• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else here have exercises that they are unusually weak at (vs the general population)? Not stuff like wanting to have a better OHP, real weaknesses.

My lifts are all at the novice to intermediate levels except for bench press, where I actually struggle to do untrained numbers. I can only assume it's got something to do with breaking both of my collar bones when I was a teenager but for whatever reason I just don't progress on it.

Oddly I'm actually quite strong at things like dumbbell flyes when compared to others... but definitely not the press motion.

I'm probably in that category for most of my arm exercises. My core has always naturally been good and my legs haven't completely given up the ghost from the miles of walking every day in college, but my arms are probably pretty pathetic. I can't say for sure, though, because I'm trying to avoid comparing myself to anyone else. I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to work my schedule out to get to the gym three times a week, so the last thing I need is the discouragement that those comparisons can bring.

At the end of the day, you can only work with what you've got... I just find it interesting that my strength seems to be so unbalanced in that area.

Szu

Anyone else here have exercises that they are unusually weak at (vs the general population)? Not stuff like wanting to have a better OHP, real weaknesses.

My lifts are all at the novice to intermediate levels except for bench press, where I actually struggle to do untrained numbers. I can only assume it's got something to do with breaking both of my collar bones when I was a teenager but for whatever reason I just don't progress on it.

Oddly I'm actually quite strong at things like dumbbell flyes when compared to others... but definitely not the press motion.

For me, it's my chest. No matter what I do, it always seems "flat" to me.

My bench numbers also suck compared to everything else. I have a bunch of injuries that hinder my chest workouts (hurt my right shoulder at a young age, dislocated my left shoulder 9 times, and surgeries on both elbows). Plus, I have long arms.

mdsfx

At the end of the day, you can only work with what you've got... I just find it interesting that my strength seems to be so unbalanced in that area.
My legs and core have always been lacking. Ive made progress, but I'm not proportional at all :(

Chocobro

What Youtubers do you all follow? I'm trying to find more guys to add to my Youtube/Instagram feed for motivation. I can't seem to find enough that aren't proponents of misc/bro/zyzz culture (can't stand that, sorry).

I really only follow like... Michael Kory and Buff Dudes for their recipes.

Powerlifting-related:
Bryce Lewis [IG / YT]
Alan Thrall
Bart Kwan
Matt Ogus (only bodybuilder I watch)
Jason Blaha (mostly for parts of his Q&A videos and other videos that happen to be informative
BroScienceLife
CanditoTrainingHQ
OmarIsuf
Ben Rice
Armenian_Strength (dude is strong and fast; I don't know his height but he's around 180#)

Olympic Weightlifting:
Aleksey TOROKHTIY
Milko Takola (IG)
All Things Gym (YT / IG)
Hookgrip (IG)
clarence0 (YT)
Dmitry Klokov (YT)
Ilya Ilyin (IG)
Alex Lee (IG)
Ma Strength (YT)
Coach Wu Chuanfu (IG)
Luis Javier Mosquera (IG)

Sorry I got lazy with the links half-way through. Eating breakfast and I need to head out soon.

What Youtubers do you all follow? I'm trying to find more guys to add to my Youtube/Instagram feed for motivation. I can't seem to find enough that aren't proponents of misc/bro/zyzz culture (can't stand that, sorry).

I really only follow like... Michael Kory and Buff Dudes for their recipes.

I suscribed to Michael Kory's channel because I wanted to try out his recipes, and now over a year later I still haven't tried a single recipe.

GrapeApes

I make my own pre-workout. That way I know exactly what I'm getting and don't have to worry about most of the bullshit ingredients that companies add. I don't put caffeine in it either... if I need the extra jolt I'll have a triple espresso before working out.
What ingredients do you put in yours?
What Youtubers do you all follow? I'm trying to find more guys to add to my Youtube/Instagram feed for motivation. I can't seem to find enough that aren't proponents of misc/bro/zyzz culture (can't stand that, sorry)..
Most I check for are powerlifters
Candito
Cody Lefever (small channel but guy has a good personality)
Thelogicalbro (comedy mostly, does a weekly recap of the fitness videos)
Massthetics (bromamce powerlifters)
ProteinChef sometimes has good recipes

What ingredients do you put in yours?

BCAAs (I work out fasted)
Creatine
Beta Alanine
Citrulline Malate
Taurine

Most of that isn't specific to helping (instantly) with the workout (pretty much only Beta Alanine), but it's easier for me to just take all of it then than at some other point in the day.

mdsfx

BCAAs (I work out fasted)
Creatine
Beta Alanine
Citrulline Malate
Taurine

Most of that isn't specific to helping (instantly) with the workout (pretty much only Beta Alanine), but it's easier for me to just take all of it then than at some other point in the day.

What's this ingredient used for?

Chocobro

What's this ingredient used for?

http://examine.com/supplements/Citrulline/
L-Citrulline is used as a sports performance and cardiovascular health supplement. L-Citrulline supplementation results in reduced fatigue and improved endurance for both aerobic and anaerobic prolonged exercise. There is not enough evidence to support the claim that L-citrulline supplementation improves power output during exercise.

BumRush

how does one create the perfect dadbod?

According to us? Do one of the routines in the OP, balance your macros and eat at a caloric surplus (bulking) or deficit (cutting).

According to that girl / social media? Work out a little bit here and there, and drink and eat as much as you want.

mdsfx

According to us? Do one of the routines in the OP, balance your macros and eat at a caloric surplus (bulking) or deficit (cutting).

According to that girl / social media? Work out a little bit here and there, and drink and eat as much as you want.
Lol great answer

manfestival

hah perfect

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Way too many to list

Very good info and tutorials

Chris Duffin
Kelly Starrett
Supertraining06

Entertainment and some good info

George Leeman
Brett Gibbs
Garret Blevins
Ben Rice
Lilliebridges
BioLayne
Kevin Oak
Omarlsuf
Phyisque of Greatness
Wayne Forsythe <3

Hehehe, I forgot to mention this guy. He's such a beast. I go to bed hoping to dream of being in his shoes.

;) I'll check the others out.

Lol

leakey

Work on your stabilizers, leakey. Any time I hit a plateau I drop weight on my compound and increase reps. Additionally, I'll spend a good deal of time focusing on the areas that are holding me back.

What part of your squat is failing? Bench?

Thanks. I've been heeding that advice the past few weeks and seeing improvement in form/confidence. Before, I just couldn't drive up on the last few reps for squats, same with bench. Usually work out around noon, so eating enough in the morning is seeming to make a huge difference.

I suscribed to Michael Kory's channel because I wanted to try out his recipes, and now over a year later I still haven't tried a single recipe.
Hah, I just made his chicken tenders an hour ago. Oatmeal breading and baked. Then I doused them in Franks and chowed down. Might make some more as I'm still shy on cals for today.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The OP tells us creatine adds 2-4 pounds of water weight. Does anyone here cut their creatine intake for the summer, and does it make a noticeable difference in muscle definition? I imagine it would, if it's a real thing.

If so, how long does it take to drop the extra water weight?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't follow or watch anyone on YouTube. Am I doing this wrong?

____

Nice muscle up mdsfx! Looked good.

Szu

how does one create the perfect dadbod?

It's optional, but it couldn't hurt to have one of these on hand.
bAloxHI.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I really only follow Brosciencelife and Alan Thrall on youtube lately.

"Do you even lift, Dad? DO YOU EVEN LIFT?"

It's funny. My dad hasn't been to a gym in probably 30+ years and yet he still has crazy old man strength because he's always doing some kind of manual labor around the house for fun.

Kids are so great at giving you inspiration. My daughter makes me feel so much stronger and faster than I really am. I love it.

That's all well and good until they start competing with you... and beating you.

It's funny. My dad hasn't been to a gym in probably 30+ years and yet he still has crazy old man strength because he's always doing some kind of manual labor around the house for fun.

I knew a guy in his eighties who made me look ridiculously weak and unfit by comparison. The guy could dig like he was steam powered.

theytookourjobz

The OP tells us creatine adds 2-4 pounds of water weight. Does anyone here cut their creatine intake for the summer, and does it make a noticeable difference in muscle definition? I imagine it would, if it's a real thing.

If so, how long does it take to drop the extra water weight?

Unless you're cutting for a bodybuilding show, I don't see any reason to cut creatine. When I stop taking it I recover slower, feel weaker, and don't look any leaner.

mdsfx

Unless you're cutting for a bodybuilding show, I don't see any reason to cut creatine. When I stop taking it I recover slower, feel weaker, and don't look any leaner.
Is the water retention from creatine happening throughout the body or is it somehow only within muscle tissue?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Yea I might back on dat dere creatine. It helps me retain water and there's a nice stength boost...I don't consume much sodium so I pour sweat, mostly my head.

GrapeApes

I don't follow or watch anyone on YouTube. Am I doing this wrong?.
Its a good time killer. Plus motivation at times (actions not words.) Seeing guys the same build/size as you killing it on their lifts. When you got guys ~170 (most likely natty) pulling 7 plates it just gives you hope. I ain't really start fucking with YouTube until I stumbled on this thread.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Its a good time killer. Plus motivation at times (actions not words.) Seeing guys the same build/size as you killing it on their lifts. When you got guys ~170 (most likely natty) pulling 7 plates it just gives you hope. I ain't really start fucking with YouTube until I stumbled on this thread.
Yeah I get that. I guess I don't really have a desire to lift heavier right now so that wouldn't do much for me. DLing 675 at 170 is insane. 525 at 175 damn near killed me!

16BitNova

Fit Gaf. I need some advice. I'm about 7-8 months into working out. At first I was doing whole body workouts every other day but, now I'm starting to get into the somewhat heavier weights (heavy for me anyway) and im now I'm trying to find a routine that works for me.

Now, im not asking for a routine specifically, what I'm wondering is which muscle groups should I work out on the same day? What I'm thinking so far is Day 1: Chest, triceps, shoulders. Day 2: Back, Biceps. Day 3: Abs (core) and legs. Repeat 1, Repeat 2, Repeat 3, Rest Day.

My problem is I was researching online for hints on what's best and apparently My Day 1 routine might be bad since I may be over training because they all use the same muscle groups (pushing). Is this right? Or is my routine okay? Or maybe you guys can tell me some other options? Thanks guys any help would be awesome!

Does anyone have a suggested mixture for a custom mix from Truenutrition.com? I have never used the site before but have heard good things from GAF in the past. I'm basically just looking for a mixture that has ~20g protein and 10g carbs per scoop without a bunch of extra shit (which I seemingly cannot find at GNC or other such stores).

Anything specific I should try? Thinking of just doing their chocolate flavor with like 75% whey protein isolate, 10% MCT oils, 10% sucrose, 5% fiber (I forget exactly what it is called).

ILoveBish

Felt so tired again today, not sure what's going on. Felt strong but not encouraged. Ate at lunch and hit the gym and felt terrific at that point, and hit every single rep on the compound and accessories, getting 195x1 on overhead press easy and even holding it up for 3 seconds at the top of the lift for fun.

Deadlift tomorrow and this 1s week is over successfully. Still eating 1750 calories a day, 17g net carbs per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom