doesn't change people. Guy is just a piece of shit.

This is just untrue. Alcohol can effect people differently. When blackout drunk, it can be as if you're acting out of a dream state completely different from anything you'd actually imagine doing.

Doesn't excuse the fact that it's usually the person's fault for getting that drunk in the first place, but alcohol can make some people do a 180 completely.

Not an excuse for actions, but a possible reason why these things happen.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This is really unfortunate. I liked Hyuga and his Toon Link, but now he is doomed to irrelevance for sexual harassment. RiP, dumbass.

Beefy

If he had simply slapped her ass or something like that I could call it the guy being a twat while drunk. He would of still been in the wrong and would have had to apologies etc. But the shit he did is just sick, the guy is disgusting and deserves all he gets.

He chose to be that drunk. He's getting everything that he deserves. He might honestly be getting off easy.

As the word of this spreads: He's got no sponsors, he'll probably be banned from any Smash tourneys in America, he's banned from Smash tourneys in Brazil, and Mexico Smash will probably ban him. He's already said before deleting his twitter that he's not coming back to America.

E92 M3

You're right it doesn't change a person, but it severely alters a person's ability to use good judgement, and their awareness of their surroundings.

Drunk or not, this act was inexcusable though, and I guess you had to be there to understand how it could have even went down, because I'm confused as fuck as to why after the first incident, everyone in the room was not woken up, and kicking the shit out of him. The fact that they let him stay was horrible judgement on their part.

This is just untrue. Alcohol can effect people differently. When blackout drunk, it can be as if you're acting out of a dream state completely different from anything you'd actually imagine doing.

Doesn't excuse the fact that it's usually the person's fault for getting that drunk in the first place, but alcohol can make some people do a 180 completely.

Yes, guys, the person can be "in an altered state," but that altered state is something he naturally held back when not drunk. It's still him, but without inhibitions.

That's why I never consider "drunk" as a valid excuse.

No sorry. That was in him before the alcohol.

MUnited83

For you.
Bro can the mods add the word allegedly to the title? I hope you understand the legal reasons why you have to use that word. So far this is accusation not a conviction, we can't say shit like this without any substantive evidence. You are condemning someone to a perception of guilt before all the facts are out
"Legal reasons" lol wut? NeoGAF isn't a court, it doesn't need to do shit. Regardless, the dude admitted to it.

Some conventions are active until the early hours of the morning. And I don't think it'd be that impractical. They gotta be checked to see if they can enter via a pass/lanyard/wrist strap anyway. And really I didn't say everyone would be checked. :/
Hardly relevant what time the conventions end in. Unless you think people will come drunk to the convention and be out in 15 minutes? And if everyone doesn't get checked. who do you check then? Only the people that are super-visibly drunk, almost blacking out? Because you'll miss quite a lot of drunk people that way.

This is not a court of law. You watch too much TV. There are witnesses and he admitted it. gtfo.

As the word of this spreads: He's got no sponsors, he'll probably be banned from any Smash tourneys in America, he's banned from Smash tourneys in Brazil, and Mexico Smash will probably ban him. He's already said before deleting his twitter that he's not coming back to America.

He won't be able to come back after dodging arrest.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Smfh. Being drunk is not an excuse either. The fact the scumbag tried doing it twice just obliterates any shred of benefit of the doubt.

Yup. No excuse for being drunk.

I was really, really drunk one night and stayed at a female co workers house because it was late and we were closer to her house. She is attractive. And I did like her, still do.

I was so drunk parts of the night I dont remember. She said I was a perfect gentlemen. She told me I did some funny things that I dont even recall at the bar, at Walmart and at her house.

We were in another situation where we were both drunk at a party and nothing happened. This one time was a lil different because she may have been giving me the green light. But the type of guy I am I dont want a green light if we/you/I are drunk. It just doesnt feel right. Or you better damn well give me an absolute sure sign that its ok. If not I always err on the side of caution. Drunk or not.

Jobbs

Banned

No, please stop

If you're a normal person who likes kittens and your mother, would alcohol make you capable of stomping on a kitten? Punching your mother in the jaw?

I've never heard of that being the case ever, and so too alcohol won't turn you into a rapist/molester if you aren't already a rapist/molester

Kyzon

Yes, guys, the person can be "in an altered state," but that altered state is something he naturally held back when not drunk. It's still him, but without inhibitions.

Not an excuse, but a cause. It's that person's fault, and you can blame it on the alcohol, but not as an excuse for doing whatever, but more of a why they went through with the action. If that makes sense.

It doesn't alleviate any blame, and it's 100% that person's fault still. I'm just stating that some people completely transform while under the influence.

Bluenoser

Fair enough, but what if he was so drunk that he thought she had come on to him, or that she was open to it? Again, this is not an excuse for what he did, but the brain does not function properly when that intoxicated. It's clear as day that she wanted no part of it, and he persisted anyway, which is the part I have trouble understanding. After the first time and she changed beds, there was no rationale for the followup harassment. So in THIS case, dude has some issues, drunk or not.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think this can be proven one way or another.

What about someone like Mel Gibson who starts saying all kinds of racist shit while drunk? Can the alcohol "create" all of that in someone who doesn't already harbor those feelings?

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions at times but it doesn't make you into something you're not

You could put alcohol into my veins directly until I die of it and at no point will I start screaming the N word, killing kittens, punching grandmothers, raping people, etc, because those things just aren't in me.

That's why I never drink too much. Only enough to do my crazy dances.

Two lessons to be learned here: don't drink too much, and don't trust drunk people.

Beefy

Two lessons to be learned here: don't drink too much, and don't trust drunk people.

No there is only one lesson, which is don't be a scumbag who goes round molesting people then blames it on drinking.

Good to see the perpetrator catching flak and experiencing consequences. People gotta learn this behavior is just flat out unacceptable.

dity

Hardly relevant what time the conventions end in. Unless you think people will come drunk to the convention and be out in 15 minutes? And if everyone doesn't get checked. who do you check then? Only the people that are super-visibly drunk, almost blacking out? Because you'll miss quite a lot of drunk people that way.
I don't think you'll sober up in 15 minutes if you're drunk enough to make a ruckus. And it's not like there's only "not looking drunk" and "about to pass out drunk" as levels for being drunk. And I think the time conventions are open to is relevant. Open long enough to leave, go to the bar, then come back. Probably more commonly going to happen at night, right?

I'm kinda confused as to why we're arguing about this now though. Even if my idea isn't perfect, I'm just trying to think of things to help.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not to defend the guy but alcohol does change your behavior pattern. People who are the nicest in the world can turn into major assholes when they are blackout drunk. Hyuga was irresponsible and didn't know how to handle his drinks.
If it's the nicest person in the world, then the person should have the decency to not willingly consume drugs that make them assholes? It's not like the culprit here was reported to have been forced to consume the alcohol. Yes, alcohol changes persons, but from my perspective, anything that happens due to that has been willingly tolerated by the person who chose to take the drug and therefore the person is completely responsible.

Regarding the topic: I don't quite see how this is really gaming related, but of course, the person should be legally punished for his indecent behaviour.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
All I will say as far as blaming it on the alcohol...

When I get drunk I'm chill. Laid back. Thats my nature when sober. I never get aggressive. I may yell but thats the farthest I go. Or aggressive to the point as in the OP. And I'm usually aware of whats going on around me. That time parts of the night were blank is the first time ever in my life that has happened. And I have yet to throw up from being drunk.

I think because my last name is Irish I may actually have Irish in my blood. I may be able to handle my alcohol better than others.

Now I do know of a person that when they got drunk it was like Jekyll n Hyde. I think the biggest difference is I dont hold things in as much. I think that person did.

RS4-

Probably the same people that'll defend trash like Brock Turner.

He's a good guy, it was the alcohol. blah blah blah.

Jobbs

Banned

No, there's one lesson here. Don't be a rapist/molester.

It's actually kind of fucking insulting because by saying this you're suggesting all of us are sexual predators just a few drinks away from assaulting people. No, I'm fucking not.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Not to defend the guy but alcohol does change your behavior pattern. People who are the nicest in the world can turn into major assholes when they are blackout drunk. Hyuga was irresponsible and didn't know how to handle his drinks.

Edit: Actually, I kinda take back what I said. We don't know how drunk he was to want to sexually harass her. Alcohol can still make a person do a complete 180.
It literally does not matter in any capacity what "kind of guy" he is. Should that comfort the victim? Does that change anything?

Dee Dee

i dont know what kind of person this hyuga is, but alcohol changes a lot. iam really sorry to hear, that this kind of thing happened in the gaming-sphere. especially after all this weird crap with #gamergate.

but judging like this, people arent better than IS-people and their way of punishing.
if you steal, cut off his hands and stuff like that.

people deserve a chance.
this hyuga person will be publically have problems for the rest of the life because of this stuff, so why ban him? i mean, you could have banned him temporarily.

we are civilized people, we are able to talk/communicate, so there should be a way to work this out. a simple ban for the rest of his life is not, what i would call a solution.

There is a lot of insensitive talk in this thread, but comparing the victim of a sexual assault and her immediate reaction to the trauma being NOT wanting to forgive her attacker to ISIS-fighters cutting off thieves' hands takes the cake for me.

"Guys, if you punish this guy for doing this, you are worse than ISIS!"

Holy macarony.

BruinsMtB

Banned
Fair enough, but what if he was so drunk that he thought she had come on to him, or that she was open to it? Again, this is not an excuse for what he did, but the brain does not function properly when that intoxicated. It's clear as day that she wanted no part of it, and he persisted anyway, which is the part I have trouble understanding. After the first time and she changed beds, there was no rationale for the followup harassment. So in THIS case, dude has some issues, drunk or not.

I know when I think a girl is into me I wait for her to fall asleep and then put my hand down her pants. Works every time!

The lengths some of you are going to to explain this away are gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom