• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Releases March 3, 2020 - New Trailer

Teletraan1

Banned
Its perfect timing, FF7 modded and finally with higher resolution background mod released for the fans that just wanted the remake to be the same game but a bit prettier and the actual AAA remake for the people that wanted more.

Some of the backgrounds so far have been stunning. They used some sort of AI to upscale the images. This is exactly what I wanted SE to do years ago. The uglier backgrounds still look ugly (clouds moms house) but overall I am impressed. Updated battle backgrounds and the world map textures are nicer looking too.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Let's do another 10 pages of this since your memory is still dogshit. No one actually played the game like this, nor was there ever any incentive to do so. The game where you mash attack over and over again is FFXV, which is what the remake more closely resembles.

I wasn’t crazy about XV’s combat, but it’s 1000x more involved and challenging than VII’s.

And in VII the only reason to do something besides attack in non-boss battles is to relieve your own boredom or to end the battle (which 99.9% of the time there’s no way you could lose even if you tried) slightly more quickly. You aren’t fooling anybody.

base

Banned
Hmm I suppose so...

Yeah I never bothered because I've never really been one to mess with postgame stuff like that in general, but I distinctly remember my brother always doing it this way. Either KoTR or Omnislash.
Meanwhile u died plenty of times, Ruby changed you into a frog, absorbed ur mana, etc.

It's slways easier when u finished the game for the first time but the press X button strategy doesn't work here.

wzy

I wasn’t crazy about XV’s combat, but it’s 1000x more involved and challenging than VII’s.

And in VII the only reason to do something besides attack in non-boss battles is to relieve your own boredom or to end the battle (which 99.9% of the time there’s no way you could lose even if you tried) slightly more quickly. You aren’t fooling anybody.

You are bored because you are mashing attack over and over again. Like an idiot.

base

Banned
FF7s combat system was pretty bad. Never used 80% of the summons you get. Only used magic occasionally to mix things up out of boredom. One can mash X with occasional heals through the vast majority of fights. Allowing movement in the field of battle will mix things up, hopefully some environmental stuff going on, along with strategies for dealing with enemies that are high up or low (i.e. switching to Barrett to shoot someone up on a railing was cool).
Summons were useless but Command materia were a must.

After watching the trailers the only dialogue of her I can find is her saying "You think he's a keeper?" and "Have fun!" with a peace sign. I think that'll contrast well with the serious tones of the others especially Barrett. Also she kicked ass in the original game within the first minute as our introduction to her, so I don't think she's as introverted/noncombative as you remember. And she the one who basically asks Cloud out on a date I think?

Jessie was never the jolly part of the gang. If anything that's Wedge in a comedic way and Biggs in a casual way, so the contrast isn't needed. And Barrett is serious to the point of always being fun.
I'm not saying she isn't able to beat someone in combat, like she's a pacifist or completely useless in hand to hand, but if you follow all her interactions she's mainly a techie, the brains who's not the more upfront part of the crew, she's not anti-social, but she's also not very extrovert. I'm also pretty sure she hasn't asked Cloud on a date, if anything she's interested in him, but doesn't show it directly. She's all about self-doubt, tech obsession and being prone to accidents/mistakes. She gets stuck and need to get rescued on the first mission. On the second mission she's obsessed about Cloud, wanting to make his ID extra good, that she makes a mistake causing them to get discovered during the check. That was her way of showing affection and she made a mistake despite being very clever and technically skilled. Because of this crush she wanted to impress.

Read the FFVII wiki even:

"Jessie is the technical expert of AVALANCHE who builds bombs for raids on the Mako Reactors, following the plans of the original, more violent AVALANCHE. Jessie roughly acts as Barret's second-in-command, overseeing AVALANCHE's plans. She develops a crush on Cloud and does a poor job of hiding it. Despite being the technical expert, Jessie is pained by insecurities, and if a mission goes awry she is quick to blame herself. "

As I've said, if it's the english localization of the original game that's wrong, then that's fine. But if not, this points out them changing the character.
In context it's worse, because Cloud is honestly being a total asshole, so all these small comments make no sense.

shark sandwich

You are bored because you are mashing attack over and over again. Like an idiot.
Nah. Sometimes I’d 1-shot the entire enemy party with a spell, or cast a summon so I could see a big flashy animation. It was still boring.

base

Banned
E

Especially in Dungeons. The most boring places in the whole FF universe. Couldn't finish them in FFXV.

base

Banned
Some of the backgrounds so far have been stunning. They used some sort of AI to upscale the images. This is exactly what I wanted SE to do years ago. The uglier backgrounds still look ugly (clouds moms house) but overall I am impressed. Updated battle backgrounds and the world map textures are nicer looking too.
Add some Post Processing like SmartBloom Advanced and it hides some shitty parts.

The gsme looks way better but I can't manage to use it with my tv via hdmi. There's no sound in the game.

wzy

Nah. Sometimes I’d 1-shot the entire enemy party with a spell, or cast a summon so I could see a big flashy animation. It was still boring.

Put up or shut up. Which enemy groups did you one-shot with which spell? I know it wasn't any of the elemental attacks because the game stops giving you single-weakness encounters before you even reach Junon. Was it Ultima? Beta? Why does no one ever make this argument without lying?

shark sandwich

Put up or shut up. Which enemy groups did you one-shot with which spell? I know it wasn't any of the elemental attacks because the game stops giving you single-weakness encounters before you even reach Junon. Was it Ultima? Beta? Why does no one ever make this argument without lying?
Beta and Aqualung to name a couple.

And details aside, the fact remains that there is little reason to do anything besides using damage-dealing abilities until you win, with the occasional healing if your HP gets low.

- There is basically zero challenge and zero risk/reward calculation to make.
- There’s no incentive to play well rather than just get by.
-by far the most effective “strategy” is to level up until you face roll everything, in the rare case that you actually find yourself challenged at all.
- status effects or instant death abilities largely don’t work on bosses and they’re a waste of time to use on the piss easy enemies that actually can be affected by them
- all your party members are nearly identical aside from limit breaks and small stat differences (which are dominated by Materia anyway) so there’s no interesting party synergy to consider

Seriously one of the most boring and unchallenging battle systems I’ve ever played. The only interesting things about VII’s gameplay are the Materia and Limit Break systems, and I’m sure those will be adapted and upgraded for whatever battle system the remake has.

wzy

Beta and Aqualung to name a couple.

And details aside, the fact remains that there is little reason to do anything besides using damage-dealing abilities until you win, with the occasional healing if your HP gets low.

- There is basically zero challenge and zero risk/reward calculation to make.
- There’s no incentive to play well rather than just get by.
-by far the most effective “strategy” is to level up until you face roll everything, in the rare case that you actually find yourself challenged at all.
- status effects or instant death abilities largely don’t work on bosses and they’re a waste of time to use on the piss easy enemies that actually can be affected by them
- all your party members are nearly identical aside from limit breaks and small stat differences (which are dominated by Materia anyway) so there’s no interesting party synergy to consider

Seriously one of the most boring and unchallenging battle systems I’ve ever played. The only interesting things about VII’s gameplay are the Materia and Limit Break systems, and I’m sure those will be adapted and upgraded for whatever battle system the remake has.

"Levelling until you faceroll everything" isn't a strategy, it's a snooze. No wonder you were so bored: you're boring. No game designer in the world can give you something worth playing if they can't expect your cooperation. Why do you even want a remake at all if this is the sort of person you are?

B_Boss

I just want 3 square games remastered in my life before dying:

FF6
FF8
Chrono Trigger (more than anything).

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
none of the og games need remastering IMO. they are all perfect and best experience played in original release version. again, just my opinion. Secret of Mana, if i want to play that, i will see the original sprite art, i want to hear the original low res SNES chip soundtrack, not some newfangled remix with live instruments or whatever.

FFVII makes sense as a remake for a number of reasons. IMO it may be the only videogame that ever needs to be remade. look at the origins of FFVII, what it meant for gaming culture, how it transformed otherwise old fashioned 2D text & tiles RPGS into cinematic epics.

this was the first 3D FF game. it was not just a big deal for Square, it was a big deal for the industry. not just the cinematics were revolutionary, but the polygonal characters as well, and the cgi backgrounds, all of it expanding to a new, higher-def approach to storytelling than previous entries. the technical demands of 3 discs and the cinematic nature was a fundamental issue in the split between Nintendo & Sony. FF6 was epic but FFVII was undeniably cinematic. there have been fans requesting a remake of it for so long for those reasons. also for those reasons i think it will work pretty well with having a modern hd remake. it is a very potent game.

Last edited:

B_Boss

I'd like to add Secret of Mana to that list too.

Forgive me...how dare I forget that. I mean at least a proper one...

none of the og games need remastering IMO. they are all perfect and best experience played in original release version. again, just my opinion. Secret of Mana, if i want to play that, i will see the original sprite art, i want to hear the original low res SNES chip soundtrack, not some newfangled remix with live instruments or whatever.

FFVII makes sense as a remake for a number of reasons. IMO it may be the only videogame that ever needs to be remade. look at the origins of FFVII, what it meant for gaming culture, how it transformed otherwise old fashioned 2D text & tiles RPGS into cinematic epics.

this was the first 3D FF game. it was not just a big deal for Square, it was a big deal for the industry. not just the cinematics were revolutionary, but the polygonal characters as well, and the cgi backgrounds, all of it expanding to a new, higher-def approach to storytelling than previous entries. the technical demands of 3 discs and the cinematic nature was a fundamental issue in the split between Nintendo & Sony. FF6 was epic but FFVII was undeniably cinematic. there have been fans requesting a remake of it for so long for those reasons. also for those reasons i think it will work pretty well with having a modern hd remake. it is a very potent game.

See but that’s just it and while I do see what you mean and agree with you to an extent, FF6 probably would’ve been just as cinematic if the hardware supported it. Hence remastered. These creative geniuses man....what they have in their heads at the time these titles were launched were limited by what tech. could achieve. Square gets to make some bucks while the creatives can express the games they way they were originally intended with the higher end tech.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
A release date? I’m shocked, damn near disturbed.

ru1RSSf.gif

stickkidsam

Good to see the fires of action vs turn based are still roaring.

Ya know, I would always crank up the battle speed as far as I could a lot of the time. It would really add some tension to the battles since you had to try and keep up with enemy attacks while navigating the menus.

ATB can be really fun, but FFVII was not all that difficult most of the time. Hopefully we'll get to see it done even better sometime but personally, I'm glad we're going for action this time.

Top Bottom