• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the new Lara Croft

It baffled me that the response to Indiana Jones The Great Circle was partly, "It should be like Uncharted because that's how jungle adventure games are made." Sure, first-person perspective in a character-centric action game is a curious choice (not unprecedented, but it'll take some getting used to even if it works,) but Uncharted did not invent the jungle adventurer game concept in any way. Somehow Lara Croft stepped where Jones stepped (which made sense at the time, never my fave choice but Uncharted was exclusive to one platform and TR was on other platforms plus that gunplay system was becoming ubiquitous in 3rd-Person games,) but before that, there were at least 20 Indy games which played pretty much nothing like Uncharted.
They will change their mind once it’s good/fun. That’s mainly what a game needs to be to change minds.

I also wanted the Wolverine game to be first person, just to separate it from Spiderman and God of War, but the leaks have already revealed the behind the back camera.

tommib

Vg8Hc01.jpg

Thats a bloke for fucks sake :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You people have lost it. Forever.

CamHostage

(on Indiana Jones and the Great Circle being different from TR/Uncharted) They will change their mind once it’s good/fun. That’s mainly what a game needs to be to change minds.

I mean, I don't personally love the first-person Indy, but I'm okay with it, whatever works. (The perspective sometimes fatigues my eyes but then there's people on the team who did great work in the Riddick game in that perspective, plus it promises to be an original take just from it not being able to use the same tricks as compatriots, so I hope it's good.)

...Either way though, there was this weird assumption that the Indy Bethesda game would be an Uncharted clone. I don't get that. Indy has had 20 different gaming adventures (at least 3 of which were in 3D, plus the Lego Indiana Jones games in their own style) and none of them were first-person yet all of them played completely differently from how Uncharted and recent TR games play.

This new Tomb Raider will hopefully also break whatever mold there is in this genre and will either be more of a TR 1-5/Anniversary style game or find its own fun way to play.

Last edited:

Exede

Ahm i dont know how to explain this better but ahm yes... She looks like Leon Kennedy Cosplaying Lara Croft to me.

Pejo

???
It's literally the same exact design.

Not talking about the face because that's not going to look 1:1 with the artwork anyway.
I'd argue it's less the design and more the outfit. In your example she's obviously more masculine in musculature, a less feminine face that looks angry, smaller tits, etc. That's all a part of the design.

The outfit is the same though, I agree.

It baffled me that the response to Indiana Jones The Great Circle was partly, "It should be like Uncharted because that's how jungle adventure games are made." Sure, first-person perspective in a character-centric action game is a curious choice (not unprecedented, but it'll take some getting used to even if it works,) but Uncharted did not invent the jungle adventurer game concept in any way.

Somehow Lara Croft stepped where Drake stepped (which made sense at the time, never my fave choice but Uncharted was exclusive to one platform and TR was on other platforms plus that gunplay system was becoming ubiquitous in 3rd-Person games,) but it's not like a slew of other jungle adventure games like Uncharted had come out to cement TPS/stop-and-pop/context-sensitive hero action as the one and only way to treat this setting. And meanwhile, there had previously been at least 20 Indy games which played pretty much nothing like Uncharted.
I think the issue is more that when Uncharted: Drakes Fortune came on the scene in 2007, while it was one of the strongest PS3 titles at that game, many widely criticized it for being a more cinematic version of the Tomb Raider games, which was obviously a fair criticism IMO. Naughty Dog continued to iterate on the games, refining the writing, gameplay, setpieces, etc. and the Uncharted series got better and better.

Then in 2013, Tomb Raider got rebooted into what was basically an M-rated version of Uncharted. This was widely criticized by many as while the game was by no means bad, it was now copying the franchise that copied it to begin with. The trend-setter had become the trend-chaser. Indiana Jones And The Great Circle is clearly inspired by both but is at least showing some iteration with the first person perspective. Which I'm assuming will work as Machinegames has a pretty good track record with only a few dark spots but we'll see when it releases later this year.

Uncharted did not invent the jungle adventure genre in video games, but it's taken the crown and been the trendsetter ever since Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was released in 2009.

Last edited:

nbkicker

As long as they keep sweet baby inc away from this project and keep lbgt out of this game and concentrate on making a game without trying to shove politics in yr face

Hmm, not sure about this. Something seems slightly "off" about it.

Regardless, if this is any indication that they are steering away from the reboots, and returning to the puzzle-platforming-TPS formula the series were once know for, then they're on the right path though.

00_Zer0

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
Because she is not portrayed as a solo adventurer this time making the awful leaked rumors sound more likely.

Then you have the organization that Crystal Dynamics is blatantly promoting on this new website called the Society of Raiders. This sounds lame. It seems with Crystal Dynamics pandering to all groups they may not please anyone. Her new design is not the worst, but it doesn't stand out as a memorable character much like how boring her art design was in the "Survivor" trilogy. Her face is not feminine enough and she looks angry, which is off putting. She is also too short with her proportions being off. The shorts paying homage to the original design looks cringe on this character model.

I will wait to see how it turns out, but I don't have much faith in Crystal Dynamics, and I am not going to be distracted by beautiful graphics. If the gameplay or the storyline are shit I will skip the new unified universe of games.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

- still hot
- still has boobs in tight shirt
- still wears short shorts
- still long dark hair in a ponytail
- still the classic akimbo pistol move
- no little trans flag or whatever on the backpack

Looks great! What's not to love?
wait for the game

Gojiira

Yeah that’s Lara from the reboot. Better fashion sense, less sex appeal.

images

e6f0d0a0219849713e3c4a87baa6d66a.jpg

Some people here didn’t like the character redesign due to her breasts being a smaller size. Her design grew on me after the first game, but my main issue with the reboot series was that it stood proudly in the shadow of Uncharted’s gameplay.
She looked great in the first TR reboot though, she had big tits and a pretty face…Then they toned her down for Rise and Shadow….

Saber

Gold Member
The structure of the body, even with not so big breasts, seems to be in the right direction. Same with the outfit.
The face though...looks masculine imo because of the hardness and the chin.

Last edited:

fatmarco

She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
I could have bad news for you. The most recent leak for this game (which included a script for casting) had her teaming up with 2 other playable characters, and there was an implication that one of those characters would take over the franchise :

They did a DMCA takedown of the video of Colin Moriarty reading out the script, but someone re-uploaded it:

That being said this could be old information, as that key art looks like remake, which is a bit redundant as they've done a remake already with Anniversary and they have the remastered version.

EDIT:

Actually it seems in line with the leaks, Sequel that unites the Survivor trilogy with the OG trilogy. Same Lara from Shadow but now shes the Tomb Raider from the first game, hence the T Rex.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I could have bad news for you. The most recent leak for this game (which included a script for casting) had her teaming up with 2 other playable characters, and there was an implication that one of those characters would take over the franchise :

They did a DMCA takedown of the video of Colin Moriarty reading out the script, but someone re-uploaded it:

Also featuring yet another "arrogant but absolutely mediocre male" character hahah.

Post a summary, the latest remaster has me intrigued.
I dont mind them experimenting.

But the perfect game would be one designed around that remaster similar gameplay and looks and just a new adventure with modern graphics.

Sort of like the latest Sonic games.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

That being said this could be old information, as that key art looks like remake, which is a bit redundant as they've done a remake already with Anniversary and they have the remastered version.

Sounds terrible so it must be true.

Lol, I can't believe some people are taking the bait.

Also, if she belongs to a group of raiders, I already can predict her likely love interest, which will play a big role in the "story".

fatmarco

Post a summary, the latest remaster has me intrigued.
I dont mind them experimenting.

But the perfect game would be one designed around that remaster similar gameplay and looks and just a new adventure with modern graphics.

Sort of like the latest Sonic games.
From the leak:

"Lara Croft is now at the top of her game," reads the script for the character. "Gone are the days of the young, inexperienced woman dealing with matters of legacy and familial reckoning. Lara has fully let go of her childhood and embraced a life of adventure and purpose."
"Lara has become lonely at the top," further adds the script. "The beginning of this next chapter presents Lara with a quintessential adult problem; facing something too big to handle alone. On this new adventure, Lara will encounter a challenge she can only overcome with a team at her side.""

What I don't understand is why they're recasting her if it's meant to be a continuation of the previous Lara? Maybe to give her that stronger, tougher character the original Lara had?

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Kind of funny classic ps1 Lara was essentially too much plastic surgery bimbo archetype with big fake tits, brazilian butt lift and lip injections.

T-0800

Hopefully this new game does not contain references to cultures rooted in racial and ethnic prejudices. These stereotypes are deeply harmful, inexcusable, and do not align with the values at Crystal Dynamics.
Hopefully. The farm takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea. I might not be able to devote myself full time to the ol' racism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom