• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1400 calories going into dinner tonight. Shit ton of pizza, Chinese or pancakes. Decide my fate, fitgaf!
Chinese bro! Get the largest order of Mongolian Beef and a few orders of Egg Rolls!

Goddamn. Now I want some Mongolian and Rolls from this place down the street. They are fucking amazing.

BumRush

Chinese bro! Get the largest order of Mongolian Beef and a few orders of Egg Rolls!

Goddamn. Now I want some Mongolian and Rolls from this place down the street. They are fucking amazing.

Chinese food (at least what us Americans call Chinese food) is incredible. There are days where my re-feed lunch will be a pint of this, a pint of that and an egg roll. That has to be 2000 calories right there and it's SO good.

Boneless spare ribs, beef and snowpeas, shrimp lo mein, moo shu pork....

SeanR1221

Chinese. Always Chinese.

Come on over for some corned beef and cabbage, cottage pie, soda bread and guinness!

This sounds good too!

I made a cheesecake for the weekend. Right now doing PSMF for weekdays and keto on weekends.

Chinese food (at least what us Americans call Chinese food) is incredible. There are days where my re-feed lunch will be a pint of this, a pint of that and an egg roll. That has to be 2000 calories right there and it's SO good.

Sounds like Chinese it is! I might get a big chicken dish and a side of Dan Dan noodles. Hmmmmm

What a strange session. Really felt like I just wasn't putting effort in, and couldn't really bring myself to either. Oddly though, some things went quite well (others, not so much).

Good news though, legs felt OK on squats, and I took it to about 90% of my previous max. Tried bands around my knees for the first time... was a pain in the arse to get into place with them there, but I really think they helped.

Anyone have any recommendations for exercise bike seat cushions that actually make a difference and feel good?

Only real answer is to use it more and HTFU.

Seriously though, the one I have on my turbo bike is like a razor blade. Once you're used to spending time on it though, it really doesn't matter.

Boneless spare ribs

Boneless? The fuck is this madness. If you're not gnawing it off the bone, you're not a real man.

You'd arguably be better off spending your money on a pair of padded shorts if you plan on spending a decent time on it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So, my shoulders are all sorts of fucked up. Bench, OHP, rows, weighted dips, lateral and front raises, pull ups and pull downs, shrugs... I've been going too hard. I almost dropped the weight on myself trying to bench today when my right shoulder popped and started hurting.

Taking a week off of lifting.

mdsfx

I did pizza and cookies tonight.

#cleanbulk

Your warm-up probably burns all of those calories off anyway.

On another note, I just have to say how much cycling has improved my running. Unlike running, when I cycle my legs feel like they're on fire pretty much the entire time. It is done great things for stamina!

Funny thing is, pretty much the least fit poster here would be able to beat me at running. I just can't do it. I can pretty much go for a minute and then everything just falls apart.

Hateful pastime!

ILoveBish

Won't run just because I don't want to do any damage to my joints. The new home gym will have an elliptical, so I'll start doing hiit on that.

crpav

I got big into running in 2004 and got myself up to running for about an hour or so every day. Yeah everyday. I also shot hoops for an hour or 3 every Saturday and eventually played basketball 1 to 2 times a week for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. Best cardio shape of my life until I blew out my knee....twice. Once playing basketball then again in softball.

Had to have my ACL replaced, major torn meniscus "repaired" and also had some bone damage. Never been the same since and now I do not like running. My hips, knees, ankles...everything just do not handle it well anymore.

mdsfx

Won't run just because I don't want to do any damage to my joints. The new home gym will have an elliptical, so I'll start doing hiit on that.
Pish posh, how do you expect to run down prey for food if you can't run?

Also, this might be hilarious to you guys, but setting this reminder has helped me stay in control of my cravings in the evenings lol
WGY534p.jpg

ILoveBish

Pish posh, how do you expect to run down prey for food if you can't run?

If anything my childhood of jrpgs has taught me, it's that there are plenty of towns with inns that have food. Also final fight shows that fully cooked turkeys hide in barrels and stacks of tires. It's just science.

mdsfx

Woohooo! 10% BF again (close to high 9s)! Yaaaassssss. F*cking pigging out tomorrow.

Cooter, I will make you proud.

mdsfx

Out of interest, how are you doing your measuring?

Calipers. I know they aren't 100%, but measurements are consistent at least. I measure the same spots 3-4 times and take an average. You have to force yourself not to cheat by squeezing though, which many people do.

I suppose I could be as high as 11%, but I don't think 12.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Woohooo! 10% BF again (close to high 9s)! Yaaaassssss. F*cking pigging out tomorrow.

Cooter, I will make you proud.

Been busy this week and just been popping in to keep updated. I'm on full hype mode for Batman v Superman!

I expect 5 digit cheating Mikey.

TripOpt55

Id say there's a general range but everyone is so different. What are you at currently?

Late to respond to this (I was asking where OHP should be compared to Bench), but my Bench is probably around 290 (I'm guessing as my strength numbers have dropped a bit since losing some weight and haven't maxed out in a while). The most I have done on OHP since coming back to it (I was doing mostly seated shoulder presses for a bit because of a back issue) was 155 though I think I could perhaps do a bit more. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it and just try to improve it, but I guess I was curious how out of whack things were.

BumRush

Late to respond to this (I was asking where OHP should be compared to Bench), but my Bench is probably around 290 (I'm guessing as my strength numbers have dropped a bit since losing some weight and haven't maxed out in a while). The most I have done on OHP since coming back to it (I was doing mostly seated shoulder presses for a bit because of a back issue) was 155 though I think I could perhaps do a bit more. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it and just try to improve it, but I guess I was curious how out of whack things were.

How much do you weigh?

TripOpt55

Your bench is great! Your OHP is probably lagging a bit (compared to your bench) but its not bad at all. Just keep working on it...do some extra shoulder accessories and just hit it as much as possible.

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I could definitely probably do some more accessory work for shoulders than I am at the moment.

Felt good this morning. Did like 2 warmup sets on bench and hit 275 no prob. Went up smooth. Decided to give try number 2 paused. Hit it no problem. Still felt good, shot for 280, fell flat on my ass XD

Not missing it by much. Spotter said she barely assisted so that's cool. 275 is fine for now. I don't usually check 1RM as I'm more concerned with maxing out reps on sets but it's still nice to see. Will be hitting squats, OHP and deads just to see where I'm at. Squats and Deads will be one-shot. I won't be able to go 3 attempts with my lower back. So I'd better math them as best I can. I feel good with OHP and my back so I don't see any reason I couldn't try for 3. Just need to be spot on with form :D

ILoveBish

Weigh'd in at 220.0 even after having cheesecake with strawberry jam and whipped cream last night (all low carb of coz). Getting so close. Will be eating a bit this weekend but all keto, and right back to PSMF monday morning. We're doing our final house walk through tomorrow, so i'm going to measure the garage to see how big of a rack i can fit and get that ordered as well. SO HYPED DAMN.

We're doing our final house walk through tomorrow, so i'm going to measure the garage to see how big of a rack i can fit and get that ordered as well. SO HYPED DAMN.

Sweeeet.

Reminds me, when I move I'm going to get the wooden rafters replaced in mine so I have more headroom.

BumRush

Weigh'd in at 220.0 even after having cheesecake with strawberry jam and whipped cream last night (all low carb of coz). Getting so close. Will be eating a bit this weekend but all keto, and right back to PSMF monday morning. We're doing our final house walk through tomorrow, so i'm going to measure the garage to see how big of a rack i can fit and get that ordered as well. SO HYPED DAMN.

So excited for you my man!

Ive been running again for about a month in some nice Sauconys and ive lost 2 kgs which is great but im looking for something to mix in with running and tohelp me trim and tone up, and plough through 10 kgs in 3 months. Ive been looking at buying a waterrower to start up a rowing regieme. Anyone have any experience with the waterrower or just rowing in general? I just want to get fit and toned, lose belly fat not to bulk up at all.

Calderc

Started off a few months ago weighing 10 stone (140lbs), weighed in today at 10 stone 11 (151lbs) and gotta say I'm feeling pretty good about it. Always really struggled to eat enough to gain weight and while I realise not all my gains are muscle, I still look better than I ever have :D

Keeping my goals small, so looking to hit 11 stone, then 12 etc. Hopefully keep it manageable.

I missed this :/

Late but yeah :D The place by my house has peeps drive from all over the place and it's not a huge restaurant or chain, either.

But dat shrimp lo mein, Mongolian beef - hnnnnng.

Took mom out for her birthday last night and she wanted Chinese so I was stoked. I'm always in that place and they are super nice so when they saw me with my mom they figured it was for a reason since they never see her so they brought out a huge plate of Crab Rangoon for us no charge. Tanked that shit down with about 3 egg rolls and my entire plate of Chicken.

I was feeling kinda stuffed but man it was worth it :D

And this morning I'm about to throw down some Kodiak Power Cakes per Sean.

BumRush

Late but yeah :D The place by my house has peeps drive from all over the place and it's not a huge restaurant or chain, either.

Took mom out for her birthday last night and she wanted Chinese so I was stoked. I'm always in that place and they are super nice so when they saw me with my mom they figured it was for a reason since they never see her so they brought out a huge plate of Crab Rangoon for us no charge. Tanked that shit down with about 3 egg rolls and my entire plate of Chicken.

Haha! Yes! I love when random food places know you well enough to do that.

SeanR1221

Yes!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Do you really want my answer?

Was it all three combined in a bowl?

Ugh, did two hard hours on the turbo trainer last night, had three hours sleep, then went for a six hour ride which included a 20 minute push up a ridiculously steep hill.

I feel completely wrecked.

justjim89

Could someone give me some advice on my lifting routine? I'm more focused on cutting fat these days, but I enjoy lifting and I figure I may as well tone up while losing weight. I'm sure I'm not doing it efficiently, and would really appreciate some feedback on it.

I'll typically lift three times a week, and my routine is as follows:

-Leg press 5 sets of 5
-Calf extension 5 sets of 10
-Either leg curl or leg extension 5 sets of 5
-Weighted crunches machine 4 sets of 20
-Dips 3 sets of 10
-Back extension 5 sets of 5
-Triceps extension 5 sets of 5
-Bench 5 sets of 5
-Squats 5 sets of 5
-Seated dumbbell shoulder press 5 sets of 5
-Flat dumbbell fly 5 sets of 10
-Shrugs 5 sets of 10
-Bent over dumbbell rows 5 sets of 5 for each arm
-Seated dumbbell curls 5 sets of 5 for each arm

Am I doing too much at once? Should I divide up different muscle groups into different days? All told, going through all this usually takes me about 90 minutes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That's awesome, man!

Hoping to do the same and buy a house within the next couple of years. Maybe even next year. A garage with a high enough ceiling for a rack will be an absolute must.

To be able to just walk into my own garage and lift some weights whenever I feel like it is kind of a dream.

BumRush

Could someone give me some advice on my lifting routine? I'm more focused on cutting fat these days, but I enjoy lifting and I figure I may as well tone up while losing weight. I'm sure I'm not doing it efficiently, and would really appreciate some feedback on it.

I'll typically lift three times a week, and my routine is as follows:

-Leg press 5 sets of 5
-Calf extension 5 sets of 10
-Either leg curl or leg extension 5 sets of 5
-Weighted crunches machine 4 sets of 20
-Dips 3 sets of 10
-Back extension 5 sets of 5
-Triceps extension 5 sets of 5
-Bench 5 sets of 5
-Squats 5 sets of 5
-Seated dumbbell shoulder press 5 sets of 5
-Flat dumbbell fly 5 sets of 10
-Shrugs 5 sets of 10
-Bent over dumbbell rows 5 sets of 5 for each arm
-Seated dumbbell curls 5 sets of 5 for each arm

Am I doing too much at once? Should I divide up different muscle groups into different days? All told, going through all this usually takes me about 90 minutes.

You do that every time at the gym? If so, yes, you're doing waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Let me know and I'll suggest something better. Just making sure I understood it right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom