• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samara

Another great thread.

Here are some cardio youtube links with great workouts

https://www.youtube.com/user/yaboymillhoy
https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy_cuwmA9gnABoe-YIT0tyQ

roo-579545.jpg

You wont believe what this kangoroo lifts!

fester

Banned
I really never found running shows I love, I am using Acsis right now which seem ok. I tried to use Nike Free Run but my foot kept cramping up. Finding running shoes is the bane of my existence since I am a size 13 shoe too. This is my first half too(Doing it in September), after the training for this I can't imagine doing a full marathon...............or ultra.

Do you have any specialty running stores close to you? They usually have helpful staff that will go out of their way to help you find the right shoe. If you live out in the middle of nowhere, take a look at http://www.runningwarehouse.com . They have a great selection of support/motion control shoes, every size option, and best of all free returns. I will often order 2 or 3 pairs, try them out, then return the ones that don't fit right.

Dice//

Banned
Hey FitGaf, what you all know about getting an Elliptical at home???

I love them as a way to keep my energy up and get good cardio in (I'm a shit jogger and I live in Canada, so going outside for it isn't always the best way to do it). I hate spending a lot of time on them at the gym when I'd rather spend the time at the weights and not just watching the 24 hour news station --- so I thought I'd get one at home. Given I'd want it for a room, I was hoping to find one that's not the size of a small spaceship. I'm also not really 'in the know' about good brands.

Recommendations?

SeanR1221

My wife and I went out for our anniversary and I feel like looking at this picture I can see the difference in my weight loss. I've been bouncing between 213-211 the past few days which is perfect. Gotta go another couple weeks and then it's on the road to 200!

DrFurbs

In just had steamed veg and lean mince chilli for breakfast. Was actually very tastey!

Still hungry tho :(

Cardio time soon.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
NoRéN;165092595 said:
Any recommendations for water bottles? Camelbak seems like a good brand. Worth buying?

The ones you wear on your back? It'd be excellent for hiking and running. The water comes out tasting fine and it's durable.

For weightlifting I use a Gatorade bottle.

BumRush

My wife and I went out for our anniversary and I feel like looking at this picture I can see the difference in my weight loss. I've been bouncing between 213-211 the past few days which is perfect. Gotta go another couple weeks and then it's on the road to 200!

You guys make a cute couple dude. She must be lovin' the new Sean! Congrats. Anniversary night is always a guaranteed good time, if you know what I mean...and I think you do.

entremet

What are you doing, Sean?

Just basic calorie counting?

Looking good, btw.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Started some stuff in the company gym again, just regular stuff, nothing spectacular. 3 times a week, one hour-ish each, some cardio and some mixed lifting/exercises.

Been feeling pretty crappy lately, and it helps a bit with getting my mind away from things. Plus hopefully I'll lose a few pounds again.

SeanR1221

You guys make a cute couple dude. She must be lovin' the new Sean! Congrats. Anniversary night is always a guaranteed good time, if you know what I mean...and I think you do.

Thanks and she definitely is. I noticed 6 months ago she stopped giving me as many compliments. I don't think she thought I was ugly or anything but I was definitely putting on too much fat.

And yes good times were had. I ate so much good food.

Oh wait. You meant that. Ohhhhhhhh

What are you doing, Sean?

Just basic calorie counting?

Looking good, btw.

Thanks man, just following stuff from the Renaissance Diet book. Nothing fancy, basically calorie counting, eating .8g/lb of protein a day and then about 1g/lb of carbs on lifting days and .5g/lb of carbs on rest days. The rest is made up in fat. I eat around 2100 calories now but a little more on lifting days (enough for a banana and scoop of whey post lifting).

Started at 228 and hit 213 in 3 months. Now I'm trying to stay between 211-215 for a maintenance phase and then it's back to weight loss for the rest of summer.

Strength is staying pretty good, easily within 90% of my starting weight, probably more.

I'm happy to see FitGAF is up to OT8! I stopped paying in OT7 but I've been maintaining my lifting and fitness routine pretty well, just not taken time to post in FitGAF very often.

Recently I've found I feel more comfortable doing pull-ups and chin-ups with my thumbs on the same side of the handle as my fingers - basically the same as "suicide grip" for bench press. Does anyone else do pull-ups like this? Is there anything I should be worried about doing this? Seems harmless but I wanted to inquire with FitGAF.

Pyrokai

Is it better to let DOMS subside before doing more lifting and delay your regimine a couple of days, or to just chug on?

Hello FitGaf. I have decided that I want to get into shape, I've always wanted to and I've just had a major - and shitty - turn in my life and I'm hoping to focus all this negativity into self-improvement. I'll be grabbing a gym membership very soon but until then I have a barbell and a set of dumbbells which can keep me going until I manage that.

So, I guess this is sort of an introduction but I've been in here before and seen how helpful everyone is so I'll attempt to explain where I'm at. I've always been a slim guy, not much fat on me and okay-ish muscle development, my ex used to be obsessed with my arms and back even though they were worked out rarely (she went to the gym often) but I've never really been happy, the definition is there but I know it's because I'm only a skinny guy. I've worked out before and saw good enough improvements but I really want to stick to it, I have a friend who works at a gym so I'm planning on going with him.

I only have a week until I go on holiday but I'm still sorting out a plan. I've got a list of bicep and back exercises that I intend on doing either tonight (if I'm not out) or tomorrow (UK-Gaf).

Here's the preliminary plan:
Barbell curl
Hammer curl
Concentration curl

Deadlifts
Good Morning

One-Arm long bar row
Reverse grip bent rows
Dumbbell Row

Barbell Shrug
Standing upright row

I'm really intimidated by this journey but I feel ready, I have the whole summer. Also, I have two Whey Protein containers which are about two years old, I opened them up and they still smell as awful as they did - not any worse - but is it safe? Any nutritional stuff a new guy should know?

-edit-

I also have no bench so chest exercises seem almost impossible until I get to the gym.

Chocobro

I'm happy to see FitGAF is up to OT8! I stopped paying in OT7 but I've been maintaining my lifting and fitness routine pretty well, just not taken time to post in FitGAF very often.

Recently I've found I feel more comfortable doing pull-ups and chin-ups with my thumbs on the same side of the handle as my fingers - basically the same as "suicide grip" for bench press. Does anyone else do pull-ups like this? Is there anything I should be worried about doing this? Seems harmless but I wanted to inquire with FitGAF.

My friend does pull-ups that way. He hasn't have any problems for the last few years. Thumbless grip should be OK for pulling movements, not pressing movements. I tried it after he suggested it and I was able to get an extra rep or two for my pull-ups .

Is it better to let DOMS subside before doing more lifting and delay your regimine a couple of days, or to just chug on?

I say to chug on. That's what I, and I think most of FitGAF, have been doing.

BumRush

Hello FitGaf. I have decided that I want to get into shape, I've always wanted to and I've just had a major - and shitty - turn in my life and I'm hoping to focus all this negativity into self-improvement. I'll be grabbing a gym membership very soon but until then I have a barbell and a set of dumbbells which can keep me going until I manage that.

So, I guess this is sort of an introduction but I've been in here before and seen how helpful everyone is so I'll attempt to explain where I'm at. I've always been a slim guy, not much fat on me and okay-ish muscle development, my ex used to be obsessed with my arms and back even though they were worked out rarely (she went to the gym often) but I've never really been happy, the definition is there but I know it's because I'm only a skinny guy. I've worked out before and saw good enough improvements but I really want to stick to it, I have a friend who works at a gym so I'm planning on going with him.

I only have a week until I go on holiday but I'm still sorting out a plan. I've got a list of bicep and back exercises that I intend on doing either tonight (if I'm not out) or tomorrow (UK-Gaf).

Here's the preliminary plan:

I'm really intimidated by this journey but I feel ready, I have the whole summer. Also, I have two Whey Protein containers which are about two years old, I opened them up and they still smell as awful as they did - not any worse - but is it safe? Any nutritional stuff a new guy should know?

-edit-

I also have no bench so chest exercises seem almost impossible until I get to the gym.

Hey man, sorry to hear you went through some rough shit. Regarding your question, how soon can you get a membership? It's almost pointless to start a random routine for a week or two when you could be starting SS or 531 in a week...

Chocobro

Hey man, sorry to hear you went through some rough shit. Regarding your question, how soon can you get a membership? It's almost pointless to start a random routine for a week or two when you could be starting SS or 531 in a week...

To add to this, it might be a good idea to use this week to read up on material relating to a program in the OP, depending on which program you choose, to be ready for when you start.

Cheers, I appreciate that. Okay, I'll do what I sometimes do then, just a little bit of free weights and when I get the membership I'll do that. I will probably get it sometime next week as I'll be back home from University.

To add to this, it might be a good idea to use this week to read up on material relating to a program in the OP, depending on which program you choose, to be ready for when you start.
Thanks, I had a read-through of the OP and saw the programs which were 'squats, bench, etc...' and was wondering if that's the best way, I'm looking to kill some serious hours at the gym between cardio and weights.

Also, I've been reading about weight-lifting shoes are their benefits, are cheap ones still worth it?

Chocobro

Thanks, I had a read-through of the OP and saw the programs which were 'squats, bench, etc...' and was wondering if that's the best way, I'm looking to kill some serious hours at the gym between cardio and weights.

Also, I've been reading about weight-lifting shoes are their benefits, are cheap ones still worth it?

Those are the most bang-for-buck lifts, so I would say it is the best way. You also don't need to spend hours at the gym; most of us here spend anywhere from an hour to two hours at the gym. Doing too much may hinder recovery and you get to a point of diminishing returns (someone can correct me if this isn't accurate).

Weightlifting shoes, it really depends. Do you have poor ankle mobility? Do you high-bar squat? Do you plan on doing Olympic weightlifting? If the answer is 'yes' to most of them, you may consider getting a pair. Otherwise Chuck Taylors, CrossFit Lite TRs, or any footwear with little to no compression of the sole are good enough.

Just started my fourth week of cutting and so far I have lost ca 5.5 lb so I'm right on track to lose12-15 lb in eight weeks. Squat is the only lift that is feeling a bit weaker but otherwise my strength has remained just about the same so I think my diet is fairly on point. I can already see that my waist is getting tighter and my gym belt is agreeing with me since I'm two notches down from earlier this year. Feels good.

ILoveBish

I woke up today feeling really tired even tho I got plenty of sleep. Then I get to work and realized it's 1s week and I have to get mentally prepped to lift.

Started feeling stronger and by the time I ate felt great. Got the cage right when I walked into the gym and knocked out 350x1 easy on squats. Hit every rep on my accessories as well and that was that. 5th 1s week going great so far, 2015 has been very productive.

Chocobro

sombody on reddit posted this series of stretches for different forms of posture imbalances

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/limitless-university/posture.pdf

Seems like decent information, but after thinking about it, a redditor posted what I had in mind.
Redditor from above link said:
As a PT who has worked with hundreds of people on their posture and spinal issues, I feel like I have to chime in here. First, I do appreciate your efforts. It's great to see there are people that are passionate about their wellbeing and willing to spread that message.
However, much of the information in this document is misleading or just wrong. The entire Deviation section is incorrect. I have no idea what that blue and white lines are supposed to be showing you, but it's not that person's alignment or the supposed correct alignment. Everyone is different, and just about everyone has abnormal posture. Unless it's 1) extremely abnormal and odd looking or 2)causing you pain, I wouldn't treat it aggressively. Just being aware of bad posture and trying to correct it throughout the day with good habits is enough.
Also, many of the stretches are either poorly designed or unnecessary. I would NEVER have anyone stretch their neck with flexion to the chest. That's a recipe for cerical dysfunction. If someone has forward head and is in relative cervical extension, cervical retractions are the gold standard stretch. See this video for an example.
On a general note, stretching is great. However, stretching without stabilization is harmful. Sometimes you have to allow muscles to be tight because the underlying structure is damaged or, if stability is lacking, the joint can be harmed. You have to know if it's safe for you to do.
TL;DR - If you have pain or postural issues, go see a professional who can give you an accurate assessment of what's going on. Even if it's a one time thing, it's better to know from a pro than self-diagnosing and doing the wrong thing.

Mimosa97

A friend of mine bought a powerplate for 1700$ and he swears that it works. He showed me a few exercises he does on it (he puts his hands on it and does push ups and that kind of stuff). He says he uses it to warm up and wake up " sleeping " muscles (don't know how it's called in english).

I told him it looked a fucking scam to me but he keeps saying it's 100% legit. I bet there's a lot of info out there on the internet but I'm too lazy to look for it.

A friend of mine bought a powerplate for 1700$ and he swears that it works. He showed me a few exercises he does on it (he puts his hands on it and does push ups and that kind of stuff). He says he uses it to warm up and wake up " sleeping " muscles (don't know how it's called in english).

I told him it looked a fucking scam to me but he keeps saying it's 100% legit. I bet there's a lot of info out there on the internet but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Vibration equipment to lose weight or gain muscle has been around for decades. It has been a scam since it was invented.

Mimosa97

Vibration equipment to lose weight or gain muscle has been around for decades. It has been a scam since it was invented.

That's exactly what I told him.

The thing is he doesn't just stand up on that, he basically does push ups and other exercices only that his hands or feet are placed on the plate so that the vibrations go through his body lol

Oh man ... What an idiot.

Edit : Could someone recommend me a good weighing scale ?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm taking my sweet time with this cut. Had a refuel night yesterday just because. I think all this rain we are getting is contributing to my lack of urgency. Got down to 187.6 and jumped up to 191 today. Last week I got down to 188.8 and had a refuel day and jumped up to 192 before I hit the 187.6 after 5 strict days. If anything it is helping me preserve as much muscle as I can.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So think I'm gonna switch from Canditos 6 week and try 5/3/1 again. How exactly do I use the calculator in the OP? Last time I tried 5/31 I used the old calc and now I'm not sure how to use the new one.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Took my gf to the gym for the third or fourth time today (it's been four months since she last came with me) and I feel like she's very strong for never working out.

She was able to squat 95 pounds for 7 reps. Is it just me or is that pretty fucking good for a beginner basically? She was able to bench press 65 pounds with relative ease as well. 6 or 7 reps on that, too.

(Btw, I broke a new squat PR with 215x5!!!)

dankir

Going to pick up some fat gripz anybody have good experience with them?

I'm trying to DL 405 without straps but just can't do it. Over under grip doesn't work either. I'm deadlifting 385 - 390 on some days but I need to get stronger grip strength in general.

ILoveBish

Going to pick up some fat gripz anybody have good experience with them?

I'm trying to DL 405 without straps but just can't do it. Over under grip doesn't work either. I'm deadlifting 385 - 390 on some days but I need to get stronger grip strength in general.

Chalk?

First. I like how I never make the top poster list, lol. I guess I never post as much as I think I do.

Second. So I decided to have an easy "cheat" meal yesterday. Made my own flatbread pizza. It was great and only 500cals for the whole thing. Why the hell do I order out again? I don't even think it was cheating cause it fit my macros lol.

It was pretty simple though. So most people will probably say yuck cause it was so plain.

Whole wheat Naan bread (I couldn't find any pita at my grocery store, wtf?)
Tomato paste
2% Cheese
Turkey pepperoni
Seasonings.

That was it. Next time I'll probably make the sauce tastier, but yeah, I enjoyed it.

BadTaste

I'm finding it hard to make progress on triceps, just yesterday I was doing an arm workout and I was making sure to fully contract my tricep muscles on each rep and I could feel them burning up as a result so I thought I was doing something right. Usually I have morning after pain in muscle groups if I trained them hard the day before but I don't feel any discomfort or pain at all in my triceps this morning, yeah I'm in a shitty mood.

I'm rather unsatisfied with my weight and appearance at the moment, I don't work out/exercise and I eat pretty shitty food. I plan to start working out soon (which I've done off and on in the past), but I really just want to lose some weight and feel better about myself. My biggest problem is that I'm hungry all the time, and it's really easy to eat crappy food. What's a healthy filling snack, that isn't expensive or hard to prepare? Something snack-able.

mdsfx

I'm rather unsatisfied with my weight and appearance at the moment, I don't work out/exercise and I eat pretty shitty food. I plan to start working out soon (which I've done off and on in the past), but I really just want to lose some weight and feel better about myself. My biggest problem is that I'm hungry all the time, and it's really easy to eat crappy food. What's a healthy filling snack, that isn't expensive or hard to prepare? Something snack-able.

I've had the best luck by simply having healthier foods available. If I go shopping for food, its easy for me not to buy junk. If I do have junk in the house, I tend to lack self control.

My go-to snacks are whole cut deli turkey, cheese, Greek yogurt, basic salads, peanut butter, protein shakes, etc. It may also help to find better breads like the whole wheat, lower carb stuff (natural life?). I love eggs too, but like peanut butter and cheese, the fat content spikes up the calories so I eat them sparingly (or take out a few yokes).

If you stick to green veggies and meats in general you'll be in good shape, but you still need to count calories. It's still possible to over eat with healthy foods.

Edit: some people may tell you to stay away from dairy. I enjoy my limited cheese and Greek yogurt. To each his own I suppose.

Szu

Well, I just returned from a 4 day vacation. I was on a bus tour. I went to Tennessee and I just didn't give a fuck with my diet.

I went to several all you can eat buffets. I also caught the Dixie Stampede dinner show. The tour guide said there was going to be a lot of food. I ended finishing everything and some of my wife's food.

Went to a Mexican restaurant and had quesadillas, nachos del carne, and guacamole dip for dinner.

On a side note, I did have a minor accident on the trip. I was trying to get my wife's purse from the overhead compartment. The bus made a quick sharp turn and stopped. I ended up tumbling down the aisle backward and landed in the floor right next to the driver. Luckily, my back and ass took the brunt of the force.

Took a pic of the aftermath.
8JbAiJJ.jpg

At the same time, I was glad my years of training have provided me with a decent cushion against incidents like this.

My wife was a bit hysterical. Heh.

Remember, kids. Don't stand up on a moving bus.

Chocobro

Szu, sounds like that bus tour was the same one I went to about 15 years ago. That creamy soup was so good. What food did they have again? I remember a whole small chicken, creamy soup, and I forget the rest; maybe some corn and mash potatoes too?

Glad you're OK. Would've been worse if you tumbled pass the driver and down those steps before the door.

Szu

Szu, sounds like that bus tour was the same one I went to about 15 years ago. That creamy soup was so good. What food did they have again? I remember a whole small chicken, creamy soup, and I forget the rest; maybe some corn and mash potatoes too?

Glad you're OK. Would've been worse if you tumbled pass the driver and down those steps before the door.

Yeah, the Dixie Stampede started with a biscuit and some creamy soup.

Main course was a whole small chicken that most of my tour group couldn't finish, some ham, a potato, and corn on a cob.

Desert was a baked apple pie.

I remember doing something similar when I was a kid. Medieval Times.
Basically, the same thing with less cowboys and more knights.

My biggest problem is that I'm hungry all the time, and it's really easy to eat crappy food. What's a healthy filling snack, that isn't expensive or hard to prepare? Something snack-able.

That's really the only crime against "crappy food", it's just easy to eat. And easy to eat a lot of. If you want a filling snack, you could do something like:

500g plain greek yogurt (you can get this from costco in tubs of 500g)
~150g blueberries

Add some fibrous/leafy veggies and it'll pretty much last you all day. It's practically almost a meal. If that's too hard to prepare then I dunno anymore lol.

Anyways just stopped by to say nice job on the new OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom