• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI: The Rising Tide releases April 18th + Trailer. (also QoL updates to the base game)

IAmRei

FFXVI Ultima Edition surely!?

The Royal Edition was very successful for XV.
Oh i have a good time with xv as well, spent fighting and eating and also travels a lot and then do fishing. I forgot about the story in the end i didnt finish it. Although i got lv 80s in half of the game XD.... Tldr: i love the gameplay the rest is not so much. Still fine game for me

IAmRei

A few official screenshots from Squeenix :p

GJTphbzWsAAtd39

GJTphbwWYAA9JY1

GJTphbwXoAA3awL

GJTphbxWcAA5oBM

More can be found here.
Truly masterpiece of arts

Akuji

Holy shit, looks insane.

Quite happy that i have not played 16 yet. Need to accelerate my gaming throughput to finally play all the amazing games i have in my backlog.

My home theatre should be finished withhin the next 12 months and then i need to take like a month off and shedule 8 hours a day for gaming only...
Men, cant wait.

SABRE220

Say what you will about ff16,s visuals but at its peak it crushes rebirth, if only square enix could be consistent in quality.

Last edited:

paolo11

I think everything excluding the stuff covering episode Noctis could probably be interpreted as Canon. The novel essentially rewrites the ending of the game as I recall, and in every interview I've read with devs (which hasn't been too, too many) it mentions Japanese woo stuff like "another possibility," or "a split in time," or some shit. I've never seen any confirmation that Episode Noctis was canonized though. Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow might know of something more concrete, dude is the yin to my Final Fantasy yang.
So XV has two timelines. One novel one game?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So XV has two timelines. One novel one game?

Technically three, if you factor in the what if option in Episode Ignis. But it's easy enough to just disregard that stuff if it makes the narrative too wonky for you. I think FFXV nailed the ending, if anything, and changing or amending it seems counterintuitive to the impact it had. Kind of like a FFX-2 deal.

FF16 devs Kujiraoka, Takai, and Yoshi-P have a very interesting quote in the latest Famitsu interview where they reveal that completing both the "Echoes of Fallen" DLC and "Rising Tide" DLC will unlock an epilogue that might "give you the most hope."

It also involves Clive and lets you feel that the world is safe after all.

Here's the full translation of their quotes:

Kujiraoka: I can't reveal the exact details, but we have prepared a comprehensive epilogue quest that unlocks after clearing both DLCs as an expression of gratitude to the fans.

Takai: It's a quest that will make you go "oh, is that so?"

Yoshida: The epilogue connects to all that Clive has done thus far in the story taking place in the world of FF16. It's a conclusion of sorts.

Kujiraoka: Perhaps this is something in the DLC that might give you the most hope. By playing this quest, its contents will allow you to feel that the world is safe after all.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Super excited for this and to see how they cap off the finale.

Loved this game even with blatant warts.

Elios83

Definetly going to pick up this, hopefully they're working on PS5 Pro version which can run the game with quality mode graphics (or even crisper with the AI upscaler) at 60fps.

Go_Ly_Dow

Super excited for this and to see how they cap off the finale.

Loved this game even with blatant warts.
People far too black and white with this game.

I love the world and care put into presenting Valisthea in it's entirety in one. The care put into the characters, the large cast, the stunning music, awesome spectacle, great visuals and general mystery from start to finish. The art direction and visual look was top notch compared to the majority of games.

I think with 16 and now definitely with 7 Rebirth they have two great templates to look at to keep improving FF going forward.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
People far too black and white with this game.

I love the world and care put into presenting Valisthea in it's entirety in one. The care put into the characters, the large cast, the stunning music, awesome spectacle, great visuals and general mystery from start to finish. The art direction and visual look was top notch compared to the majority of games.

I think with 16 and now definitely with 7 Rebirth they have two great templates to look at to keep improving FF going forward.
Yet to play rebirth but it sounds like there’s no excuse for 17 to not be a masterpiece through and through.

Last edited:

Square should grab both templates “and now kiss”

Rebirth is the better game IMO, since it feels like a JRPG with a vast world, huge party and exploration, but the spectacle in display on FFXVI was something else. Rebirth summons feel so weightless after the Eikons.

If they can craft a new original story that has the big moments of FFXVI and still have the quirkier moments of Rebirth, they’ll have another masterpiece in their hands.

Go_Ly_Dow

Square should grab both templates “and now kiss”

Rebirth is the better game IMO, since it feels like a JRPG with a vast world, huge party and exploration, but the spectacle in display on FFXVI was something else. Rebirth summons feel so weightless after the Eikons.

If they can craft a new original story that has the big moments of FFXVI and still have the quirkier moments of Rebirth, they’ll have another masterpiece in their hands.

Definitely, I think that would now be the dream new FF they should shoot for.

I recall Hamaguchi hinting in an interview that the Weapon battles in the final part of the FF7 saga may borrow ideas from the Eikon fights in 16.

Go_Ly_Dow

Large patch for the main game before the final DLC release.

18th April 2024

We announce the release of update 1.31, which makes a number of changes and improvements to the game. The update also allows for the purchase and installation of the DLC package The Rising Tide.

Version 1.31

The following content is available to all players:

Additional In-game Content

• Orchestrion rolls added to regional shops.
    Rolls available depend on main scenario progress.
Battle Adjustments

• Player ATK increased outside of select Eikon battles.
  • Quality of life UI additions made in certain Eikon battles.
Eikonic Ability & Feat Adjustments

• Two instances of ball lightning will fire when exacting Ramuh's Eikonic Feat Blind Justice.
  • Ball lightning affixed to enemies is now detonated via the feat button rather than attacking.
  • Clive now moves faster while using Blind Justice.
  • Clive can now dodge while using Blind Justice.
  • Clive recovers poise more quickly after exacting Blind Justice.
  • When canceling Bahamut's Eikonic Feat Wings of Light, the Megaflare charge will only deplete to the next gauge level.
  • A dodge is conducted when initiating Wings of Light.
  • Successfully dodging an enemy attack when initiating Wings of Light will trigger a Megaflare Dodge.
  • Parry animation when using Odin's Eikonic Feat Arm of Darkness has been changed.
  • The minimum jump height for initiating Stomp has been lowered.
  • The direction Clive faces after using Swift Recovery has been adjusted.
  • Limit Break attacks now lift enemies instead of knocking them back.
  • Gouge damage is increased.
  • Gouge will damage is increased.
  • Gouge recast time is reduced.
  • Aerial Blast now dispels certain ranged magic attacks.
  • Aerial Blast will damage is increased.
  • Windup area of effect is increased.
  • Earthen Fury recast time is reduced.
  • Flare Breath now dispels certain ranged magic attacks.
  • Flare Breath now lifts enemies instead of knocking them back when canceling the ability.
  • Flare Breath damage is increased.
  • Satellite damage is increased.
  • Satellite recast time is reduced.
  • Satellite will damage is increased.
  • Ice Age damage is increased.
  • Ice Age will damage is increased.
  • Ice crystal generated when using Rime will now better draw in nearby enemies.
  • Rime will damage is increased.
  • Gungnir recast time is reduced.
  • Gungnir will damage is increased.
  • Heaven's Cloud chained follow-up attacks can now be focused on a single enemy by locking on to the enemy.
  • Heaven's Cloud will damage is increased.
  • Heaven's Cloud recast time is reduced.
Accessory Adjustments

• Effectiveness of the following accessories has been improved:
    • Favor of Wind (Gouge)
    • Favor of Wind +1 (Gouge)
    • Breath of Earth (Earthen Fury)
    • Breath of Earth +1 (Earthen Fury)
    • Breath of Darkness (Gungnir)
    • Breath of Darkness +1 (Gungnir)
    • Breath of Darkness (Heaven's Cloud)
    • Breath of Darkness +1 (Heaven's Cloud)
    • Cavall's Fang
    • Cavall's Fang +1
    • Cavall's Bite
Other Changes to Actions

• Alleviated rare issue of Clive jumping when accessing objects under certain conditions.
  • Made adjustments to when Torgal can be petted and lowered time before re-petting.
  • Made adjustments to calculations for amount of damage taken when near death.
Quests

• A "Quick Complete" function has been added, giving players the option to warp directly to a quest-giver upon completing a quest's final objective.
  • A new quest icon has been assigned to quests which reward collectables.
  • Ability Point awards for certain sidequests have been increased.
  • Additional cutscenes have been added to certain sidequests.
  • Minor changes have been made to cutscene staging.
  • New NPCs have been added to certain settlements.
System

• Added "Custom" controller type.
    Go to Controller Layout on the System tab in the Main Menu to freely assign functionality to the buttons on your controller.
  • Skill Sets have been added.
    Players can now save up to 5 skill sets. Swap between sets with L1/R1.
  • The following functionality has been added to Photo Mode:
    • Focal Distance adjustability in Depth of Field setting
    • Tone Correction
    • Screen Effects
    • Portrait Mode
    • 90-degree rotation in Roll functionality
  • Minor updates and additions to the Thousand Tomes.
  • Visual updates to the State of the Realm timeline slider.
  • Updates and additions to the UI and various menus.
Bug Fixes

• The following issues have addressed:
    • Graphics not appearing correctly in certain cutscenes
    • Incorrect character motion in certain cutscenes
    • Inability to progress in certain quests
    • Progression markers not displaying properly
    • NPC names not properly updating in conjunction with game progression
    • Problems with menu functionality when speaking with NPCs
    • Enemies not acting properly in certain battles under certain conditions
    • Issues with camera work in certain battles
    • Enemy effects not displaying properly in certain battles under certain conditions
    • Enemy names not appearing properly under certain conditions
    • Certain abilities not hitting targets properly
    • Precision sic not executing properly with certain abilities
    • Certain ability effects not displaying properly under certain conditions
    • Issues with camera work during certain abilities
    • Instances of limit break/ability effects not properly triggering
    • Auto Torgal not functioning properly in the Hall of Virtue (training mode)
    • Issues with party ally AI
    • Collision detection in certain stages and fields
    • Issues with character motion
    • State of the Realm menu icons not updating or displaying properly
    • Slight discrepancies in State of the Realm content
    • Rare instances of past State of the Realm content being unavailable for viewing
    • Graphics not displaying properly in Photo Mode when using certain photography methods
    • Text and Icons not displaying properly on the world map under certain conditions
    • Instances of current location not displaying properly on world map
    • Instances of region map icons not displaying properly
    • Instances of controller vibration and adaptive trigger functionality not working properly
    • Menu layout not displaying when switching between languages
    • Config settings not changing properly when restoring defaults
    • Incorrect screenshots and videos in certain tutorials
    • Tutorials not appearing at proper times
    • Inability to obtain certain redeemable items when starting New Game+
    • Notices not appearing at proper times
    • Instances of sound effects not playing at proper times
    • Various spelling and grammar mistakes
    • Various instances of game crashes

sigmaZ

Not really interested, but it is cool that they at least listened to some of the criticism. I'll try out the DLC on PC.

Large patch for the main game before the final DLC release.
Seems like they buff everything? Seems like they made everything viable. I wonder if my Build still works as before 🤔

It was basically a long-ass flow-chart of the most expensive abilities back to back and when everything was in cooldown, used Limit Break, rinse and repeat. It was OP. Can’t wait to see what Leviathan has in store!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Well anyone playing it? It’s available in Europe since 2AM and priced at 19,99€. Gonna start it in few hours… I’m reading somehow they brought-in some improvements to performance mode too in the new region which wouldn’t be a bad thing. Gonna test it later!
yRY3Jg0.jpeg

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Well anyone playing it? It’s available in Europe since 2AM and priced at 19,99€. Gonna start it in few hours… I’m reading somehow they brought-in some improvements to performance mode too in the new region which wouldn’t be a bad thing. Gonna test it later!
yRY3Jg0.jpeg
how big the size?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The Royal Edition of XV turned the game from this weird top heavy open but pretty empty world with a narrative that just..."ohp, end credits!" Into like...a semi packed non linear episodic Alternate reality (depending on episodes) and a big finish that we never got because squarelol and instead it's a hardcover novel. ...I meant for that to be more positive. BUT!

The actual final dungeon with like ten extra bosses, extra story, extra missions, gear, tie in to Comrades and even a couple of guest party members they added...was great. Fantastic. Gave the end stretch some meat and made the ending feel more earned. I love dark, Gothic, post apocalyptic demon swept dark gooey goodness, and XV's final dungeon in Royal Edition is up there with my favorites (among which are Ultimecia's Castle, the Jade Passage, and the Pitioss Ruins from this same game)

FFXV was so frustrating because a lot of the Art, designs, characters, storyline, lore and music were fantastic. Just really cool ideas and imagination at work, but it's like no one coordinated it together into a coherent piece. I read about the development process of Final Fantasy VI, and I know that capability still exists within the company. I loved Ardyn. I loved the party dynamic. I absolutely adored the hunts and dungeons (favorite part of FFXII, which is also amazing) and I thought Eos was pretty neat, if plain. I also really liked the continued support for the game, to the point that they added entire crossover quests with other titles ending in substantial rewards, like a whole damn summon. I dunno, dude. Sorry for the blog, hahaha. I love a million parts of XV but it hurts that it never got the time to fully bake.
What? Xv royal edition didn’t change that much. Whole game is the same. They just fixed some bugs, added tons of bloat and boss rush to insomnia ruins and a cutscene from the movie or two.
I would wager the last dungeon is kinda annoying if anything

ChiefDada

Gold Member
yRY3Jg0.jpeg

I will catch up on this and others once the Pro arrives.

Zheph

Just started, it's looking really good. I recommend doing Echoes of the Fallen before, it's short but intense and you get some useful stuff from it

Garibaldi

Seems very odd that the gear slots don't include the accessories. You end up having to manually change your accessories if you don't have a match Iconic ability.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got bored with the plot in 16 to the point I’d just skip whatever was there just to get to the boss fight. This is from someone who will read everything in a text based JRPG. I am interested in the art/combat. IMO SE needs better writers.

Square-Enix reminds me of a company that was handed down to the children of the owner. They’re living off their parents or elders legacy.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
This dlc releasing gets us one step closer to ff16 on PC… that’s the only thing the team has left in development at this point, right?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I notice that the music used for leviathan is the very first track they used for the awakening trailer 3+ years back, and then it never showed in the main game

Glad to finally have an official version finally completed. The above was completed by combing the snippets in the original trailer with music from FF 14, primarily stormblood. And was the closest we had until now.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
What? Xv royal edition didn’t change that much. Whole game is the same. They just fixed some bugs, added tons of bloat and boss rush to insomnia ruins and a cutscene from the movie or two.
I would wager the last dungeon is kinda annoying if anything

But it did, which is why I typed all of that. Insomnia is a night and day difference. I'm not saying it's one of the best or even better FF, just that the Royal Edition was a much tighter product.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I got bored with the plot in 16 to the point I’d just skip whatever was there just to get to the boss fight. This is from someone who will read everything in a text based JRPG. I am interested in the art/combat. IMO SE needs better writers.

Square-Enix reminds me of a company that was handed down to the children of the owner. They’re living off their parents or elders legacy.
For every riveting, dramatic GoT-style scene there are 10 others where Clive & pals stand there like bored mannequins yapping endlessly about some shit nobody cares about. I swear the writers must be getting paid by the word. This game put me to sleep multiple times before I dropped it (around the 70% mark).

sigmaZ

For every riveting, dramatic GoT-style scene there are 10 others where Clive & pals stand there like bored mannequins yapping endlessly about some shit nobody cares about. I swear the writers must be getting paid by the word. This game put me to sleep multiple times before I dropped it (around the 70% mark).
I completed it (begrudgingly) on release, but I just reinstalled it to see if I could even muster to play it again for the DLC, but I can't. This is EXACTLY how I felt walking around the base trying to talk to people. I'm gonna skip the DLC and maybe give it a try when it comes out of PC, but even then I'm not sure. This game triggers me in various ways.

So I bought the Expansion Pass and there was a pop-up in the main menu that said I needed to complete the first DLC to access the second... but that seems to be false. I'm progressing through Rising Tide just fine without having touched the first DLC... maybe they changed that requirement and forgot to change the pop-up? Idk

But anyway I'm like an hour into the DLC and I want to take a nap. I almost forgot how fucking slow everything is in this game... no joke, Shula's voice actor sounds like she's at 50% speed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I can say one thing that ffxvi did....I have never got to the point of spamming a button to get through dialogue and text without reading it.. I've played plenty of games where I read the dialogue and then skip but this game I literally spammed x on every single side quest dialogue around half way through the game. It was still bad.

This game is a mediocre turd and doesn't deserve the final fantasy name. I'm convinced it damaged sales of ffvii rebirth 😞

Top Bottom