• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kureransu

Yep, I'm not chasing numbers at all. I am strong, want to look lean and have a flat stomach.

That's exactly how i feel. I feel like I want my results of my hard work to be seen inside AND outside the gym. I'm about the same weight as you right now (but i think i'm a bit weaker/shorter) but i'm chasing that look as well now.

ILoveBish

That's exactly how i feel. I feel like I want my results of my hard work to be seen inside AND outside the gym. I'm about the same weight as you right now (but i think i'm a bit weaker/shorter) but i'm chasing that look as well now.

Right on man. The more I lean out, the more comments I get about how muscular I look. Was at Fry's the other day and the guy working there said that I was very friendly for someone so buff. I laughed.

TripOpt55

Is there a general area where my OHP should be compared to my Flat Bench? Like % wise maybe as far as maxes go? I never gave OHP a lot of attention when I lifted when I was younger. I guess I'm just curious how far I'm lagging behind on it.

Depends on how long you have to train. If you only have an hour, I'd say split them up because it takes me a good 20-30 minutes to warm up and get to a decent working weight in either lift.

i typically only have about an hour.

i'm finding it increasingly difficult to justify staying at my current gym (LA Fitness) because they lack bumper plates. when i was with my coach, i didnt mind lifting heavy because i could just dump the bar without any issues.

not being to dump/bail makes me more hesitant to go up in weight.

Chocobro

for oly lifters, do you clean & jerk and snatch the same day or split them up into different days?

for the past month (since learning oly), my workouts have been going like this:

"A" days C&J:
3x5 Front Squats
3x5 ohp (overhead press)
5x3 C&J

"B" days Snatch:
5x3 ohs (overhead squats)
3x5 bench
5x3 snatch

i would start incorporating pulls but my gym doesnt have bumper plates.

Generally separate days, but it's not uncommon to have one day in the week where you snatch and CNJ in the same session.

Some tips for your A and B day, assuming you're serious about weightlifting. Snatch and CNJ (variations) are usually done at the beginning of the session, not at the end. Front/back squats are done near or at the end. Benching may affect your overhead positioning so even more reason to snatch before bench.

Generally separate days, but it's not uncommon to have one day in the week where you snatch and CNJ in the same session.

Some tips for your A and B day, assuming you're serious about weightlifting. Snatch and CNJ (variations) are usually done at the beginning of the session, not at the end. Front/back squats are done near or at the end. Benching may affect your overhead positioning so even more reason to snatch before bench.

thanks. i'll switch it up.

and yeah, i'm pretty serious about weight lifting (especially oly).

the goal is to compete either end of this year or sometime next year. gotta find a coach and a new gym though.

This is my (embarrassing, but I feel like I need to post it if I'm going to commit) weight gain that I was at about 2 weeks ago (though I did almost add about 25% to all my lifts with about a 20lbs weight gain) at about 210lbs:

nYfx9b4.jpg

So now I'm hoping to hit about 185lbs.

Currently my lifts are

Bench (weakest): 265lbs
Back Squat: 385lbs
Front squat: 315lbs
Deadlift: 450lbs
Overhead press: 160lbs
Clean: 265lbs

Slowly but surely making progress. The picture above was from the beginning of March. This is today. Down almost 6lbs in 3 weeks. Starting to get a little definition back, hopeful that if I can cut down about 20 more pounds more I'll start to look pretty defined. Thoughts? Will I need to go even further? 20lbs down would put me at about 185lbs. I have a hard time estimating my body fat sometimes because I grew up fat thinking I was just "normal" so now I feel like I'm too hard on myself, or maybe I'm kidding myself and I'm way fatter. Helpful for me to hear some feedback.

image.png

In good news, I just snagged a shipment of 72 quest bars for $100 shipped. I'm pretty stoked about that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Salmonella is on the shell, not the egg. I've been eating half-cooked gooey goodness my whole life without issues. A nice runny over easy egg on a burger is insane, too. That sweet, sweet yellowy goodness!

Is that so? Could you completely eradicate even the possibility of salmonella by washing the eggs beforehand?

BumRush

Is there a general area where my OHP should be compared to my Flat Bench? Like % wise maybe as far as maxes go? I never gave OHP a lot of attention when I lifted when I was younger. I guess I'm just curious how far I'm lagging behind on it.

Id say there's a general range but everyone is so different. What are you at currently?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
If I lose three more pounds in the next 11 days, I'll be able to see what a year of what the following has done for me in the mirror:

1. Less than two workouts in a week only five times, average of about three
2. Weight fluctuates up and down 18 pounds

Strength increases have sadly been pretty marginal. +10 or so pounds to pressing movements and +40 or so to squats and deads. Power cleans are about +30 though, so that's something.

new goal, Toma Tonga from NJPW

CdbqzS9UsAEFRHb.jpg

but at the time it was the best you had looked so far so that deserved praise.

at least that's how I see things about the progress thing.

the first years are a lose-lose scenario, the way I see it.

.- got abs and defining lines? nice. Your arms, traps and chest are non-existent, failure.

.- got mass? nice. You look like a nice pudgy doughy boy. failure.

I guess it's possible to follow a path that remains aesthetically consistent through the years but it takes like a decade (I assume) til we can speak of muscle mass

true true! but even then I think people were too kind, progress was indeed made but fuck, I could have done a better job physically haha.

Everyone deserves kindness especially when they are working hard to change

Then again it was you, so you're right, people should have been meaner to your terrible ass! I'll never forgive you for the beatdown you gave me at Virtua Fighter 5 FS during Fight of Fighters 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ff-F9e9KQE

I can't believe that vid is 3.5 years old. Wow.

Ugh, between getting sick and having to study for 12+ hours a day for Step1, I've been finding it pretty hard to eat right. I still have a healthy morning shake, but everything after that is ugh. Plus I haven't been to the gym since Monday since getting sick. Feels bad, but I know I wouldn't be 100% in the gym if I'm not actually 100%.

JoeNut

i have really slacked over the last 2 weeks from being super busy and out of the office at work (my gym is in my work block)

Going to have to go for it big style today

I'm feeling wrecked no matter how much sleep I'm getting at the moment, and despite hitting my (frankly ridiculous) calorie targets, I'm not putting on any more weight. I really, really don't want to increase it again, can't deal with any more.

BumRush

I'm feeling wrecked no matter how much sleep I'm getting at the moment, and despite hitting my (frankly ridiculous) calorie targets, I'm not putting on any more weight. I really, really don't want to increase it again, can't deal with any more.

How clean are you bulking? Go ultra dirty bulk for a couple of weeks and you'll definitely gain

I've never done properly clean, it's pointless. Funny thing is, if I threw my calorie targets out the window and just went for it, I'd likely lose weight. It's so goddamn hard to hit 4k calories whilst intermittent fasting.

I know the answer to that, of course, but I really don't want to go back unless I absolutely have to.

Faiz

I've never done properly clean, it's pointless. Funny thing is, if I threw my calorie targets out the window and just went for it, I'd likely lose weight. It's so goddamn hard to hit 4k calories whilst intermittent fasting.

I know the answer to that, of course, but I really don't want to go back unless I absolutely have to.

Are lifts stuck in addition to body weight?

Lifts have been progressing, bench aside of course (of course!)... not gone up as much as they should have compared to my body weight, but then I've never progressed like a normal person, I'm guessing due to all the cycling.

Squat will have taken a dip, because of my injury, but I wont know how much until I've tried to work my way back up to my previous max.

mdsfx

Ugh. Fuck this week. Cardio and fasting on a calorie defecit sucks for lifting.

Progress pic. Don't look much different than last year, but at least I'm stronger :/

Edit: Notice the red spot near my belly button? Still a patch of shingles left, but that shit is almost gone! :)

Faiz

Lifts have been progressing, bench aside of course (of course!)... not gone up as much as they should have compared to my body weight, but then I've never progressed like a normal person, I'm guessing due to all the cycling.

Squat will have taken a dip, because of my injury, but I wont know how much until I've tried to work my way back up to my previous max.

I wouldn't sweat it then, if I were you. If lifts really halt or you get to the point mentally where it's just too much food and you can't take it anymore, I'd end the bulk. But that's just me! God knows I'm no example, lol.

mdsfx

Mikey, have you ever tried Daisy Cutter (Two Acres brewing company in Chicago)? If not, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOOOOOOOOR???
Fuck yes I have. Are you kidding? Isn't that Half Acre though? Think you might be mixing the name up with another excellent, local brewery very close to me called Two Brothers :)

BumRush

Fuck yes I have are you kidding? Isn't that Half Acre though? Think you might be mixing the name up with another excellent, local brewery very close to me called Two Brothers :)

Yup!! Sorry, you're absolutely right (I was...uh...testing you)!

Great beer though. We don't get it in NY much but I grabbed a few the other day and as soon as I saw it was brewed in Chicago I thought "I'll bet Mike is all over it"

Oooh I see delerium and chimay in there. Ever tried an Austrian beer called Samiclaus? One of the strangest beers I've ever had...

Just checked untapped, and yes, apparently I have. The Helles version, seems I gave it 3/5, which usually means it's drinkable, but I wouldn't get it again.

Edit - As for the weight thing, the whole beer belly bit is somewhat of a myth. Sure, beer has calories (and I wouldn't do it on a weights day, for reasons) but as with everything else, all in moderation. That's partly why I go for the high quality, very strong beers. You're not going to glug most of them down... at least not and be able to walk or talk afterwards.

I'd probably go for the really dark stuff. I particularly enjoy some of the more unusual beers from Harviestoun: http://harviestoun.com/our-beers/old-engine-oil

Almost impossible for me to pick an all time favourite though. I've tried waaaaay too many for that. Tripel Karmeliet by Brouwerij Bosteels is one I keep going back to though.

I just really love trying as many as I can. Such a ridiculous variety available.

BumRush

I'm an IPA and stout guy. There's just so many good beers and breweries popping up right now that it's the golden age for beer lovers. Going to pick up some watermelon Dorado by ballast point today which I'm fired up about.

bchamba

I had to get a new phone because my old one may have gotten wet swimming with dolphins so now all my Fit Notes data is lost and every set I do is considered a PR!

Ugh. Fuck this week. Cardio and fasting on a calorie defecit sucks for lifting.

Progress pic. Don't look much different than last year, but at least I'm stronger :/

Edit: Notice the red spot near my belly button? Still a patch of shingles left, but that shit is almost gone! :)

looking solid

I think if you focus on your traps/delts, it will give you a wider look and you will be mad beastly.

ACE 1991

As far as isolation tricep exercises ago, what are your favorite mass builders? Currently I'm only really doing high rep cable pushdowns. I tried skull crushers but I had a hard time really feeling it in my triceps despite doing them with light weight to start.

despire

As far as isolation tricep exercises ago, what are your favorite mass builders? Currently I'm only really doing high rep cable pushdowns. I tried skull crushers but I had a hard time really feeling it in my triceps despite doing them with light weight to start.

I like dumbbell pullovers quite a lot. Set up is faster than with skullcrushers/LTE's and it hits your serratus/chest as well.

KillerBEA

My alcoholic beverage of choice, would buy it more often if it weren't $30 a bottle

47PkfRA.jpg

In other news. I couldn't complete my cardio workout, left leg hurt too much for some reason. Decided to to do some additional arms and back work to round off the workout.

ACE 1991

I like dumbbell pullovers quite a lot. Set up is faster than with skullcrushers/LTE's and it hits your serratus/chest as well.

Cool, I'll check this out!

In other news, I have a pretty steep 100 step staircase near my apartment (for anyone in Philly, it's the 100 steps leading to Wissahickon Park in Manayunk) and walked up and down it 30x with my fully loaded frame pack for some conditioning before my Grand Canyon multiday trip. Legs were super shaky at the end but aren't really sore. Going to do it again this evening after leg day, I'm going to die.

I tried skull crushers but I had a hard time really feeling it in my triceps despite doing them with light weight to start.

Try decline or reverse grip. For a lot of people their chest / shoulders take over on standard grip. That aside, I've always liked things like bench dips, sphinx pushups, side leaning tricep extensions and front to back tricep extensions.

For some reason bent over tricep extensions never worked for me. Probably because of shit form.

In other news, I have a pretty steep 100 step staircase near my apartment (for anyone in Philly, it's the 100 steps leading to Wissahickon Park in Manayunk) and walked up and down it 30x with my fully loaded frame pack for some conditioning before my Grand Canyon multiday trip. Legs were super shaky at the end but aren't really sore. Going to do it again this evening after leg day, I'm going to die.

I like doing that with seriously heavy dumbbells. Utterly wrecks your calves. :)

Cool, I'll check this out!

i'm good with stairs because i had to walk up and down 24 flight of stairs on the trip not too long ago... then drag some luggages up with me... (elevator was broken because it was so heavily used that day)

Try decline or reverse grip. For a lot of people their chest / shoulders take over on standard grip. That aside, I've always liked things like bench dips, sphinx pushups, side leaning tricep extensions and front to back tricep extensions.

For some reason bent over tricep extensions never worked for me. Probably because of shit form.

I like doing that with seriously heavy dumbbells. Utterly wrecks your calves. :)
I'll add to the skulls:

I keep my arm perpendicular to the floor only on the contraction. As I extend I rotate my arm up to keep gravity pulling the weight on my traps. Straight up/down is ehhhh. At full extension the barbell/dumbbells are "over" my head.

Another tip is to strap your elbows with a bungee to keep them pointing down the length of the body to prevent flaring.

I also prefer using dumbbells to get the contraction past my head in either side and hammer them up.

Big difference in all those for me with activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom