• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Releases March 3, 2020 - New Trailer

Ugh, not liking their portrayal of Jessie, trying to make her too much like Biggs or like some adrenaline junkie. More so, I'm a bit confused by that Aeris and Cloud scene and saving her. Is it during the slums part of the story?

Last edited:

fallingdove

And now the wait really begins. 😛

I am going to try and hold out for the inevitable FF7: R Complete coming in 2023.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

There is no mention in the office press release that what's releasing on march 3rd is simply part one. I have a feeling plans changed and we are getting the entire game, albeit... a more streamlined and cut version of it

base

Banned
It’s probably a good thing the full world map exploration via the Highwind will be saved for PS5. They better make that happen, and it better be amazing. I’m imaging Just Cause open word tech with the highwind fully controllable and no load times. And Knights of the Round better be wayyyyyyy off and hard as hell to get to.
Hope they won't make it a tunnel game like FFXIII. That's not an option for me!

johntown

Banned
One concern I have about this game is being episodic. Although they claim it will be a full game I don't see how a $60 price tag is justified unless they add a lot of new content which I guess is a possibility.

Since I cannot be sure that means I have to wait for reviews on this one.

fallingdove

There is no mention in the office press release that what's releasing on march 3rd is simply part one. I have a feeling plans changed and we are getting the entire game, albeit... a more streamlined and cut version of it

Streamlined/cut are terms that scare me a little bit especially when you consider how poor a storyteller Nomura is. I don’t trust that he has the ability to abbreviate such a complex world/story.

ExpandKong

Banned

Not gonna happen. Even SE isn't dumb enough to do something like this.

"Here's the FF7 remake you've all been asking for for literally decades now. You'll notice there's no Fort Condor, Gongaga, or Kalm, the Huge Materia arc has been removed completely, there are no playable minigames in the Gold Saucer, all the underwater bits are gone, the world map is just a menu like FFX, Chocobo breeding is out, and we've reduced Tifa's bust by 45%."

D.Final

Banned
Don't do this man... my heart is racing too fast already...

I also think there will be a PSN demo.

It would be epic :messenger_sunglasses:

bDcLQ8m.gif

stickkidsam

Yo anyone else notice the "Totally not dementors" are circling Sepiroth in that big beautiful wallpaper?

Further confirmation of a connection to the lifestream???

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why does this game seem to play like FFXV...one of the worse games in all of Final Fantasy?

People who love Final Fantasy VII also love turn based ATB bar combat.

At least the story will be there...but, I'd much rather have it stay as true to the original as possible, just overhaul the graphics and cinematics.

Paulxo87

Not gonna happen. Even SE isn't dumb enough to do something like this.

"Here's the FF7 remake you've all been asking for for literally decades now. You'll notice there's no Fort Condor, Gongaga, or Kalm, the Huge Materia arc has been removed completely, there are no playable minigames in the Gold Saucer, all the underwater bits are gone, the world map is just a menu like FFX, Chocobo breeding is out, and we've reduced Tifa's bust by 45%."

I didn't mean it would be THAT CUT.

Nymphae

Banned
Why does this game seem to play like FFXV...one of the worse games in all of Final Fantasy?

At least the story will be there...but, I'd much rather have it stay as true to the original as possible, just overhaul the graphics and cinematics.

I love FF7, and welcome a new take on the world. I thought the combat was one of the more enjoyable things about 15, warts and all, and I look forward to seeing an evolved version of that for this game.

If I want the old ATB system, I can play that.

Arkage

Banned
Ugh, not liking their portrayal of Jessie, trying to make her too much like Biggs or like some adrenaline junkie. More so, I'm a bit confused by that Aeris and Cloud scene and saving her. Is it during the slums part of the story?

Huh? There's a single line of dialogue of her asking "You think he's a keeper?" How are you getting this?

Also, I think the ghosty things are related to the failed Sephiroth/Jenova clones. Might be trying to make them creepier/more supernatural, as I imagine they're likely going to turn up the level of horror around Jenova's powers.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I fell in love with FFVII for the story and world first, and the gameplay was a fun second. Ever since I saw Advent Children I have wanted to play an Action based remake of the game in vivid detail.

Animagic

Banned
This release will end when you leave midgar, right? So that leaves 90% of the game left to make...

This episodic remake will never be completed.

base

Banned

We are dinosaurs it seems my friend. Now everything has to be simple, one button based action and with easy level.

Our generation couldn't beat Contra, now people have problem finishing Assassins Creed

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
The battle system in VII was boring as hell and easily the worst part about the game. If they were to include the same battle system it would just be some nostalgia wank for 30-something gamers, and that’s lame.

Glad to see the “pick attack from a menu while your guys stand there in a line” combat has been abandoned.

Huh? There's a single line of dialogue of her asking "You think he's a keeper?" How are you getting this?

Because I remember the dialogue from FFVII on PS1 and I'm basing it on what dialogue we've gotten so far. She was always more reserved, from the first scene in the game with her. While Biggs is the one approaching and talking to Cloud, she's doing the tech work and only speaking this to Biggs when Cloud being Soldier is brought up: "... Soldier? They're the enemy....?" "Why would a Soldier join Avalanche?". At that point Cloud also just brushes them off and says this is just a one-time thing and doesn't bother with names. Avalanche is supposed to be the amateur eco-terrorists, while Cloud is the professional having to deal with them as amateurs. That's without considering the later interactions, that hammers the context of how Jessie is as a character. Nor does it make sense in the context of what Cloud is actually there as.

FFVII has tons of subtle character portrayals and that's why tons of dialogue that deviate from the character portrayals is worrying. Now, I might be over exaggerating (she might be different in the Japanese script) and I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I'm always vary when Nomura is doing a remake.

ExpandKong

Banned
This release will end when you leave midgar, right? So that leaves 90% of the game left to make...

This episodic remake will never be completed.

Why do people keep saying this? Did I miss something?

The original game already had a nice break point in the disc 1 - 2 transition, wouldn’t it make sense for the remake episodes to be split that way?

shark sandwich

We are dinosaurs it seems my friend. Now everything has to be simple, one button based action and with easy level.

Our generation couldn't beat Contra, now people have problem finishing Assassins Creed
Oh Jesus. FF VII has the most brain dead simple and straightforward combat there is. Get off your high horse.

Animagic

Banned
Why do people keep saying this? Did I miss something?

The original game already had a nice break point in the disc 1 - 2 transition, wouldn’t it make sense for the remake episodes to be split that way?
I would love that, but I guess we will find out tonight.

stickkidsam

05d.jpg

The only way someone wouldn't be able to beat Assassin's Creed is if they just don't have the time to slog through it or alternatively, they have no thumbs.

Lastyou1

Banned
This is final fantasy versus XIII but with FF7 story and characters.

Between Avengers and FF7 remake, Square is the only reason I am following e3

ExpandKong

Banned
I would love that, but I guess we will find out tonight.

Oh shit that's right. Yeah I'd like to think they'll go into more detail about how this is gonna go down now that they've given it a release date.

Hmm...if they wanna really tweak that nostalgia bone, they'll do it in three episodes to tie it back to the original game's three discs (plus the thought of SE trying to make something with more than three episodes sounds like a disaster to me). But disc 3 of the original game is little more than the final dungeon and whatever sidequests you might not have finished. So those break points would have to be adjusted I guess.

It's just unbalanced. Have you beaten Ruby and Emerald?

Don't most of the strategies for those two fights involve more cheesing the system than actual skill and strategy? Vaguely remember having to leave two party members dead to have a chance against Ruby Weapon.

man i remember the good old days when you fought in FFVII like a real man by leaving the cursor on the word "Fight" and hitting "X", nowadays people only have to hold down "X". sad, really...

It's even worse than that; back in my time we had to wait for a bar to fill up before we could press X. Kids these days are just pressing X whenever they goddamn well please. Fucking travesty.

Arkage

Banned
Because I remember the dialogue from FFVII on PS1 and I'm basing it on what dialogue we've gotten so far. She was always more reserved, from the first scene in the game with her. While Biggs is the one approaching and talking to Cloud, she's doing the tech work and only speaking this to Biggs when Cloud being Soldier is brought up: "... Soldier? They're the enemy....?" "Why would a Soldier join Avalanche?". At that point Cloud also just brushes them off and says this is just a one-time thing and doesn't bother with names. Avalanche is supposed to be the amateur eco-terrorists, while Cloud is the professional having to deal with them as amateurs. That's without considering the later interactions, that hammers the context of how Jessie is as a character. Nor does it make sense in the context of what Cloud is actually there as.

FFVII has tons of subtle character portrayals and that's why tons of dialogue that deviate from the character portrayals is worrying. Now, I might be over exaggerating (she might be different in the Japanese script) and I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I'm always vary when Nomura is doing a remake.

After watching the trailers the only dialogue of her I can find is her saying "You think he's a keeper?" and "Have fun!" with a peace sign. I think that'll contrast well with the serious tones of the others especially Barrett. Also she kicked ass in the original game within the first minute as our introduction to her, so I don't think she's as introverted/noncombative as you remember. And she the one who basically asks Cloud out on a date I think?

9jExOvR.png

Last edited:

base

Banned
Oh shit that's right. Yeah I'd like to think they'll go into more detail about how this is gonna go down now that they've given it a release date.

Hmm...if they wanna really tweak that nostalgia bone, they'll do it in three episodes to tie it back to the original game's three discs (plus the thought of SE trying to make something with more than three episodes sounds like a disaster to me). But disc 3 of the original game is little more than the final dungeon and whatever sidequests you might not have finished. So those break points would have to be adjusted I guess.

Don't most of the strategies for those two fights involve more cheesing the system than actual skill and strategy? Vaguely remember having to leave two party members dead to have a chance against Ruby Weapon.

It's even worse than that; back in my time we had to wait for a bar to fill up before we could press X. Kids these days are just pressing X whenever they goddamn well please. Fucking travesty.
Fighting both requires mostly strategy my dear friend....

Animagic

Banned

All they’ve shown in trailers so far is the opening hour or two of the original game. We should know pretty fast into the show how much we are getting here.. I’m hyped either way, by the heavens this thing is real!

Last edited:

danielberg

Neophyte

Nope unless you suck and have to, also knowing that entering the fight with two dead allies makes the fight easier falls under strategy.
You dont know that the first time so you either fight the hard way, die or got the info somewhere else :p

Last edited:

shark sandwich

man i remember the good old days when you fought in FFVII like a real man by leaving the cursor on the word "Fight" and hitting "O", nowadays people only have to hold down "O". sad, really...
you could actually hold down O in FF VII and it would immediately select attack when your turn came up

Sorry if that takes away some of the cerebral challenge of FF VII’s combat, but that secret really helped some of my sub-150 IQ colleagues to cope with the enormous complexity of choosing the same item from a menu until you win.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Nope unless you suck and have to, also knowing that you have to enter with two death allies to have a easier time falls under strategy.

Hmm I suppose so...

Confession: I've never beat Ruby weapon without miming KoTR.

Yeah I never bothered because I've never really been one to mess with postgame stuff like that in general, but I distinctly remember my brother always doing it this way. Either KoTR or Omnislash.

Arkage

Banned
you could actually hold down O in FF VII and it would immediately select attack when your turn came up

Sorry if that takes away some of the cerebral challenge of FF VII’s combat, but that secret really helped some of my sub-150 IQ colleagues to cope with the enormous complexity.

FF7s combat system was pretty bad. Never used 80% of the summons you get. Only used magic occasionally to mix things up out of boredom. One can mash X with occasional heals through the vast majority of fights. Allowing movement in the field of battle will mix things up, hopefully some environmental stuff going on, along with strategies for dealing with enemies that are high up or low (i.e. switching to Barrett to shoot someone up on a railing was cool).

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Man Square Enix can fuck off with their timed exclusive releases...

Its the same with all other FF games besides FF15 this gen...

And then they have the balls to ask for full price on Xbox after releasing all their PS2 ports a year later...

Pathethic company.
Didn't they made ps4 users wait 1 year for the Tomb Raider game?
Seems fair to make xbox user be the ones waiting now.

Teletraan1

Banned
I just started a playthrough of the PC version heavily modded. No more chibi models 60fps, better animations, increased difficulty, etc. Looks good enough that the only draw of this release is gone for me. The rest of this package is unappealing. Episodic, real time battles are both a non starter for me. If they had put an evolved version of FFX-2s battle system with materia rather than jobs I would be on board even if episodic.

wzy

Sorry if that takes away some of the cerebral challenge of FF VII’s combat, but that secret really helped some of my sub-150 IQ colleagues to cope with the enormous complexity of choosing the same item from a menu until you win.

Let's do another 10 pages of this since your memory is still dogshit. No one actually played the game like this, nor was there ever any incentive to do so. The game where you mash attack over and over again is FFXV, which is what the remake more closely resembles.

danielberg

Neophyte
I just started a playthrough of the PC version heavily modded. No more chibi models 60fps, better animations, increased difficulty, etc. Looks good enough that the only draw of this release is gone for me. The rest of this package is unappealing. Episodic, real time battles are both a non starter for me. If they had put an evolved version of FFX-2s battle system with materia rather than jobs I would be on board even if episodic.

Its perfect timing, FF7 modded and finally with higher resolution background mod released for the fans that just wanted the remake to be the same game but a bit prettier and the actual AAA remake for the people that wanted more.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

FF7s combat system was pretty bad. Never used 80% of the summons you get. Only used magic occasionally to mix things up out of boredom. One can mash X with occasional heals through the vast majority of fights. Allowing movement in the field of battle will mix things up, hopefully some environmental stuff going on, along with strategies for dealing with enemies that are high up or low (i.e. switching to Barrett to shoot someone up on a railing was cool).
Pretty much my thoughts as well.

I think the appeal of VII’s battle system was that it felt like you were “doing strategy” when really you were just sitting there with your brain mostly shut down, watching all these progress bars fill up, numbers getting bigger, fancy flashy attacks, etc. plus there’s a huge amount of nostalgia since most people were like 10-15 when they first played it, and for many of them it was their first JRPG.

Top Bottom