• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First PS5 photo from the factory

Scotty W

Seen them all since the 80s my friend. This seems like it comes from 1999
I totally disagree with you, I think it looks good.

But just for argument’s sake, I present you with uglier consoles:

the Atari Toilet:
800px-Atari-Jaguar-CD-wPro-Controller.jpg

Look at that wood panelling on the VCS:

400px-Atari2600wood4.jpg

Look at this no class whore hangin out with its slot wide open:

440px-TurboGrafx16-Console-Set.jpg

No taste:
440px-Xbox-console.jpg

Look at this thing- Please guys, just atop making fun of my forehead. I was born this way, I can’t help it:

SNG32

Honestly Im seriously thinking of waiting for the slim version since the portability aspect is low on this .

MiguelItUp

As much as I think the size of it looks about right, does the system really look that rectangular from the side? Because with the console's curvature and everything these lines look a bit too straight in the image. Or am I mistaken?

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
If the measurements posted here are correct then it’s not going to fit my entertainment unit. Shit. Vertical over the table it is.

yurinka

The entire Playstation seems out of place here but what is mostly making me think it's a fake, is the green rectangle on top left of the "PS5", making it possible that the PS5 logo was added.
In the Resetera thread where they posted this image and the equivalent of the link you just provided, they also linked to a website that explains how this foto forensic technique should be applied. That website includes several examples with books, and in the first one there is a totally white book (totally white rectangular shape due to the perspective) and looks like exactly like the PS5 in the image: a black block.

Which means that according to the forensic examination the image doesn't seem to be fake.

Last edited:
I am just shocked people seem to suddenly have all these entertainment units that cant fit something thats about the size of one of those slim all in one home theater receivers... its certainly smaller than my Yamaha receiver. I get it.... if you're using something that isnt meant to be used as a TV stand but.... again in the world where people are buying 40-85 inch TVs , especially the kind of people who are early
adopting a console, weirdly suddenly their livingrooms become closets when talking about placing this machine in it. Big for a console sure but this isnt a frickin Laseractive we're talking about here.

Lordani66

Banned
In the Resetera thread where they posted this image and the equivalent of the link you just provided, they also linked to a website that explains how this foto forensic technique should be applied. That website includes several examples with books, and in the first one there is a totally white book (totally white rectangular shape due to the perspective) and looks like exactly like the PS5 in the image: a black block.

Which means that according to the forensic examination the image doesn't seem to be fake.
May be, but look closely to the top left corner of that "PS5", there is a perfect greenish rectangle where the PS5 logo is. This is what mostly makes me believe this may be fake.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This might be the first console I don't buy just off looks alone and well the fact that the last playstation exclusive I enjoyed was Motorstorm Apocalypse in 2011 doesn't help matters

I honestly think the PS3 Super slim grill looks better than this and that didn't look good at all

SilentUser

That's pretty big. I do have place to acommodate it, but I'm still not sold at the overall design. Of course, in the end, the design of the console isn't the main reason to buy it or not, imo.

Lordani66

Banned
As much as I think the size of it looks about right, does the system really look that rectangular from the size? Because with the console's curvature and everything these lines look a bit too straight in the image. Or am I mistaken?
Those were my thoughts too. Especially the part where the front of the console is. It should at least look something like this IMO:
Bez_tytu_u.png

Maybe not to THAT extent but somewhat like this.

Kdad

>That Avy.

Damn, you gave me a weird feeling now. I feel so old. Makes me wish I still enjoyed games for the smallest things like I did as a child.
Hah...I was just cleaning up the basement and found the old disc.... I dont have a computer with a drive anymore lol. (I have it digital on Steam :) ) ...

Lordani66

Banned
As much as I think the size of it looks about right, does the system really look that rectangular from the side? Because with the console's curvature and everything these lines look a bit too straight in the image. Or am I mistaken?
Those were my thoughts too. Especially the part where the front of the console is. It should at least look something like this IMO:
Bez_tytu_u.png

Maybe not to THAT extent but somewhat like this.
Yeah now that I found the picture of the side of PS5, there's no way it's the real one in the OP pic.
Bez_tytu_u.png

f87Lt8Y.png

And even the dimentions aren't the same:

Bez_nazwy-1.png

It's still covering the supposed PS5 horizontaly here but it's already smaller vertically. And I was resizin it in Photoshop using the Alt+Shift method which resizes layers the same in width and in height.
Even though it's the other side, clearly the shape is different because if the size of sides wouldn't be similar in this console, the other side would either show up on one or the other picture from behind.

I never got the problem with console sizes (I had an og Xbox after all)... And I like the Xbox sx design more than the PS5's (but I have no problem with it either Sony took a big risk with it), thankfully I don't buy consoles to decorate.

Anyway

I like the XSX design more than the PS5 as well, but only because it looks like it has better heat management with that design, which I don't feel that the PS5 does. Now if the PS5 turns out that it can manage the thermals efficiently, and runs quietly, then I'll very happy to pick one up as well.

Last edited:
This might be the first console I don't buy just off looks alone and well the fact that the last playstation exclusive I enjoyed was Motorstorm Apocalypse in 2011 doesn't help matters

I honestly think the PS3 Super slim grill looks better than this and that didn't look good at all

If Motorstorm Apocalypse 2011 is the last PS exclusive you'd enjoyed, then the PS5 is not for you.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah now that I found the picture of the side of PS5, there's no way it's the real one in the OP pic.
Bez_tytu_u.png

f87Lt8Y.png

Bez_nazwy-1.png

It's still covering the supposed PS5 horizontaly here but it's already smaller vertically. And I was resizin it in Photoshop using the Alt+Shift method which resizes layers the same in width and in height.
Even though it's the other side, clearly the shape is different because if the size of sides wouldn't be similar in this console, the other side would either show up on one or the other picture from behind.
The one in OP is real.
The one you posted is very fake... it is made up by somebody to make it weight bigger than it is.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Bez_tytu_u.png

f87Lt8Y.png

Bez_nazwy-1.png

LOL.. "Something is wrong with RL 'cause our amazing sientific measurments won't compute!"

Lordani66

Banned
LOL.. "Something is wrong with RL 'cause our amazing sientific measurments won't compute!"
Are XBox fans really implying that we are butthurt over something and don't realize we are simply uber excited about a new PS console so that we spend every minute of our lives analyzing everything we have because of our thirst, just like those GTA fans literally layed out the entire San Andreas map before GTA V map was released by close analysis of pics and trailers?

Last edited by a moderator:

RaySoft

Are XBox fans really implying that we are butthurt over something and don't realize we are simply uber excited about a new PS console so that we spend every minute of our lives analyzing everything we have because of our thirst, just like those GTA fans literally layed out the entire San Andreas map before GTA V map was released by close analysis of pics and trailers?
They should google Occam's razor for sure...

MiguelItUp

I still think those angles and lines are far too straight considering the console's curvature. If it's truly that rectangular from the side, well, sue me, lmao.

RaySoft

I still think those angles and lines are far too straight considering the console's curvature. If it's truly that rectangular from the side, well, sue me, lmao.
No matter how convex a surface is, looking at it from it's side from a 2D picture, it would still look squared.

MastaKiiLA

No matter how convex a surface is, looking at it from it's side from a 2D picture, it would still look squared.
No...*sigh*...no it won't. You can just test this yourself with a piece of paper. Fold any edge, in the manner you see in the PS5 photos, and it will no longer be a rectangle. The mere fact that you're folding a corner means that corner will no longer be in the same place visually in a side-on view. This really isn't complicated.

I won't even comment on the numerous pictures released to date, because there's no point in guessing size from a render. The very nature of it being a render means it's not accurate. They're not going to make the molds from those renders.

EDIT: Maybe I misinterpreted what you were trying to say. Maybe you were implying that the shape is rectangular from side-on with the curvature, and not implying that a rectangle retains its same look after curved. Either way, we have no proper sense of if the profile view is actually rectangular to begin with. We haven't seen enough of the system to make that determination.

Last edited:
Top Bottom