• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
When was the last time Infiltration counterpicked? He always brought the hype in SF4 by switching.

He mostly busted out subs I guess? I've seen him use Fang, Rashid, and now Balrog in tourney.
Not exciting or to the effect of his picks in SF4 though.

Line_HTX

Katsuhiro Harada ‏@Harada_TEKKEN 3m3 minute ago

Dedicated server is not good for fighting games.

Responding to a question from somebody. Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Wouldn't dedicated servers help ease some of the lag besides netcode?

Dahbomb

Katsuhiro Harada ‏@Harada_TEKKEN 3m3 minute ago

Dedicated server is not good for fighting games.

Responding to a question from somebody. Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Wouldn't dedicated servers help ease some of the lag besides netcode?
Well this is the guy who also thinks frame data shouldn't be in Tekken games and that Lucky Chloe is a good character design.

I don't know the logistics behind this but most of the major competitive game titles are on dedicated servers. Starcraft, Counter Strike, all the MOBAs, Hearthstone, Overwatcb, COD etc. So I am not sure what's holding fighting games back other than there just not being enough of a player base to make dedicated servers worth it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No? P2P means one connection, a dedicated server is two in a row, which is much slower. Basically a useless middleman.

And SFV actually has this in some weird configurations.

edit:
Server connection:
ySq51og.jpg

P2P connection:

Kumubou

Well this is the guy who also thinks frame data shouldn't be in Tekken games and that Lucky Chloe is a good character design.

I don't know the logistics behind this but most of the major competitive game titles are on dedicated servers. Starcraft, Counter Strike, all the MOBAs, Hearthstone, Overwatcb, COD etc. So I am not sure what's holding fighting games back other than there just not being enough of a player base to make dedicated servers worth it.
I think Harada is actually right in this instance -- all of the games you named are team based games with multiple players involved (except Hearthstone), and with a client-server based model the player that is the host has a significant advantage. Hosting the game externally also makes enforcing a proper game state much easier -- people can still attempt to do things like use aim bots, but they would have no way to manipulate the game state directly (like saying that they have tons of health and do tons of damage).

Whereas with a fighting game, it involves exactly two people directly connected to each other -- you gain a lot less from having an external server involved. You may still need to have one for other things (like matchmaking and user data), but they don't need to be directly involved in the game at hand. If one player tries to manipulate the game state and the other player isn't aware, that causes a desync and it just breaks the game instead of giving the hacking player an advantage.

There is one scenario where having a dedicated server can help with latency, and that is if the server is in between the two players. So for example if one player is in LA and the other is in NY, having a server in Dallas run the game would mean each player would be playing on a connection from their location to the server in Dallas instead of having to go back and forth across the entire continent. It's probably not a good use of resources, though especially when other technologies
*cough* rollbaks *cough*
would be more cost effective at reducing perceived latency.

Having external servers can be useful for other purposes, such as arbitrating connection and desync issues and helping people get connected when they otherwise wouldn't be able to (although XBL and Steam already provide NAT punching as part of their service, and PSN should now as well). I think CFN actually tries to do these things in SF5... it just does a bad job at it. :x

Sayad

Yep, fighting games is one type of games where p2p is better than dedicated servers. Though servers could be useful for things like 2v2(or more) mode in Smash or SFxT.

Lemstar

lmao

Tripon

Treta championship is still going on, unless something crazy happens there, I think it's okay to update this post for this week for Capcom Cup spots until we all 32 spots filled out.

Capcom Cup 32 spots:

Won Premier Tournament: (6 players)

Infiltration (Final Round, NCR, EVO) (1664 global points)
Tokido (CEO) (776 global points)
Gamerbee (Japan Cup, EGX) (730 global points)
Phenom (Dreamhack Summer) (482 global points)
Xiao Hai (G League) (418 global points)
Momochi (Stunfest) (396 global points)

With Infiltration and Gamerbee winning multiple premier tournaments, it opens up 3 more spots to the Global Rankings from the original 8.

Qualification via Global Spot: (11 at the moment)

Justin Wong (980 global points)
Fuudo (804 global points)
Daigo Umehara (555 global points)
Julio Fuentes (547 global points)
Xian (510 global points)
Nuckledu (469 global points)
Eita (418 global points)
Go1 (412 global points)
FChamp (398 global points)
Mago (390 global points)
Chris T (382 global points)

The big change is that with Eita's (418 global points) win at Abuget and Go1's (412 global points) 2nd place finish, both secure a global spot for Capcom Cup. Haitani (364 global points) falls out of the race for a global spot.

Participates qualify via global spots before Regional ranking spots:

Qualification via regions: (8 spots)

Asia: Kazunoko (183 asia points), Haitani (176 Asia points)

Eita and Haitani switch places between the global spot and the Asia qualifcation spot. The most serious threat are Tse4444 (128 asia points) and Yukadon (74 Asia points), if Tse4444 gets at least 2nd or Yukadon wins FV Cup, or the Asian Online Ranking event, either can jump Kazunoko and Haitani.

Europe: CCL (333 Europe points) , Mister Crimson (321 Europe points)

Luffy has 307 European points, MOV has 256 European points, and Problem X has 218. There's two more European Ranking events both happening next week, Geek Weekend in Dubai, and the Playstation Event in Barcelona. That means all 5 players have a hard decision to go to, with the EU Regional finals in Milan in just two weeks from now.

Latin America: Brolynho (305 LA points), KBrad (196 LA points) Misterio (at least 197 LA points)

http://challonge.com/trt2016sfvtop16

No changes so far since TRETA is still going on, and Brolynho and KBrad both decided to chase the money at Brooklyn Showdown instead of competing at TRETA. Dark Jiewa (193 LA points) also decided to go to Europe instead of Latin America. Misterio (195 LA points)is at TRETA and just needs two points to overtake KBrad, will update if he is able to do so. Kusanagi (172 LA points) decided that he wanted to go play anime games in person and went to CEOtaku instead.

Edit: Misterio was able to get the 2 points he needed at TRETA to pass KBrad. He gets the 2nd spot, and KBrad needs to win the CPT LA Finals in order to qualify for Capcom Cup.

North America: Ricky Ortiz (239 NA points), XsK_Samurai (138 NA points).

No Change here since there was no NA ranking events this week. The Fall Classic is the last NA ranking event for the NA Circuit.

PR Rog (134 NA points) actually has more global points that XsK_Samurai does, but he's 4 points behind XsK_Samurai in the NA rankings. Other contenders include /r/Kappa|John Takeuchi (128 NA points) and F3|Alucard (108 NA points).

The Fall Classic is heavily important right now.

Ranking events left:

The Fall Classic (NA) (Oct. 7th-Oct. 9th)
Geek Weekend (EU) (Oct. 7th-Oct. 8th)
Liga Official PlayStation Tournament (EU) (Oct. 8th-Oct. 9th)
FV Cup (Asia) (Oct. 22nd-Oct. 23rd)
Online Event: Asia-Oceanic Event II (open to Japan, Korea Korea, Taiwan, & Hong Kong only) (Oct. 22nd)

That's 25 spots, which leave 7 left to be grabbed.

Spots that still need to be determined:

Premier tournaments:
SEAM winner (Oct. 7th-Oct. 9th)
SoCal Regionals winner (Oct. 14th-Oct. 16th)
Canada Cup winner (Oct. 28th-Oct. 30th)

Regional Finals:

EU Regional Finals at Milan Games Week at Milan, Italy (Oct. 15th-Oct. 16th)
NA Regional Finals: Red Bull Battle Grounds at Seattle, Wash. (Nov. 04th-Nov. 06th)
Capcom Pro Tour Asia Regional Finals at Busan, South Korea (Nov. 17th-Nov. 19th)
LA Regional Finals, to be determined

Dahbomb

So no statistics matter bc we are free
Yup. Looking at the list, USA gonna get freed up.

Different game, same story. It's cool that many Americans made it in as is but numbers didn't save them from EVO either.

I think it's important that maybe PRRog makes it in somehow so we can have that x factor thrown in.

Dahbomb

next year America gonna make the world look free after the patch
FANG is nerfed so that Dieminion finally drops that stupid character for a real American like Guyelle.

Guyelle buffed, Knuckle Du and Dieminion start dominating.

Balrawg gets buffed, PRBalrog back from pseudo retirement.

Ken buffed and nerfed in certain way so that the American cowboy ham style is the best and the trinity starts winning even more. Momochi am cry though.

Alex buffs too for the one top player that plays him. Then Snake Eyez can finally drop Zangrief for a superior American grappler and start winning.

All Americans in top 8 playing American characters only. The dream.

Tripon

I edited that big ass Capcom Cup progress report.

Misterio got the 2 points he needed to pass by KBrad for 2nd at the CPT Latin America rankings.

Kbrad now needs to win the Latin America Regional finals in order to get into Capcom Cup.

http://challonge.com/trt2016sfvtop16

Edit: Apparently, Misterio has Visa issues and won't be able to go to Capcom Cup. So KBrad gets the spot anyway.

Rhapsody

Banned
shoutouts to no GG announcement after all that shit

They didn't say GG announcement, they said announcement after GG finals. They moved it to before top 8 since there was a long break after BB ended really early. Aksys is doing Anime Ascension next year in February and will be a 2 day long event.

They'll have an SCR announcement sometime tomorrow too.

Rhapsody

Banned
Unfortunately Marlinpie got his burst back at a burst safe point, and he was going to die anyways if he waited after the OS throw.

That was a fun top 8 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom