• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Vanille said:
What's up with that big black border on the left in the 360 screens? =/

Lazy screen caps?

Unknown Soldier said:
You're putting a lot of effort into comparing screenshots which are at this point all but discredited. :lol

Not at all, those shots are from the latest batch just released today. I checked its native res, and they are all running at 576p. I could only conclude that this is the first batch of genuine 360 shots. (unless SE was secretly making PS3 version running at 576p for the US release =p)

Dresden

Meh, that APZonerunner dude said that the two versions were nearly identical, I'd trust him over some questionable screenshots.

At least we don't have triumphant Sony fanboys running rampant on this board.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Vamphuntr said:
Hey, at least there are no pointers on those. Seriously every topic about FFXIII are getting depressing. How the mighty have fallen.

At least we still have hope
?
for Versus XIII and Agito XIII. :p

ZeroRay

Don't know if the quality of the capture can affect resolution analysis but if it's true, then we'll have some fireworks on GAF (and the internet).

h3ro

Dresden said:
At least we don't have triumphant Sony fanboys running rampant on this board.

Comments like this don't help. Don't goad them into responding and then point and complain about fanboys.

I knew way back when the game was first announced as a multiplatform game that the focus would shift from discussing the actual game content to this nonsense.

Screw this, I'm going to go play Lost Odyssey and blast Suteki Da Ne.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Vanille said:
Seriously, how do you people notice these stuff? It's like 1 millimeter.

DMPrince said:
I think we all should just wait 3 more weeks. this has just been one big clusterfuck after another. there's nothing the PR team can do now.
I'm hoping some reviewers actually get the game soon so we can actually see some real screens.

Rpgmonkey

Vanille said:

Quotes from previous discussion on that:

APZonerunner said:
Usually 360 shots are captured directly from MS devkits, which have their own shotting utility. Plus, the black bar down the left side suggests a printscreened and hastily cropped image.

Mandoric said:
That's exactly my opinion - an intern hit printscreen over the display window they were playing in, leading to signature artifacting from certain cards' realtime mode, a distinctive overscan line, and the occasional floating mouse cursor.

ZeroRay said:
Don't know if the quality of the capture can affect resolution analysis but if it's true, then we'll have some fireworks on GAF (and the internet).

You can even get res analysis out of off-screen shots, if aliasing is clearing visible. For those new batch of 360 shots, it was rather easy reading as aliasing is very visible. Should check out the first pair of comparison shots back and forth, you'd see the difference in native res.

h3ro

MazingerDUDE said:
Nope, as huds are at 720p.

Are you on the Beyond3D forums? The system/overlays you used to get the resolutions seems similar to how I've seen previous games analyzed on that site.

Pooya

Lazy shots or not I don't think it affects the resolution analysis.
Bayonetta indeed!! at least SEGA did a decent job as 360 to ps3 ports tend to be harder.

h3ro said:
Are you on the Beyond3D forums? The system/overlays you used to get the resolutions seems similar to how I've seen previous games analyzed on that site.

Yup, I'm the guy used to do res analysis at B3D, but I don't go there no more. I'm thinking of making home here at gaf :D

Einbroch

Banned
miladesn said:
Bayonetta indeed!! at least SEGA did a decent job as 360 to ps3 ports tend to be harder.
Bayonetta looked and played worse.

So far, we only assume that Final Fantasy XIII looks worse on the 360.

MazingerDUDE said:
FF13_field_360.jpg

I think one of the other dudes on the forum might've just confirmed a PC version because that shot doesn't make sense.

When you compare the actual live rolling Xbox 360 footage (not screenshots!) from the Gametrailers interview, you get the textures are the same or equally close to the PS3 version.

Skip to 1:30 for the 360 footage

So either above is a PC shot or the 360 version. Because if that is the 360 version, then the GT footage was the PS3 version with a 360 HUD.

84710393.jpg

Truespeed

miladesn said:

No Sega did not do a decent job. They phoned it in as usual.

Vamphuntr

riceandbeans said:
I think one of the other dudes on the forum might've just confirmed a PC version because that shot doesn't make sense.

When you compare the actual live rolling Xbox 360 footage (not screenshots!) from the Gametrailers interview, you get the textures are the same or equally close to the PS3 version.

So either above is a PC shot or the 360 version. Because if that is the 360 version, then the GT footage was the PS3 version with a 360 HUD.

Jesus Christ, Square Enix PR/Marketing blows.

riceandbeans said:

It could be just coincidental that I saw those seemingly lower res ground textures on the latest batch of 360 shots. I guess I'd have to hold until the retail version is available.

Firestorm

Can you guys at least analyze screenshots that don't look like fake/badly compressed piles of turd? I mean, if that's the real 360 version... :lol Square Enix (and remove the mouse plz i don't have a 360 mouse)

Diebuster

SE really needs to get their act together. This screenshot business is just embarrassing.

Truespeed said:
You know you've reached a new low when the word 'Bayonetta' is used as a verb.

PS3 Bayonetta isn't as disastrous as people are making it sound though, at least post-patch.

Vamphuntr said:
Jesus Christ, Square Enix PR/Marketing blows.
Totally. I can take better screenshots than what they have done, and I'm not even working at Square-Enix. The last thing I wanted for this game was to have any kind of wars going on about which console version is better. It's not helping that Square-Enix is putting out these types of screenshots with mouse pointers on them. I'm sure the real screenshots, if Square-Enix ever releases them properly, will show that both versions are the same. If not, then thank goodness there's going to be a comparison thread.

hamchan

Einbroch said:
Bayonetta looked and played worse.

So far, we only assume that Final Fantasy XIII looks worse on the 360.

Yep.

Also, didn't we all expect the 360 version to look worse? Maybe not this bad but I definitely expected a lower quality.

riceandbeans said:

Skip to 1:30 for the 360 footage

84710393.jpg
It's not the first time GT have made this mistake. I think the game was Grid.

Whats with the SE bashing, the game was meant to be on bluray, has a shit ton of data, Im sure they did what they can, Im still skeptical about the shots, some of them just look way too horrible, maybe they shouldn't have sacrificed so much (if real), maybe add another disk or two, I don't know.

Vamphuntr

dreamer3kx said:
Whats with the SE bashing, the game was meant to be on bluray, has a shit ton of data, Im sure they did what they can, Im still skeptical about the shots, some of them just look way too horrible, maybe they shouldn't have sacrificed so much (if real), maybe add another disk or two, I don't know.

Space is clearly not the only concern. People in this thread had links that showed that the actual game data without CG movie was 6.8 GB. The CGI movie filling the rest of the place. Space cannot be responsible for the worst textures and the lower resolution.

Truespeed

hamchan said:
Yep.

Also, didn't we all expect the 360 version to look worse? Maybe not this bad but I definitely expected a lower quality.

I expected the CG to take a massive hit due to the compression, but I was surprised by the the sub-HD resolution of the 360 version.

MazingerDUDE said:
It could be just coincidental that I saw those seemingly lower res ground textures on the latest batch of 360 shots. I guess I'd have to hold until the retail version is available.

I'm not sure what to make of it, but it's very interesting because that low-res texture looks like it stretches across the entire plane. We have a couple cases here. Either that's not the 360 version at all or the 360 version has a mix of regular and low-res textures to compensate. I think Square might have just shown off shots of an internal PC version.

Let's take a look at the odd PR shots again. Couple things to note are that the textures are extremely low res, you can not make out any of the grass at all, from what it looks like, there are no flowers in sight.

FF13_field_360.jpg

1266389153.jpg

Compare this to an official X10 build running off camera and you can see the normal hi-res looking textures that are comparable to the PS3 builds.

35415809.jpg

24533962.jpg

IGN X10 Footage Here

And Here

So after hours worth of research I've come to the conclusion that haters gon hate. On another note, why is it that the fans have to do Square's job of showing off that the 360 version is on par? Yeesh....

Pooya

I just watched the Leona Lewis video again, that footage is definitely from 360 because you can actually see the back of the TV and cables, ground texture is definitely not like the in the messy shots released.

here skip to 00:22 , watch in HD.

miladesn said:
I just watched the Leona Lewis video again, that footage is definitely from 360 because you can actually see the back of the TV and cables, ground texture is definitely not like the in the messy shots released.

here skip to 00:22 , watch in HD.
First time seeing the commercial! Reminds me of the Wii commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom