• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You just have to be willing to push the scalpel in. Once you start, it becomes a lot easier to toss what you think you don't need.
But I need all these Paissa statues and champagne bottles.
425e5086cb.png

iammeiam

Dude you joke but the Paissa market a couple weeks back was insane. You could be rich.

On Balmung there's a super sustainable glamour market. Obviously so, I guess. With regards to the glamour system: Doesn't WoW's transmog just straight up not use some items? I remember there being a huge problem with it when it came out and I hear complaints about it to this day.

The glamour market everywhere is usually pretty active, sometimes in inexplicable ways, (seriously who are these people buying the crafted T13 monk chests and why are you all still paying 1 million), but thats not really the point of Yoshida's comment. My impression was largely that people would but the items once and then stash on retainer. Yoshida seems to think that at least part of the glamour market is people buying and glamouring Spring Dresses and then chucking them out and having to rebuy them later. Adding a glamour book wouldn't hurt the first-time-sale market, but would only be a threat to repeat business and retainer sales, but repeat business for the same big-ticket item for the same character doesn't seem like a really big thing.

WoW definitely has some transmog restrictions (White items not marked as cosmetic being a big one), but the system in Legion is pretty robust in general and the things you can't transmog tend to be more design decisions than technical limitations. And a lot of the complaints I remember about the system have analogues in the existing FFXIV one--WoW transmogs are account-wide, so if you unlock on character A you have access on character B, but a character can't unlock the transmog for an item that's not for them. So you can't unlock mage (cloth) glamour on a druid.

It'd be nice if XIV could add a glamour book, but on the list of things I want them to steal from WoW it probably comes after heirloom gear, phasing, and BoA mount unlocks just because two of those three should be a little simpler to develop and the third would free up the story to seem less constrained.

Soroc

Oh hey, you're Izumi! I see you around all the time. You're one of like two or three people I friended in-game back in 2013 when I first played (I only played for a month and came back around the start of the year) and we're still friends. So every now and then I see the orange name and briefly mistake you for someone from my FC. :lol

I'm Lynessa Caelum in-game, by the way.

haha no doubt! I've taken extended breaks myself and sometimes can't remember some of the oldest names on my friends list! I've done the same thing before, we probably stared at each other in game trying to figure out how the hell we remember each other :p

Squishy3

Is Doma more than one city? I know we're headed there in the expansion, but Yugiri is from Doma,
but it was apparently razed to the ground as an example to the other provinces.
Oboro is also from Doma, but
they were betrayed by their leader Gekkai, but "Doma" is now under imperial rule.

It's not clear.
So about this:

During/after the events of ARR (defeating Gaius) the Garleans were engaged in a war of succession (Where the now current Emperor, Varis Zos Galvus and his Uncle fought for the throne, with Varis winning) and the Domans staged an uprising and were able to reclaim several key locations. Garlemald however soon walked in after the war of succession ended and easily reclaimed the cities and performed public executions as retribution. I actually think this is where Yotsuyu is going to come in as the Imperial Viceroy for Doma, she probably lost someone close to her as a result of the uprising, and this would explain her lines in the launch trailer. I would not be surprised if she was related in some way to Hien, as well.

R0ckman

So does finishing the fishing quests require you stuff your gear with materia? Or be in HQ gear? It just seems dumb to me, if the best gear at that level (quests 53, 55 etc) doesn't work with out pouring money into modified gear, you are better off just buying the required fish off the market instead of learning and mastering the fishing mechanics. This makes no sense all these heavy stat impacting fishing endeavors should be saved for end of patch content.

KuroNeeko

Kind of strange to see everyone chomping at the bit to be done with HW, when I'm trying my hardest to get in. JUST finished 2.4.

Should make it just as the new content hits...lol......or

No hurry to reach SB. I just want to revisit healer (especially AST) without Cleric Stance (and without unlocking Swiftcast), and catch up on my crafting though that wall will get 10 fee...er, levels taller.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So does finishing the fishing quests require you stuff your gear with materia? Or be in HQ gear? It just seems dumb to me, if the best gear at that level (quests 53, 55 etc) doesn't work with out pouring money into modified gear, you are better off just buying the required fish off the market instead of learning and mastering the fishing mechanics. This makes no sense all these heavy stat impacting fishing endeavors should be saved for end of patch content.
You don't really need materia enhanced gear, indeed the skills they give you like patience and hookset are reserved mostly for end game fishing though they can be helpful while leveling.

I got there by grinding + leves.

Haly

I have two retainers. One holds mats. The other holds gears/tokens/furniture/unsellable junk.

I clean every week or so because I'm a digital neat freak.

I love all my Ironworks gear and can't bear to part with them though.

K-Marx

Banned
Our A12S clear video is up!
Only 5 days before the expansion hits!

Code:
The clear is always on that one bad pull :P
Apologies for the audio problems, Shadowplay likes to mess the configs from time to time.

Server: Ultros

Members:
Apollo Justice - MNK
Chocolate Biscotti - WAR
Electra Heart - SMN
Lael Rayn - WHM
Skoje Tzamantouros - PLD
Takato Pakato - BLM (me!)
Tomo Takino - SCH

Special Guest:
Angary Fays - BRD

We are the anti-meta!

lol you guys even lived throguh 2nd puddles too. Great job!

I was in a PUG group yesterday and my jaw dropped when we actually managed to do the mechanic correctly hahaha.

Anyone want to gear me up so i can continue the story lol. I don't want to grind for ilvl stuff. I'm ilvl 197 =\

I don't craft, sorry. =(

ZiZ

have the confirmed whether they're removing the Gil limitations when transferring from server to server?

If you own a house what happens to the furnishings?

R0ckman

You don't really need materia enhanced gear, indeed the skills they give you like patience and hookset are reserved mostly for end game fishing though they can be helpful while leveling.

I got there by grinding + leves.

Thanks for the advice (you too iammeiam) actually I had trouble until I was decked out in the 100 item level gear. I was CONSTANTLY getting fish got away until I was in that stuff. It seems like you can level fast by sitting in one area and grinding out collectibles and turning in bundles at a time. I want to save my leves for SB.

Squishy3

Thanks for the advice (you to iammeiam) actually I had trouble until I was decked out in the 100 item level gear. I was CONSTANTLY getting fish got away until I was in that stuff. It seems like you can level fast by sitting in one area and grinding out collectibles and turning in bundles at a time. I want to save my leves for SB.
Yeah, collectibles are the way to go for leveling gatherers 50-60. Can just watch TV until you hear garlandbell or whatever you use ring.

Sigh, this part of the story is getting ridiculous. You get 2-4 quests and then they up the level requirement. It's extremely frustrating to constantly have to break from the MSQ to go up another level. There has to be a better way to level quickly...how did you guys do it? I looked ahead and saw there were only two level 37 requests so when I was 36 I did Palace of the Dead as far as it would let me (31) but it requires Heavensward to do 31-40 and above so I used the other save file and started over again. Rinsed and repeated until I hit 39 which I thought would buy me a while. I've been doing the daily roulette too which is a god send. Anyway, I'm now where I need to be level 40 and need roughly 100k points to level up. Furthermore, I see that this is going to be a problem going all the way up to level 50. I can see in the MSQ list online that it keeps this stupid habit of only a few quests before the req goes up and even skips to two levels ahead at a point and three levels to 49...Jesus, seriously, what are you supposed to do? Even if you were doing side quests and fates, etc. naturally while running through the game, you'd never keep up with the pace it increases. I genuinely wonder what they expect of the gamers. Are we supposed to not feel compelled to finish the story? ;p

Anyway, haaaalp! I'm assuming the answer is going to be to keep wiping a save slot for Palace of the Dead and repeat floors 1-30 over and over again.... Why in gods name do they not let you repeat a particular set of 10 floors? I thought they did since I saw people saying they repeat 51-60 over and over. Are they really starting from floor 1 everytime to get to that range? I pray that I'm missing something here.

R0ckman

Sigh, this part of the story is getting ridiculous. You get 2-4 quests and then they up the level requirement. It's extremely frustrating to constantly have to break from the MSQ to go up another level. There has to be a better way to level quickly...how did you guys do it? I looked ahead and saw there were only two level 37 requests so when I was 36 I did Palace of the Dead as far as it would let me (31) but it requires Heavensward to do 31-40 and above so I used the other save file and started over again. Rinsed and repeated until I hit 39 which I thought would buy me a while. I've been doing the daily roulette too which is a god send. Anyway, I'm now where I need to be level 40 and need roughly 100k points to level up. Furthermore, I see that this is going to be a problem going all the way up to level 50. I can see in the MSQ list online that it keeps this stupid habit of only a few quests before the req goes up and even skips to two levels ahead at a point and three levels to 49...Jesus, seriously, what are you supposed to do? Even if you were doing side quests and fates, etc. naturally while running through the game, you'd never keep up with the pace it increases. I genuinely wonder what they expect of the gamers. Are we supposed to not feel compelled to finish the story? ;p

Anyway, haaaalp! I'm assuming the answer is going to be to keep wiping a save slot for Palace of the Dead and repeat floors 1-30 over and over again.... Why in gods name do they not let you repeat a particular set of 10 floors? I thought they did since I saw people saying they repeat 51-60 over and over. Are they really starting from floor 1 everytime to get to that range? I pray that I'm missing something here.

I think they assume you will be repeatedly running dungeons to upgrade your gear rather than power through them.

iammeiam

Even if you were doing side quests and fates, etc. naturally while running through the game, you'd never keep up with the pace it increases. I genuinely wonder what they expect of the gamers. Are we supposed to not feel compelled to finish the story? ;p

It's been a while, but the only really bad deadzone I remember in the main story was 46-49. Daily roulettes, occasionally rerunning the most recent unlocked dungeon mostly kept things floating along. 46-49 has always been awful in part because the dungeon that covers that is no fun.

Just to double-check, have you been unlocking the optional dungeons outside of the MSQ as you go? 35, 38, 44 and 47 are all levels where you can unlock a dungeon that the game won't force you into at that point, and it was a lot of grinding those or FATE trains in Coerthas back before PotD absorbed all the leveling. DPS queue times can be kind of long, but it's still worth hitting each at least once.

There'll be another drought section when you hit Heavensward; nature of the beast. I'm expecting deadzones in Stormblood and PotD exp scaling to be garbage over 60 so it's back to good old fashioned dungeon running.

Was listening to the latest Mogtalk about healing where they had a bunch of world first raiders/healers on to talk and one of them made a point about comparing what abilities White Mages got in Heavensward compared to what they're getting in Stormblood.

Thinking on that, all of the stuff White Mages got in Heavensward was great imo. There weren't any dud/lame abilities. Two damage abilities, Tetra, Asylum, Assize. All good stuff.

Then there's Stormblood with maybe one good ability (Thin Air).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is there any reason to preorder SB if I'm still on 3.x content? Any bonuses worth getting?

Special earrings and a red mage minion for pre-ordering. Plus, you get early access if you think you can finish up 3.0 stuff before launch. If you've finished the base HW story, the 3.1-3.5 stuff is only about half as many MSQ as 2-1-2.5

Was listening to the latest Mogtalk about healing where they had a bunch of world first raiders/healers on to talk and one of them made a point about comparing what abilities White Mages got in Heavensward compared to what they're getting in Stormblood.

Thinking on that, all of the stuff White Mages got in Heavensward was great imo. There weren't any dud/lame abilities. Two damage abilities, Tetra, Asylum, Assize. All good stuff.

Then there's Stormblood with maybe one good ability (Thin Air).

The confession stack instant free "cure 3" thing is pretty solid for all the "stack up and heal some aoe" mechanics which is like every fight.

The poor replacement for stoneshield is very unimpressive though. Flowers are also pretty bad. So yeah not a great selection of skills, but then again we only have the info of that "old" version they've shown in the promotion tour, it's possible some numbers tweak on stuff would make the options a lot more appealing.

iammeiam

Has Yoshida said anything about making Confession work in a not-dumb way? At the preview it was just a stack on whoever you were healing directly, only lasted 30 seconds, and the AOE heal only worked on people with the stack. Moving the stacks to the healer and then having it effect anyone in AOE range would be nice; Confession is a lot easier to tweak into not garbage than lilies. There is no number tweak to make lilies not bad unless it's like 100% proc rate every time you push a button. That'd be ok.

Assize is seriously my favorite skill in the game and SB is going to make it kind of ridiculous (shorter cool down and you no longer have to choose between decent AOE heal and decent AOE damage, it's just gonna go ahead and do both. While giving you back 10% MP because why not.) The HW skills did a good job of shoring up WHM's healing power while also addressing some of the non-healing weaknesses.

Is there any reason to preorder SB if I'm still on 3.x content? Any bonuses worth getting?

The preorder earrings aren't terrible; +30% EXP gained while level 50 or below, so decent for leveling alt jobs from ARR or HW. There's also a red mage minion which is worth it if you want a red mage minion and probably not if you don't.

The confession stack instant free "cure 3" thing is pretty solid for all the "stack up and heal some aoe" mechanics which is like every fight.

The poor replacement for stoneshield is very unimpressive though. Flowers are also pretty bad. So yeah not a great selection of skills, but then again we only have the info of that "old" version they've shown in the promotion tour, it's possible some numbers tweak on stuff would make the options a lot more appealing.

In order to get confession stacks you'll have to spam Cure I and II spells on every member of your party if you intend to AOE heal everyone with it. Which is most likely going to not be worth the time and mana.

Using Cure 3 for healing aoe after stacking will probably be a better use of time and mana. Since it heals for 550 potency.

In order to beat that with Plenary Indulgence you'll need 3 Confession stacks on every party member for 600 potency of healing. Even with a 100% chance of getting a confession stack with Cure II (he only mentioned 100% lily chance but humour me here) you'll need to hit every member of your party with Cure II three times in order to beat a single Cure III in terms of AOE healing.

Some things will change, but will the changes be enough? I don't know. Just saying from the immediate outlook HW was a better deal. Game's coming out in a couple days so I'm going to stop beating this horse.

Haly

Where is Uchiha? I see so many Uchihas, or variations thereof.

IS it a good idea to do a bunch of battle leves to turn in for Red Mage/Samurai?

I'm pretty sure those can be turned by any battle job as long as they meet the level requirement for the leve.

Mannn I was on that one life one world quest and kept the shepherds clothing on from the quest before by mistake and was wondering why that damn thing was so hard... :/

Unless they change the rewards, the HW leves for 50-60 were total crap as far as exp went.

Leves have to be turned in on the same class they were completed on.

Oh well. I was planning on running PotD 50-60 anyway. I figured the leves would be a nice bonus but it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things since I'll still be grinding PotD for hours.

Just resign yourself to running PoTD 35 times like the rest of us. :p

Someone before mentioned it was 39 runs.

Unless they buff the percentage bonus you get which would be welcome for those of us who will be deep in there on release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom