• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth New Trailer Revealed, Coming in Early 2024 on 2 Discs | Summer Game Fest 2023

mortal

Gold Member
FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REBIRTH-Summer-Game-Fest-2023-Trailer-1.gif

H4eyizb.gif

H4ey6mu.gif

Last edited:

Larxia

It's cool to finally see more footage from it, but I'm slightly conflicted.
Something about the environments looks off to me. It looks kind of cheap? Artificial? I'm not sure how to describe it.

Like if you compare it to Final Fantasy XV for example.

Sorry for the compression on the FF7 screenshot, it's from the youtube video, but yeah, FF7 in comparison gives me a kind of... unreal fanmade project look, it feels less authentic, there's something strange.
Maybe it's also the fact that the environment, the topography, doesn't look very believable / immersive, you can clearly see that it's designed for a video game level with obvious barriers here and there, and the map looking small in overall scale.

Might be better when we see more of it, and I'm still definitely interested in it, but that's my impressions from what we saw today, something it just off for me.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Yes i did
rtUHy1l.jpg

And if u play the game on the "active mode" ( dont remember de name ) that u asign abilities to buttons in order to make the game more ACTION focused then tactical.

"Turn based combat with real time dodge", what fuck is even this lmof

FF7 Remake is an action RPG with tactical elements, just cause the game has ATB dosnt make it turne based, FF7 remake combat has a lot happenig on the screen with particules, magics, explosions, that some times make the game hard to read.

Its a lot closer to FF16 the only difference is that u can change party member mid fight.
WTF are you going on about? I wasn't even talking to you. Why you replyed "Yes I did"? Are you drunk? lol

And what is this nonsense about tactical elements? There is nothing tactical about them, unless you mean that turn based combats are tactical by its own nature. You freeze the game tu use your ATB gauge, whioch works in the same exact way the turn based games worked.

The game is a "natural" evolution that combines turn based combat with action elements. It has nothing to do with nor resembles XVI.

saintjules

Does anyone know how they'll be handling the leveling? Will you start back on level 1? I can't imagine you'll be able to import saves since many maxed out their characters in FF7R and it would make Rebirth a breeze.
Currently unknown unfortunately. I'd wonder if they do enemy level scaling if that was the case.

Fredrik

The turn based mechanics in the first game is the ability to basically freeze time and issue commands to the characters you have in your party, which then they would perform after you unfreeze, and you could freeze the game how many times you wanted. Didn't you use it?

100% the game will use the same mechanic, though there can be improvements to it.
I mostly mashed 🫣 I’ll go back to it with this in mind once I’m out of TOTK.

K2D

Banned
It's cool to finally see more footage from it, but I'm slightly conflicted.
Something about the environments looks off to me. It looks kind of cheap? Artificial? I'm not sure how to describe it.

Like if you compare it to Final Fantasy XV for example.

Sorry for the compression on the FF7 screenshot, it's from the youtube video, but yeah, FF7 in comparison gives me a kind of... unreal fanmade project look, it feels less authentic, there's something strange.
Maybe it's also the fact that the environment, the topography, doesn't look very believable / immersive, you can clearly see that it's designed for a video game level with obvious barriers here and there, and the map looking small in overall scale.

Might be better when we see more of it, and I'm still definitely interested in it, but that's my impressions from what we saw today, something it just off for me.

Yeah, I'm not so fond of open world FF.

If they can fix Rebirth foliage, great. But that is the least of worries/expectations.

Much time is passed, but I seem to remember four disks.

Unless I'm confusing the game disks with the OST disks.

Maybe, the game itself is 3, FF VIII and IX are 4 discs though.

The game being on 2 discs is a selling point now?
I think it's awesome. In an age where some games are "buy empty disc to download" and something like Alan Wake 2 "digital only", I'm glad to hear it.

Yes..

So what really is being upgraded by using the "free" upgrade? You don't get access to the DLC when you do this, so it's just faster loading/slightly more polished visuals, right? I'd still need to buy/download Yuffie DLC separately or buy a physical copy of Intergrade? Never did play that.

Reactions: K2D
I really would prefer if these games were a turn based proper RPG, not another pseudo action game. It isn't as blatant as FF16, which is a straight up action game, but come on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Lethal01

Yes i did
rtUHy1l.jpg

And if u play the game on the "active mode" ( dont remember de name ) that u asign abilities to buttons in order to make the game more ACTION focused then tactical.

"Turn based combat with real time dodge", what fuck is even this lmof

FF7 Remake is an action RPG with tactical elements, just cause the game has ATB dosnt make it turne based, FF7 remake combat has a lot happenig on the screen with particules, magics, explosions, that some times make the game hard to read.

Its a lot closer to FF16 the only difference is that u can change party member mid fight.

Another huge difference is the global ATB cooldown.
As well as the controls being very different..

I can agree it's closer to 16 than a turn based games, but they are still radically different.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Trying to get make some sense of what is said in the trailer, shit, I'm getting the feeling this will be even more convoluted than Part 1. But I'm in. Part 1 was my favourite ARPG on previous gen.

Confused Little Girl GIF

Last edited:
It should be for physical users. It means is not half on disk and another half digital download like some other games do.
I mean one of the discs might just be an install disc, just like the PS4 version of Remake. I don’t really see the difference.

I am HOPING, though, that it’s utilized in a nostalgic way like in the PS1/PS2/GameCube/360 days, and the game asks you to insert disc 2 to continue the story. That would be awesome! Plus, I don’t like the fact that I have to wait for an install for a game I physically own.

Top Bottom