• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't think you'll sober up in 15 minutes if you're drunk enough to make a ruckus. And it's not like there's only "not looking drunk" and "about to pass out drunk" as levels for being drunk. And I think the time conventions are open to is relevant. Open long enough to leave, go to the bar, then come back. Probably more commonly going to happen at night, right?

I'm kinda confused as to why we're arguing about this now though. Even if my idea isn't perfect, I'm just trying to think of things to help.
My point was that somebody isnt going into the convention to spend only 15 minutes there, they are going to spend more time than that, time where they will get sober or at least significantly less drunk.
The thing is that your solution really doesnt solve much. The situation in the OP wouldnt be prevented by breath tests and conventions

massoluk

Banned
Okay, so, to give a bit of perspective here, 18% of women in the U.S. have been raped, which works out to about 20 million women.

And that's just rape, which wouldn't include the incident in the OP. And that's excluding the men as well, which is a non-trivial number.

If you consider the amount of people who must be sex offenders given this, you would expect to find them basically everywhere, including here.
WTF, this math scares me

dity

My point was that somebody isnt going into the convention to spend only 15 minutes there, they are going to spend more time than that, time where they will get sober or at least significantly less drunk.
The thing is that your solution really doesnt solve much. The situation in the OP wouldnt be prevented by breath tests and conventions
I guess I said it in my head but didn't type it, but there have been prior incidents like this that have actually occured within the convention. That wasn't a solution specifically for Vikki. Just like a general thing.

Bluenoser

I know when I think a girl is into me I wait for her to fall asleep and then put my hand down her pants. Works every time!

The lengths some of you are going to to explain this away are gross.

What am I trying to explain away. I'm explaining how alcohol can alter your perception. Where did I fucking excuse his behavior?

So thanks for the shit post.

Apologies for the superbly shit second image, it's all I could find after he deleted his account.

I'm so relieved VikkiKitty wasn't alone when it happened. Eesh.
That's a much more appropriate apology than the first one. What he did was indeed inexcusable and could haunt her for a long, long time. Hopefully she gets the help she needs to recover from this and that he learns from this experience to work on his own issues. I'm glad that she had the courage to come forward with this, as the GG types will no doubt send her death threats for daring to speak out about this.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
What am I trying to explain away. I'm explaining how alcohol can alter your perception. Where did I fucking excuse his behavior?

I think the problem is that discussing the not-unknown consequences of drinking on one's judgement comes across as defending the molester, even if you say that's not what you are intending to do. The fact of the matter is that it is entirely inconsequential why he decided to put his hands down her pants, what is important is that his hands were down her pants. This whole thing is infuriating, frankly, so any attempt to rationalize his behavior is going to be met with hostility.

BruinsMtB

Banned

Read your own post, you actually suggest there's rationale for this dude to molest the girl the first time, but come on he totally should have gotten the hint when she changed beds! If you have to preface your contribution with "BUT I'M NOT EXCUSING IT" then you and all of us know you're going to post some real dumb shit. In your scenario even his first action makes him a dogshit human being, what was the point other than trying to explain how it's possible a "regular guy" can be influenced by the DEMON OF ALCOHOL. I'd venture most of us have been loose inhibitions drunk at some point in our lives, no one needs you to explain this. The rest of us just aren't cunts that turn rapey with a little liquor in our blood.

Jobbs

Banned
I wouldn't go drinking with any of the "alcohol can make you molest, it's normal" people ITT, frankly. In fact, I wouldn't go anythinging with them.

Please stop talking about alcohol, it's so completely irrelevant and it's actually insulting
It's not irrelevant. I have seen enough people drunk to know they do things completely out of character. It's insane what alcohol can do to a person.

I'm not saying he can blame it on the alcohol though, because he CHOSE to get drunk, and now he is paying the consequences.

That's why I said there are two lessons to be learned. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I got really drunk, and I'm certainly not willing to find out.

I'm quite amazed by the fact that the first person to wake up to this merely suggested to switch beds and didn't put a beating of a lifetime on this dickhead and then kick him out.

If you're not violently inclined however, kick his ass out immediately and call the cops? Bizarre story.

Bluenoser

I think the problem is that discussing the not-unknown consequences of drinking on one's judgement comes across as defending the molester, even if you say that's not what you are intending to do. The fact of the matter is that it is entirely inconsequential why he decided to put his hands down her pants, what is important is that his hands were down her pants. This whole thing is infuriating, frankly, so any attempt to rationalize his behavior is going to be met with hostility.

I'm not attempting to defend this guy at all. I'm sorry you think that I am.

Read your own post, you actually suggest there's rationale for this dude to molest the girl the first time, but come on he totally should have gotten the hint when she changed beds! If you have to preface your contribution with "BUT I'M NOT EXCUSING IT" then you and all of us know you're going to post some real dumb shit. In your scenario even his first action makes him a dogshit human being, what was the point other than trying to explain how it's possible a "regular guy" can be influenced by the DEMON OF ALCOHOL. I'd venture most of us have been loose inhibitions drunk at some point in our lives, no one needs you to explain this. The rest of us just aren't cunts that turn rapey with a little liquor in our blood.

Did I say anything about it being ok to do what he did? If so please point it out, or kindly step down from your high horse.

Jobbs

Banned
It's not irrelevant. I have seen enough people drunk to know they do things completely out of character. It's insane what alcohol can do to a person.

I'm not saying he can blame it on the alcohol though, because he CHOSE to get drunk, and now he is paying the consequences.

That's why I said there are two lessons to be learned. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I got really drunk, and I'm certainly not willing to find out.

If you aren't inclined to punch your mother in the face, alcohol won't make you do it. If you aren't inclined to rob a store, alcohol won't make you do it, If you aren't inclined to say a bunch of racist shit to someone, alcohol won't make you do it. If you aren't inclined to murder kittens and puppies, alcohol won't make you do it. If you aren't inclined to molest anyone, alcohol won't make you do it.

If getting drunk makes you molest, you're a piece of shit and you should be in jail. The alcohol is innocent. Leave it out of this.

And I'm sorry but me and most the other people here aren't just a number of drinks away from raping. The suggestion is insulting.

Tankard

Dude, thats fucked up, what the hell.

Edit: 2016 and so many people still think alcohol is a thing that will cause you to do uncharacteristic stuff? I drink and have been drunk and so many of my friends, people will behave like they are and heigthen it by a mile while drunk, one of my friends gets violent when drunk, when he is not as a person who knows him you would find hard to believe it until a certain situations happen and you go "oh, there he is".

Your problem is to think you know all about a person in this case if you think this way.

Slayven

If you aren't inclined to punch your mother in the face, alcohol won't make you do it. If you aren't inclined to rob a store, alcohol won't make you do it, If you aren't inclined to say a bunch of racist shit to someone, alcohol won't make you do it. If you aren't inclined to murder kittens and puppies, alcohol won't make you do it. If you aren't inclined to molest anyone, alcohol won't make you do it.

If getting drunk makes you molest, you're a piece of shit and you should be in jail. The alcohol is innocent. Leave it out of this.

And I'm sorry but me and most the other people here aren't just a number of drinks away from raping. The suggestion is insulting.

Exactly alcohol isn't some magic potion. And if you know you are not a good person on it, don't drink. It is all on him.

GRaider81

I'm quite amazed by the fact that the first person to wake up to this merely suggested to switch beds and didn't put a beating of a lifetime on this dickhead and then kick him out.

If you're not violently inclined however, kick his ass out immediately and call the cops? Bizarre story.

Yeah i agree that part of the story is baffling. I cant think of any reason to keep someone who molested my partner in the same room.

Sorry no second chance on that one

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm not attempting to defend this guy at all. I'm sorry you think that I am.

I understand what you're saying but if you look at your posts from an outside perspective I think you'll understand why people are getting touchy about them. This isn't about alcohol

Steejee

Yeah that bit with the switching beds was a headscratcher. I have to presume the guy that woke up didn't really understand what she was yelling about (being half awake can do that) and so might have thought he was doing something stupid but not as extreme as what he actually was doing.

I'm glad several people in the thread are having their eyes opened to how much more frequent sexual violence is than they thought. It's one of those things that it's hard to believe could happen in the USA as often as it does.

Dunkley

I wouldn't go drinking with any of the "alcohol can make you molest, it's normal" people ITT, frankly. In fact, I wouldn't go anythinging with them.

Yeah dude this is fucked up.

It's like saying "alcohol can make you kill someone" because obviously intoxication automatically equals being turned into a primitive being with no moral values nor self-restraint, right?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Talks about getting molested.

Tweets about Pokemon moments later.

Wow, this message... I know it's about to get message walled, but it does deserve it in this case.

I'm just going to say now you might have very little understanding of how human's mentally deal with situations that go out of their comfort zone.

Jobbs

Banned

Criticizes the victim of sexual assault and seems to weirdly suggest she's not telling the truth or doesn't mind being molested so much

Has an account in good standing moments later

Krejlooc

Banned
It's still your fault even if you are drunk, asshole. You chose to drink.

Sick the way some people on twitter are supporting him.

This is real stupid to insinuate. People deal with trauma in different ways.

Boke1879

Thank god she had the courage to come forward and tell about her experience. It's a damn shame this had to happen on what should have been a weekend celebrating fighting games.

But to me this stuff just reinforces that this stuff happens more than we know. Glad she came forward and filed a report. Also nice to hear his sponsor dropped him as well. I would assume he'll be banned from future tournaments as well.

Yeah that bit with the switching beds was a headscratcher. I have to presume the guy that woke up didn't really understand what she was yelling about (being half awake can do that) and so might have thought he was doing something stupid but not as extreme as what he actually was doing.

I'm glad several people in the thread are having their eyes opened to how much more frequent sexual violence is than they thought. It's one of those things that it's hard to believe could happen in the USA as often as it does.

I mean I wasn't there so I can't or am actually judging the situation, just that from my viewpoint I would've broken that motherfucker's hands if they were anywhere near my lady.

Then again you mix probably an alcohol-induced deep sleep with a dark room or whatever it might've logically been and your reactions turn to mush.

I'm sad that this happened in the smash community, but I'm also proud of the girl for speaking out. Everyone will have an opinion, but none of those opinions will change the fact that everyone is now more aware of this behavior because of her actions.

King_Moc

Banned

I got robbed about 3 weeks ago (not saying this is equivalent, before someone points that out). I still played video games that day. Are people supposed to curl up in the corner or something? What are you suggesting?

MrBadger

So we should let traumatic events define who we are? We should behave appropriately to appease how others expect us to react after bad things happen to us? Why would you even bring this up?

I tried to resist posting my opinions because this is a sensitive topic, but this post is seriously one of the worst things I've read on this board so congratulations.

sensui-tomo

Jesus christ this post makes me mad... would you rather she talk about how she was molested some more? People who are assaulted dont want to dwell on the fact they were assaulted so god forgive she'd want to get her mind off of it. This shit is why some people dont take sexual assault seriously, thinking the victims have to act a certain way.

Yeah, of that ever happened to my girlfriend I would have kicked him out and called the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom