• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

theytookourjobz

135 standing OHP for 1 today. Finally a plate :)

Boom!

I know there's not too many CrossFit duders in here but the CrossFit games open started this week. They release one workout a week for 5 weeks and you have a week to do it and submit your score. I'd definitely be interested to hear how people do if anyone does it. The site is games.crossfit.com and they release the new workout every Wesnesday night at 5pm central.

The first one is basically get as far as you can in 17 mins.

40 burpees
30 snatch at 75#
30 burpees
30 snatch at 135#
20 burpees
30 snatch at 165#
10 burpees
Max reps snatch at 210#

Set a target 6" above your reach and touch that each time for your burpees.

Noema

135 standing OHP for 1 today. Finally a plate :)

Awesome. Mirin'

s8AO3bB.jpg

andycapps

wooooooooooooooo

Full body day on this 4 week periodization chest program.

Going to squat my ass off but just have to shoot for maintenance. Prolly 4x10 @ 245. Too much chest, not enough legs. I miss doing legs :(

Vio-Lence

Banned
my military press sucks compared to my bench or incline. managed 4 reps at 135# on my 3 week of 5/3/1, but it was a major grind. for comparison i benched 225# for 8 on my 3 week of 5/3/1. not sure i want to reset the MP, but i guess we'll see how the single goes next week, hope to at least get a triple.

Petrie

Banned
Holy shit, exhausted today and no idea why. More coffee it is!

Should know about the new job Tuesday. Nervous as all hell.

blackflag

Boom!

I know there's not too many CrossFit duders in here but the CrossFit games open started this week. They release one workout a week for 5 weeks and you have a week to do it and submit your score. I'd definitely be interested to hear how people do if anyone does it. The site is games.crossfit.com and they release the new workout every Wesnesday night at 5pm central.

The first one is basically get as far as you can in 17 mins.

40 burpees
30 snatch at 75#
30 burpees
30 snatch at 135#
20 burpees
30 snatch at 165#
10 burpees
Max reps snatch at 210#

Set a target 6" above your reach and touch that each time for your burpees.

Do I have to Kip everything for it to count?

MjFrancis

my military press sucks compared to my bench or incline. managed 4 reps at 135# on my 3 week of 5/3/1, but it was a major grind. for comparison i benched 225# for 8 on my 3 week of 5/3/1. not sure i want to reset the MP, but i guess we'll see how the single goes next week, hope to at least get a triple.
The press is a bitch. I'm going over Rip's Press 2.0 again to make sure I understand the finer points. If anything I need to remember to keep the bar floating over my delts rather than sitting on them since my forearms are too long to get any substantial drive when the bar sits on my delts. On Figure 3-12 of the Press PDF I'm the guy on the bottom.

I might integrate the push-press in my next cycle, too. Or I'll clean and press more often. I did that a few weeks back warming up for deadlifts and wondered how 135lbs got to feel that light. The bar certainly doesn't go up that easy for me on a standard press.

Once again another personal best last night! 185x4 OHP. Feels good
And then we have this guy! Cooter I believe you may be pound-for-pound one of the strongest guys who posts here. Keep kicking ass, your lifts are going up like crazy and I'm wondering how far you can go.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
And then we have this guy! Cooter I believe you may be pound-for-pound one of the strongest guys who posts here. Keep kicking ass, your lifts are going up like crazy and I'm wondering how far you can go.

You and me both Francis! Monday I'm doing flat bench DBs with 150s. I expect to get 3 or 4 based on the 7 or 8 I can do with 140s.

EDIT: Not overly lean right now Sean. If I had to guess I'd say 9%

f0nz0

Hit 195x4 on bench twice today. Excited to be nearing 200x4-5.

Ordered some Syntha6 Chocolate Cake Batter tonight from Amazon. $48 for a 5lb tub. Couldn't say no after reading all the reviews. I had tried the Chocolate Milkshake last and it was delicious. I'm excited to try this one out although I assume they will be pretty similar. Anyone else on that BSN game?

One of the better tasting quality proteins In the game. Quality stuff..perfect consistency, tastes great in water, a little higher on cals but great to use while on a bulk or if you have a high calorie diet. Their mocacchino flavor is awesome, as well as their orange cream. Good stuff

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finally saw someone doing push-ups in the squat rack. Pic is him doing push-ups against a bar set at thigh level. Weirdest thing I've seen. Se lady was also side shoulder db raises (for lack of a better description) while kneeing on a pilates ball.

Some guys were serious though. One was deadlifting singles at 240kg and then repping 8-10 at 200 and then 180.

Cudder

Finally saw someone doing push-ups in the squat rack. Pic is him doing push-ups against a bar set at thigh level. Weirdest thing I've seen. Se lady was also side shoulder db raises (for lack of a better description) while kneeing on a pilates ball.

Some guys were serious though. One was deadlifting singles at 240kg and then repping 8-10 at 200 and then 180.

Meh, I sometimes do that just to lightly move my body/joints or whatever. Not in the squat rack on a bar, mind you, but on whatever is hip-high that I can lean on. But if he was doing it as an actual exercises and doing sets of it, then yeah, wtf.

sphinx

the piano man
Finally saw someone doing push-ups in the squat rack.

I've been meaning to ask, what's people's problem with this?

the place seems to be empty, nobody is waiting to use the equipment he is using, he doesn't seem to be hurting himself by doing it...

what's so upsetting about it?

Meh, I sometimes do that just to lightly move my body/joints or whatever.

I do some small sets of pistol squats and back stretching on preparation for the actual squats. Depending on how full the gym is, I may do them near the squat area or far away where I don't disturb anyone. One thing I am sure of, I don't "reserve" the area to do silly calisthenics, specially at peak hours.

Cudder

Oh yeah, been meaning to ask. Is this kind of "pull up" beneficial in any way? I see people doing it all the time.

Screen-shot-2011-04-25-at-10.18.44-PM1.jpg

straight_smith_machine_revere_inverted_rows_starting.jpg

balddemon

Banned
yeah I think they're called australian pull ups? I've never really felt anything straining from doing them, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey Fitness GAF!

I want to start exercising. I'm not really out of shape, I used to be pretty fit when I was riding every day etc...
Anyways, I have no idea where to start. We have a decent gym at school that's free to use, so I want to take advantage of that.

Can you guys point the way to a good, entry level program that isn't super insane? I'm 6' and about 155lbs, in reasonable shape.

abuC

Oh yeah, been meaning to ask. Is this kind of "pull up" beneficial in any way? I see people doing it all the time.

Screen-shot-2011-04-25-at-10.18.44-PM1.jpg

straight_smith_machine_revere_inverted_rows_starting.jpg

Inverted rows are great, but you have to put your feet up on something to really get the full affect. I do them and bring my chest to the bar, hold for 1 second then go back. It's a great back exercise.

Imm0rt4l

You and me both Francis! Monday I'm doing flat bench DBs with 150s. I expect to get 3 or 4 based on the 7 or 8 I can do with 140s.

EDIT: Not overly lean right now Sean. If I had to guess I'd say 9%
Good shit. My gym only goes up to 145. I've only ever gone as high as 135 for reps. More recently I went back to barbell bench since DB seems to exacerbate my tendinitis.

grumble

Hey Fitness GAF!

I want to start exercising. I'm not really out of shape, I used to be pretty fit when I was riding every day etc...
Anyways, I have no idea where to start. We have a decent gym at school that's free to use, so I want to take advantage of that.

Can you guys point the way to a good, entry level program that isn't super insane? I'm 6' and about 155lbs, in reasonable shape.

Well, what are your goals? Personally I'd say that weight's a bit light for your height, and you might benefit from gaining a little muscle. IF you want to run marathons though, that wouldn't be right for you.

Assuming you want the general 'I'm in shape' buff, conditioned look and capability, I'd get you on a strength program and put forty pounds on you. Once that's done, you could cut any fat you've accumulated and do a bit more conditioning and you'd look and feel like a different person. Recommend the program in the OP as a good choice.

Zoe

I've been meaning to ask, what's people's problem with this?

the place seems to be empty, nobody is waiting to use the equipment he is using, he doesn't seem to be hurting himself by doing it...

what's so upsetting about it?

It's never empty when I see people doing it.

TheCrow

Going to be testing my 1 rep max for the main lifts next week. Hoping to hit a 250 bench, 150 press, 250 squat, and 325 deadlift. I know my squat is weak but I've been making steady progress so it'll catch up to my other lifts soon. I'm switching to 5/3/1 for powerlifting from regular 5/3/1. I think the addition of heavy singles will really help prep me for my first meet.

Szu

Good shit. My gym only goes up to 145. I've only ever gone as high as 135 for reps. More recently I went back to barbell bench since DB seems to exacerbate my tendinitis.

Damn, my gym only goes up to 120. If I ever want to increase the weight, I have to find twin blonde Russian women to sit on my palms.

Hit the gym without a buddy.
I still can't get over doing bench on my own, I always end up doing significantly worse even when I'm doing roll of shames - so I ended up on the chest machine.

Sorry guys :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom