• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the new Lara Croft

Jesb

What does this mean? I was happy with the reboot they already did. Are they gonna ignore everything they did with 2013 reboot?

Crayon

Now that I think about it, I've never seen a more (not totally) realistic interpretation of lara that evokes her original face. Maybe it was just too stylized for that.

Here's the original:
actor-lara-croft-original-timeline-170112_large.jpg

Here's tomb raider legend that does it perfectly for how far they are taking it:
Tomb_Raider_-_Legend.png

But I wonder if you could go another step or two more realistic from there. 2013 tries I think, but doesn't look that recognizable to the original.

eurogamer-qu5jx6.jpg

There was a model that they used to use for promotions named Rhona Mitra and she might look as close to the original as a real person can get.

3362560-rhonamitra2.jpg

tommycronin

Banned
Nothing fucked up about it. Outside of Gaf's "THAT'S A MAN BABY!" response to her face, the internet's reaction to her returning to her OG outfit was very positive.

If you dressed up as Survivor Lara and walked around Times Square, nobody would know who you are. But you throw on her OG outfit, tons of people across the entire globe would either know who you are, or at least recognize it. Her OG design is that iconic. So if people want her to return to that style, I don't see a problem with this.
So if the last 3 games they made for her had her wearing her old get up things would have gone down a lot differently you think?

Umbral

Its a lose lose situation. I think its fucked up that people want a female character to go back to using certain clothes from 20+ years ago. I think we have more pressing priorities than that.
People are looking for any reason to be optimistic about the new Tomb Raider. The developers, and modern developers in general, have demonstrated they don’t know how to make games and most seem to want to make movies with stuff to do in between the cutscenes. Can you blame people for being excited about some turquoise and shorts when that’s likely the most they’ll get?
So if the last 3 games they made for her had her wearing her old get up things would have gone down a lot differently you think?
If you’re pointing to the gameplay, then you’re dead on. They’re unlikely to deliver a quality game, as I said above.

Madflavor

That's a dumb question, and I know you're attempting to make a point here, but people enjoy the visuals to a character. If fans prefer one design of a character over another, that deserves consideration. In the case of Lara, even to this day when she guest stars in other games like Brawlhala, Fornite, or Call of Duty, she's wearing her iconic getup.

People are looking for any reason to be optimistic about the new Tomb Raider. The developers, and modern developers in general, have demonstrated they don’t know how to make games and most seem to want to make movies with stuff to do in between the cutscenes. Can you blame people for being excited about some turquoise and shorts when that’s likely the most they’ll get?

If you’re pointing to the gameplay, then you’re dead on. They’re unlikely to deliver a quality game, as I said above.

Crystal Dynamics has a pretty good track record with their Tomb Raider games. The last two they worked on scored about 85 on MC/OC. I didn't like the writing or the depiction of Lara in the Survivor Trilogy, but the gameplay of TR13 and Rise were very good. Not my style of Tomb Raider, but on their own merit they were very well made games, especially Rise.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Or they could go a different route and make it deliberately cartoony (my mate and I have been spending the day generating alternative takes of Lara Croft):

Mine:

f46b91cc-737a-4bc6-87fc-d38cba591462.webp

328b75ac-d0da-47bd-864d-2742eaf170cc.webp

My mate generated an awesome in-game BotW inspired image, courtesy of Stable Diffusion et al. but I don't have his permission to share it.

SnapShot

UPDATE: Unified Lara Croft will not be Lara Croft's design in the next game

Those responsible for the development of the new Tomb Raider report that it does not correspond to the design that Lara Croft will have in the video game. This is what those responsible have clarified to us in statements issued to Vandal (Spanish medium), where they assure that the wallpaper actually shows a "unified vision" of Lara Croft.

In addition to clarifying that the new image of Tomb Raider does not necessarily represent the appearance that Lara will have in the new game, those responsible for the project have warned that they are not yet prepared to share details of the next installment of this beloved franchise. The only thing we know at an official level is that it is being developed in Unreal Engine 5 and that it seeks to remain faithful to the origins of the saga by taking us to "an environment that rewards creative exploration, challenging puzzles and a wide variety of enemies to which face"

Source (Spanish media after having spoken with CD) : https://vandal.elespanol.com/notici...lentendido-con-el-nuevo-diseno-de-lara-croft/

(gimme more Rise Lara pls)

Last edited:

Sorcerer

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
They must somehow believe that "Lara Croft" is actually bigger/more iconic than "Tomb Raider". Debatable, I guess.

Sorcerer

Or they could go a different route and make it deliberately cartoony (my mate and I have been spending the day generating alternative takes of Lara Croft):

Mine:

My mate generated an awesome in-game BotW inspired image, courtesy of Stable Diffusion et al. but I don't have his permission to share it.
This is an amazing idea. I'd be all over this. It should be attempted at least once. Let them hire you as the art director Lord Panda.

Last edited:

Kupfer

AI that makes realistic chars out of low resolution polygonal chars.

That's basically how actual lara croft should look like.

Picsart_23-12-06_14-59-46-017-2.jpg
This picture in particular looks like HL2 vanilla vs cinematic mod - eerily out of place.

Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 1996 should be around 28, but has way more mature vibes.
I would like to see her more mature and confident again, like the original picture in this thread suggests.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm in the minority it looks like but I actually liked the character from the last few games, especially the first reboot game in what ... 2015? To me it was more realistic, more feminine, not over exaggerated. We'll see if this is the final look and who knows how it will all come together.

Umbral

Crystal Dynamics has a pretty good track record with their Tomb Raider games. The last two they worked on scored about 85 on MC/OC. I didn't like the writing or the depiction of Lara in the Survivor Trilogy, but the gameplay of TR13 and Rise were very good. Not my style of Tomb Raider, but on their own merit they were very well made games, especially Rise.
People can like what they like, but I think the new trilogy is an embarrassment. I guess we can agree on it not being my type of Tomb Raider either. I hope they knock it out of the park with the new one, but I don’t believe they will. I would love to be wrong.

Mine:

Generated. Disgusting. You don’t have his permission to share an image he didn’t make?
This is an amazing idea. I'd be all over this. It should be attempted at least once. Let them hire you as the art director Lord Panda.
They should hire the AI. He didn’t make anything.

Madflavor

People can like what they like, but I think the new trilogy is an embarrassment. I guess we can agree on it not being my type of Tomb Raider either. I hope they knock it out of the park with the new one, but I don’t believe they will. I would love to be wrong.

My issues with the Survivor Trilogy were they took themselves way too seriously. No dinosaurs, lack of animal or fantastical enemies, no dual pistols, and the storyline after TR13 was boring bullshit. Lara was the furthest thing from the iconic archeologist we knew her as. No wit, no charm, no sass, was 1/10th of the acrobat that Classic/Legend Lara were, and didn't have her dual pistols. The only redeeming quality about her is that she was hot, but so were the last two iterations.

But that all being said, I can't lie to myself and say if you remove the Tomb Raider aspect of these games, they weren't well made on their own merit. Not so much Shadow, but TR13 and Rise are legit good games. They're just bad Tomb Raider games.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Generated. Disgusting. You don’t have his permission to share an image he didn’t make?

They should hire the AI. He didn’t make anything.
Did someone kick you in the balls today, mate? You're coming off as one needlessly abrasive cunt.

CD doesn't need to hire the 'AI'; they can just run their own AI/models or subscribe to one like everyone else, which I'm sure they are.

Umbral

Did someone kick you in the balls today, mate? You're coming off as one needlessly abrasive cunt.

CD doesn't need to hire the 'AI'; they can just run their own AI/models or subscribe to one like everyone else, which I'm sure they are.
I’m very abrasive when it comes to this topic. AI will kill companies, so I think it will shake out in favor of beings with souls in the end. Race to the bottom, in my eyes. Enjoy ”consuming content.”

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I’m very abrasive when it comes to this topic. AI will kill companies, so I think it will shake out in favor of beings with souls in the end. Race to the bottom, in my eyes. Enjoy ”consuming content.”

I hold a more optimistic view, believing that this will empower these beings with souls with enhanced tools to bring their visions to life. While I partially concur with your cynicism regarding corporations exploiting AI to the detriment of people and the industry, I genuinely believe that AI will enable indies and smaller studios, to achieve results far beyond their conventional capabilities, effectively leveling the playing field.

hussar16

Now that I think about it, I've never seen a more (not totally) realistic interpretation of lara that evokes her original face. Maybe it was just too stylized for that.

Here's the original:
actor-lara-croft-original-timeline-170112_large.jpg

Here's tomb raider legend that does it perfectly for how far they are taking it:
Tomb_Raider_-_Legend.png

But I wonder if you could go another step or two more realistic from there. 2013 tries I think, but doesn't look that recognizable to the original.

eurogamer-qu5jx6.jpg

There was a model that they used to use for promotions named Rhona Mitra and she might look as close to the original as a real person can get.

3362560-rhonamitra2.jpg
The new one unreal engine 5 looks like to manly

Top Bottom