• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

stn

Does the game recap part 1? I beat part 1 the year it released and forgot some of the story (I also never played the OG FF7 so this is all new for me).

Bro I'm sorry but you are crazy.

You can love the game but unless this is the first open world game you've ever played what you are describing is just really basic stuff.

If you can outline something revolutionary this game does or even something evolutionary that takes it above similar games but anime boobs and giant swords don't count.
It's the sum of its parts that make it great.

You can't say "welp this game is bad because it has towers that you need to activate akin to other open world games"

Does it include some aspects of other open world games? Yes

Does that define it? No

It's the sum of its parts that make it great.

You can't say "welp this game is bad because it has towers that you need to activate akin to other open world games"

Does it include some aspects of other open world games? Yes

Does that define it? No
I never said it was bad. I think it's great I've said that in almost every comment I've made but pretending the open world is anything but competent is very disingenuous imo yet people are in here talking like they're never seen anything like this game before.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The game does have a blend of fun combat, good narrative, likeable characters and good music. The open world itself is nothing special, BUT coming from FFVII Remake and even XVI, its worlds better than those. In all fairness no one probably expected this scale coming from Remake.

If you review its open world on its own merits, then its nothing special. The explorable zones aren't extremely big, and they are gated by story progression. You have your usual Chocobo quest since chocobo's convienently don't cross regions with you. So in Junon you find another one who can scale walls, etc. 4 combat challenges with beefed up enemies, 5 ish towers, a moogle mushroom, 3 Summon crystals that weaken the VR fight with each you collect (so if you wait and do those first you have an easy mode fight) and buff the materia itself. And a few NPC quests which admittedly are a huge step up from Remake so far.

The gameplay isn't great. You can't jump and you have to rely on the game to do these mechanics for you. Navigating the world and towns doesn't feel exactly engaging to me, but rather dated in fact. When you go into the water it feels disjointed and slow.

The weapon system is a huge downgrade from Remake. And the Folio is whatever, I just take what I can get. It feels very shallow to me. Remake was actually pretty good. I would spec Hardedge on pure physical, and Mithril Saber on pure magic and switch depending on situation. Or I would make Cloud a tank with Buster Sword and its defensive boosts. In Rebirth this doesn't really matter, and you have so much at your disposal. Every character has attacks with all elements, so a proper loadout isn't really needed. Besides, the game is far too easy. And that is without the usage of summons and synergy specials, I barely use those because I don't feel like I need to, or the fight is long over anyway.

I'd say that, bar the aerial combat (which is still shit, but at least controllable now), I prefer the combat of Remake. I was tinkering in that game more, trying different setups and builds. There was less things to pull off but I felt it complimented very well and I felt the difficulty was just right (it was imo tougher than the OG, with more need of correct loadouts). I barely defend in Rebirth, but in Remake it was my go to. I liked the weapon skill tree system more too. And I guess I prefer getting the enemy skills from actual fights.

I never said it was bad. I think it's great I've said that in almost every comment I've made but pretending the open world is any but competent is very disingenuous imo yet people are in here talking like they're never seen anything like this game before.
I can't speak for others and I haven't read through the entire thread.

I believe you are selling it short by saying its "lazy" or "anything but <more> than competent"

For what I have seen is that it's the whole package that people are praising.

The gameplay isn't great. You can't jump and you have to rely on the game to do these mechanics for you. Navigating the world and towns doesn't feel exactly engaging to me, but rather dated in fact. When you go into the water it feels disjointed and slow.
Combat: try pressing O the immediately press Square rapidly to shoot blade beams or Hold it to dash to the enemy in air from which you can combos and stay mid air indefinitely.

Water: you can use and call your chocobo in water and they swim really fast. Also you can interact with damn near everything off the back of a chocobo, which make exploring more seamless.

fallingdove

What a game so far!!? This has to be one of the prettiest open world games I’ve played. The combat is great, I’m enjoying the expanded systems, side quest management is an improvement…

SF6, FFXVI, Helldivers, Tekken 8, Granblue Fantasy, P3: Reloaded, FF7 Rebirth, Unicorn Overlord, Dragon’s Dogma 2, and No Rest for the Wicked in roughly 12 months — wild.

Last edited:
The game does have a blend of fun combat, good narrative, likeable characters and good music. The open world itself is nothing special, BUT coming from FFVII Remake and even XVI, its worlds better than those. In all fairness no one probably expected this scale coming from Remake.

If you review its open world on its own merits, then its nothing special. The explorable zones aren't extremely big, and they are gated by story progression. You have your usual Chocobo quest since chocobo's convienently don't cross regions with you. So in Junon you find another one who can scale walls, etc. 4 combat challenges with beefed up enemies, 5 ish towers, a moogle mushroom, 3 Summon crystals that weaken the VR fight with each you collect (so if you wait and do those first you have an easy mode fight) and buff the materia itself. And a few NPC quests which admittedly are a huge step up from Remake so far.

The weapon system is a huge downgrade from Remake. And the Folio is whatever, I just take what I can get. It feels very shallow to me. Remake was actually pretty good. I would spec Hardedge on pure physical, and Mithril Saber on pure magic and switch depending on situation. Or I would make Cloud a tank with Buster Sword and its defensive boosts. In Rebirth this doesn't really matter, and you have so much at your disposal. Every character has attacks with all elements, so a proper loadout isn't really needed. Besides, the game is far too easy. And that is without the usage of summons and synergy specials, I barely use those because I don't feel like I need to, or the fight is long over anyway.

I'd say that, bar the aerial combat (which is still shit, but at least controllable now), I prefer the combat of Remake. I was tinkering in that game more, trying different setups and builds. There was less things to pull off but I felt it complimented very well and I felt the difficulty was just right (it was imo tougher than the OG, with more need of correct loadouts). I barely defend in Rebirth, but in Remake it was my go to. I liked the weapon skill tree system more too. And I guess I prefer getting the enemy skills from actual fights.
I definitely agree that some of those complaints are fair. Free elemental attacks for all and not having the option to really specialize the weapons both suck big time. Not sure why they stepped back in this regard. Agree that so far it seems easier than Remake, which was already easy. Otherwise though, enjoying the experience.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SF6, FFXVI, Helldivers, Tekken 8, Granblue Fantasy, P3: Reloaded, FF7 Rebirth, Unicorn Overlord, Dragon’s Dogma 2, and No Rest for the Wicked in roughly 12 months — wild.
money-wallet.gif

Hugare

I'm baffled by those complaining about the graphics

The use of primitive shaders to add geometry to the environment is awesome. So much detail everywhere. Really looks next gen in terms of geometry detail.

The lighting also looks great most of the time. Not as good as the top tier open world games during gameplay (Horizon or RDR 2), but during cutscenes it's beautiful. This team knows how to use lighting in cinematics like no other team on the industry. The quality of ingame cutscenes is unmatched.

The lack of a better AO sollution is sorrely missed, tho. But overall, it looks so much better than XVI imo. And I think its due to the art choices. The world and characters has so much more personality than XVI.

And I think that's Rebirth's secret sauce: personality. There's soul here, something that I havent found in XV, XVI or any other numbered FF game since Remake, and XII before it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Question since I never played original. Answer without spoiler.
Do you really make choice with dating or it doesn’t matter?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I started playing last night. The game recognized my saves for the bonus items (Intergrade data, demo data, etc.), but I see no option to continue my save from the Nibelheim demo. I beat the demo, got an A on Tifa's Theme, and picked up a lot of items. Does anyone know how to get my demo save over to the main game?

I wonder if it's because I didn't save/play in Junon since that's not supposed to carry over anyway.

Last edited:

TheZink

What combat mode are you all using?

I’ve tried both on the demo but I have no idea what I’m doing. I haven’t played a FF in 15+ years. 🫠

Luipadre

Gold Member
The more i play, the more i like it. Just 100%ed grasslands after 12 hours and barely did any main mission. PS says im at 13% so yeah, this will be a long one :D

The music in this game is so good and its constantly playing and it feels like its always different. How long is the OST for this one? 10 hours? :D

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm baffled by those complaining about the graphics

The use of primitive shaders to add geometry to the environment is awesome. So much detail everywhere. Really looks next gen in terms of geometry detail.

The lighting also looks great most of the time. Not as good as the top tier open world games during gameplay (Horizon or RDR 2), but during cutscenes it's beautiful. This team knows how to use lighting in cinematics like no other team on the industry. The quality of ingame cutscenes is unmatched.

The lack of a better AO sollution is sorrely missed, tho. But overall, it looks so much better than XVI imo. And I think its due to the art choices. The world and characters has so much more personality than XVI.

And I think that's Rebirth's secret sauce: personality. There's soul here, something that I havent found in XV, XVI or any other numbered FF game since Remake, and XII before it.
Looks better than rdr2 to me. Not better than forbidden west.
It has that hand made feel to everything.
The amount of people and stuff to see in Kalm and grasslands is staggering.

Actually, I am happy they made it this way. 1000% switch to ue5 and nanite assets would explode the development and there would be much less game than now and it would take them 3 more years. As of now it took them almost 4 years. Still a lot for a sequel
And I already took good 50 screenshots :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

SkylineRKR

So I kind of got the hang of Queens Blood. Its good once you understand it.

Its basically triple triad x chess x tetris.

At first I just focused on numbers, but the key is creating more pawns on empty tiles by looking at the tetris layout of your card. Once you have tiles with 3 pawns on them, you can bring out the big guns.

I usually start with something like security officer in the middle, this opens up pawns around you (2 tiles with 2 pawns, enabling level 2 cards on them). And then in front of it archdragon or something. This is how I start a lot of my games. To my surprise I beat cameron on my first try, though I still lose a lot as well. Because I don't really have a sound strategy yet.

Krathoon

I liked how they introduced chocobo riding. They get right into it at the begining.

I don't quite get how wrangling one chocbo gives everyone a chocobo. That didn't make much sense.

Markio128

Gold Member
So I was happily wandering through the grasslands, completing quests and such, then decided to make for the mines.

WTF is that snake!? Am I supposed to beat it to progress? If so, I could be in trouble here.

Freeman76

So at first the open world bits felt way too generic, and I wasnt sure I had it in me to play another open world game. Just reached Junon and have to say I was so wrong, this game is immense! My opinion hasnt changed on the graphics, however inside areas do look much better, its just the open world that has the vaseline effect. Regardless, what an amazing game, and its doing the original justice in every way possible.

Boneless

Without giving me spoilers, can someone tell me whether all bosses, best items etc can be had before beating the game? I fully intend on doing everything on my first play before the final boss.

Krathoon

AH. It looks like you have to fight the snake this time.

They did say something about running away from the snake with the chocobo, so it may still be optional.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
10 Hours in. Is it just me, or have the devs clearly taken inspiration from Xenoblade Chronicles? It's eerily similar to 3 in terms of how the open world feels. Not complaining, its amazing stuff. Me likey.
Especially in Future Redeemed DLC, it has lot of systems that rewards your exploration.

The cutscenes in this game are legitness! I feel like this might be a pretty average RPG if you took away the FF7 stuff from it, but they got a lot the FF7 stuff right, the music, the characters etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Question.
I explored bunch of grasslands and only then went to the conspirator and he had nothing to say. only "uga buga bad monsters" and quest completed. What quest :p

This game is just awesome, I'm really loving the side quests, the world is a joy to explore and full of charm. I've just been doing everything in the grasslands, nearly completed the area now and haven't even moved the main story on yet lol it's going to take me a long time to beat this game.

It's amazing to see the world of FFVII reimagined on modern hardware, it's better than I ever hoped it would be.

Kazdane

Gold Member
I've just finished clearing up the optional content in the second zone (Junon area) and so far the game is a blast, but it feels like the combat is rather easy once you adjust and start using all the synergy attacks, even in adaptive. So far I'm mostly using Cloud, Red XIII and Aerith, although pretty much every combination feels good to play. It mostly boils down to finding out when to use synergy attacks/defense.

Last edited:
I've just finished clearing up the optional content in the second zone (Junon area) and so far the game is a blast, but it feels like the combat is rather easy once you adjust and start using all the synergy attacks, even in adaptive. So far I'm mostly using Cloud, Red XIII and Aerith, although pretty much every combination feels good to play. It mostly boils down to finding out when to use synergy attacks/defense.
Yep. Synergy just makes it even easier. I just try not to even use it mostly.

Luipadre

Gold Member
People said 2024 will be a weak year... yeah right. Jokes on you, its only the beginning of march and we already had so many great games this year. DD2 comes out in less than 3 weeks too, another huge ass game. I wont even finish this game by that time, so i have to delay that playthrough

Top Bottom