• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 3-9 | Why doesn't Bungie make fighting games?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of February 3rd to 9th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

EVO 2014 Lineup Announcement [ Thursday] [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • On a special Tuesday episode of The Fray, the game lineup for the biggest fighting game tournament in the world will be announced.

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

i0ihSUMpnS2MR.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at a FGC-GAF OG, sixteen-bit!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
I have recently started grinding it out in Gundam EXVS Full Boost. It's not a traditional fighter but it's a great competitive game. I also currently dabble in AE2012 and Blaz, because that's what my friends play as we bide time for Guilty Gear Xrd and Ultra SF4.

Console generation 6 coincided with the period of my life in which I had the most leisure time. It was during this time I had especially fond memories of Soul Calibur, Soul Calibur 2, and VF4 Evo. I would consider these games "all-time favorites" not only due to how fun they were, or the sheer amount of time I put into them, but the memories attached to them as well.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Comeback mechanics are prevalent in many recent fighting games. I quite enjoy them when executed in the way KI handles Instinct or Chronophantasma handles Overdrive. If you're not familiar, it generally gives a character temporary access to tools they wouldn't have otherwise by augmenting unique characteristics of their design. It's probably a nightmare to balance since in these systems each character has completely different benefits, but I love the end result. It gives characters, for lack of a better word, character.

Least favorite would be rage (Tekken) or x-factor (MVC3). Ironically it's kinda the same concept as my favorite recent mechanic only executed lazier - it's a more generic buff without as much regard for a character's unique design traits.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Looking back to the very genesis of how I gravitated toward fighting games, I'm reminded of an anecdote from my youth about liking Streets of Rage more than Final Fight. One reason I liked it more is because it let you choose a black man or a woman from the selectable roster.

As fantastic and escapist video games are, it's always nice to have an avatar you can identify with if you so choose. When it comes to body type, race, gender identity or anything like that, fighting games were the most diverse genre in that regard. They probably still are unless you count games with exhaustive character creation options.

My competitive friends and I continued to play fighting games to see who was the best. KOFXIII's "pure, honest" meme comes to mind since, compared with other types of games, there are seemingly fewer external variables that contribute to a loss. When we won against each other, it felt substantial. This is why I grew up liking fighting games.

I play plenty of other genres, but especially gravitate to arcade and arcade-style games.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
My favorite character is Urien from SF3 because he is that dude.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I'm definitely the lame defensive type. People describe me as a reactive player who moves with purpose and doesn't like to waste any action. Unfortunately this strategy doesn't work out well for me and I always get bodied, lol.

I vastly prefer local play to online versus. There is a sense of reciprocity when playing locally you can't emulate when playing online. Unfortunately, as I get older my options for playing offline are increasingly limited.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
In terms of weaknesses, as I alluded to earlier, my hesitation to go on the offensive has led to many situations where I snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Sometimes I get psyched out too easily and don't have the confidence to finish the job.

As for strengths, this might just be a personality trait, but I take losses much better than most people I know.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
I truthfully don't have much of a fighting game "career" since I'm neither visibly active in the scene nor a serious player. Low point would probably have been unsuccessfully spending a night out with my friend trying to get SSFIV urley from retailers breaking the street date. Fiend status for sure. Best moments are simply when I'm playing games and having a good time.
What do you want from future fighting games
I just want companies to adopt best practices when it comes to user interface and user experience. It bothers me when two teams within the same company can't coordinate to do simple things like rematch or button config correctly. I know these things are external to the core fighting game experience, but they're important to me.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Oneida, because he has good taste.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

None at the moment.​

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters t- Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Also, Fearless Night is made by the designer of Skullgirls*

*before they threw out everything he had made and hired Mike Z to make MvC2 2

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like we need to compete with the Smash Bros. thread and come up with our own Def Jam: Fight for Atlanta character wishlist

I just tried to read through the last few pages of the old thread. I don't even...

But this post caught my eye:

Have to disagree with you Enzo. KoF designs are attractive to me for the sole reason of being subtle, but still telling you a bit about the character.

maij6j0k.gif

Probably doesn't apply to all characters.

Omega

Banned
i dont get the reference.

Who the hell wants a Bungie fighting game? they can't even make a good FPS post Halo 2 and that's supposed to be their specialty

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Drake (Super: if you're opponent is female, you automatically win; if you're opponent is male, recover opponents health to max)
DMX (Super (Install): Goes into cocaine fueled rage doing extra damage, is unable to use electronic objects in the environment during this time)
Macklemore (Super: Magnetizes all golden objects oppenents are holding or in the environment and throws them at the opponent's face)

all male cast

Who the hell wants a Bungie fighting game? they can't even make a good FPS post Halo 2 and that's supposed to be their specialty
Halo 3 MP is like, ten times better than that bug and glitch ridden mess that was Halo 2 MP.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
yeah I know.

but why Bungie? Why not any of the other shit developers.

Someone brought them up in a conversation comparing fighters to shooters and wondering where the money at

Silky

Banned
I just tried to read through the last few pages of the old thread. I don't even...

But this post caught my eye:

maij6j0k.gif

Probably doesn't apply to all characters.

Yeah Mai's a lot more deep as a character than her costume presents herself as. I think she needed a redesign of her costume like Andy got in '99. You would THINK that she's a seductive temptress with that kind of jiggly going on but she's not really like that to any of the dudes in KOF other than Andy. She's also arguably one of the more progressive thinking characters in the female cast of KOF

oh god here it go.

3 > ODST > Reach > 2 > CE > 4

Yeah Mai's a lot more deep as a character than her costume presents herself as. I think she needed a redesign of her costume like Andy got in '99. You would THINK that she's a seductive temptress with that kind of jiggly going on but she's not really like that to any of the dudes in KOF other than Andy. She's also arguably one of the more progressive thinking characters in the female cast of KOF

Eh, I don't think Andy's redesign was all that great. Yeah, it was more 'ninja' like than all of his other looks, but it was kind of plain. If anything, SNK needs to bring back her Real Bout 1 look, and the moves to match. Mai's a fun character, though - she can be serious, but she's a goof at heart.

Where does the double helix hate come from? I thought they were generally pretty competent developers that usually get stuck with crappy licenses.

Dahbomb

Where does the double helix hate come from? I thought they were generally pretty competent developers that usually get stuck with crappy licenses.
That's hard to ascertain given that they didn't release anything competent before KI.

With KI and Strider (if its good) they are at least NT caliber now though.

Bungie doesn't make fighting games probably because they do not know how. On the other hand, Double Helix made what appears to be a solid fighter, so I suppose you never know. Also, I do not see how any of the Halo's are considered, legitimately "bad" games. They seemingly play comparable to most other FPS's out there. Maybe I didn't go into multiplayer deep enough since it seems like that is what people complain about the most.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's what they are, although crappy licenses could also be replaced with short dev time. The hate is out of control though.

Regardless, I think for most people bad games are bad and they'll cast a shadow of doubt over everything they do. IMO the bad developer/good developer thing is sort of a weird cut and dry way to look at things, especially when we're talking about non-S-tier developers.

Top Bottom