• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update 1.03 released for Final Fantasy XVI, Adds Motion Blur Settings and 3 more controller layout options etc

Draugoth

Gold Member
F0UF5_caEAEkXGa

July 6th, 2023​

We announced the release of update 1.03, which makes a number of improvements to the game.
This update fixes some issues and adds some new functionality.
We recommend that you install this update before playing FINAL FANTASY XVI.

This update:

• Adds the following items to the System tab of the Main Menu:
    • Motion Blur Strength
      Allows the player to adjust the strength of the motion blur effect when the character or camera is in motion. The default setting is the maximum of 5. This can be lowered to reduce the strength of the motion blur effect, or set to 0 to turn it off completely.
    • Player Follow (Movement)
    • Player Follow (Attack)
      Turning these settings off prevents the camera from automatically following the player while moving and attacking respectively.
  • Changes the maximum setting of the Camera Sensitivity (Horizontal) and Camera Sensitivity (Vertical) items from 10 to 20.
  • Adds three new controller layouts: types D, E, and F.
  • Corrects an issue that affected the stability of some menus.
  • Corrects some text issues.
  • Adds the hashtag #FF16 when sharing screenshots or video clips on Twitter or YouTube.

June 20th, 2023​

We announce the release of update 1.02, which makes a number of improvements to the game.
This update fixes some rarely occurring issues and improves performance.
We recommend that you install this update before playing FINAL FANTASY XVI.

This update:

• corrects an issue wherein progression could become blocked under very specific circumstances,
  • corrects an issue wherein the game could close unexpectedly under very specific circumstances,
  • further optimizes gameplay performance, and
  • corrects some minor text issues.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Does it add gameplay?
So far all i did was mash the x button

Edit fuck you guys🤣 i deserved that hahahha. But you have to agree it is a very mashy game i am 5 ish hours deep in. The bossbattles are insane. And with the new moves i does get a tiny bit deeper. Swap style mash button

Last edited:
I wrote this in the OT:

Motion blur is nicely improved with the latest patch. Looks quite nice playing at motion blur set to 3 on my C1 OLED (in quality mode). One of the best 30fps games I’ve seen on my OLED now.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Definitely looking forward to jumping back in now!

Bojji

I wrote this in the OT:

Motion blur is nicely improved with the latest patch. Looks quite nice playing at motion blur set to 3 on my C1 OLED (in quality mode). One of the best 30fps games I’ve seen on my OLED now.

Yep, it's much better than standard motion blur when set to 2 (imo the best). No motion blur looks very bad on B2 OLED.

Well, this is awkward…

Game is so easy that you can just jump around and win every battle!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Motion Blur strength 2 is the best of both worlds in my experience.

< 2 doesn't help with the motion judder, > 2 doesn't remove the double image / ghost image on Clive when moving the camera fast.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Motion blur settings were a must. One of the worst implementations of it in otherwise a very good looking game overall. I am impressed with their HDR on the fire and particle effects. One of the best I've seen in a game, nice and nitty!

LordCBH

Good fucking riddance to the motion blur. It will not be missed. Playing more than 45 minutes or so gave me a headache because of it. Now that I can turn it off, I’m bout to marathon the rest of this amazing game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Motion blur settings were a must. One of the worst implementations of it in otherwise a very good looking game overall. I am impressed with their HDR on the fire and particle effects. One of the best I've seen in a game, nice and nitty!
But the game is so smooth at 30 fps, it legit feels like a 40 fps mode. I wonder how much of that is due to that intensive motion blur. Im scared to turn it down or turn it off because it might exposed the game as the 30 fps jittery game it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But the game is so smooth at 30 fps, it legit feels like a 40 fps mode. I wonder how much of that is due to that intensive motion blur. Im scared to turn it down or turn it off because it might exposed the game as the 30 fps jittery game it is.
Just turn it down to 1 or 2 if you're worried. 5 is a no go zone.

Elios83

Great for the motion blur toggle, although I must say that after 50h into the game I got used to it, but I will definetly turn it down.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great for the motion blur toggle, although I must say that after 50h into the game I got used to it, but I will definetly turn it down.

I'm glad, this was one of the rare games where a lot of motion blur would make my eyes hurt, gave me a slight headache. There's games with good motion blur, this was not one (at launch).

Akuji

It feels smooth at setting 2 for motion blur

Smoothest 30fps game I’ve played
i played it at 30fps for a bit. got eye cancer instantly.
on pc i turn down settings if i drop below 140fps :/
When u play @ 60fps and u change settings for 30 fps the first minute it feels like a flip book. but iam playing my singleplayer games on a 120" projector screen so maybe thats part of it

SlimySnake

Smoothest 30fps game I’ve played
Yep. Im honestly confounded by the complaints about the 60 fps mode because this feels fantastic and has great IQ 99% of the time. Why anyone would want to play this game at 720p is beyond me. People should be praising this 30 fps implementation so that more devs take a look at just what makes this so smooth.

Instead we are outraged about this as if 60 fps should be the norm for next gen games like this.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Yep. Im honestly confounded by the complaints about the 60 fps mode because this feels fantastic and has great IQ 99% of the time. Why anyone would want to play this game at 720p is beyond me. People should be praising this 30 fps implementation so that more devs take a look at just what makes this so smooth.

Instead we are outraged about this as if 60 fps should be the norm for next gen games like this.
It is not smooth

If you have newer Samsung TV turn on game motion plus. Other than increased input lag (my TV is low 20s ms with GMP on) there is no downside and the game looks like it's running between 40-45 fps in graphics mode. Motion blur needs to be on though to hide artifacting.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You want smooth, pop in The Order 1886. That was the smoothest 30fps game still, IMO.

Hell, even TLoU2 was very smooth at 30. But The Order was developed with zero input lag skipping in-between frames, so it has a 60fps response time to input latency which it felt amazing. Every frame is perfectly synced to response time. A lot of devs skip frames on their input latency.

While this game is smoother than say Elden Ring in the 30fps mode, I very much noticed the 30fps "stutter" in comparison to 60, it just wasn't as heavy. Elden Ring is chop suey city in 30.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Turning off auto follow camera and turning down motion blur to 2 made such a huge difference. I can actually see now in combat lol. Game looks much better in graphics mode. The auto follow camera combined with the insane motion blur washed away so much detail in motion both in and out of combat

GymWolf

The blur in quality mode was the most aggressive i ever seen in my life, i take 720p over upscaled 1440p that turn into 240p everytime you move the fucking camera.

It's a matter of choosing the lesser evil.

Too bad that the framerate is not locked in both modes.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This shit should have been there day one ffs,

Framerate mode is still trash apparently.
This is a 30fps game and was developed with 30fps in mind. They made all the right choices. It's very low input lag and motion blur hides judder excellent on oled. Loved the launch experience.
Motion blur toggle is never a bad thing of course!!

As for the framerate mode, it is a last minute effort. Twitch streamers who saw the game few months ago, said the 60fps mode was locked to 30fps in field and only unlocked to 60 in combat.
They never meant for the game to be fully 60. They just bent the knee

GymWolf

This is a 30fps game and was developed with 30fps in mind. They made all the right choices. It's very low input lag and motion blur hides judder excellent on oled. Loved the launch experience.
Motion blur toggle is never a bad thing of course!!

As for the framerate mode, it is a last minute effort. Twitch streamers who saw the game few months ago, said the 60fps mode was locked to 30fps in field and only unlocked to 60 in combat.
They never meant for the game to be fully 60. They just bent the knee
The game doesn't look good enough to be a 30 fps only project and the blur raped my eyes more than the last jedi ever did.

Agree to disagree i guess.

SlimySnake

Turning off auto follow camera and turning down motion blur to 2 made such a huge difference. I can actually see now in combat lol. Game looks much better in graphics mode. The auto follow camera combined with the insane motion blur washed away so much detail in motion both in and out of combat
What is this auto follow stuff? I never noticed it.

Go_Ly_Dow

My settings now:
Graphics mode
Camera Senitivity horizontal and vertical speed both upped to 6
Motion Blur 2
Target Follow Off
Player Follow (Movement) Player Follow and (Attack) both Off

Try it, feels much better to play and you can see the battles more clearly. Ghosting seems to have reduced around Clive and motion blur is subtle so it doesn't smudge the environmental details. Looks awesome on an OLED!

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thank fuck. I don't know how anyone could play the 30fps mode with the motion blur. Absolutely worse than the frame drops in performance mode.

Seems you still can't turn it off completely...

Last edited:

DeVeAn

So, the ghosting from the icons while exploring is the true crime. Gives me a headache. The blur wasn’t the thing that bothered me much. Nice we can adjust though.

oji-san

Banned
Still haven't played the game but i'm happy to see the option to turn off the camera follow, i don't like it so it's good they added the option to turn this off.

Top Bottom