• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not making sense. You just want to lash out and feel good about yourself.
The whole point is that this is something people care about, and the effort is to make enough of a stink that something is done about it. Anyone in this thread that plays sf5 should understand that. Just because aksys fucking sucks at pr and lashes out at people doesn't change that.

I still care about this series it's been a large part of my life for 8 years, but I'm not going to just ignore this and say "ah fuck it the games exists at least" and roll over and give them money. I'm not just going to hand out money for an unsatisfactory product, but I care too much about this series to just ignore it, so I'll keep making a stink in hopes that they do something about it.

Anne

I can say that BB has around 5~ frames of input latency, same as GG. The netcode has always been a problem, when you get 3f of delay online youre looking at 8 frames :v

Also damn people give a lot of fucks about a dub coming out of a developer that has been constantly fucking up their NA releases while straining relationships with their foreign publishers in general. Despite Aksys' recent fuck ups, I feel really bad for the shit that was between them when it comes to ASW. This is the trend ASW has been moving towards for awhile now, as are some other JP devs, and that means the first thing to get cut is a dub. You should be thankful the game is even getting an NA release because I don't know what ASW is going to be doing for publishing after this.

NEO0MJ

im not going to be thankful for an unsatisfactory product, thats just dumb. I dont really care what reasons or excuses they come up with

I always thought you'd be one of those who'd prefer the original Japanese dub to a localized one. Guess not all anime avatar wearers are the same 😮

Anne

im not going to be thankful for an unsatisfactory product, thats just dumb. I dont really care what reasons or excuses they come up with

Well, if you're that way about the dub going away at this stage for that dev, then it's probably time for to stop being interested in their games. I get the feeling the way they do releases is going to be similar to this as they move forward. I don't want to get into rumors that have been going around, but this is a pretty obvious sign that those might be coming true.

Edit: Note I think ASW has fucked up pretty bad. I don't like how they've handled a lot of their stuff, especially with NA pubs, in recent years. That being said, this hasn't messed with the import only crowd (myself) enough to keep off the game. I do hope Aksys has better luck with shit from now on.

Well, if you're that way about the dub going away at this stage for that dev, then it's probably time for to stop being interested in their games. I get the feeling the way they do releases is going to be similar to this as they move forward. I don't want to get into rumors that have been going around, but this is a pretty obvious sign that those might be coming true.

Edit: Note I think ASW has fucked up pretty bad. I don't like how they've handled a lot of their stuff, especially with NA pubs, in recent years. That being said, this hasn't messed with the import only crowd (myself) enough to keep off the game. I do hope Aksys has better luck with shit from now on.
I still have the import because a part of me thinks Ill still be able to play the game even though my heads telling me I wont.

I usually bought the import as well as a localized anyway so I could get started then enjoy the story later. Without the dub I cant enjoy the story so the NA version is worthless.

I know, but I thought that deep down you'd prefer it. To hear oniichan!
god no

Line_HTX

I always thought you'd be one of those who'd prefer the original Japanese dub to a localized one. Guess not all anime avatar wearers are the same 😮

I like dual most of the time because I'm not an original elitist. Localized audio has gotten better over the years.

I know, but I thought that deep down you'd prefer it. To hear oniichan!

Nanako just simply says Big Bro. Nevertheless, FUCK NO to that shit. Get out, DansGame

shaowebb

Is there something wrong with ArcSys not wanting to do something because it would be a net negative financially? I get that it sucks to not have the game dubbed when the rest of the series was, but check out the trends for BlazBlue releases over the years, in Japan at retail and on the PC internationally (which is what I can get sales data for):

Code:
Japanese retail sales (LTD): 
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger			122,470
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift			153,913
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend		131,725
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma			128,393
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend		 43,831

[Source: [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1169225"]Chris1964's Media Create spreadsheet of doom[/URL]]

Code:
PC digital sales (worldwide, LTD):
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger			178,027
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend		 62,309
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend	 	 36,415

[Source: [url="http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=blazblue"]SteamSpy[/url]]
That's... not a good trend. The PC data is sketchy given that they're all late releases and BBCT was discounted and bundled to hell and back, and between the fact that the game has always been significantly less popular in the US relative to Japan and that ArcSys makes less from US/EU retail sales than anything else (as there's a much bigger cut on digital and they self-publish in Japan), it's very possible that it would cost more to do a dub than they would make from the additional copies sold in the US, especially with how much bigger the cast and the story mode has gotten over the years.

There's no way BB has one frame of input delay -- that would be unprecedented. I don't have input delay numbers for BB thought, although if I had to guess it would be roughly the same as the GG games, since ArcSys has some idea of what they're doing from a technical standpoint (unlike, say... well, the joke is too old to make now
lololol who am I kidding E I G H T F R A M E S
).

Yikes...with those numbers on the last one I'm glad I'm getting the title at all. Otherwise it'd be yet another title I'd be forced to import to experience and without subs...well I'd never understand the ending fully.

Dlent

You shouldn't pretend like anyone understands the BlazBlue story fully.

I wish I could find some verifiable information on the input delay for BB, because I've only ever known SKD for his insane knowledge of the games' mechanics.

Anne

You shouldn't pretend like anyone understands the BlazBlue story fully.

I wish I could find some verifiable information on the input delay for BB, because I've only ever known SKD for his insane knowledge of the games' mechanics.

As good as SKD is, he does say some wild shit sometimes. The best thing to go off of is Xrd's results with DisplayLag and their database in general. If you look nothing is below 5f on console. DL takes into account the display lag as well, everything is tested on the same low latency display iirc, and whatever the controller is doing. Between the controller, the monitor, and Vsync existing, you're not getting below 5f or so afaik. You'd need to ask Fourwude to test it.

My guess is that whatever implementation of Vsync and controller drivers/input/whatever is similar to GG. That's not far off from most fighting games really, so it's a very safe assumption to make.

I'm getting the JP version as opposed to getting both the JP version and the ENG version when it comes out as I usually would since the ENG version has lost a lot of its value to me in comparison.

I don't see anything wrong with doing this.

I don't know if a big publisher/developer can do this, but Aksys/Arc Systems should consider crowdfunding an english dub. That'll get the fans to put up or shut up.

Line_HTX

They figured that's the only way to save you from cringe worthy English VA. Good.

Like JP dialogue is any better for your elitism?

4PiL1wX.gif

The Light

Give the people's eyebrow to my screen every time someone says subs over dubs if the reasoning is "jP va sounds better to to me" when you don't speak nor understand the language.

Give the people's eyebrow to my screen every time someone says subs over dubs if the reasoning is "jP va sounds better to to me" when you don't speak nor understand the language.
any of the back and forth over who likes what and why is completely irrelevant and doesnt help anything. People can like what they like just dont be a dick about it.

Skilletor

I prefer to not understand the gibberish they're saying in fighting games. Dubs are annoying to me precisely because I can tell the quality, whereas I can't with JP VA.

That has nothing to do with the case at hand, and anybody that cares about how others choose to enjoy their entertainment is always confusing to me anyway.

Astarte

This is turning into quite a thread.
CJ can you kinda swap the pictures in the BB OT for like...better ones? They're inconsistent and p ass.

My enjoyment of most music drops when I take the time to hear the lyrics. If I listen to the vocals as a kind of beautiful backdrop with the rest of the instruments, I can maintain my enjoyment. Similarly, voice acting in a fighting game, to me, is about the emotional emphasis. You don't need to know what words are being said to know whether sounds desperate, powerful, etc. That is what I seek. In the case of Hakumen, I think his ENG voice actor is superior to the JP because of the emotional power it carries. Nine's JP voice actress is perfect, but I would have liked to see an ENG take on the character as well.

Sayad

I don't know if a big publisher/developer can do this, but Aksys/Arc Systems should consider crowdfunding an english dub. That'll get the fans to put up or shut up.
They should try to sell it as DLC first, see how many people actually want it, it would be vile, but that's still better than no dub at all or publisher begging for money.

Sayad

I prefer to not understand the gibberish they're saying in fighting games. Dubs are annoying to me precisely because I can tell the quality, whereas I can't with JP VA.
I usually prefer this, but some English VAs are pretty good, would be hard to hear a none Laura Bailey Chun, hyped Mika is pretty good too, and I really miss I-No's English VA.

notworksafe

Guile, Cammy, and Akuma always have to be in japanese. Nothing else really matters voicewise to me. Tekken is good about having characters speak different languages. I like that too.

NEO0MJ

My enjoyment of most music drops when I take the time to hear the lyrics. If I listen to the vocals as a kind of beautiful backdrop with the rest of the instruments, I can maintain my enjoyment. Similarly, voice acting in a fighting game, to me, is about the emotional emphasis. You don't need to know what words are being said to know whether sounds desperate, powerful, etc. That is what I seek. In the case of Hakumen, I think his ENG voice actor is superior to the JP because of the emotional power it carries. Nine's JP voice actress is perfect, but I would have liked to see an ENG take on the character as well.

Count me as another fan of Hakuma's ENG voice actor.

I liked how mvc3 had an "original voice" option that set all the Capcom characters to Japanese except for the Resident Evil / DMC guys who already spoke English in their original game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom