• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth New Trailer Revealed, Coming in Early 2024 on 2 Discs | Summer Game Fest 2023

So a very trust worthy Reeee insider dropped some major leaks on the game

0LYx2p3.png
Yeah there's some extra
He also said he'd say it's about 50% new and it's zone based but smaller than XVI in that regard ( I think ). He also said the combat was sublime.

The thing about his spoilers is it all depends on context. People have different perspectives on things. It does worry me some though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not a fan of the big deviation from the original story. Square and Nomura's recent track record with narrative has been shitty to say the least. Loved the Remake up until things started getting too Kojima.
I played original game to death and know the story and every beat but with Remake and Rebirth I have no idea what’s going to happen that’s fucking exciting to me.

I don’t know, I personally very happy with direction they taking the story.

Last edited:

Davesky

There was a developer interview around a year ago when they stated that although the order may change slightly and you might wonder if they have skipped over certain parts when playing the game, nothing has been left out. It's also been previously stated that they wanted to expand Wutai so my bet is that entire continent is being saved for part 3 along with the northern continent, and this game is going to have the two main continents. My only hope is that eventually you will be able to traverse the entire world.

I played original game to death and know the story and every beat but with Remake and Rebirth I have no idea what’s going to happen that’s fucking exciting to me.

I don’t know, I personally very happy with direction they taking the story.
Nothing wrong to want to be surprised, I do too. I just don't want them to just toss out the classic story entirely. There's ways to reimagine a story people love in fresh ways. There's so many incredible moments from the original story that would be enhanced with voice work, modern tech, camera work and the excellent new soundtrack.

I just think there's a balance to these things and I get if people are hesitant if they leave it all behind, particularly because there's a good chance it won't be as good of a story. Creative Business 1 don't make games like they used to storywise so its natural to want them to rely a bit more on their golden age of games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Nothing wrong to want to be surprised, I do too. I just don't want them to just toss out the classic story entirely. There's ways to reimagine a story people love in fresh ways. There's so many incredible moments from the original story that would be enhanced with voice work, modern tech, camera work and the excellent new soundtrack.

I just think there's a balance to these things and I get if people are hesitant if they leave it all behind, particularly because there's a good chance it won't be as good of a story.
They didn't, the OG FFVII is available EVERYWHERE and people can play that to experience original story. This game might have "remake" on title but they are not actual remake....

NoU4f3I.png

SkylineRKR

The thing with the story is that vets absolutely don't know whats going to happen. Which is a plus. I have played the original many times but I have no clue what Rebirth will change. We've already seen certain characters survive this time. We've seen Zack who in some timeline or for some reason, ventures into Midgar. I think he had Buster Sword so it can't be the same timeline or its a lucid dream. But all these things are open for speculation.

I've come to terms with it. I wasn't a fan of Sephiroth constantly popping up in part 1 and just being a pretentious dick, but if there is a reason I look out for this game its to see how it unfolds, because I wasn't too hot on Part 1 in general.

K2D

Banned
The thing with the story is that vets absolutely don't know whats going to happen. Which is a plus. I have played the original many times but I have no clue what Rebirth will change. We've already seen certain characters survive this time. We've seen Zack who in some timeline or for some reason, ventures into Midgar. I think he had Buster Sword so it can't be the same timeline or its a lucid dream. But all these things are open for speculation.

I've come to terms with it. I wasn't a fan of Sephiroth constantly popping up in part 1 and just being a pretentious dick, but if there is a reason I look out for this game its to see how it unfolds, because I wasn't too hot on Part 1 in general.
The Sephiroth Cloud mind fuckery is absolutely going to be cranked up to 11 in Rebirth!

Brock2621

I’m so so hyped for this. I absolutely ADORE FF7 OG and play it almost every year through, which is why not exactly knowing where this new trilogy is going on top of the beautiful fresh coat of paint and best RPG hybrid combat ever has me elated beyond words!

They didn't, the OG FFVII is available EVERYWHERE and people can play that to experience original story. This game might have "remake" on title but they are not actual remake....

NoU4f3I.png
I really hate that excuse people constantly make. Remakes are made so they can experience memories they have with modern tech, new perspectives, in this case voice acting. If you want a different game make Final Fantasy 17.

I didn't say it can't have new mysteries or new ideas, or layers on the themes present in FF7. Tossing it out and doing something entirely different is a different animal though. I personally don't believe it'll be that but we won't know till we have context. The devs said they can't deviate too far... I believe them.

• Empathy
Reactions: K2D

Go_Ly_Dow

Only thing that sucks is it seems there's no jump for chocobos. I kinda hate that they might be super stationary with their movement coming from XV.
Would be a bit disappointing if there no character or chocobo jumping whilst exploring. If the terrain was flat like a typical FF game I wouldn't care, but it looked very Xenobladey in the trailer in which some terrain jumping is useful.

I'm not expecting jumping now given the prompt is missing.

K2D

Banned
I really hate that excuse people constantly make. Remakes are made so they can experience memories they have with modern tech, new perspectives, in this case voice acting. If you want a different game make Final Fantasy 17.

I didn't say it can't have new mysteries or new ideas, or layers on the themes present in FF7. Tossing it out and doing something entirely different is a different animal though. I personally don't believe it'll be that but we won't know till we have context. The devs said they can't deviate too far... I believe them.

I totally understand where the devs are coming from. This three part game would never have been made if they didn't have the freedom to do something new.

If people aren't on board they should play og, wait for ever crisis, or shut the hell up.

I totally understand where the devs are coming from. This three part game would never have been made if they didn't have the freedom to do something new.

If people aren't on board they should play og, wait for ever crisis, or shut the hell up.
What are you saying here? Why exactly wouldn't the game be made if they weren't allowed to go full blown Kingdom Hearts exactly? Many have clamored for an FF VII remake for over a decade, more even. You think they wouldn't have purchased the game if designed to expand original lore/stay true to the story? Or are you saying something else?

Astral Dog

I like that they are mixing and changing the story,Zack having a bigger role is so cool,plus the can expand on the originsl dialogue,its a full reimagining

I trust them since Remake 1 was mostly solid

Mikey Jr.

I'm gonna call it now. Cait Sith will be the only new party member in rebirth.

Then we are gonna get DLC that introduces vincent same way they introduced yuffie. We wont see vincent at all in rebirth, or if we do, it'll be a super small teaser. Like we see his coffin or sometihng.

And then the third title will introduce cid.

SkylineRKR

Then we are gonna get DLC that introduces vincent same way they introduced yuffie. We wont see vincent at all in rebirth, or if we do, it'll be a super small teaser. Like we see his coffin or sometihng.

We see stuff thats rather far on disc 1 of the OG. If progress doesn't change too much I feel we get the full party in part 2. Its possible they will release an Intermission with Vincent, like they did with Yuffie who was also optional in the original.

I think Part 2 ends where disc 1 of the original game ends. Part 3 can be the whole huge materia, midgar raid, crater stuff. But you would make a good case if part 2 ends in Nibelheim, which is a huge climax also and would actually make part 3 better since it would have the whole ancient city, wutai stuff. And yes, they can sell Vincent as DLC easily.

Last edited:

Lethal01

So a very trust worthy Reeee insider dropped some major leaks on the game

0LYx2p3.png

Meh, the changes in remake also made people say kiss the original goodbye but I saw it as 95% faithful.
So this doesn't really mean anything

Reactions: K2D

Danjin44

Like it or not SE simply didn’t want to make 1:1 remake of the game and chose to go different direction and in my opinion it payed off.

No matter what SE does some group of people gonna get pissed off regardless so they chose to do something interesting.

Go_Ly_Dow

8KjtvY4.jpg
9HcJqwt.jpg

From 2021 motion capture work.

I think Yuffie will join in the 1st qtr, Cid/Cait Sith 2nd and 3rd, and Vincent introduced 4th qtr of the game.

Last edited:

Aranea

Interesting change they made there. I wonder what excuse they will prop up for this change? Or maybe it’s because it’s a trailer?

They did the same on Final Fantasy VII Reunion HD remaster. Must be the infamous Square Enix "ethics department"

Go_Ly_Dow

Still very annoyed about the awful compression of the trailer and also not releasing it in 4k. It's shocking!

The market department for the BDU1 needs a massive slap, as well as all of S-E whilst we're at it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Aww Pity GIF by MOODMAN

Remake pwned and I was worried about the sequel on account of the ghost shit, but this trailer was insanely good. The battle system is clearly the same, and they're repeating key events from FF7... I'm very curious about how they handle Junon. The tease at the end implying that Tifa might be a projection of Jenova is an interesting subversion of the original FF7 narrative that Cloud is completely delusional.

danklord

Gold Member
I wonder if the 2 discs thing will be used to... **ahem** punctuate the narrative. How will it work on digital?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

If some you guys hate story changes in FFVIIR and Rebirth then I play the original game, it available EVERYWHERE.
Yep, to me the changes and alternate timeline make the game more interesting.

You can always grab OG on PC and mod the living hell out of that with new character models, AI upsaled backgrounds, new translation, 60 fps and more.

The way SE has gone around to create the remake trilogy is pretty darn good.

ergem

My only hope is that eventually you will be able to traverse the entire world.
That’s my hope as well for the part 3 on PS6.

Maybe it won’t be too much work considering they have already created most of assets and parts of the world. They just have to connect everything into an open world. That and the power of PS6 will ensure it won’t be an empty open world.

Go_Ly_Dow

That’s my hope as well for the part 3 on PS6.

Maybe it won’t be too much work considering they have already created most of assets and parts of the world. They just have to connect everything into an open world. That and the power of PS6 will ensure it won’t be an empty open world.
For PS6, all 3 games ported over to UE5, Lumen + Nanite, Native 4k, 60fps, graphical improvements, rework the end of each game for a seamless transition into the next.

Release as one package called FF7R Ultimate for $70 and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Last edited:
Top Bottom