• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just returned from a 4 day vacation. I was on a bus tour. I went to Tennessee and I just didn't give a fuck with my diet.

I went to several all you can eat buffets. I also caught the Dixie Stampede dinner show. The tour guide said there was going to be a lot of food. I ended finishing everything and some of my wife's food.

Went to a Mexican restaurant and had quesadillas, nachos del carne, and guacamole dip for dinner.

On a side note, I did have a minor accident on the trip. I was trying to get my wife's purse from the overhead compartment. The bus made a quick sharp turn and stopped. I ended up tumbling down the aisle backward and landed in the floor right next to the driver. Luckily, my back and ass took the brunt of the force.

Took a pic of the aftermath.
8JbAiJJ.jpg

At the same time, I was glad my years of training have provided me with a decent cushion against incidents like this.

My wife was a bit hysterical. Heh.

Remember, kids. Don't stand up on a moving bus.

glad you are fine, friend

Thunder and Lightning baby!!

giphy.gif

leakey

Dat fresh OT smell. Starting Strength is still working well for me. Have been floating near 225 for squats, 155 bench for over a month though. Dropped some weight and have been working on form while working back up, but I think maybe I just need to eat more :|

BumRush

Dat fresh OT smell. Starting Strength is still working well for me. Have been floating near 225 for squats, 155 bench for over a month though. Dropped some weight and have been working on form while working back up, but I think maybe I just need to eat more :|

Work on your stabilizers, leakey. Any time I hit a plateau I drop weight on my compound and increase reps. Additionally, I'll spend a good deal of time focusing on the areas that are holding me back.

What part of your squat is failing? Bench?

Anyone else here have exercises that they are unusually weak at (vs the general population)? Not stuff like wanting to have a better OHP, real weaknesses.

My lifts are all at the novice to intermediate levels except for bench press, where I actually struggle to do untrained numbers. I can only assume it's got something to do with breaking both of my collar bones when I was a teenager but for whatever reason I just don't progress on it.

Oddly I'm actually quite strong at things like dumbbell flyes when compared to others... but definitely not the press motion.

J. Bravo

officially can't eat mcdonalds anymore. the sausage burritos I got last night were cold in the middle. I stopped eating them right when I felt the cold but I think I threw up because of it. taco bell and quiktrip are the only fast food places open to me now lol. not a terrible thing I guess.

Azulsky

Anyone else here have exercises that they are unusually weak at (vs the general population)? Not stuff like wanting to have a better OHP, real weaknesses.

My lifts are all at the novice to intermediate levels except for bench press, where I actually struggle to do untrained numbers. I can only assume it's got something to do with breaking both of my collar bones when I was a teenager but for whatever reason I just don't progress on it.

Oddly I'm actually quite strong at things like dumbbell flyes when compared to others... but definitely not the press motion.

Where in the press is it hardest?

Personally I have shit triceps. Every push motion sticks when the tricep starts to take over at the middle. They getting better just slowly.

Fresh thread. Fresh scent.

This week for me is all about recouping from some food decisions over the long weekend. Not terrible and planned, but I gotta work it out. Going in next week to try and rep my deadlift max from January 4 times. I just need to treat my lower back nice until then.

Azulsky

Top third for me. All falls apart there.

That's triceps. Lockout is typically a weak area as the pecs are way stronger than the triceps.

I've done a healthy mix of stuff to isolate Tris like cables(over the head and push down), French press, skull crushers,lying extension, dips, pushups and that has helped a bunch.

Once you get past the stabilizers as a weak point for a certain press weight you pretty much working the tris up to parity. Keep going and if it really sucks get a rack and start the bar 1/2 way up to work on lockouts.

ILoveBish

Nah I don't want to carry any sort of powder or shit. I've read about making my own liquid chalk but I need to work on my grip strength in general.

I'll post back when I've tested them out.

Liquid chalk. I use it and love it. It will help your grip strength as well.

BumRush

Cheers for the triceps suggestions. Will look to add in a bit more of that sort of thing.

Try the thing I mentioned. Throw a 45 on each side and do partial reps, only on the top 1/3. Do it until failure, three sets. Your tris will be torched. I promise.

Chocobro

I'm rather unsatisfied with my weight and appearance at the moment, I don't work out/exercise and I eat pretty shitty food. I plan to start working out soon (which I've done off and on in the past), but I really just want to lose some weight and feel better about myself. My biggest problem is that I'm hungry all the time, and it's really easy to eat crappy food. What's a healthy filling snack, that isn't expensive or hard to prepare? Something snack-able.

My friend recommended me a snack with greek yogurt mixed with cottage cheese and granola. You can use blueberries instead of granola.

I switched to a low-carb meal plan a few days ago and I haven't really felt hungry throughout the day. No more snacking too.

ILoveBish

My friend recommended me a snack with greek yogurt mixed with cottage cheese and granola. You can use blueberries instead of granola.

I switched to a low-carb meal plan a few days ago and I haven't really felt hungry throughout the day. No more snacking too.

Mmmhmmmm.gif

Kwixotik

mkenyon said:
Totally 100% depends on your foot and what kind of runner you are. I know that's a pain in the ass, but seriously, getting the wrong pair of shoes can fuck you up. Getting the right pair of shoes will prevent injury.

If you're in a decently populated metropolitan area, there should be a dedicated runner store somewhere near you. They will have you run on the treadmill, take a look at your feet, and find a good match.

Otherwise, you can try to figure it out yourself, which is certainly possible. This guide is pretty great.

*edit*

Also, I think the thin shoes that are designed for forefoot striking are a gimmick that quite literally lead to serious injury. They're like the Crossfit of the Running World.

So I finally got around to the local running shop and they had me walk for them and stuff. They ended up recommending Saucony Guide 8s. The only colorway they had was pretty ugly and priced $40 higher than online, so I thanked them but dipped out without buying anything.

I tried to look online to figure out what kind of foot/gait the shoes were designed for but couldn't decipher all of the marketing babble. Anyone know what class of shoe that is or similar shoes that are less ugly and/or cheaper? Might end up just getting them off Amazon for 80 if I don't get any new info, but figured I should at least post and ask since I wasn't going to pay the 120 they were asking either way. I love local stores but I'm near broke lol.

ILoveBish

Felt so tired again today. Weighed in at 237.4 today. Ate lunch and then hit the gym, knocked out 240x1 on bench easy. Probably had a couple more reps in me. Hit every single rep on my compound and accessories. Great day. Freaking busy at the gym lately. So many people I've never seen.

Feels good benching my own body weight.

GrapeApes

Nah I don't want to carry any sort of powder or shit. I've read about making my own liquid chalk but I need to work on my grip strength in general.

I'll post back when I've tested them out.
You gonna need chalk, liquid or solid. If all you care about is grip strength then go without. If general strength is important then you know what you need to do. I can't imagine lifting heavy for multiple sets without it. My grip and moist hands would fail at the first rep.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Is Brolic boycotting |OT8|?

A lot of shit going on. Started training new job and took last week off lifting, also, after the competitions, not much seems worth posting honestly. All that and training in the afternoon after work is gonna take some getting used to. May break down and get a preworkout.

But all in all, just not much worth posting about.

grumble

I just found myself pricing out Adidas training shoes. WTF. I blame this thread 100% for this...

You don't run in dress shoes, why lift weights in running shoes?

I was dead lifting a nice warmup weight, second rep of 335 and I decided to change my form a little. I dropped my shoulders down and back and immediately got an extra inch on the setup. Then I made the easy feeling pull and tweaked a rhomboid. So I'm out for a while.

BumRush

A lot of shit going on. Started training new job and took last week off lifting, also, after the competitions, not much seems worth posting honestly. All that and training in the afternoon after work is gonna take some getting used to. May break down and get a preworkout.

But all in all, just not much worth posting about.

In the long run, pre-workouts just have too much caffeine for me. One 12 ounce cup of coffee on my way home from work and I'm good to go.

You back lifting this week?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
In the long run, pre-workouts just have too much caffeine for me. One 12 ounce cup of coffee on my way home from work and I'm good to go.

You back lifting this week?

Yeah, starting light getting back going. And I drink dark coffee in the morning, so might try something a little extra next week. I'm wary because last time I used a preworkout I didn't like how it made me feel, but I can tell I'm dragging ass.

mdsfx

Yeah, starting light getting back going. And I drink dark coffee in the morning, so might try something a little extra next week. I'm wary because last time I used a preworkout I didn't like how it made me feel, but I can tell I'm dragging ass.
I'm guessing you have more experience, but just in case it helps I've tried Cellucor C4 and ON Pre. I prefer the C4 because of how I felt, how little I have to consume, and the lack of a burning tongue and upset stomach due to the pepper in PRE.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just curious, do any of you guys worry that working your legs would make you all unproportional, you know, cause the thighs develop and get bigger way faster than the calves?

What Youtubers do you all follow? I'm trying to find more guys to add to my Youtube/Instagram feed for motivation. I can't seem to find enough that aren't proponents of misc/bro/zyzz culture (can't stand that, sorry).

I really only follow like... Michael Kory and Buff Dudes for their recipes.

I make my own pre-workout. That way I know exactly what I'm getting and don't have to worry about most of the bullshit ingredients that companies add. I don't put caffeine in it either... if I need the extra jolt I'll have a triple espresso before working out.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
What Youtubers do you all follow? I'm trying to find more guys to add to my Youtube/Instagram feed for motivation. I can't seem to find enough that aren't proponents of misc/bro/zyzz culture (can't stand that, sorry).

I really only follow like... Michael Kory and Buff Dudes for their recipes.

Way too many to list

Very good info and tutorials

Chris Duffin
Kelly Starrett
Supertraining06

Entertainment and some good info

George Leeman
Brett Gibbs
Garret Blevins
Ben Rice
Lilliebridges
BioLayne
Kevin Oak
Omarlsuf
Phyisque of Greatness
Wayne Forsythe <3

Visceir

I've been watching Christian Guzman's videos for a couple of years now. Lately his videos have had lots of business stuff in them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom