• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 23-29 | I put my hands on this stick, you know it's real

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
One of the cardinal rules of life is never forget where you come from.

And this is for Shouta. :)

ibxm16L6zHuo2G.gif

smik

came i here to say

fuck i hate Rufus's lk > hp link!!

i feel i can only hit it 2/6 times,
just started to learn a Rufus and want to keep him but this combo is imperative to keeping pressure on the opponent with mixup/throw/divekick/ultra

Big respect to Ricky and Justin for hitting this consistently without missing

casperOne

They said outright that it wasn't inherent to the FGC, they just decided to focus on the FGC for their research.

Being specific, when referencing Cross Counter, they indicated that the cheering on of Aris' actions was due to the FGC's systemic attitudes towards women.

However, I'm pretty sure that the larger issue of anonymity and the internet spurning despicable behavior is something that's extremely relevant here.

That doesn't make any of it better or justify it in the least. That said, if you're going to approach something clinically, to leave out something like this makes the discussion incomplete, IMO.

vocab

came i here to say

just started to learn a Rufus and want to keep him but this combo is imperative to keeping pressure on the opponent with mixup/throw/divekick/ultra

It's a 1 frame link, and if you play it online expect to never land it. Fucking SFIV.

Being specific, when referencing Cross Counter, they indicated that the cheering on of Aris' actions was due to the FGC's systemic attitudes towards women.

However, I'm pretty sure that the larger issue of anonymity and the internet spurning despicable behavior is something that's extremely relevant here.

That doesn't make any of it better or justify it in the least. That said, if you're going to approach something clinically, to leave out something like this makes the discussion incomplete, IMO.

If I remember anything from the Cross Assault thread, it's that saying stuff like that is considered to be overly defensive and an attempt at deflection. So I can see why they'd ignore it altogether.

I'll take it on twitter or here, I'm @Nate_Nyo

Banananana already said it

They said outright that it wasn't inherent just to the FGC, they just decided to focus on the FGC for their research.

I don't remember this, was it in the beginning?

Without getting into whether anything that they're saying is right or wrong (that's just a hole that no one escapes from), it's frustrating to see evidence presented to justify sweeping, absolute statements about the FGC without accounting for other factors being in play which aren't specifically inherent to the FGC.

Skipping the Cross Assault stuff because that's it's own can of worms and focus on their points on essentialism and race. I just raise an eyebrow. Players in this community do not truly believe that Asian people are inherently better at fighting games. It sounds like the lecturer cherry picked one dude's tongue-in-cheek comment to frame the community as a bunch of ignoramuses. A bunch of people who play fighting games are really stupid but give us a little credit here.

Also, I didn't bring this up originally to argue with the two in charge of this lecture. I'm just surprised that they found out today that the received negative reception, when the community reacted to this lecture the day they presented it. This lecture is many months old. What a way to be completely out of touch with the subculture you're supposedly analyzing.

casperOne

If I remember anything from the Cross Assault thread, it's that saying stuff like that is considered to be overly defensive and an attempt at deflection. So I can see why they'd ignore it altogether.

I can see that, I was going to preface my prior post with the standard caveats acknowledging the FGC's issues with everything and everyone, but didn't want to brow-beat the FGC off-the-bat.

Welp, doesn't seem like there's any way to participate in that whole debacle (not pointing you out specifically, saying in general) without getting burned, so, that's that.

Just came back from the latest UFC PPV. After seeing what happened to Anderson's leg I think I'll stick to video game fighting, GAT DAYUM, the horror.

alstein

If Capcom announces another fighting game, it probably will be a small project. As far as we know, they haven't been working on any new fighting games for a while, so the idea of multiple releases in 2014 is a bit shocking. They'd have to announce it fairly early in the 2014 to get it out for fall.

Sven has pitched CAS multiple times and had the idea shut down, Darkstalkers is seemingly dead as the internal pitch went nowhere, MvC4/SFV are too far out, they said they were receiving diminishing returns on HDmakes... What could it be?

New IP, small or large, is probably what I want most. It's beginning of next gen too so there's a greater chance of them investing in that sort of thing.

My guess is something based on Rival Schools. If they're smart, they'll try to get some Kill La Kill stuff in there.

Silky

Banned
Also, I didn't bring this up originally to argue with the two in charge of this lecture. I'm just surprised that they found out today that the received negative reception, when the community reacted to this lecture the day they presented it. This lecture is many months old. What a way to be completely out of touch with the subculture you're supposedly analyzing.

lmao.

Horseress

Just came back from the latest UFC PPV. After seeing what happened to Anderson's leg I think I'll stick to video game fighting, GAT DAYUM, the horror.

Man, that was the end of his career for sure, sadly. He's probably the reason I watch UFC, the god of trash talk, some of the most trollish k.o.'s of history.

He's still the best in my book

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Team PIE x House of Crack incoming? OverDrive is gonna get real.

60 people is pretty good turnout, seems like the venue is dope too.

Sheroking

came i here to say

I've noticed that Ricky uses (or used, I haven't seen him much the last two years) lk > close mp a lot, which is easier and you still get the tornado. Justin will often do lk>lk>hp to give him time to feel out the link. You just gotta sit in training mode doing nothing but lk>hp until the timing is just muscle memory.

I had trouble for a long time until I just repeated it for a couple hours listening to Mick Foley's audio book.

Dahbomb

New fighting game IP by Capcom as in brand new characters and mechanics?

Probably a rarer mythical creature than The Last Guardian at this point.

kirblar

Yeah, when you have DS, which you already own the trademarks/copyright/history for, even though it's barely known, at least its barely known. A new IP will just have the game going "Hey, Remember Me?" years later.

Might be the best thing for their monster hunter mobile money to go into, though. Don't use it to destroy existing IPs and don't create some off-brand P&D or farm-building game that was outdated 3 years ago.

I'm assuming Capcom only makes mobile games except for RE and MH for this coming gen, which I think is a safe assumption.

Dahbomb

Might be the best thing for their monster hunter mobile money to go into, though. Don't use it to destroy existing IPs and don't create some off-brand P&D or farm-building game that was outdated 3 years ago.
Son this is CAPCPOM we are talking about here. They aren't going to put money into what they are supposed to do.

Expect more candy ass iOS garbage in the future from Capcom. Dat 40 million will get worked.

I don't even remember the last time Capcom made an original fighting game IP.... latest one I can recall is Power Stone. The first one was released almost 15 years ago... that's how long it has been since Capcom made an original fighting game IP.

Son this is CAPCPOM we are talking about here. They aren't going to put money into what they are supposed to do.

Expect more candy ass iOS garbage in the future from Capcom. Dat 40 million will get worked.

I don't even remember the last time Capcom made an original fighting game IP.... latest one I can recall is Power Stone. The first one was released almost 15 years ago... that's how long it has been since Capcom made an original fighting game IP.

Yeah, I meant that whenever we're speculating about new Capcom IPs/Games we're talking about whatever new iOS garbage they'll make with that MH money. A new mobile fighting game IP might actually be interesting, because it means Capcom gets to release a mobile game without shitting all over an existing franchise.

Infinite

I'm assuming Capcom only makes mobile games except for RE and MH for this coming gen, which I think is a safe assumption.
What Monster Hunter mobile money

Keits

Developer
Hope you guys have been watching Frosty Faustings from Chicago. Tons of amazing matches in tons of awesome games!

Westlo

The only damage buff he got was his cr.MK getting 10 extra damage

But they give Ken more damage on his HP shoryuken and his U1.

They still haven't changed his glaring problems. His design is just terrible and I'm sure they'd rather just take him out the game than pretend to have any idea of what to do with him.. Even though they made a whole suggestion thread on Unity about what to do with the character.. Pretty sure they didn't even look at the suggestions

You seriously complaining about a buff to Ken's U1 non cinematic damage which has been a god damn joke since Vanilla?

Kimosabae

Banned
ggs, Kars. I'n the same boat as you: I like playing long sets with people because it allows me to focus more on building various aspects of my game. I only had that guy in there in case you took awhile to show.

Top Bottom