• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth New Trailer Revealed, Coming in Early 2024 on 2 Discs | Summer Game Fest 2023

th4tguy

I’ve said this before but I’m more convinced I’m right now. This remake is being treated just like the latest Evangelion movies.
Story starts very similar. Diverges in an interesting way. Next one comes out and it becomes it’s own thing. Last one comes out embracing it’s crazy twist and tying it into the main story timeline in a clever way.

Go_Ly_Dow

I’ve said this before but I’m more convinced I’m right now. This remake is being treated just like the latest Evangelion movies.
Story starts very similar. Diverges in an interesting way. Next one comes out and it becomes it’s own thing. Last one comes out embracing it’s crazy twist and tying it into the main story timeline in a clever way.
Probably not far off

K2D

Banned
For story twists.. based on Sephiroth's word twisting in the trailer - I wonder if Cloud will be wielding the Masamune, come ending of Rebirth..

Last edited:
Like it or not SE simply didn’t want to make 1:1 remake of the game and chose to go different direction and in my opinion it payed off.

No matter what SE does some group of people gonna get pissed off regardless so they chose to do something interesting.
I never said I wanted a 1:1. I said abandoning the story entirely would be pointless because it's still FF7. Particularly after marketing keeps talking about how they are not going to deviate too far. Outright lying to your fans and stringing them along isn't cool.

I'm all for new mysteries and new ideas, just don't forget the core of the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I never said I wanted a 1:1. I said abandoning the story entirely would be pointless because it's still FF7. Particularly after marketing keeps talking about how they are not going to deviate too far. Outright lying to your fans and stringing them along isn't cool.

I'm all for new mysteries and new ideas, just don't forget the core of the game.
They were just trying surprise the players, Yoko Taro did same thing with Drakengard 3. It starts as prequel to original Drakengard but half way through the game goes it’s own timeline thanks to Accord’s interference.

Have you notice that most Resident Evil remakes and even Dead Space remake don’t have “Remakes” on their titles but with FFVIIR they actively put “Remake” in the title.

Think of this game as part of Final Fantasy VII compilation, same way Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus was.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Part 1 - Timeline (Remake)
Part 2 - Character (Rebirth)
Part 3 - ??? (???)

Reunion? Redemption? Remembrance? Revolt?

They were just trying surprise the players, Yoko Taro did same thing with Drakengard 3. It starts as prequel to original Drakengard but half way through the game goes it’s own timeline thanks to Accord’s interference.

Have you notice that most Resident Evil remakes and even Dead Space remake don’t have “Remakes” on their titles but with FFVIIR they actively put “Remake” in the title.

Think of this game as part of Final Fantasy VII compilation, same way Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus was.
I'm fully aware they are remaking the timeline. I have absolutely no problem with that. I think it's smart to introduce new mysteries and story concepts to keep it interesting for old fans and new fans alike. My problem is with the idea of "Completely throwing the story out," for one I don't believe this will be true at all. Everything we've been seeing and hearing about Rebirth shows it's still very much keeping the crux of the story alive, I don't believe they are lying at all to fans. All the themes and ideas from the OG are very relevant in the new trailer. It's all leading to similar issues the OG game had which is the unreliable narrator story.

Kitase: “I can’t reveal the specific scope of the story, but there are no major events from the original version that are missing from the entire story. However, in “FFVII REBIRTH” you will not necessarily visit the locations that appeared in the original version in the exact same order. Some locations are visited in a different order.”

Or this

"The focal point of the story hasn’t been changed. As for the new mysteries that differ from the original Final Fantasy VII, players of the original will be able to enjoy the game in a new way. The challenge we tackled for this project was how to include those new mysteries without deviating from the original."

On the PS store they describe FF7 Rebirth as a reimagining which is totally in line with what Resident Evil did with it's recent remakes. It took the same story elements but built them into a new version of the game.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if they used Reunion, given that they already put it on Crisis Core. Square titles are redundant a lot of the time, but usually not flat out repetitive.
FF7 Rebuild ( fix everything that went wrong because of Seph tricking the crew into defeating fate giving Seph too much power )
or
FF7 Return ( implying a return to the planet or promised land )

IMO

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
FF7 Rebuild ( fix everything that went wrong because of Seph tricking the crew into defeating fate giving Seph too much power )
or
FF7 Return ( implying a return to the planet or promised land )

IMO

Return, Reset, and Redemption are my pick. Redemption makes sense to me thematically because a lot of The Compilation of FFVII (and to a lesser degree the original game) had these themes of guilt, guilt over the reactor situation, guilt over human Greed, and most of all survivor's guilt. We've seen it in Crisis Core, Advent Children, and even Dirge of Cerberus (where, curiously enough, the ending theme is a Gackt song titled "Redemption,")

There's like a 95% chance I'm not in the same universe as the ball park, but being wrong is fun.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, is there any mention or appearance of the Gold Saucer? It seems that should fit within part 2 if following the original game's order of events.

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, is there any mention or appearance of the Gold Saucer? It seems that should fit within part 2 if following the original game's order of events.
In the original teaser for Rebirth, Aerith says, " I'm trying so hard to find you."
In the original game at the Gold Saucer date she says, " I'm searching for you"

This feels like a hint that it's in the game to me.

There was also an interview a while back where I believe Kitase said he's most excited to work on Gold Saucer.
Honestly, I feel like it's a no brainer inclusion and I wouldn't be surprised if this game goes all the way to Northern Crater. It's the best and darkest way to end the game.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Shouldn't have to wait long until the next trailer. Quick guess at the marketing cycle...

-trailer 2 at TGS and release date
-trailer 2 or trailer 3 at Autumn PS Showcase and release date
-trailer 3 or 4 at The Games Awards
-FF7 Rebirth State of Play in Jan/Feb
-Release date Feb-April

Something like that....

“On 2 discs”

Does it matter in this day and age beyond being a marketing gimmick? Massive portions of the sales will be digital anyway.

Call me when it’s “on 2 digitals” lol

im buying this day 1 regardless

Last edited:
Sorry if dumb question - but does the physical FF VII Intergrade on PS5 come with Yuffie DLC on the actual disc or is it free download voucher? If so, is there any way the DLC comes as physical or is it strictly a download no matter how you get it? Thanks! 🙏

Sorry if dumb question - but does the physical FF VII Intergrade on PS5 come with Yuffie DLC on the actual disc or is it free download voucher? If so, is there any way the DLC comes as physical or is it strictly a download no matter how you get it? Thanks! 🙏
I had the DLC in my menu and definitely didn't use any voucher. However, I didn't try it, so I don't know if clicking on it brings you to the PS Store or whatever. That would surprise me, however.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not a fan of the big deviation from the original story. Square and Nomura's recent track record with narrative has been shitty to say the least. Loved the Remake up until things started getting too Kojima.
it deviants because it's not a remake, it's sequel and the original still happens in FFVII Remake.
which I think is genius

Dynasty8

it deviants because it's not a remake, it's sequel and the original still happens in FFVII Remake.
which I think is genius
I know, just not a fan of that. Would have preferred a 1:1 remake with some subtle changes instead of going the route for "unknown journey" sequel. I just don't trust modern day Nomura with the direction he takes stories anymore and felt the end of VII Remake leaned heavily on nonsensical storytelling similar to Kingdom Hearts IMHO.

For the record, the original is my favorite game of all time and I am without a doubt going to play Rebirth.

I know, just not a fan of that. Would have preferred a 1:1 remake with some subtle changes instead of going the route for "unknown journey" sequel. I just don't trust modern day Nomura with the direction he takes stories anymore and felt the end of VII Remake leaned heavily on nonsensical storytelling similar to Kingdom Hearts IMHO.

For the record, the original is my favorite game of all time and I am without a doubt going to play Rebirth.
100%.. 😢 Shame, my biggest problem with it means we will never get a real FF VII remake, just this fanfic sequel.

Boneless

I was hoping with Nomura gone this would have a more mature, serious and grittier tone like the original, rather than the Kingdom Hearts tone like FFVII remake.

It will be OK I guess, but like the first one they show everything, focus on spectacle rather than mystery and excellence in storytelling. Overall the trailer was pretty poorly done compared to something like FFXVI.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I was hoping with Nomura gone this would have a more mature, serious and grittier tone like the original, rather than the Kingdom Hearts tone like FFVII remake.

It will be OK I guess, but like the first one they show everything, focus on spectacle rather than mystery and excellence in storytelling. Overall the trailer was pretty poorly done compared to something like FFXVI.
I thought the FF7 Remake part 1 trailers undersold the game. I get the impression the Rebirth trailers are doing the same.

Sigh, I did just finish the Yuffie DLC. I was starting to enjoy it and felt like they did a decent job with characterizing her as I wasn't much of a fan of her in the original game. But then I got towards the end and
those character reveals from the compilation suck (Weiss and Nero). It makes me feel all over again Rebirth is going places I have no wish to visit narratively. And then the whole scene with dead man Zack, obviously there after plate collapse at the church... Shit is tiring. I still held out hope they were going to keep him where he belonged, but after that scene I don't anymore. But yeah final boss/sequences kind of soured me on the DLC, otherwise I thought it was pretty solid.
Love the Condor mini game though.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
How many discs was the first Final Fantasy VII Remake?

The game sounds like it's going to be huge.

Flutta

Banned
There’s a part 3?? Huh how long is the original lmao… never played it. Or is part 3 just a added padding?

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
There’s a part 3?? Huh how long is the original lmao… never played it. Or is part 3 just a added padding?
The original is a 40-80 hour game in my recollection. Edit: Part 1 covers 4-8 hours of the original game.

Remake has both padding of gameplay as well as fleshing out story and throwing around some plot for it to make sense as a stand alone game.

You should give the original a try.

I recommend:

Preferably; PS1 version through emulation (on PC or PS3), or

Steam with mods (for as close to an original experience as possible)

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The Steam version modded (even lightly) of the original is able to run the battle animations at 60fps, so IMO you'd be crazy to use a different version that would be locked to 30 - I bought it on console as well but the 30fps just feels horrible to me after seeing it at 60fps. The game looks so much better at 60fps. I played through the entire original modded on Steam before Remake, and I loved Remake even more because of that. All the expanded story was great, and they did a great job portraying the FFVII characters in modern gen, and introducing new surprises particularly in the Wall Market section of the game, which is probably the highlight of the original in both being a HD Town come to life and not just some corridor town, and having an awesome quest line to play through.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the original was turn based with random encounters. Couple that with unskippable animations and atrocious loading times...

PS1 JRPGs were a different breed.

Top Bottom