• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 3-9 | Why doesn't Bungie make fighting games?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Someone please tell me I'm being trolled, Akuma has time to pick after his lvl 3 that isnt his beam super?!?!?! Just finished reading some of the change logs, picked up Marvel pretty damn late and got serious in Ultimate when it came out.

Dahbomb

If TTT2 is dropped wouldn't this be the first EVO to not have a Namco game?
They're was no Namco game in 2002. After that there was a Namco game every year (either SC or Tekken).

EVO has always been a predominately Capcom heavy tournament though. A SF and a Marvel game has pretty much always been leading the charge. I can't think of a year where both MVC and SF weren't part of the roster.

Someone please tell me I'm being trolled, Akuma has time to pick after his lvl 3 that isnt his beam super?!?!?! Just finished reading some of the change logs, picked up Marvel pretty damn late and got serious in Ultimate when it came out.
I am pretty sure you accidentally read our theory patch.

Loona

It would be the greatest EVO of all time.

A funny idea, but lets be reasonable, at least a crossover title should make it!

On a more serious note, it's kind of annoying how most tournament over here have gravitated to the SF4/MvC3 binary to the exclusion of everything else, which ensures I don't set foot in them (but I'll travel for anything with KoF and DoA5 in it).
Extra annoying when the organizers are guys who've done well at other games like KoF and MK...

The though of no-Capcom/Ryu/SF events feels interesting, if maybe not that viable in a very limited FGC ecosystem... maybe compromising for MvC3 over the crossover factor... I actually finally bought the game since I made sure to get the DLC characters (and the superior classic strider skin) before they were delisted from PSN.

Dahbomb

Yea well the American FGC is just very Capcom oriented and you can find the roots in EVO or at least the instigator. EVO is the biggest FG tournament and it has always featured SF and MVC at the main stage.

Until a game overtakes those two.... the American FGC will remain Capcom influenced. Its sort of a vicious cycle... EVO makes SF/MVC mainstage, people get hyped over it and play it the most, those two games get most entrants and EVO puts them at main stage again repeating the cycle.

Frantic

Holy crap, even the hat is similar. We now know Honzo's favorite film.
I've seen a guy here[Texas] that not only looked exactly like Honzo Gonzo, but wore the exact same type of hat as Honzo Gonzo. It's like everyone who looks like Honzo wears that sort of hat. Or maybe that hat makes everyone look like Honzo?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yea well the American FGC is just very Capcom oriented and you can find the roots in EVO or at least the instigator. EVO is the biggest FG tournament and it has always featured SF and MVC at the main stage.

Until a game overtakes those two.... the American FGC will remain Capcom influenced. Its sort of a vicious cycle... EVO makes SF/MVC mainstage, people get hyped over it and play it the most, those two games get most entrance and EVO puts them at main stage again repeating the cycle.

I need to ask, what's your opinion on how Wizard runs EVO? I don't have any info but have heard a lot of hearsay that it is hype but isn't worth the money at the end of it. Would honestly prefer an eSports x FGC EVO but that'll never happen.

Until a game overtakes those two.... the American FGC will remain Capcom influenced. Its sort of a vicious cycle... EVO makes SF/MVC mainstage, people get hyped over it and play it the most, those two games get most entrants and EVO puts them at main stage again repeating the cycle.

but even outside America, which other games have as much presence (as Street Fighter)?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Get ready for our new overlords: Smash and Xrd

Until MVC4 comes out. Then every calls Xrd an anime fighter (gets a not so good reputation, even though I'm still gonna buy it) and Smash is patched so tripping is in the game again. The cycle continues!

Loona

MarkMan's cryptic warning: Nintendo will only allow Brawl

The same nintendo that's in financial troble, that could use the positive attention, and is unlikely to sell some more Wii Us until the new Smash is revealed?
I hope they're wiser than that, they came to their senses in time last year...

EVO would also be a great opportunity for them to announce a new character.

They could always support/sponsor a Brawl side-tournament and let Melee be on the main lineup, but ensuring the Brawl side-tournament has a substantially better prize.

Frankly, it's not hard to use the event to their favour - if they can afford to give away Zelda Four Sword to 3DS-owning americans, let people enjoy an oldder game's tournament.

Dahbomb

but even outside America, which other games have as much presence?
Tekken is fairly solid in Korea no?

BakedYams: I haven't been to EVO but people I know who have been there tend to enjoy it although its best to go there while also participating in the Vegas fun.

Now if you mean worth it for the players then I guess that depends. Only 0.1% of the entrants will come out of it with any real money. People generally compete in EVO for the prestige, so for them its about the experience.

If you had the chance then you should go. I would go if I have a chance but my job keeps me busy. Maybe in a few years I will finally go.

The same nintendo that's in financial troble, that could use the positive attention, and is unlikely to sell some more Wii Us until the new Smash is revealed?
I hope they're wiser than that, they came to their senses in time last year...

EVO would also be a great opportunity for them to announce a new character.

They could always support/sponsor a Brawl side-tournament and let Melee be on the main lineup, but ensuring the Brawl side-tournament has a substantially better prize.

Frankly, it's not hard to use the event to their favour - if they can afford to give away Zelda Four Sword to 3DS-owning americans, let people enjoy an oldder game's tournament.

Nintendo, using the competitive scene for Smash to their advantage?
maybe when Half Life 3 comes out

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
MVC4 will never come out. :<

The knife just keeps on going deeper. Help me pull it out!

Tekken is fairly solid in Korea no?

BakedYams: I haven't been to EVO but people I know who have been there tend to enjoy it although its best to go there while also participating in the Vegas fun.

Ah, I can only imagine video games aren't the only things done there. Just wish there was something a bit more professional like smash tournaments. You know, dressing up and actually being a commentator (that's the case until top 64 for most games though, then they pick it up).

Dahbomb

The knife just keeps on going deeper. Help me pull it out!

Ah, I can only imagine video games aren't the only things done there. Just wish there was something a bit more professional like smash tournaments. You know, dressing up and actually being a commentator (that's the case until top 64 for most games though, then they pick it up).
They have that at EVO too though. Top 8 EVO commentary is fairly professional now. Although I am not sure what you are expecting/wanting from EVO.

Three things I want to go to in the future... E3, The International and EVO.

Zissou

I don't think Capcom has anything fighting game-wise in the pipeline at the moment (with the exception of ultra, of course). SNK has nothing in development either. KoF fans and marvel fans are going to be stuck with the current iterations of their games for a long while.

I need to ask, what's your opinion on how Wizard runs EVO? I don't have any info but have heard a lot of hearsay that it is hype but isn't worth the money at the end of it. Would honestly prefer an eSports x FGC EVO but that'll never happen.

They actually tried this a few years ago when Evo partnered with MLG. It sucked.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
They have that at EVO too though. Top 8 EVO commentary is fairly professional now. Although I am not sure what you are expecting/wanting from EVO.

SL5vM4m.gif

I don't know, I guess it being a bit more cleaner to be in. I have never been there so I don't know what I'm saying. Hopefully I'll be able to go by 2015 and see it for myself!

Dahbomb

I don't think Capcom has anything fighting game-wise in the pipeline at the moment (with the exception of ultra, of course). SNK has nothing in development either. KoF fans and marvel fans are going to be stuck with the current iterations of their games for a long while.
Didn't Capcom say they got some fighting game in the works? I am pretty sure I heard something about it.

Loona

Nintendo, using the competitive scene for Smash to their advantage?
maybe when Half Life 3 comes out

The games helped sell Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, I think?

Since Brawl came up - apparently it's not considered as good as Melee on 1-on-1 compatition, but what about a 4-player match, does it break down as much technically?

I figure then the focus would be on different issues, making some 2-player problems a bit less important, but what do I know... If it were less problematic on matches with more players, perhaps nintendo could use that as the game's strong opint of something, let Melee be the good 2-player game, and aim for the next game to take the better lessons from both...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Didn't Capcom say they got some fighting game in the works? I am pretty sure I heard something about it.

Yeah, can't believe no one remembers. A bunch of the popular designers in Cap Japan are all working on games.I heard Ono was working on a couple, he didn't say what they were though, probably Deep Down.

Loona

SNK has been hiring for new KoF and Samurai Shodown projects for a while - when they'll come out is anyone's guess, but this year is KoF's 20th anniversary...

Niitris

Capcom and SNKP are both working on something

SNKP is in the middle of KoF 20th/XIV (which I presume will be out late this year and will probably be announced within a couple months). As a SNK fan, those renders leave me scared as hell.

Ono said he was getting a dev team together for a new fighter a few months ago, but I wouldn't expect anything until next year.

The games helped sell Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem, I think?

Since Brawl came up - apparently it's not considered as good as Melee on 1-on-1 compatition, but what about a 4-player match, does it break down as much technically?

I figure then the focus would be on different issues, making some 2-player problems a bit less important, but what do I know... If it were less problematic on matches with more players, perhaps nintendo could use that as the game's strong opint of something, let Melee be the good 2-player game, and aim for the next game to take the better lessons from both...

assuming you mean Brawl 2v2, it's actually pretty good, mainly because it avoids having the long periods of nothing that plague 1v1 matches (and tbh, there's more teamwork than Melee doubles)

but, that's doubles, which is pretty inconvenient

Zissou

SNK has been hiring for new KoF and Samurai Shodown projects for a while - when they'll come out is anyone's guess, but this year is KoF's 20th anniversary...

I will make an avatar bet that they don't release a new fighter this year.

The Light

Weren't SNK recruiting staff for a new 3D KOF and Samurai Shodown a while ago?
edit: beaten

Dahbomb

A friend who works there said they're working on nothing currently. Still waiting on someone to accept the avatar bet :p
LOL then what are they doing then?

Man game companies.... I want to be a fly on the wall at these Japanese game company HQ (with another fly translator) just so I can see what goes on there.

Top Bottom