• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Aeana

Apenheul said:
Final Fantasy II

I don't get why so many people put this entry on the bottom of their list (please spare me the weapon-leveling system argument), I personally liked it better than 1, 3, and 13. It was more streamlined than 1, still allowing for exploration but at least gave some decent hints as to where to go, and the progression was really good IMO.
It's a very easily misunderstood game. I was guilty of this when I first played it over 20 years ago. It wasn't until a couple of years ago when I decided to figure it out, and I turned my opinion around on it completely once I decided to actually not pay a whole lot of attention to my stats and let things develop naturally for the most part. And to be honest, in all ways besides the progression system, it is better than several of the other FF games.

Emitan

SpaceBridge said:
Is this even possible? I mean, were you able to beat the game by doing this?
If the game is set to pause when you bring up the menu Gambits aren't really necessary. I just use generic healing and status removing gambits.

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:
It's a very easily misunderstood game. I was guilty of this when I first played it over 20 years ago. It wasn't until a couple of years ago when I decided to figure it out, and I turned my opinion around on it completely once I decided to actually not pay a whole lot of attention to my stats and let things develop naturally for the most part. And to be honest, in all ways besides the progression system, it is better than several of the other FF games.
I really like it as well, much more than one for sure. Story and characters are interesting, and I'm a sucker for the sacrificing party member. I didn't grind when I played it as well, and the end parts were pretty tough, but I managed to pull through. Magic is broken as hell though.

Labadal said:
Let the list war begin!
I'm joking, I'll be elaborating on my list when I get some time.

Bang!

Although they feel so different for me to choose a definite order. Love the poignancy of VII's lifestream story, the chaos of Kefka from VI, the light-heartiness of IX and the size of XII.

Favorites

IX, VII, VI, XII

Least Favorites

X-2, XIII

Most conflicted

VIII

Chiave

My favorites would be the one's that are on PS2 except for XI since I never played it. And Dirge of Cerberus kind of sucked...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I should give FFII another go. One of my problems was that I always had no idea where to go... Same case with FFI but I managed to complete it (but with a guide).

I should give V another go also (stopped before the final boss). Not sure about III (didnt like the NDS version) and XII (didnt like it at all).

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
I should give FFII another go. One of my problems was that I always have no idea where to go... Same case with FFI but I managed to complete it (but with a guide).

I should give V another go also (stopped before the final boss). Not sure about III (didnt like the NDS version) and XII (didnt like it at all).
I don't like the DS version of FF3, either. I like the Famicom version a lot more.
That said, FF3 was my first FF game so I do have a little bit of nostalgia there. Some people just never take to it.

StuBurns

Banned
While I'd say VI is the best, VIII is my favourite, it's the first I played, and the one I've played most. In retrospect I think there's a lot to hate about it, but at the time, it gave me a sense of a tangible game world to explore better than anything I'd played until that point.

It wasn't my first Command-RPG though, I'd played DW Monsters and Pokemon R/B already, but the advantage of a console in terms of the visuals selling the world was a huge for me at the time.

My least favourite would be XII, I don't think it's the worst, but it was the worst since I've liked the series, and maybe the one I was most hyped for, just because of how long I had to wonder about it. I remember looking at a single piece of art on RPGamer for a very long time before it was out, like early high school time I think.

EDIT:
ff12poster.jpg

December '02. I played the game Feb '07. That's some Versus shit.

Lebron

I recently replayed Final Fantasy VI and come to realize that it's the best in the series for me.

Why? Two things. First, Batshit crazy Kefka. He actually got shit done. People be all like but Sephiroth killed Aerith, hah! Kefka committed genocide. Multiple times. And he became a God. He simply wanted to destroy everything and create a world of nothingness just because. You can't get any more boss crazy than that.

Then we have Dancing Mad, probably the best boss theme in the series.The music perfectly reflects his character, from start to finish. His rise to power all the way to his eventual demise. That just made the final battle even more memorable, despite being easy as holy fuck. The track has unpredictable changes, just like Kefka. Just when you think you've beat him, they both change. Now the tone and battle have once again shifted. Then towards the end we get the final change, the change that tells us that Kefka knows he's going to lose, but at the same time, he doesn't care. He accepts his fate and simply turns to dust at the end and doesn't say a word. He didn't need a speech, that whole final battle with Dancing Mad playing was his final speech. Everything you needed to know about the character laid out in a 18min track. Like a boss. Uematsu, you son of a bitch, you.

"Why do people insist on creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people cling to life, knowing that they must someday die? ...Knowing that none of it will have meant anything once they do?"

Man, I wish they would remake this one again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, did anyone like FFVIII not for its gameplay but rather for its overall presentation? Like the cutscene direction, its towns and dungeons, its GFs, and the special attacks?

Aeana said:
I don't like the DS version of FF3, either. I like the Famicom version a lot more.
That said, FF3 was my first FF game so I do have a little bit of nostalgia there. Some people just never take to it.

Unfortunately, it's the least accessible FF due to having one localized version only, basically the NDS version which was also ported to the iPhone. I wish SE would release a 2D version of the game in English. :/

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
Unfortunately, it's the least accessible FF due to having one localized version only, basically the NDS version which was also ported to the iPhone. I wish SE would release a 2D version of the game in English. :/
There are at least two separate but both excellent fan translations of the Famicom version, so those are options.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
I really like it too. The music is great, the narrative and characters are pretty good, and the progression system--when played through correctly (ie: not beating up your own characters to increase stats)--is actually kind of cool (use something more you level it up; use something less, your skills will be a bit rusty). It's less boring that way.

I still think that it benefitted greatly from ports and remakes (and thus is more palatable for newer players).

Aeana

Dark Schala said:
I really like it too. The music is great, the narrative and characters are pretty good, and the progression system--when played through correctly (ie: not beating up your own characters to increase stats)--is actually kind of cool (use something more you level it up; use something less, your skills will be a bit rusty). It's less boring that way.

I still think that it benefitted greatly from ports and remakes (and thus is more palatable for newer players).
In the end, the way I found to enjoy it was to just go ahead and use anti a couple of times on my characters to boost their MP some and then play pretty much normally, going to Mysidia early to grab some fire spears as well. It worked very well and I had a great time.

Snake

This thread is for me! But I see little talk of the best FF:

Final Fantasy Tactics
It owns. Discuss.
Kidding!

In all seriousness FFT isn't truly my favorite, despite my username. I'll never be able narrow it down beyond IV/VI/VII/VIII/X/T. Each has its own unique merits.

I think I need to replay FFX though. It's been at least five years since the last time.

Final Fantasy VIII
I had a dream, once. A beautiful, simple dream.
I used to dream, after finishing this game, that there would one day be a Final Fantasy Online. (Crazy talk i know!) I would spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about it.
Basically, it took place in the FF8 world. Now everybody from different countries would all live in different Gardens. We, as the individual players, would all be students of our respective Gardens and go on SEED missions together with groups of students.
Missions would take place all over the world and everything from FF8, travelling, wages, etc would all be implemented.
CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW AMAZING THIS GAME WOULD'VE BEEN!?

Beth Cyra

I'm not a big fan of II, don't hate it.

However I love how Firion has been used in recent times. His design is awesome and the way he was used in Dissidia made him one of my top three characters from the game.

Emitan

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Final Fantasy VIII
I had a dream, once. A beautiful, simple dream.
I used to dream, after finishing this game, that there would one day be a Final Fantasy Online. (Crazy talk i know!) I would spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about it.
Basically, it took place in the FF8 world. Now everybody from different countries would all live in different Gardens. We, as the individual players, would all be students of our respective Gardens and go on SEED missions together with groups of students.
Missions would take place all over the world and everything from FF8, travelling, wages, etc would all be implemented.
CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW AMAZING THIS GAME WOULD'VE BEEN!?
But it would only be good if it was based off a good game like VI, IX , or XII.

xxczx

Mature said:
Did anyone else play My life as King? That game gobbled up my life...
That's one of the few games that kept me up until 6am.

Shame I don't own a Wii now, though it's probably for the better.

ULTROS! said:
Just wondering, did anyone like FFVIII not for its gameplay but rather for its overall presentation? Like the cutscene direction, its towns and dungeons, its GFs, and the special attacks?
Me!!!
I was ridiculously hyped for FFXIII due solely to its world being seemingly reminiscent of FFVIII. I think the presentation was outstanding, everything from the school systems, factions and layouts (even down to the damn desks in the classrooms!) to the world at large, the vehicles, transport and towns. Adding to this was the best score of any FF, great cutscenes and an overwhelming amount of personality (ironic considering Squall but whatever).
If I could live in any FF world, it would be VIII's for sure.

Kazerei

Banned
How many people think the best FF is the first one they played? *raises hand*

I owned a SNES, but didn't play FFIV or FFVI, and I've never owned a PS1. But when I got a PS2, I finally picked up FFIX. To me, it's like the ideal FF game, and I compare all other entries to it. The story is great, the characters are fun, and the gameplay is solid. Overall FFIX feels like a traditional FF game refined to perfection. Mmmyeah.

Aeana

Kazerei said:

I owned a SNES, but didn't play FFIV or FFVI, and I've never owned a PS1. But when I got a PS2, I picked up FFIX. To me, it's like the ideal FF game, and I compare all other entries to it. The story is great, the characters are fun, and the gameplay is solid. Overall FFIX feels like a traditional FF game refined to perfection. Mmmyeah.
Not me. FF3 (Famicom) is the first one I played, but it is far from one of my favorites.

Emitan

Kazerei said:

I owned a SNES, but didn't play FFIV or FFVI, and I've never owned a PS1. But when I got a PS2, I finally picked up FFIX. To me, it's like the ideal FF game, and I compare all other entries to it. The story is great, the characters are fun, and the gameplay is solid. Overall FFIX feels like a traditional FF game refined to perfection. Mmmyeah.
The first I played was X. My favorite is VI. I don't get the whole "the first I played was the best" thing that FF has.

Beth Cyra

Kazerei said:

No, in fact it took 4 (played IV, VI and VII) games into the franchise before I found one really enjoyable.

As for IX, it's the one I like the least so I can't agree on that idea either.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
As long as we're going to talk about various games in the series...

Crystal Bearers: Am I the only one who really enjoyed this game? I think I am. It makes me seriously question my taste if I love a game that is universally considered terrible. I hated the first hour of it. The controls were abominable until I finally got used to them. But after that, I enjoyed every second of it. The world wasn't exactly huge, but I still thought it had excellent exploration. I spent a large chunk of time just wandering around to every corner and taking pictures (like the ones here and here.)

Looking at the pictures makes me want to play again :x Good times.

ULTROS!

Kazerei said:

It's usually the case that one of your first few FFs would be your favorite. My first was VII, then VIII, then IX. IX became my favorite, only to be overtaken by X.

I truly believe that there is no horrible FF (well... There might be one like XIV). Even XIII and VIII have a number of fans.

Lebron

Billychu said:
The first I played was X. My favorite is VI. I don't get the whole "the first I played was the best" thing that FF has.
It's always like that, just not for FF's. It's just the nostalgia of it all.

Kazerei said:

Nope. My first was III. I enjoyed it well enough, but after playing the rest of the series, it just feels too "plain" for me.

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
It's usually the case that one of your first few FFs would be your favorite. My first was VII, then VIII, then IX. IX became my favorite, only to be overtaken by X.

I truly believe that there is no horrible FF (well... There might be one like XIV). Even XIII and VIII have a number of fans.
I didn't get a contender for a favorite until I got to 5.
I went 3 -> 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 5 and then in sequential order from there.

Kazerei

Banned
I guess I'm alone then D:

I think FFIX gets overlooked because it's not really unique or special compared to the other recent entries. But it's very memorable to me because it was one of the first RPGs I really got into. Even when I re-play it, it makes me smile.

Final Fantasy IV
Worst FF game I have ever played, thanks to the atrocious story.

Final Fantasy 6
I've already discussed this to death, but I'm not a fan. I can see why it's so popular though.

Final Fantasy 9
Probably the best game in the series that I've played. To buck the trend of "first FF = best FF," FF8 was actually the first one I played. I like it, but once I got my hands on 9, there was no looking back. Same thing with Tactics actually, although I'm not sure how many people consider that part of the "main" series or whatever.

Emitan

Lebron said:
It's always like that, just not for FF's. It's just the nostalgia of it all.
The only series I can think of where the first game I played was my favorite is Mario and Star Fox. But I only played Super Mario World for an hour the first time I played it and then after that never got the chance to play it again for years, so that hardly counts. And I think that Star Fox 64 is a better game than the SNES one and I doubt the order I played them in meant anything.

I spent hundreds of hours playing the original Super Smash Bros (I have 100 hours clocked just playing as Mario). Melee came out and I put in thousands of hours.

Apenheul said:
Final Fantasy II

I don't get why so many people put this entry on the bottom of their list (please spare me the weapon-leveling system argument), I personally liked it better than 1, 3, and 13. It was more streamlined than 1, still allowing for exploration but at least gave some decent hints as to where to go, and the progression was really good IMO.

I didn't like the game all that much but beat it surprisingly (Didn't even know till I found my gba cart and had a clear data with my name on it). One thing it did have was a bomb soundtrack.

Aeana said:
Oh noo, the door is locked. Farewell, friends! <suicides>
AUGH, DON'T REMIND ME

Maybe if the game didn't
over-abuse the character deaths
, I wouldn't have minded the game so much. But when
the twins petrified themselves
, that was the tipping point for me. I turned the game off and deleted my save.

EmreBFG

That wasn't the case for me. I first played FF1. I liked it a lot at the time but it was obvious after the first half of the game that it lost its footing (IMHO).

I then played FF4 and loved it.

And then I played FF6 and loved it most.

VII, VIII and VI were my three favorites until I got around to playing V Advance.

Cant decide between VIII and V as my absolute favorite, though.

Beth Cyra

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
VII, VIII and VI were my two favorites until I got around to playing V Advance.

Cant decide between VIII and V as my absolute favorite, though.
VIII and V are among my favorites as well.

I loved both of their combat systems so much. I think the only reason why V fell lower on my list then VIII is because X-2 exists and it takes V's system to such an amazing extreme it's brilliant.

The first FF I beat was Mystic Quest (USA). Normally I had trouble with the final boss and had to have a brother or sister beat it, but I think I finished it eventually.

After that it was probably 4, 6, or Legends.

I was introduced to the series by FF7 and played them all afterwards and then it became my favorite franchise, my favorites are:

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • final Fantasy IX

Least favorite:

• Final Fantasy VIII

My favorite portable FF games are Crisis Core and FF tactics Advanced .

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Just finished War of the Lions on the PSP recently.
My favorite dialogue from Ramza (paraphrasing most of it)
Ramza: "Why must blood be spilt? can't we talk this over?"
Confessor Zalmour: "You're an heretic, you should die at the stake. I will not talk with the likes of yours!"
Ramza: "... then you force my hand" *kills Zalmour*
I haven't laughed so loud in any FF. Ramza is such a ruthless asshole, I love his characterization.

TruePrime said:
VIII and V are among my favorites as well.

I loved both of their combat systems so much. I think the only reason why V fell lower on my list then VIII is because X-2 exists and it takes V's system to such an amazing extreme it's brilliant.
Haven't played it yet, but I've heard amazing things about the combat and the Dressphere system.

Wazzim

Banned
DKnight said:
Just finished War of the Lions on the PSP recently.
My favorite dialogue from Ramza (paraphrasing most of it)
Ramza: "Why must blood be spilt? can't we talk this over?"
Confessor Zalmour: "You're an heretic, you should die at the stake. I will not talk with the likes of yours!"
Ramza: "... then you force my hand" *kills Zalmour*
I haven't laughed so loud in any FF. Ramza is such a ruthless asshole, I love his characterization.
FFT is (overall) the best FF in my opinion, I love the setting and dialogue.

Aeana

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Haven't played it yet, but I've heard amazing things about the combat and the Dressphere system.
It definitely has my favorite combat in the series, and I love the garment grid system that's used for changing dresspheres.

Top Bottom