• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 2-8 | Capcom does the Monster Nash

vocab

Slightly off-topic, can possibly lead to PM's, where the hell do I start on this series? I really wanna get into it cause of how weird it is. Never knew she had an eyepatch... is this series still going on? I'm so out of the loop.

You don't. It's fucking garbagio

Sayad

Also Yams you will probably appreciate it more as an adult. I saw it as a kid and was just mind fucked, unable to appreciate the subtleties and themes in the show.
This is true, you get to appreciate a lot of things you missed as kid.

One thing that really stood out for me which has nothing to do with the story/characters is the animation in EoE. That Asuka fight is an animation masterpiece, EVA02's movement and expression of weight/physics in its animation is SF3's level of perfection.

Anne

Oh hey, people in the thread talking about how Xrd wasn't that popular in the east :p If you keep up with arcade footage and social media you can actually tell that GG is relatively quiet in arcades.

Seyavesh

Oh hey, people in the thread talking about how Xrd wasn't that popular in the east :p If you keep up with arcade footage and social media you can actually tell that GG is relatively quiet in arcades.

isn't the most popular game by a large margin that waifu fighter whose name i forgot that's supposedly terrible

the one made by sega with the basketball girl and akira

because ughhhhhhhhh

If Xrd then we are getting a lot more games.
It's Xrd kokonoe already has a xrd level model.

Then we will be one step closer to BB vs. GG.

hzaJ4Hn.png

Anne

That game isn't awful, it's actually quite good (people keep saying it's bad cause lol waifus and simple, they actually probably have no idea what it's like) and I'm pretty sure it's not all that super popular anymore in arcades, although it has done extremely well for itself.

I'd have to go find a list of top arcade games, and I am lazy. I just know what I know for the games I follow. Xrd is pretty quiet, as is BBCP. P4U2 is blowing it up, UNiEL is dying down, etc

LegatoB

isn't the most popular game by a large margin that waifu fighter whose name i forgot that's supposedly terrible

the one made by sega with the basketball girl and akira

because ughhhhhhhhh
It's not even a terrible game, it's just really cynical and clearly has no budget (and actually pretty fun).

ANECDOTES AND ALL but when I was over there around September, I saw a lot of people playing it in nerd hotspots like the Akihabara arcades, but GG (and, like, every other fighter) had higher levels of competition by far

e: well, except UNIEL, which was pretty damn dead. Other than the one day I wandered into Leisureland during a team tournament.

OceanBlue

It's not even a terrible game, it's just really cynical and clearly has no budget (and actually pretty fun).

ANECDOTES AND ALL but when I was over there around September, I saw a lot of people playing it in nerd hotspots like the Akihabara arcades, but GG (and, like, every other fighter) had higher levels of competition by far

e: well, except UNIEL, which was pretty damn dead. Other than the one day I wandered into Leisureland during a team tournament.

I visited Tokyo in the beginning of the year. I didn't really visit too many arcades (I tried to hit the major ones but I think I missed some in Shinjuku), but IIRC the amount of players was like this: SF4 > DFC > BB > other games. I barely got to see any GG to be honest.

Lol I saw no one playing UNIEL. I saw more people playing AH3 (2 > 1 :V).

Anne

UNiEL being dead everywhere is kinda :v even in Japan some of the top ranked players stopped playing as much or seriously at all, and in NA the skill level plateaued, then dropped, then the numbers took a huge nosedive. Game needs some support.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
UNiEL being dead everywhere is kinda :v even in Japan some of the top ranked players stopped playing as much or seriously at all, and in NA the skill level plateaued, then dropped, then the numbers took a huge nosedive. Game needs some support.

A shame cause it's the best new game

petghost

Banned
Anne I know you are super involved in the anime community but do you play fgs outside of that genre? This is also kinda a question for everbody else ie nrs fans or 3d fans. I can't imagine only playing one subset of fighting games even if that subset is pretty diverse.

Anth0ny

The true way to watch Evangelion:

1. Watch the tv series, every episode. People saying "nono skip the last two" are dumb.
2. Watch End of Evangelion.
3. Watch the Rebuild movies
4. (optional) Get mad at Rebuild 3.0. Really really mad with 3.0.

Enjoy, yams!

This is the right way to watch.

Got damn 3.0 was so fucking bad. ugh.

Anne

Anne I know you are super involved in the anime community but do you play fgs outside of that genre? This is also kinda a question for everbody else ie nrs fans or 3d fans. I can't imagine only playing one subset of fighting games even if that subset is pretty diverse.

I was actually considered one of the strongest Nashville SF4 players for the period that I played. I ended up not enjoying the game after awhile and moved on. I play a lot of old games too that aren't "anime" like Project Justice and older SF games. I also take interest in SnK games but admit I don't put in the time, I mostly just observe those. I usually try anything when it first comes out. There are more games I wanna play tbh, but my resources are limited. I think DOA5 LR looks fun, and I wanna mess with 3D stuff but I run into the problem of not having anybody local to fall back on. Also there are pleny of games in the anime subgenre that all play differently and have an aesthetic that appeals to me, so I have enough on my plate to look at as is.

I actually love FGs of all genres and will watch and gather knowledge about anything. Actually playing is a bit of a problem sometimes though because I get frustrated when I can't find people who want to learn and play as far as I do with the games I really love :/

I'd keep playing it myself, but locally the game was never really alive and counting me there were only like 3 people that cared for the game and not just BBCP at the time :|

I play everything really altho that could be part of why I'm not actually good at anything either tbh :T

Why was Samurai Shodown V Special never ported to anything.

Because life sucks

Sayad

It's on PSN now I think. Another weird old SnK game I know too much about because kusoge amusement.
Oh! I always wondered what's the tier list for that game like. I played it a lot, but in an extremely closed environment where Kyo and Lee Pai were the strongest.
Did the game also have a lot of time outs in high level play?

I feel tempted to make a joke that street fighter can't be esports because the pros have no diversity. :p
Diversity in what way?!

Oh! I always wondered what's the tier list for that game like. I played it a lot, but in an extremely closed environment where Kyo and Lee Pai were the strongest.

Well the SRK wiki says

God Tier/Banned:
Goodman
S Class:
Mr. Big, Kim, Hotaru
A Class:
Marco, Iori, Robert, Lee, Haohmaru, Mizuchi, Hanzo, Kyo.
B Class:
Mai, Fuma, Shiki, Kaede, Moriya, Washizuka.
C Class:
Tung, "Master" Athena, K', Shermie, Mr. Karate, Neo Dio, "Master" Tung, Cyber Woo, Shishioh, Terry, Akari
D Class:
Rock, Geese, Mudman, Asura, Mars People (and Rising), Chonrei, Ai (and Rising)
E Class:
Yuki, Chonshu, Nakoruru, Genjyuro

Sounds about right from the discussion I remember around that time
Low tier Geese is weird as hell tbh

Anne

Diversity in what way?!

I don't see timeouts too often but they happen and the games typically don't go by quickly. The tier list really depends on who you ask since the game is relatively small. Kyo is good but not crazy, Lee is good. Kim's good as ever I know that. I know Tung Fu is ridiculous though haha what a character. Also watching AI setplay people is always amusing. That tier list is wild, I haven't seen 2 that line up yet.

Edit: The SRK tier list is okay in some regards, but it doesn't take into account some things I've seen haha. The popularity of chars that get play and what some of them do is ridic and a lot different. A lot of the SRK wikis are built on heavily outdated information.

Anne

I'm very sure it must be outdated by now, but then again where does one even get a recent tier list for this *shrug*

All I know for sure is almost everyone agrees Kim and Big are on top

In the weirdest of places. I know what the more modern KoF XI tier lists look like from watching videos of high level arcades and seeing tier lists/ratio lists taped to the sides of arcade cabinets lmao

Dahbomb

Another other 90's recs you can give me aside from Yuyu Hakusho, Kenshin and DBZ?
Berserk, Vision of Escaflowne, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Gundam 0083, Golden Boy, Record of Lodoss War, Slam Dunk, GTO were among my favorites from the 90s.

My list of fighting game characters I have played over the years:

SF2: Vega, Ken
SF3: Akuma
SF4: Guile

Soul Blade: Siegfried
SC1: Nightmare
SC2: Nightmare
SC3: Siegfried
SC4: Siegfried

Tekken 2: Kazuya
Tekken 3: Jin, Yoshimitsu
Tekken 4: Jin
Tekken 5: D. Jin, Raven
Tekken 6: Raven, D.Jin

MVC1: Wolverine, Gambit
MVC2: Storm, CapCom, Cable, Jin, Ken, Wolverine, Hayato (real team was Storm/Cable/CapCom)
MVC3: Wolverine, Akuma, Storm, Wesker, Iron Man

Skullgirls: Parasoul

VF4: Kage

MK1: Sub Zero
MK2: Sub Zero
UMK3: Sektor, Cyrax, Noob Saibot
MK4: Fujin
MK9: Kung Lao

Injustice: Deathstroke

Divekick: Jefailey

In the weirdest of places. I know what the more modern KoF XI tier lists look like from watching videos of high level arcades and seeing tier lists/ratio lists taped to the sides of arcade cabinets lmao

Heh, well at least they must be more accurate than any other random list now lol

Is KGO still as dominating in XI?

Sayad

Gato, Oswald and Kula changed places?! :eek:
What's it like now?

Anne

Heh, well at least they must be more accurate than any other random list now lol

Will never not be top 3 haha Some spots in Korea had Kula in her own top tier for a minute there.

Edit: I didn't say they changed much haha. They're still fairly similar with some guys like K' seeing a lot more play now.

Sayad

Oh, well. Back then when youtube was still young and I was on 120kbs internet, about 90% of my bandwidth would go to downloading 3s and XI videos from youtube. For XI, it was mostly Poongko videos, and mainly because there's no Gato/Oswald on his team... Not always at least. ;__;

For a second there, I thought KGO is some XI top player I haven't heard about before, then it hit me, lol.

Will never not be top 3 haha Some spots in Korea had Kula in her own top tier for a minute there.

Edit: I didn't say they changed much haha. They're still fairly similar with some guys like K' seeing a lot more play now.

lol I can't imagine them ever changing much other than maybe the middle tiers going a bit up or down with more exposure. Would've been interesting if they had released the PS2 arrange version as some sort of KoF XI-2 even if just to see how that meta would've developed.

Oh yeah, and I also remember some claims of Hayate, bottom tier, being some sort of secret S tier when played perfectly lol I doubt anything ever came out of that did it

Anne

lol I can't imagine them ever changing much other than maybe the middle tiers going a bit up or down with more exposure. Would've been interesting if they had released the PS2 arrange version as some sort of KoF XI-2 even if just to see how that meta would've developed.

Oh yeah, and I also remember some claims of Hayate, bottom tier, being some sort of secret S tier when played perfectly lol I doubt anything ever came out of that did it

We were watchign footage recently and a Hayate appeared on the screen and we were so mindfucked, he then proceeded to randomly kill a couple people in this team exhibition. He's still considered meh but it was hilarious to see people not know what to do.

We were watchign footage recently and a Hayate appeared on the screen and we were so mindfucked, he then proceeded to randomly kill a couple people in this team exhibition. He's still considered meh but it was hilarious to see people not know what to do.

God bless low tier warriors

Since I mentioned the arrange mode it made me remember just how bad people used to be (are?) about console versions that changed anything from the arcade and just instabanned everything that was added just because it wasn't in the arcade

Feels weird thinking about it these days

Top Bottom