• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Freeman76

I like that Red XIII rides a chocobo too.

I think I'm going to skip on the entirety of side quests. I'm 4 hours in and I just want to see the set pieces and story between the main characters. I don't want to activate towers and things like that. It's just one tutorial after the next so far. Forcing myself to keep playing at this point. 🤷
I feel the same. The game is almost obnoxious when it comes to tutorials and slowing you down. Too many sections where you are limping, crouching, cant run, cant climb something, something else to learn, way too much shit to remember in the first 5 hours. HOWEVER, the game is clearly special and eventually all these things will become second nature so I can live with it, it's 100 hours of enjoyment coming once this shit is out of the way. The only thing I cant forgive is the graphics in performance mode, they are fucking shockingly bad. Square Enix can fuck off with their obsession with Sony, if this released on PC day one it would be a much better experience for the players. Instead we get this gimped release that looks amazing as a slideshow, but if you want smooth performance its like playing a Switch game.

Just played for a few hours, and wow. Kalm was a great intro, and I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in this game already. Exploring the grasslands, testing out Red (easily the most fun party member to date), and figuring out all the synergy abilities. The only thing I haven't liked as much as Remake is the menu UI. It seems a bit cluttered and hard to read in comparison. But a small gripe considering how absolutely stacked the game is.

Square didn't skimp on the jiggle 👌

oDWCUGh.gif

Starting to get a little tutorial-weary as I finally get in to the open world and I completely missed how to change party members. Between the 17 thousand menu options I can’t seem to find it lol.

There’s so many options and things to remember, feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Game is clearly excellent but just needs to give me some room to breathe for a minute.

So honest question but do JRPG fans not normally play open world games? I've seen a lot of talk about how amazing the world in this game is but it's basic as hell compared to almost anything I've played in the past decade. The best in the business trick you into thinking the world is bigger than it is as you are forced to explore but here you are just following map markers.

To directly compare it to another JRPG let's take Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (which I don't think has some super advanced open world just way better than this in the same genre and on way weaker hardware). XC3 felt way more of an adventure (despite probably having a much smaller play area) as the game felt like it was designed and hand crafted around having an open world that was interesting and challenging to explore with a good use of vertical space and higher level stuff creating natural barriers to exploration while here it almost feels AI generated or something as stuff is just dropped in wherever.

Moving across the world is also so janky like some AA eurotrash game as there are no proper animations so your characters and camera just kind of bounce and jerk up and down awkwardly.

It feels like Dragon Age Inquisition or something where it's "open world" but not really as you are in wide zones linked by linear sections. Even the modern Ubisoft games have more going on in the open world with stuff like hunting and fishing as well as random encounters. I guess if people love an IP or setting they will be way more forgiving or design choices but what here is better than the typical Ubisoft busywork simulator? It even has towers to climb and unlock..

People also talking about how Kalm is amazing and feels so full of life and I'm here thinking I'm playing the wrong game as you can get across the city in 30 seconds - it's tiny and there's nothing to do.

It's a really fun game, the story is presented really well and has already given me goosebumps a fair few times, the music is absolute fire, the combat is perfect as a modernised ATB. Rebirth does have a lot going for it but the open world is not one of those things. I'm looking forward to completing Rebirth but some of the hyperbolic comments about what is really dated game design are crazy to me.

Dynasty8

Starting to get a little tutorial-weary as I finally get in to the open world and I completely missed how to change party members. Between the 17 thousand menu options I can’t seem to find it lol.

There’s so many options and things to remember, feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. Game is clearly excellent but just needs to give me some room to breathe for a minute.

Yeah, lots of tutorials. I hate them in general, but it looks like they're finally slowing down for me.

To change party members, just go to the menu and it should be under "combat something". You can also create 3 custom party loadouts to quickly switch party members on the fly. Just press X and press L1 during exploration.

Nickolaidas

i dont know if anyone posted this yet:

FFVII Rebirth collaboration with Porsche lol

Came close to cringing when he started talking about global audience and needing to evolve with modern times and ideals, but I trust a JRPG to keep it toned down enough to make it appeal to everyone without feeling like pandering.

What? No, I have no idea what is this Forspoken nonsense you are talking about.

ebevan91

For the first time ever I am choosing graphics/30fps over performance/60fps. Jesus... the game looks like a Switch title in performance mode. Other than that I am absolutely loving it so far. Way better than XVI...and Queen's Blood is amazing.

Never have I wanted a game to release on PC at launch like this game. Would have solved my only complaint.

I sit far back enough from my TV (across the bedroom on my bed) that I don't really notice the blurriness until I get up and walk past the TV to leave the room.

Tomeru

So I don't have it in me to go in 100% gsmeplsy wise. Any suggestions regarding combat thst could mske my like more convenient?

Okay, so reading some news and people says the game has constant crash problems on PS5?
Is this game not properly optimised? Did DF said anything about this?

Dynasty8

Ok stupid question... I playes the most recent FF and was pretty dissapointed.. how does this differ?

One of those games is garbage with major issues and this game is amazing with some minor issues. Make sure you play on "Dynamic" difficulty (it's not "hard mode").

Dynasty8

I really hope that once Part 3 is released, they will release a 'complete' version which will be the whole content in ONE game - no 3 games, no DLC missions - ALL the content playable from start to finish encompassing all three games in ONE game.

Was thinking the same thing earlier. Would be cool if they went in there after all 3 have been released and updated the games to allow for certain things (carrying over of levels, materia, weapons, etc) while reducing the tutorials significantly. They'd have to update some of the cutscenes as well to make it seem like one giant seamless title. It would be one massive 500gb title :messenger_grimmacing_

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Okay, so reading some news and people says the game has constant crash problems on PS5?
Is this game not properly optimised? Did DF said anything about this?

No crashes here so far, haven't had any over-heating issues like I've read some folks earlier in the thread have.

SkylineRKR

Really I hate the new weapon upgrade system with the books and and also the fact the summons that carry over from the first game can't be upgraded like the new ones...

So effectively after like the second zone you won't be using ifirit ever again for example. I will say that the second skill you get with the Enemy Skill materia that it gave me is insanely broken, keep it on cloud for that reason.

Yeah these 2 are my biggest gripes as well. There is little reason not to use Titan and Phoenix in the first 2 zones, in fact there isn't at all.

The new weapon system sucks. The old one was fine, each weapon changed the general build of your character. This new one, with a perk you can equip.. and I don't like the Folio board too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah these 2 are my biggest gripes as well. There is little reason not to use Titan and Phoenix in the first 2 zones, in fact there isn't at all.

The new weapon system sucks. The old one was fine, each weapon changed the general build of your character. This new one, with a perk you can equip.. and I don't like the Folio board too.

It's hard to describe just why the folio board is so bad, i think its because its over designed for what it is, and you gain the skill point so slowly later on to even unlock a single node... other than is just is worse than the original. I'm also unsure if the weapon skill learning accelerated into a single fight to unlock is good or bad. Like I guess with the old system you hated having to grind out a skill you didn't want to use because it was shit, but on the other hand not having some new system to do this versus just accelerating the old one by x25 is just lazy.

Like the world and maps are great, but I just feel the underlying systems are worse somehow, they should have kept the old one and expanded on it versus doing something new and throwing the old stuff out...

Also why didn't they explain everyone losing their equipment? Like just a throw away like about when they came out of the dark cloud at the end of remake they just had what they had equipped on them at the time or something. That would sort of make sense... more so than never mentioning the fact my God damn perfect gear is just gone.

Last edited:

Flabagast

So honest question but do JRPG fans not normally play open world games? I've seen a lot of talk about how amazing the world in this game is but it's basic as hell compared to almost anything I've played in the past decade. The best in the business trick you into thinking the world is bigger than it is as you are forced to explore but here you are just following map markers.

To directly compare it to another JRPG let's take Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (which I don't think has some super advanced open world just way better than this in the same genre and on way weaker hardware). XC3 felt way more of an adventure (despite probably having a much smaller play area) as the game felt like it was designed and hand crafted around having an open world that was interesting and challenging to explore with a good use of vertical space and higher level stuff creating natural barriers to exploration while here it almost feels AI generated or something as stuff is just dropped in wherever.

Moving across the world is also so janky like some AA eurotrash game as there are no proper animations so your characters and camera just kind of bounce and jerk up and down awkwardly.

It feels like Dragon Age Inquisition or something where it's "open world" but not really as you are in wide zones linked by linear sections. Even the modern Ubisoft games have more going on in the open world with stuff like hunting and fishing as well as random encounters. I guess if people love an IP or setting they will be way more forgiving or design choices but what here is better than the typical Ubisoft busywork simulator? It even has towers to climb and unlock..

People also talking about how Kalm is amazing and feels so full of life and I'm here thinking I'm playing the wrong game as you can get across the city in 30 seconds - it's tiny and there's nothing to do.

It's a really fun game, the story is presented really well and has already given me goosebumps a fair few times, the music is absolute fire, the combat is perfect as a modernised ATB. Rebirth does have a lot going for it but the open world is not one of those things. I'm looking forward to completing Rebirth but some of the hyperbolic comments about what is really dated game design are crazy to me.
100% agree.

We are just in standard honey moon period where people think everything in the game is awesome.

There is a lot to like about the game but indeed the open worlds phases feel really rote and like it was designed 10y ago, I don’t really know how you can say otherwise

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Question for those who are playing:

Do you get a lot of scenes between cast members who do not interact with Cloud? I briefly saw a scene which was only Tifa, Aerith and Red XIII and I really love it when the cast interacts without Cloud being there, because it gives a sense of agency to the characters and deepens their connections with each other, not just the cast with the player. Making it feel like an anime or something. There were such scenes with Aerith and Tifa's landlady and the like - I really appreciate those scenes.

Does Rebirth have a lot of such scenes?

Yeah. I do like that there's a materia ish slot to equip chosen abilities - I don't like the new weapon upgrade system though. I also don't like how everyone gets all these non magic elemental abilities. Don't like that at all in fact.

Ok I’m done with this game after 7 hours.

They made Final Fantasy-branded ubigame for the first time in the series.
Colorful, boring and dreadful. It’s the Square’s final nail in the coffin for me. Last bastion of quality has fallen.
You know pretty much all that stuff is optional right?

Vblad88

You know pretty much all that stuff is optional right?
That is not the point. Final Fantasy was all about uniqueness until now, gameplay-wise, that would rather take different approaches with formula, not take the 1000 times digested and vomited ones to put a FF sticker on it.

And they did it for the second time straight…

Those side quests I’ve seen before a gazillion of times. That is not Final Fantasy I wish to pursue.

Amount of laziness visible on every corner is unbearable.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel like they ripped Square-Enix off paying only 70 bucks for this? I'm pretty dumbfounded atm, this and BG3 are the new standard for RPGs.

Which way, western man?
Game is anything but lazy. The amount of player freedom and agency is nuts. Depth of RPG elements is wild. Story (so far) is perfect, variety and NPC engagement is top tier. World is full of things to do and explore.

My only gripe is that some areas can look bland due to lightning but that is such a minor thing when you consider what's on offer here.

If you like RPGs this is a must buy

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game is anything but lazy. The amount of player freedom and agency is nuts. Depth of RPG elements is wild. Story (so far) is perfect, variety and NPC engagement is top tier. World is full of things to do and explore.
Can I get a in depth explanation Professor? I would like to know the details of player freedom, RPG elements and what things you can do in the overworld(rather linearly connected large zones).

Yeah, lots of tutorials. I hate them in general, but it looks like they're finally slowing down for me.

To change party members, just go to the menu and it should be under "combat something". You can also create 3 custom party loadouts to quickly switch party members on the fly. Just press X and press L1 during exploration.

You’d think that would be under “Party” in the main menu, but I guess that’s just to look at your party. Come on, play testers…

Can I get a in depth explanation Professor? I would like to know the details of player freedom, RPG elements and what things you can do in the overworld(rather linearly connected large zones).
Sure I'll give it a shot but this might be a long post.

Player Freedom: Sprawling open world with tons to do ( more on this later) and no set order to do them in or you can completely ignore it if you want. The free climbing and jumping and swimming make it so if you have the thought hmm can I get there chances are you can, and it rewards you for doing so.

RPG Elements: Has the foundation of a FF game with standard leveling, then has the tried and true Materia system form FF7 OG, then adds a synergy system that's a combo of Chrono Trigger and FF10s sphere grid system, also has the weapon mastery system similar to FF9 and to top it all off has a party level system that ties it all together and even influences story based content with how you synergies with characters in your party. Combat is fluid, engaging, a challenge, has variety and above all is fun.

Things to do: Countless, play cards (build you own deck, buy boosters, win cards, craft, fight challenging foes, seek out new NPCs and delve into thier backstreet through side quests ( my fave), help out the moogles, find life springs to learn more about the region, do the battle challenges in "VR for Chad to get new meteria or the challenging sommons, captur Chocobos, help the ranches. I could go on quite a bit but I hope you get the idea there is a lot ( for ref I have 100% the Grasslands and am about 50% through Junion (about 20 hours or so).

Just exploring an fully realized FF7 world and finding the Easter eggs is fun as well.

Yeah he seems to be describing a different game as the game is not deep at all (or if it is it doesn't matter as I'm killing every boss first time).

What player agency? What does that mean here? There is no sandbox or simulation here - no way to get past obstacles other than the way they want you to

What NPC engagement? They are like puppets.

The open world is a Ubisoft clone. Literal tick boxes to complete, map icons and towers etc.

The game is really great despite all that but there are some wild takes in here.

Yeah he seems to be describing a different game as the game is not deep at all (or if it is it doesn't matter as I'm killing every boss first time).

What player agency? What does that mean here? There is no sandbox or simulation here - no way to get past obstacles other than the way they want you to

What NPC engagement? They are like puppets.

The open world is a Ubisoft clone. Literal tick boxes to complete, map icons and towers etc.

The game is really great despite all that but there are some wild takes in here.
Are you just mad at video games? What's on offer here is insane, sorry it's not your cup of tea but the vast majority who have played it agree it's a masterpiece

Are you just mad at video games? What's on offer here is insane, sorry it's not your cup of tea but the vast majority who have played it agree it's a masterpiece
Bro I'm sorry but you are crazy.

You can love the game but unless this is the first open world game you've ever played what you are describing is just really basic stuff.

If you can outline something revolutionary this game does or even something evolutionary that takes it above similar games but anime boobs and giant swords don't count.

Top Bottom