• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at the new Lara Croft

Aenima

Having Lara in her original outfit in shorts with dual guns is good news if true. Dont remember the last time i saw Lara wearing shorts. Poor woman crotch must look like a rosbeef for all the long pants in tropical weather she been wearing in the latest games.

At least she maintained a feminine sexy look. Imagine if certain people had their way and made her 200 plus pounds and more ‘manly’. I am sure the woke mob will be attacking this design choice either way.

BaneIsPain

Which writer this time they use as a reference?

season 4 GIF

00_Zer0

So I used faceapp to see if I could improve it, just click on gender and clicked female as everyone was saying it looked like a dude
bYUhDqB.jpg
digjkDy.jpg

Big difference I think
Then I thought, does the original really look like a dude?
So I clicked male and...
Q7SRkCF.jpg

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU
zi72FxB.gif

No doubt about it. More masculine features are being accentuated in the original art than softer more feminine features. I think it's clear what Crystal Dynamics is going for here and it certainly isn't pretty.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
Its 2024 mate.. and they gave her real woman BOOBS!!! , so obviously they have to get a minority spanish/black lgbtq+ character to counter balance the insult of making her look like a beautiful woman.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
She looks great BUT why the 'featuring Lara Croft' tag line? We know who she is. They better not pull any multiple character bs for this.
They use to do "Starring Lara Croft"
bAYrE9r.jpg

Maybe it's something similar
I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and maybe the in game Lara looks better, but they also released this
nBvUynn.jpg

It's like they're giving you what you want but with a catch 🤨

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
U1IUwMy.jpg

I saw the thread over on the other site, typical 'sexiness bad' shite, but what IS actually wrong with 'wanting this' if you did?

What even is that train of thought? Why can't Lara look sexy?

How do you even get to a point of thinking women can't and shouldn't be sexy or nicer looking?

It's all very odd.

Definitely less soft in the face compared to previous designs, but its not horrible like some redesigns we've seen. She still essentially looks like Lara Croft.

midnightAI

U1IUwMy.jpg

I saw the thread over on the other site, typical 'sexiness bad' shite, but what IS actually wrong with 'wanting this' if you did?

How do you even get to a point of thinking women can't and shouldn't be sexy or nicer looking?

It's all very odd.
So you'd rather her look like she's full of make up ready for a night on the town?

The original looks better than this supposedly fixed image

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
U1IUwMy.jpg

It's all very odd.

Remember, if it is a sexy, thick and beefy man who looks like an Adonis and they are absolutely badass and self-sufficient that is a Male Power Fantasy. Clearly no women want to see hot dudes.

If it is a sexy, lithe and beautiful woman that is self-sufficient, bad-ass, and takes no shit while looking good doing it? That is designed for the male gaze. Clearly no women want to be empowered to be both beautiful and badass.

Last edited:

midnightAI

That wasn't my point.

So what if she does, or doesn't. It's a fucking computer game.
And my point is people are saying they fixed something by making it look worse, I know its a computer game but it doesnt work well with Tomb Raider in my opinion, shes supposed to get covered in dirt, not look like she just put make up on. You want that type of look you can still have that in other games, look at Stellar Blade, it fits the aesthetic they are going for.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Remember, if it is a sexy, thick and beefy man who looks like an Adonis and they are absolutely badass and self-sufficient that is a Male Power Fantasy. Clearly no women want to see hot dudes.

If it is a sexy, lithe and beautiful woman that is self-sufficient, bad-ass, and takes no shit while looking good doing it? That is designed for the male gaze. Clearly no women want to be empowered to be both beautiful and badass.
I know, the hypocrisy is through the roof though. Check out most women on Instagram, or how Magic Mike was a 'great film'

Yet certain wet wipe types think these norms are somehow terrible and must be hidden, destroyed or vilified somehow. But, why?

If it is for even the most basic thing as a male gaze', why is that even a bad thing in a computer game..

When did even basic norms become some point of contention?

We really are living in cuckoo times.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
And my point is people are saying they fixed something by making it look worse, I know its a computer game but it doesnt work well with Tomb Raider in my opinion, shes supposed to get covered in dirt, not look like she just put make up on. You want that type of look you can still have that in other games, look at Stellar Blade, it fits the aesthetic they are going for.

Lara Croft was always a beautiful character who did badass things without breaking a sweat. That was literally the point of her character throughout the first... 5? 7? games. It wasn't until the reboot where she got super dirty and grimy, but even then they still tried to make her moderately attractive.

This current design? Its like they want to make her look man-ish. The "fix" is certainly an improvement.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I know I know!

It's all just so weird to me. Maybe I've lived too long :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I know, the hypocrisy is through the roof though. Check out most women on Instagram, or how Magic Mike was a 'great film'

Yet certain wet wipe types think these norms are somehow terrible and must be hidden, destroyed or vilified somehow. But, why?

If it is for even the most basic thing as a male gaze', why is that even a bad thing in a computer game..

When did even basic norms become some point of contention?

We really are living in cuckoo times.

I honestly don't believe most of the people complaining about the "sexualization" are women. I think most are incels trying desperately to play the "good guy" to get some while remaining blue-balled until they out themselves as predators. A few probably are women, but the ugly, bitter, and sad ones jealous that people care about looks while they put zero effort into theirs.

midnightAI

Lara Croft was always a beautiful character who did badass things without breaking a sweat. That was literally the point of her character throughout the first... 5? 7? games. It wasn't until the reboot where she got super dirty and grimy, but even then they still tried to make her moderately attractive.

This current design? Its like they want to make her look man-ish. The "fix" is certainly an improvement.
I honestly dont get where people are saying she's man-ish, so weird, I think that fix just looks stupid, like I said, dolled up with makeup like she's going clubbing.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I honestly dont get where people are saying she's man-ish, so weird, I think that fix just looks stupid, like I said, dolled up with makeup like she's going clubbing.

Oh it certainly isn't the best choice, but it is better than the Larry Croft they had shown. Even something like Shelly from Ion Fury looks feminine, sexy, and badass. You don't need remove feminine features and emphasis masculine ones to make a character look strong.

Winter John

Gold Member
Strong jawline. Big tits. Firm handshake. Nice ass. Things sure are confusing these days. It’s a fuckin minefield out there. Still, I’m good as long as she don’t have a bigger package than mine.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I honestly don't believe most of the people complaining about the "sexualization" are women. I think most are incels trying desperately to play the "good guy" to get some while remaining blue-balled until they out themselves as predators. A few probably are women, but the ugly, bitter, and sad ones jealous that people care about looks while they put zero effort into theirs.
It does seem to be that way most of the time, even thinking about people being that way weirds me out a bit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just keep in mind, if you're going to use this argument, you can't get mad if they use that same argument when devs prominently feature black and brown people in games about knights and nordic culture, or a female soldier with a prosthetic as a protagonist in a Battlefield game.

🤷‍♂️
I don't think the point was ever 'There be black people in maa games, get the noose'

The point people get mad over is when characters are race swapped when they don't need to be. Some of the best games feature black people. Shadow Man for example, love it or hate it, I think it was one of the best games in thirty years

And therein lies another problem. Why can't we just have good written 'original' games these days that feature a black, Asian, Japanese character?

Why are they all written with utterly infantile scripts?

Where are the current day Shadow men games?

Cool, the dev raced swapped an I.P (That's original) yay, but not only that, it's written for five year olds..

It's depressing as fuck.

I don't think the point was ever 'There be black people in maa games, get the noose'

The point people get mad over is when characters are race swapped when they don't need to be. Some of the best games feature black people. Shadow Man for example, love it or hate it, I think it was one of the best games in thirty years

And therein lies another problem. Why can't we just have good written 'original' games these days that feature a black, Asian, Japanese character?

Why are they all written with utterly infantile scripts?

Where are the current day Shadow men games?

Cool, the dev raced swapped an I.P (That's original) yay, but not only that, it's written for five year olds..

It's depressing as fuck.
You're missing the point of what you're doing here. To illustrate, regarding all of what you've typed above they can, and will, simply say this:

So what if she does, or doesn't. It's a fucking computer game.

The ultimate point is that it's either one of two things...everyone can get everything because it's simply a computer game, or we all get nothing because everyone wants to gatekeep. These half measures and double standards are what's the problem and what leads to these arguments.

So while people could potentially agree with your notion that, hey, maybe Lara could just be a sexy video game adventurer and she can look pristine in makeup with tons of skin showing while adventuring in caves, jungles, and dirt(much like the protagonists of Stellar Blade, Bayonetta, or Nier Automata), then you have to agree with them wanting race swapping, more average/less model-esque characters, multi colored haired protagonists, or disabled/prosthetic protagonists in games of different cultures or action games.

If no one can find a way to agree on anything(and not be greedy enough to want every game to contain exactly what they want), then no one gets anything they want, and everyone continues to argue. And that's what keeps happening.

Edit: Anyway, I think I have a target on my back today. If you want to discuss this further I'm open to a private conversation. Otherwise I can't really post here.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
You're missing the point of what you're doing here. To illustrate, regarding all of what you've typed above they can, and will, simply say this:

The ultimate point is that it's either one of two things...everyone can get everything because it's simply a computer game, or we all get nothing because everyone wants to gatekeep. These half measures and double standards are what's the problem and what leads to these arguments.

So while people could potentially agree with your notion that, hey, maybe Lara could just be a sexy video game adventurer and she can look pristine in makeup with tons of skin showing while adventuring in caves, jungles, and dirt(much like the protagonists of Stellar Blade, Bayonetta, or Nier Automata), then you have to agree with them wanting race swapping, more average/less model-esque characters, multi colored haired protagonists, or disabled/prosthetic protagonists in games of different cultures or action games.

If no one can find a way to agree on anything(and not be greedy enough to want every game to contain exactly what they want), then no one gets anything they want, and everyone continues to argue. And that's what keeps happening.
I'll be honest with you March Climber March Climber

I'm currrently drunk, so you'll have to excuse my double standards that come across. But yes, I do agree with you and thinking about it, You're right!

There really is no right or wrong here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I get what you're saying and what I'm saying really is coming across as hypocritical.

For christ sake. I just want some good games, a bit of eye candy and a well written script

Yeah yeah, I am shallow, but I do want the good stuff too!

There is a fallacy when someone justifies something that doesn't make sense in "just being a videogame" or fantasy. Fantasy worlds have rules and most things work the same way as in ours. If something is different, the author has to explain how and why. For example, A black Nordic is as stupid as rain falling upward. In a place with no sun, people have pale skin. That is an absolute, in fantasy and real life.

Likewise, the female characters you mentioned (Eve, Bayonetta, 2B) are NOT HUMAN. They are superwomen, so they can be as beautiful and pristine as they like and still be "realistic" within the boundaries of a made-up universe. It makes sense.

Lara Croft being beautiful and feminine doesn't contradict her adventurer character. Yes, throughout the game she may get injured, dirty, smeared, or whatever the hell and still be gorgeous. One thing doesn't conflict with the other. So there is a false analogy when comparing Lara to 2B or Bayonetta. One is human, the others are superhuman.

Lara Croft doesn't need to look like Abby or Aloy.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Vg8Hc01.jpg

Thats a bloke for fucks sake :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I actually showed my wife this shot earlier. She knows nothing of any of this, she hates gaming and has zero interest in any of this modern day guff. She did have a go of the original Tomb raider in the 90's though, and a bit of Sonic. That's her gaming life.

I held it up, told her it's a mock up of the new Lara Croft

Do you know know what she said?

"That looks a bit masculine"

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

It wasnt just me then.

Last edited:

Elios83

The face is a bit too masculine, maybe she's hiding a secret that will be revealed in this game, the true Last Revelation :pie_roffles:

But seriously I'm more interested about the game than how she looks...Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider were really by the numbers games. And please just make an interesting adventurous story. Enough with family traumas and other bullshit.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To be fair the actual Lara in TR2013 never looked like this so maybe there's hope
PV8189L.jpg

I also came across this while reading about how excited fans are about the new Lara design (and I've been on Tomb Raider Forums.... they're not) and I saw this comment on PCgamer
The backstory of "Survivor" Lara is completely different than the posh upbringing of "Classic" Lara, who was also a less heroic figure and more of a selfish thrill-seeker.
While I don't disagree that Classic Lara was thrill-seeker I also don't agree Survivor Lara was Heroic.
She was a selfish wrecking ball and everything is about her and she killed many people in the process to reach her own selfish goals
That's not a hero

Madflavor

To be fair the actual Lara in TR2013 never looked like this so maybe there's hope
PV8189L.jpg

I also came across this while reading about how excited fans are about the new Lara design (and I've been on Tomb Raider Forums.... they're not) and I saw this comment on PCgamer

While I don't disagree that Classic Lara was thrill-seeker I also don't agree Survivor Lara was Heroic.
She was a selfish wrecking ball and everything is about her and she killed many people in the process to reach her own selfish goals
That's not a hero

Yeah I kinda see that as the opposite. That concept art of Lara from 2013 was perfect, and the in-game model wasn't as good looking. I mean she was good looking, but not as good as the art. So my concern is that the model in the game will look worse than the digital art that got released.

While I don't agree with some people that the new Unified Lara has a masculine face (although it definitely needs to be more feminine), I am almost fully expecting that the model in the game will suffer from Man-Face Syndrome. Western Game Developers just don't make beautiful women anymore. I think I said in another thread a month ago that it's a sad state of affairs when Aloy is the best looking woman that western game studios have developed these past few years. If Lara Croft isn't allowed to be a 10 anymore, then I think the West has truly lost the plot. I see women in every day life that are so much better looking than what they give us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom