• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI: The Rising Tide releases April 18th + Trailer. (also QoL updates to the base game)

Go_Ly_Dow

tsRjaq5.png

Art direction is gorgeous (shame about the 1080p trailer :messenger_downcast_sweat:).

I enjoyed the first DLC a lot and this one looks a lot more substantial. About 10 hours long so 3x the content of the first one if that's the case. Also 10 sidequests alongside the main scenario.

Full PAX presentation here where they show more of the environments and a list of QoL updates for the base game, including a new challenge arena, streamlining and updates to the quest system, Eikon loudouts and more.

YyIcNCp.jpg

Some pics here:

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah this sounds like the real DLC. The other already released was a cut dungeon basically.

it was still amazing and with the best boss fights in the whole game. Also nice story and music!

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks, this doesn't mention the new dungeon trial mode thing that looked pretty cool. It's in the pax stream in the OP. 👍
True! This is just what comes with the free patch update right? Rest is pay?

IAmRei

I spent almost hundred hour in this game. The game it self is long, but not that long. And you know why i took so long? I offtene stopped, to enjoy beautiful art, beautiful environment concept, and listen to the music. As an artist, i enjoy this game by savoring their world concept. So beautiful...

MrMephistoX

I spent almost hundred hour in this game. The game it self is long, but not that long. And you know why i took so long? I offtene stopped, to enjoy beautiful art, beautiful environment concept, and listen to the music. As an artist, i enjoy this game by savoring their world concept. So beautiful...

Same I actually enjoyed treating it kind of like a leisurely mmo doing all the side quests and taking breaks in between instead of speeding through it in fact I beat the first DLC right before Rebirth without beating the game so my plan is to play through Rising Tide and then beat it for the first time.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Laaaaame.

I wanted the vanilla version to be on PC so the internet could witness thePC gamers reaction to the flow of the game.

I was honestly really looking forward to that.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
FFXVI Ultima Edition surely!?

The Royal Edition was very successful for XV.

The Royal Edition of XV turned the game from this weird top heavy open but pretty empty world with a narrative that just..."ohp, end credits!" Into like...a semi packed non linear episodic Alternate reality (depending on episodes) and a big finish that we never got because squarelol and instead it's a hardcover novel. ...I meant for that to be more positive. BUT!

The actual final dungeon with like ten extra bosses, extra story, extra missions, gear, tie in to Comrades and even a couple of guest party members they added...was great. Fantastic. Gave the end stretch some meat and made the ending feel more earned. I love dark, Gothic, post apocalyptic demon swept dark gooey goodness, and XV's final dungeon in Royal Edition is up there with my favorites (among which are Ultimecia's Castle, the Jade Passage, and the Pitioss Ruins from this same game)

FFXV was so frustrating because a lot of the Art, designs, characters, storyline, lore and music were fantastic. Just really cool ideas and imagination at work, but it's like no one coordinated it together into a coherent piece. I read about the development process of Final Fantasy VI, and I know that capability still exists within the company. I loved Ardyn. I loved the party dynamic. I absolutely adored the hunts and dungeons (favorite part of FFXII, which is also amazing) and I thought Eos was pretty neat, if plain. I also really liked the continued support for the game, to the point that they added entire crossover quests with other titles ending in substantial rewards, like a whole damn summon. I dunno, dude. Sorry for the blog, hahaha. I love a million parts of XV but it hurts that it never got the time to fully bake.

Go_Ly_Dow

The image quality of the new environment is surreal...I LOVE the water effect of this game

The art direction looks superb. Can't wait to dive in after FF7.

The Royal Edition of XV turned the game from this weird top heavy open but pretty empty world with a narrative that just..."ohp, end credits!" Into like...a semi packed non linear episodic Alternate reality (depending on episodes) and a big finish that we never got because squarelol and instead it's a hardcover novel. ...I meant for that to be more positive. BUT!

The actual final dungeon with like ten extra bosses, extra story, extra missions, gear, tie in to Comrades and even a couple of guest party members they added...was great. Fantastic. Gave the end stretch some meat and made the ending feel more earned. I love dark, Gothic, post apocalyptic demon swept dark gooey goodness, and XV's final dungeon in Royal Edition is up there with my favorites (among which are Ultimecia's Castle, the Jade Passage, and the Pitioss Ruins from this same game)

FFXV was so frustrating because a lot of the Art, designs, characters, storyline, lore and music were fantastic. Just really cool ideas and imagination at work, but it's like no one coordinated it together into a coherent piece. I read about the development process of Final Fantasy VI, and I know that capability still exists within the company. I loved Ardyn. I loved the party dynamic. I absolutely adored the hunts and dungeons (favorite part of FFXII, which is also amazing) and I thought Eos was pretty neat, if plain. I also really liked the continued support for the game, to the point that they added entire crossover quests with other titles ending in substantial rewards, like a whole damn summon. I dunno, dude. Sorry for the blog, hahaha. I love a million parts of XV but it hurts that it never got the time to fully bake.

I feel your pain. I was part of the XV hype crew on legacy GAF lol. It's a real shame they didn't give it the time it deserves.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yo! That ending shot.

Was that Clive with wings? He ascended to Ultima status for his sacrifice!? Fuck my feels can’t handle this shit.

paolo11

Is the novel canon?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Is the novel canon?

I think everything excluding the stuff covering episode Noctis could probably be interpreted as Canon. The novel essentially rewrites the ending of the game as I recall, and in every interview I've read with devs (which hasn't been too, too many) it mentions Japanese woo stuff like "another possibility," or "a split in time," or some shit. I've never seen any confirmation that Episode Noctis was canonized though. Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow might know of something more concrete, dude is the yin to my Final Fantasy yang.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think everything excluding the stuff covering episode Noctis could probably be interpreted as Canon. The novel essentially rewrites the ending of the game as I recall, and in every interview I've read with devs (which hasn't been too, too many) it mentions Japanese woo stuff like "another possibility," or "a split in time," or some shit. I've never seen any confirmation that Episode Noctis was canonized though. Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow might know of something more concrete, dude is the yin to my Final Fantasy yang.

Unfortunately I don't know about that one. But I'll do some digging and come back if I find anything!
A few official screenshots from Squeenix :p

GJTphbzWsAAtd39

GJTphbwWYAA9JY1

GJTphbwXoAA3awL

GJTphbxWcAA5oBM

More can be found here.

Shit looks dope. I'm going to love exploring this place just for the art direction and colours.

Will add some to the OP.

sigmaZ

tsRjaq5.png

Art direction is gorgeous (shame about the 1080p trailer :messenger_downcast_sweat:).

I enjoyed the first DLC a lot and this one looks a lot more substantial.

Full PAX presentation here where they show more of the environments and a list of QoL updates for the base game, including a new challenge arena, streamlining and updates to the quest system, Eikon loudouts and more.

YyIcNCp.jpg

Some pics here:

Looks lame but I'll probably play it lol

Top Bottom