• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 23-29 | Forever Yung at heArt

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I knew you'd love Redheaded stepchild Yams!

The cats out of the bag, I knew that one night stand with a gaffer would have ended up like this. Don't tell me I have to pay child support now cause fuck that. Pixelish can live in a ditch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Its that time again...
7lFl7lP.jpg
For me, it was this stage:

latest

This coincides with the first time I played Street Fighter II on my Genesis, and man it not only gave off an atmosphere for me but also kind of sparked my imagination. There was stuff in the foreground that went over the character sprites, people cheering on in the middleground and background, this grimey industrial look, foreign lettering, the glow in the background, it was complete. I remember switching over to the India stage and it feeling sparse and static in comparison. Of course it's stereotypical, but it felt cohesive to me. I was on Zangief's turf, and his presence was felt everywhere.

I remember that recently I came across this piece of art and I found it difficult to find that same connection with it, despite a lot of the elements being there and being nicer. Felt too sharp around the edges, too geometric, lacked the feeling that the other one gave me. Of course this is just a simple concept, so I sometimes wonder what the stage would look like if it was fully realized or Capcom decided to revisit Zangief's stage. I really appreciate Capcom going outside of the box and doing stuff like the Train Yard, though, which I feel like will turn into a classic years down the road.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm always open to find matches on 98UM, though no one randoms these days. Won't play 2k2, it's just boring how people play that.
Unfortunately I don't have it on Steam, just been messing around with non-Final Edition on the 360.
But yeah, still my favorite. I really liked how a lot of the characters turned out. Everything about the game just suits my style more.
There is frame data at a Japanese site: http://comesonobravo.jugem.jp/?eid=1638 No one never bother to translate any of it and it's been out for years.
Oh wow, thanks. This is really helpful. Only thing missing that I would've liked is invul frames (I still don't know which light DPs have invul) and active frames.

This really helps speed things up for me though, I appreciate it.
You own it but haven't added me on Steam? Shame on you.

Only on 360 at the moment. I'll get both 98UM and 02UM when I get a computer that isn't a toaster.

Anth0ny

Because it sucks having to see it for a couple of hours straight.

that's why? lol

if the players agree to play there... tough shit to the spectators who think it sucks to see it.

I've always liked plain stages without weird shit going on in the background. The SFxT stages in Ultra are especially dumb like that.

jerry1594

Played a bit of 3s on ps2 and a shitty RCA. even with a crappy dualshock 2 it's shocking how much more playable it is on crt than emulated on pc. It's like night and day for me, which only makes me sadder there's probably no cabs in chicago for any poverty games. other than galloping ghost in brookfield, and i heard their 3s cab is shitty.

that's why? lol

if the players agree to play there... tough shit to the spectators who think it sucks to see it.

I've always liked plain stages without weird shit going on in the background. The SFxT stages in Ultra are especially dumb like that.

Well, we agree to it because of potential lag reasons. I hate picking it, but I still do, heh. I hate that stage. I hope ps4 fixes this stage stuff.

I agree though, I hate all the sfxtekken stages in ultra. Especially online when they is lag. Gives me headaches. I like relative stable stages like the jungle bridge and without all the damn red in the background blending with the life bars. My color blind ass can't stand it! Haha.

Worst stages are Volcanic Rim and Crumbling Laboratory from SFIV.

ftfy

Also, Smug is the only American in the top 10 USF4 ranks

I was playing ranked yesterday, matched up against Henry Cen (he was using Seth). I won that match but had to ask him if he could teach me the matchup against Honda.
I begged
. Hopefully I can get some good matches against him and really learn how to punish Honda efficiently instead of trying to counter pick.

It's pretty much abuse K'/Kasumi/Nameless

Oops :p

Game is more about running gimmicks than solid play.

98UM has better balance and more interactive play. (some bs in 98UM as well, but not that bad)

This seems odd though, from what I've seen the game hasn't seemed especially gimmicky. Maybe the online population just spams gimmicks, but that's not really what the game is about, is it?

What do you consider gimmicks that those people spam? Just picking top tier? Or some kind of gameplay with that team/those characters that drives you nuts?

alstein

why is everyone tweeting about banning training stage? the fuck?

It's annoying to see it over and over. If someone picks training stage, I intentionally pick a non-training stage just to annoy them.

Oops :p

This seems odd though, from what I've seen the game hasn't seemed especially gimmicky. Maybe the online population just spams gimmicks, but that's not really what the game is about, is it?

What do you consider gimmicks that those people spam? Just picking top tier? Or some kind of gameplay with that team/those characters that drives you nuts?

Mostly that runaway is VERY easy with some chars. (and this is me complaining about runaway- runaway is my best style), Athena and Bao can run a lot of time off the clock. Mai's runaway is pretty good too, but it's fairer in comparison. In 98, runaway is doable, but it's easier to punish- you don't need to make multiple reads to get in.

Lag in Athena's case really makes the runaway even more effective.

sikvod00

Banned
So I re-watched the Dieminion vs Fuudo match. Does Fuudo have no respect for Guiles? Because he was playing pure rushdown, even reckless. The chicken wings at the start of almost every round was pretty amusing too! :eek: This isn't the first time he's destroyed Die by being super aggressive (last was WCG). I understand Guile is a zoner, but I think Fei can still win by playing more patient, which I thought fit his style. Guess he wasn't in the mood, lol.

So I re-watched the Dieminion vs Fuudo match. Does Fuudo have no respect for Guiles? Because he was playing pure rushdown, even reckless. The chicken wings at the start of almost every round was pretty amusing too! :eek: This isn't the first time he's destroyed Die by being super aggressive (last was WCG). I understand Guile is a zoner, but I think Fei can still win by playing more patient, which I thought fit his style. Guess he wasn't in the mood, lol.

You want disrespect, watch FChamp vs. Full Schedule. He's just straight up insulting FS with his gameplay.

Malice215

Wtf is that Sanford match on YouTube?

Not yet. I wished it would have made Capcom's top 5 moments at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIBnc561zcY

Thank you for posting this; it will make my life a million times easier. Question: how accurate is it usually?

Thank you. As far as the notable events, it's as accurate as I can make it provided that the organizer provides those pertinent details. Not everyone is good at that, especially now with info scattered all over the place and on social media, but I've been able to put the pieces together, and if any changes, I'll make those updates as well.

I also added some local events that are also taking place this weekend that I didn't get a chance to add. TSB should be another drunken riot.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

As far as favorite stages, Alpha 2 and 3rd Strike have some of the best 2D stages that I can think of. CVS1 also has some great stages which really tied the two companies together. This stage in Xrd is also a standout for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rit7xFmvRA0

In 3D games, Osthrinesburg Chapel in SC2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SH-NEyUSLI

And the Lotus Garden in SC3. Alot of people like to trash SC3, but it really has the best stages and music of the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKgcCOqqh8

kitzkozan

ftfy

I was playing ranked yesterday, matched up against Henry Cen (he was using Seth). I won that match but had to ask him if he could teach me the matchup against Honda.
I begged
. Hopefully I can get some good matches against him and really learn how to punish Honda efficiently instead of trying to counter pick.

That top 10 is interesting, but it's based on points accumulated? I think Fuudo is easily more dangerous than Smug or Snake. Oh by the way, there's two Americans in that top 10 unless that page isn't up to date. :p

With all the talk of remasters being a plague lately, I'm tempted to buy the upcoming PS4 port of USFIV lol. I'm hopeful that with Sony help, it's not going to suffer from frames delay and the netcode can't be worse than on PSN for the PS3 right?

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm confident Capcom forgot they announced Ultra for PS4.

latest

Platforms were the perfect height for practicing the game's variety of movement options. I'd lose hours of my time just being creative there, and the transformations only supplemented that. Most people saw FD a training stage at the time I played, but for me, that was the training stage.

Mostly that runaway is VERY easy with some chars. (and this is me complaining about runaway- runaway is my best style), Athena and Bao can run a lot of time off the clock. Mai's runaway is pretty good too, but it's fairer in comparison. In 98, runaway is doable, but it's easier to punish- you don't need to make multiple reads to get in.

Lag in Athena's case really makes the runaway even more effective.

K'/Kasumi/Nameless and most one-character-switched variants thereof don't seem like a very runaway-oriented team to me at least?

mbpm1

Gllty with the prematch mind games

If you've seen imstilldadaddy vs mago way back in 2012 version he plays exactly the same way. Fei just mauls guileand that's the way the matchup is best played. Jump strong too good especially in the corner

ftfy

I begged

#YungArtWasRobbed

Thanks for the link! I'll def check that out

ftfy

I begged

yo i main honda, let's get some games in some time. i was in the top 10 honda players on Xbox Live in the first few weeks, but i had a hiatus and now i'm around 107 or something lol.

Shouta

Looks like Kitasenju DJ was able to contact his job and explain the situation. His job should hopefully be safe!

Also, apparently, Kokujin and Nuki are doing JP commentary for the Red Bull Kumite this weekend? Sick.

Marceles

Its that time again...
7lFl7lP.jpg

I used to be a huge Tekken fan before Tekken 4 came out, I've gotta go with Tekken 2 Kazuya stage. So simple, but it felt like it was just you vs. who you were fighting to finally settle the score.

IJdag.png

Runner up is proably Guile's SF2T stage. The music, the blue uniforms instead of green, and finishing someone off so they hit the boxes was so gratifying.

Air_Force_Base_Guile.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157277767]I was gonna play fighting games this week but Bloodborne is too serious right now.[/QUOTE]

Gotta budget for those load times, right Kappa

Top Bottom