• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the new Lara Croft

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Crystal Dynamics has released a new artwork for its upcoming Unreal Engine 5-powered Tomb Raider game

Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider.jpeg

This image was a members-only, exclusive artwork wallpaper from the official TR site.
In 2022, Crystal Dynamics officially revealed this upcoming Tomb Raider game but sadly, we don’t know much about it. The game is using the Unreal Engine 5 and will most likely only target current-gen consoles and PC.

Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider-2.jpg

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Crystal Dynamics has released a new artwork for its upcoming Unreal Engine 5-powered Tomb Raider game

Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider.jpeg

This image was a members-only, exclusive artwork wallpaper from the official TR site.
In 2022, Crystal Dynamics officially revealed this upcoming Tomb Raider game but sadly, we don’t know much about it. The game is using the Unreal Engine 5 and will most likely only target current-gen consoles and PC.

Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider-2.jpg

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
They should add unlockable costume ,sexy ones like stellar blade

CamHostage

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
4Nyahsk.jpg
co3lq1.jpg

There's a history of putting Lara Croft denotations on the box. It goes back to disagreements at developer Core of what this franchise would be; some thought "Tomb Raider" was the brand, with different ancient locales to raid in each new adventure; others thought that Lara Croft herself was the franchise, and the follow-up titles would have different names and maybe even be totally different genres and settings of games centered around this figure (like sort of a digital movie star acting in different roles). Somehow the franchise ended up with both and neither, with Lara skipping tombs more and more in later games but the brand still being Tomb Raider (or more specifically "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" in many title treatments).

I don't know if that's specifically the reason why the new game has that title, but "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" never took off (though I don't know if that ever mattered; the title has mostly been "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" since the PS2 games and Jolie movies, but pretty much nobody ever calls them that or files the products under "L" on their shelves,) and maybe there's some legal or logistical reason to brand it that way (the recent prequel/reimaging series just called itself "Tomb Raider" and then used subtitles or surrounding titles, but this is specifically a throwback'y way of treating the title even though TR1-5 on PS1 never had exactly this "...Featuring Lara Croft" subtitle.) It seems purposefully specific to Croft rather than a hint of alternative characters.

(*I believe only Angel of Darkness and then the 3/4 topdown multiplayer spinoffs had other playable characters? Would be surprising if this had somebody other than Croft, though I suppose it's possible?)

Last edited:
This is a nod to the titling of the OG games that were just rereleased, which may be lampshading that this game in development is a modern remake of the original title(s). This would also give them the wiggle room to decide if they want to reboot the franchise yet again, or if we're continuing on from after Shadow Of The Tomb Raider.

i forgot which one, but i think it's under square?
Yeah that’s Lara from the reboot. Better fashion sense, less sex appeal.

images

e6f0d0a0219849713e3c4a87baa6d66a.jpg

Some people here didn’t like the character redesign due to her breasts being a smaller size. Her design grew on me after the first game, but my main issue with the reboot series was that it stood proudly in the shadow of Uncharted’s gameplay.

FeralEcho

Her face looks kinda manly but after Mary jawline watson I'll take what I can.

The rest looks good, I'm surprised they even gave her tits in this day and age given its Crystal Dynamics we're talking about here but I'm sure there's some hidden ethical message about not offending people with back problems or some shit remark about it being sexist somewhere on the artwork,we just have to find it.

Perrott

Gold Member
Meh, I like the 2013 reboot (not including the sequels) design better.

This one looks too stylized in the wrong way, like a Fortnite character.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I wonder how many hours were spent deciding on how big to make the titties. I'm going to guess at least 300.
can only imagine the scene around the crystal dynamics boardroom table, bunch of purple haired fucks that ticked all the diversity boxes sitting front and center debating jawline, muscle density, trans/nottrans, gender swapping, racial swapping... meanwhile at the back a bunch of dudes are just thinking make her titties bigger

Lambhalf

She looks terrible. Why is her neck like that? What's weird about the body? This was made by a professional?

Thats a bloke for fucks sake :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Her face looks kinda manly but after Mary jawline watson I'll take what I can.
Looks like Leon S Kennedy.
Trans Friendly Lara
her face is kinda looks like a man, i see dante face there, i don't know why. maybe just me...
That is the face of a man. You can't convince me otherwise.

Alright, I can already predict where this thread is heading, just have to wait for those with opposing opinions to start appearing. I hope to see some funny debate points made about jawlines on women. Oh and I also expect to see pictures posted of Abby, Aloy, and Hayley Atwell.

Have fun gentlemen, and remember:
3eb4ae7c-065e-43c0-8214-1e8848da884e_text.gif

Edit:
There's also a touch from TLOU 2's Abby
First part of the bingo card complete.

Last edited:

CamHostage

...my main issue with the reboot series was that it stood proudly in the shadow of Uncharted’s gameplay.

It baffled me that the response to Indiana Jones The Great Circle was partly, "It should be like Uncharted because that's how jungle adventure games are made." Sure, first-person perspective in a character-centric action game is a curious choice (not unprecedented, but it'll take some getting used to even if it works,) but Uncharted did not invent the jungle adventurer game concept in any way.

Somehow Lara Croft stepped where Drake stepped (which made sense at the time, never my fave choice but Uncharted was exclusive to one platform and TR was on other platforms plus that gunplay system was becoming ubiquitous in 3rd-Person games,) but it's not like a slew of other jungle adventure games like Uncharted had come out to cement TPS/stop-and-pop/context-sensitive hero action as the one and only way to treat this setting. And meanwhile, there had previously been at least 20 Indy games which played pretty much nothing like Uncharted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom