• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 23-29 | I put my hands on this stick, you know it's real

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of December 23rd to the 29th, 2013.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Virtua Fighter, Twenty Years Later [ Thursday ] [ 7:30PM JST | 5:30AM EDT | 2:30AM PDT ]
  • At the Kurokawa School for the Future of Entertainment, various Sega employees and members of the VF5 production staff will conduct a roundtable retrospective of the series, and potentially a look into it's future.
Frosty Faustings VI [ Saturday ] [ 12PM CST | 1PM EDT | 10AM PDT ]
KombatNetwork & Red Bank Rumble Present: Killer Instinct [ Saturday ] [ 5PM EDT | 2PM PDT ]
The House Of Crack Presents - The OverDrive Series [ Saturday ] [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iyV68fsnwVMNB.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at Kadey!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
I only play AE. But I'll put on whatever other people want to play.
SFIV, SF2, CVS2 and MVS2 are my favorites of all time. Only because I spent a lot of time playing them and they are easily to pick up and play.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I like any mechanic that extends combos. And I hate stuff like unblockables and cheap mechanics that are easy to perform.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
MHaving friends and family playing fighting games. Fighting games were huge back in that era. Everybody played them. I knew about SF2 in the arcades but I never started caring for it or the genre until the SNES version.
I can play any genre but these days it's regulated to mostly easy pick up and play games. I like a game with a good story so if I have time I'll play it.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Ryu and Chun Li. They are the faces of the genre. I guess they do not need any explanation. They should hurry up, get married and have kids already.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I like going for flashy stuff and rushing down for the most part.
I play mainly online. There is no scene where I live. People are into mobile and PC games.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I just do stuff and hope it works.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
What career? I play for fun. I don't take it seriously as much as certain people do studying frame data and all that junk just to lose to someone like me anyway. So when is that Marvel patch coming?
What do you want from future fighting games
Things that need to be standard in every fighting game from now on.

Online training. So I can beat up on GB and DB endlessly.
Lobbies.
Able to boot people from lobbies.
Have nothing obscuring the game play during lobbies. This means you TTT2 and TR.
Button config during non-playing matches. Lost count of how many times people cried when starting a match and then saying they forgot to button config.
AE holds up to 30 something replays, the number should be at least 100. You don't want to forever lose that cool moment you did on somebody.
Should aim to have at least 12 unique characters. None of this let's make due with six characters and add more later BS.
Custom music. Just because.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
-=drum roll=- UltraDavid since he is now on GAF and he likes butts.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

None at the moment.​

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Busaiku

Looking at Kadey's desires, doesn't BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma have almost everything?
Dunno about replays.

Only thing I know not present is custom music (though it lets you cycle through the entire game's music).
Not completely sure about the button configuration either, but I think in Persona 4 Arena you could (but it's been months since I played it, and my memory sucks).

Kumubou

Looking at Kadey's desires, doesn't BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma have almost everything?
Dunno about replays.

Only thing I know not present is custom music (though it lets you cycle through the entire game's music).
Not completely sure about the button configuration either, but I think in Persona 4 Arena you could (but it's been months since I played it, and my memory sucks).
BBCP has everything in that list but custom music (and the only fighting game with that right now is TTT2 -- it really should be in more games, though). The replay limit is ~100 or so (and you can save replays that you want to save), and you can configure your buttons at the character select screen. The problem with all of that is... you have to play BBCP. D:

Tik-Tok

Kevin Martin is a bad basketball player. He makes bad decisions. Good thing Ricky Rubio is on his team. errr.... Hadouken.

CurlyW

Happy Frosty Faustings week everybody!

As noted in the last thread, streams are http://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto and http://www.twitch.tv/nobodyexe.

Preregistered players list for all games is available here

Players attending include: ElvenShadow (obviously), BananaKen, Neokarsh, Adelheid, Lil Majin, Danke, JDM, Kerahime, OMGitzAndre, Big Marcus, Perfect Legend, Mean Saltine, and many more (including a possible guest appearance by Mihe)

Please tune in this weekend to catch all the action, especially the main event, the Guilty Gear XX AC+R tournament with a $1000 pot bonus.

vocab

two things I dont like about the new guilty gear:

1) looks slower than old guilty gears.
2) The cinematic that plays when you hit someone with raw dust.

So guys what moba is better, Dota 2 or LoL? Wanted to start playing one. I've never played a moba before.

league is babby's first dota, and dota 2 is what real men play. I'm personally tired of dota 2, I just dont like it anymore. Game gets old after a bazillion hours as well.

Busaiku

Mega Man Powered Up
Sengoku Basara
Monster Hunter
Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Okami

Bunch of other stuff too.
Q doesn't know anything.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's hard to find people to play Aquapazza online as it is, and I've already made a few people return their copy to Gamestop.

People just don't have any appreciation for literature. :(

Top Bottom