• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Sölf;207890576 said:
God, I looked at my Fates playtime. Ingame I have logged roughly 84 or 85 hours (a bit over 40 on Birthright and a bit over 43 on Conquest). Actual playtime: 120 hours. God, I basically resetted and retried the same amount of time as it took me to beat one of those routes. xD
I dont know what my actual is, but I'm sitting at

Conquest: 61 hours
Birthright: 55 hours
Revelations: 78 hours

and I still havent beaten revelations

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sölf;207890576 said:
God, I looked at my Fates playtime. Ingame I have logged roughly 84 or 85 hours (a bit over 40 on Birthright and a bit over 43 on Conquest). Actual playtime: 120 hours. God, I basically resetted and retried the same amount of time as it took me to beat one of those routes. xD

Well, I'm still playing Conquest (on mission 26 now, which is looking good so far, but I expect hell to break loose when I enter the lower room) and even though I'm at 25 hours in game, my actual playtime is north of 90 hours... I will probably exceed 100 hours without touching any route but Conquest and reseting makes up three quarters of my whole playtime...

McNum

I have a feeling my avatar has been unlucky with Defense in Conquest. At 20/5 he has 15 Def. That's 17 with the Grim Yato, and now 19 since I threw a Dracoshield at him. Kana isn't doing too hot in Defense either, but she has a Nohrian Blade and a Dragonstone to compensate. I'm gonna have to boost him for the final stages, I think, but at least he's fast. Only Felicia out-speeds him.

On the fun side, I am liking the Nohr Noble level 5 skill. I thought that sounded familiar after completing Birthright...
"Draconic Hex -4 to all stats to enemies who fight this unit" Isn't that the same thing the final boss had there?
And Kana is just about to get it, too... I feel this could get really important.

Azuran

Banned
>nearly finished with level, decide to use hana+ryouma as dodge tank to bait archers into moving forward
>hana has like 70% dodge chance
>hana gets hit by a boulder with probably like 20% chance and two arrows with like 50% chance and dies

fuck this game. this is the fourth fucking time i've restarted this map

i'm playing conquest on baby mode. fuck this.

I can tell chapter 21 in Conquest will be the bane of your existence :p

Sölf;207890576 said:

Welp decided to look at mine again and I'm wondering how it got that high

651ntlQ.jpg

Velcro Fly

I don't know how you are supposed to do the Shiro paralogue without either

- tons of people dying
- Shiro himself dying because he's a moron

It seems like the first turn I always have someone die. Also seems that every 30% to hit has hit both times I've tried the map. But then I have a 73% chance to hit (and double) with a 52% chance to crit and I do 17 damage.

I've done fairly well with the game so far but this chapter is just 100% set up for you to fail again and again until you get lucky I feel.

I mean Shiro is guaranteed to be dead on Enemy Turn 2. I have to pull off some real cheese to save him and not get half my group killed in the process. One of those paralogues where you just grind the pairing up and play it immediately. Silly me for waiting until chapter 20 to do it.

Welp decided to look at mine again and I'm wondering how it got that high
if this was a console/pc game and not a handheld mine would be that high because then I wouldve been willing to max every support.
49 turns for Ch 10 Rev. these map designs are fucking wack.
mine took a lot less than that, and I feel like they have gotten shorter as the game progressed. Definitely my favorite map designs of the 3 campaigns. I loved hide n seek in the snow

ohlawd

if this was a console/pc game and not a handheld mine would be that high because then I wouldve been willing to max every support.

mine took a lot less than that, and I feel like they have gotten shorter as the game progressed. Definitely my favorite map designs of the 3 campaigns. I loved hide n seek in the snow

I played it uber safe. had Kaze clear snow and move everyone else along. I never took a turn where I cleared snow twice. if an enemy showed up I'd be prepared with everyone sans Kaze ready to attack. wanted all the enemy drops too

Velcro Fly

Finally got that first turn down and was able to finish the map without anyone dying. I'm playing on casual but this challenge I could not turn down.

Also I love Ryoma's critical animation.

Frost_Ace

Sölf;207887705 said:
If you do it later, you can get to the corridor but have to turtle in there (which isn't even that easy, because enemies have different weapons and come in droves). What I did later on, send Nyx with a Nosferatu Tome paired up with Leo to the western entrance (probably works with any magic user), so she baited a few enemies and then ran away, where as the others blocked the corridor and slowly moved through it. The whole setup took 3 turns I think, until everyone was in position so I could start with this.

Around 4-5 units were on the front of the corridor, barely in range of some enemies, the rest cleared the first room, baiting only 1 or 2 on the first enemy phase when they become active and clearing that room in the next player phase. After that, it's a bit back and forth with the enemies. If you are too far out in the hallway, too many enemies attack and a character may die. If you are too far back, you won't reach the enemies in order to kill them in time. But it works with a bit of panning. You have more than enough time to kill them and then move to the enemy dispatched to kill Forrest.
I can't do it :(

But on the other hand I completed Nina's paralogue and now I've got a powered up shining bow, my Niles is ready to destroy everything

Dee Dee

Finally got that first turn down and was able to finish the map without anyone dying. I'm playing on casual but this challenge I could not turn down.

Also I love Ryoma's critical animation.

Congrats on getting Ryoma II!!

Who's Shiro's mother for you?
I shipped Ryoma with Kagure, because their supports were nice.
My Shiro had that lock opener ability and great evade from it. I am still sad that he died in my endgame (I really wanted to finish that chapter asap...).
I S-ranked him with Selkie, the two were adorable airheads together.

Should have stuck with my original plan to marry Shiro with my Corrin.

Oh, Shiro, I fondly remember you, full of regrets.
No Conquest kid will ever be like you.

Ophelia is freaking awesome though.

Velcro Fly

Birthright is secretly
Takumi
Emblem

I paired him with Hana and I almost wish I hand't since they are both killing machines.

Even more broken when I can get Azura to sing to them and get them a second turn.

Imagine if I actually took the time to grind weapon ranks with Hana she would be even better. She kills anything weak to her weapons with Brass already.

Also this game makes me want to grind all supports like Awakening never did. At least for parents and kids.

Yoshi

I am currently on end-game in Conquest and I have already lost one unit in chapter 27 (Leo). I have a feeling that the final chapter may mean the end to further units. Is there any downside to letting people die but still finish the end chapter (on classic)? Since I have read exp and weapon levels gained are not saved, is it safe to assume deaths aren't saved either?

ChrisD

I am currently on end-game in Conquest and I have already lost one unit in chapter 27 (Leo). I have a feeling that the final chapter may mean the end to further units. Is there any downside to letting people die but still finish the end chapter (on classic)? Since I have read exp and weapon levels gained are not saved, is it safe to assume deaths aren't saved either?

No deaths are saved. You just revert to the save file you had before battling the boss.

You don't get character endings or the satisfaction of a true deathless run.

that's about it, since like Awakening it boots you back to the save before the final chapter(s)

Yoshi

You don't get character endings or the satisfaction of a true deathless run.

that's about it, since like Awakening it boots you back to the save before the final chapter(s)

Thank you both. Regarding true deathless run: That's over since I lost Azurra anyway. I usually accept deaths as long a I don't feel it will bite my ass later (and I think with Azurra I may have guessed wrong).

PK Gaming

I have a feeling my avatar has been unlucky with Defense in Conquest. At 20/5 he has 15 Def. That's 17 with the Grim Yato, and now 19 since I threw a Dracoshield at him. Kana isn't doing too hot in Defense either, but she has a Nohrian Blade and a Dragonstone to compensate. I'm gonna have to boost him for the final stages, I think, but at least he's fast. Only Felicia out-speeds him.

On the fun side, I am liking the Nohr Noble level 5 skill. I thought that sounded familiar after completing Birthright...
"Draconic Hex -4 to all stats to enemies who fight this unit" Isn't that the same thing the final boss had there?
And Kana is just about to get it, too... I feel this could get really important.

15 defense at level 20/5 is slightly below average (with the average being 17, assuming you didn't pick any flaws that lower defense) so you should be good to go, especially if you use tonics. And yeah, Draconic Hex is one of my absolute favorite skills. Extremely versatile and very helpful against some of the tougher bosses in the game. Great for feeding kills to weaker units too.

Dee Dee

I am really late on this, but I laughed very hard.
(I didn't realize you can do this for toooooo long. Gifting the same accessory over and over is such a relaxing way to grind supports.)

Edit: Oh, and you can also gift accessories to castles you visit without losing them! I give everyone the pink barret. EVERYONE.
Enjoy.

Yoshi

I did not realise there are accessories to give away. After 100 hours of gameplay time. This is a really good sign. I like if mechanics that I would certainly not like, just never become apparent to me :D.

kromeo

Just finished chapter 11? on birthright, the one on the boat and with female avatar I've got 13 female characters and 9 male... Doesn't look like there's many still to get in the support menu, is it not possible to marry them all?

McNum

15 defense at level 20/5 is slightly below average (with the average being 17, assuming you didn't pick any flaws that lower defense) so you should be good to go, especially if you use tonics. And yeah, Draconic Hex is one of my absolute favorite skills. Extremely versatile and very helpful against some of the tougher bosses in the game. Great for feeding kills to weaker units too.
I take it that having two Draconic Hex users don't do anything? That is, you can only ever get -4, it doesn't stack, it just refreshes the debuff.

Hm, I wonder... (Boss spoilers) Daconic Hex vs.
Dragonskin
. Does it work? Would make certain enemies quite a lot easier.

PK Gaming

I take it that having two Draconic Hex users don't do anything? That is, you can only ever get -4, it doesn't stack, it just refreshes the debuff.

Hm, I wonder... (Boss spoilers) Daconic Hex vs.
Dragonskin
. Does it work? Would make certain enemies quite a lot easier.

Yeah it doesn't stack. It won't stack with Shuriken / Enfeeble debuffs either.

And yeah, it works

Yoshi

The final mission in Conquest was quite the slaughterfest, lost half of my team and finished the boss on the last round I could possibly have survived, considering all my healers died. I'm quite happy I could complete the whole game with the additional restriction of not ever buying any weapons (other than healing staffs).

Effie was really amazing in my playthrough. At one point she surpassed even Xander in usefullness and she became almost indestructible. Including magic. On the other hand, my usual playstyle of using archers and magicians did not work out so well in Conquest. The level design asked for tanks a lot from my perspective, so Effie and Xander were incredibly important. I have trained three archers to level 20/20 and also two magicians to 20/20 (Nyx, Corrin's wife, and Leo of course) but the usual turnaround point where these units could survive off their own instead of being hidden behind other units never came in this game.

Now, on to Birthright. The first Birthright mission is supremely easy when compared to the first Conquest mission, so I'll wait and see if I'll be as happy with Birthright as I was with Conquest - which was truly amazing. Also, it took me 102 hours, being the first game I reach triple digits with since the GameCube days. If Birthright and Revelations are not considerably shorter / easier, Fates will end up being my most played game ever.

To conclude my comments on Conquest: I feel my valuation of the hardest missions in the game is a bit different than usual, my ranking goes:
endgame

I actually found 26 to be rather easy, at least if one ignores the fact that the boss was a lottery because it would have killed any of my units with a crit, none of my units could kill him in one attack and the one with the lowest probability of being crited, Xanders, still had a (I think) 8% chance of being crited. Luckily, nothing happened to me and I made it through that mission on my first go, which is unusual, considering my absurd play time. I really hate this randomisation stuff and cannot see the value of random events that can enforce a restart. Random cost me a lot of hours in the game, because in only very very few maps of the second half did I find a strategy that always had all my characters at an absolute 0% chance of dieing from crits (including the nasty crits oneself deals out in the enemy phase, opening up the character for more attacks than wanted) or failed attacks.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Started my Lunatic Conquest run. I really liked Chapter 8! Took a few tries to figure out how to get all 3 houses. I ended up sending MU, Elise, Arthur, and Effie up the right side. With Elise's passive and some creative positioning, I was able to deal with the 3 axemen, 4 mages, and the house-visiting dude.

I sent Silas and Jakob onto the lake and I was able to assassinate Flora with Silas's +3 dmg on plains and +3/-3 when MU is under half hp skills. (Getting MU to half whilst not getting one-shot by mages was not easy haha.)

All in all, a really fun map!

Velcro Fly

Got a few more paralogues to go (including grinding up a few pairings from A to S rank)

It is refreshing when you recruit a child unit and can immediately use their seal and they are infinitely more useful than their parent that you have not been using for the entire game.

Just did the one where you get Caeldori. My Subaki was like level 12 or 13 as a Sky Knight so he was virtually useless. Caeldori once upgraded became level 6 of an advanced class and with a Swordcatcher proceeded to fuck up some Heroes on that map.

Also fun to just throw Hinoka solo into a group of magic users and have her just wreck them. I'm used to the fliers from Awakening that were good at everything and it has taken me a little while to get used to Hinoka's strengths and on some maps she isn't that great. But seeing magic users line up to get slaughtered by her as she sits on a choke point and protects Silas and Rinkah and Hana and others it is great.

Jintor

i'm trying to determine when I want to switch over to a complete child only + a few scattered parents team. I just love supports so much more

Fusebox

Banned
Finally got through enough of my mobile backlog to dive into this a few days ago, omg it's so good. I think I might even like it better than Awakenings - and it has feet!

No kids yet, I've got my eye on Hana but she's still a bit cold toward me.

I actually found 26 to be rather easy, at least if one ignores the fact that the boss was a lottery because it would have killed any of my units with a crit, none of my units could kill him in one attack and the one with the lowest probability of being crited, Xanders, still had a (I think) 8% chance of being crited. Luckily, nothing happened to me and I made it through that mission on my first go, which is unusual, considering my absurd play time. I really hate this randomisation stuff and cannot see the value of random events that can enforce a restart. Random cost me a lot of hours in the game, because in only very very few maps of the second half did I find a strategy that always had all my characters at an absolute 0% chance of dieing from crits (including the nasty crits oneself deals out in the enemy phase, opening up the character for more attacks than wanted) or failed attacks.

Yeah, crits are a big part of the reason I'm playing on casual.

Also just because I suck

KiraFA37

So question, around which chapter do you guys usually start getting married? On my first play through of Birthright (hard) I reached the end game without getting anyone married except my avatar. On my current conquest (normal) play through I am at chapter 20 without marriages yet but I'm aiming for a SelenaXAvatar one.

Golnei

Most units on my Birthright file were married between chapters 15 and 20; Conquest started a bit later - especially as far as "real" marriages are concerned, it took until chapter 22 for all the pairings I was going to bother with to happen.

Shinypogs

Started my Lunatic Conquest run. I really liked Chapter 8! Took a few tries to figure out how to get all 3 houses. I ended up sending MU, Elise, Arthur, and Effie up the right side. With Elise's passive and some creative positioning, I was able to deal with the 3 axemen, 4 mages, and the house-visiting dude.

I sent Silas and Jakob onto the lake and I was able to assassinate Flora with Silas's +3 dmg on plains and +3/-3 when MU is under half hp skills. (Getting MU to half whilst not getting one-shot by mages was not easy haha.)

All in all, a really fun map!

Chapter 8 was fun for me because I could wreck all the mages with Niles paired up with odin. It's nice that in his join chapter Niles is both extremely useful and can quickly train his bow rank.

As someone who just beat chapter 23 of conquest on lunatic I wish you well on your journey. It gets a hell of a lot harder but every success is worth fighting through it.

TannerDemoz

Picked up conquest the other day and I'm loving it.

Finding both mages I got to be pretty much useless (Nyx and Odin)

Is it worth class changing on this? I've noticed the new seals, and i'm wondering if I'm missing out on waiting til 20 to upgrade every one rather than changing class at 10 and then upgrading.

Dee Dee

Is it worth class changing on this? I've noticed the new seals, and i'm wondering if I'm missing out on waiting til 20 to upgrade every one rather than changing class at 10 and then upgrading.

Apparently you can turn Odin into a decent sword fighter - train him up for some skills first and S-Rank him to unlock one of your better mage options.

I gave up on Nyx though. Just pair her quickly with someone whose offspring needs a decent magic stat, then never bother again. You'll be better off training Camilla with tomes - no damage, but at least she actually hits!

Elise is my best magic user, but she can take shit all hits. :/

Honestly, don't overthink the master seal - at least if you are playing on hard or lower. The difference between two more levelups and the immediate stat boosts from classing into a subclass is not worth fretting over - it can be worth it to promote at level 18 instead of having them max out on the map and waste XP. Also promoted units with more weapon variety can give you new tactics on a map when your struggling. Don't force yourself to get 2 levels for a healer on a horrible map when you could just promote them to actually help rough up enemies there.

TannerDemoz

Apparently you can turn Odin into a decent sword fighter - train him up for some skills first and S-Rank him to unlock one of your better mage options.

I gave up on Nyx though. Just pair her quickly with someone whose offspring needs a decent magic stat, then never bother again. You'll be better off training Camilla with tomes - no damage, but at least she actually hits!

Elise is my best magic user, but she can take shit all hits. :/

Honestly, don't overthink the master seal - at least if you are playing on hard or lower. The difference between two more levelups and the immediate stat boosts from classing into a subclass is not worth fretting over - it can be worth it to promote at level 18 instead of having them max out on the map and waste XP. Also promoted units with more weapon variety can give you new tactics on a map when your struggling. Don't force yourself to get 2 levels for a healer on a horrible map when you could just promote them to actually help rough up enemies there.

Awesome, thank you!

Yeah, playing through it on hard. Other than chapter 10 I've been finding it alright. Personally found Awakening a lot harder, at least this early on.

Are there any items that protect flyers against bows in this or has that gone now?

Struggling to be arsed with this. Not finding it particularly compelling. Maybe I should have played Conquest first because I just throw the MC into the enemy and watch them all bash their heads against his sword

Awesome, thank you!

Yeah, playing through it on hard. Other than chapter 10 I've been finding it alright. Personally found Awakening a lot harder, at least this early on.

Are there any items that protect flyers against bows in this or has that gone now?

What? Unless you only played Lunatic in Awakening.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Chapter 8 was fun for me because I could wreck all the mages with Niles paired up with odin. It's nice that in his join chapter Niles is both extremely useful and can quickly train his bow rank.

As someone who just beat chapter 23 of conquest on lunatic I wish you well on your journey. It gets a hell of a lot harder but every success is worth fighting through it.
Thanks! I'm excited to try the infamous chapter 10 (or 12?) whichever the defend map is.

Yoshi

I made Nyx "my" wife in Conquest, so I was attached to her and trained her up to 20/20. She was a one-hit-victim right to the end of the game, so I always had to have her protected. She was also seriously outclassed by Leo in every regard. In the end, however, she killed the final boss. Currently on Hoshido (wtf, does this campaign ever get reasonably difficult?) I'm working on making Corrin marry Rinkah. Since I have heard numerous times she has awful strength growth, she will probably be another case of "eye candy dead weight" in my team.

I made Nyx "my" wife in Conquest, so I was attached to her and trained her up to 20/20. She was a one-hit-victim right to the end of the game, so I always had to have her protected. She was also seriously outclassed by Leo in every regard. In the end, however, she killed the final boss. Currently on Hoshido (wtf, does this campaign ever get reasonably difficult?) I'm working on making Corrin marry Rinkah. Since I have heard numerous times she has awful strength growth, she will probably be another case of "eye candy dead weight" in my team.
Rinkah's strength growth is 45% which is fine, especially since her personal skill is basically free +4.

However the real fun is giving her the Spirit Dusts and nuking everything with magic as an Oni Chieftain.

Top Bottom