• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

More power to you if you can run a marathon.

I do want to ride a century one of these days, though. That's something I know I can accomplish. There's a really good one up my way called The Flattest Century In The East. It's in September. Registration hasn't opened yet so maybe I should go for it this year. I need to invest in a road bike.

HawkeyeIC

What are your goals? I started off on SL5x5.

You say you're terribly out of shape. What's your history with the gym? Depends on if this is your first rodeo or not.

Need to lose 50lbs at least (would like to be under 200). I have a pretty long history with the gym. I've lifted since I was in high school (15+ years ago, I'm 33 now) but have pretty much been inactive for about 2 years, hence the weight gain.

So I'm really just trying to get a base layer of muscle on through 5x5. I know diet is going to be the main driver here, but if I can expedite weight loss through cardio on off days or something, I'm up for it.

mdsfx

So we have our OT name...

YES! Sean should be featured in the OP. Actually, it would be sweet to have a few of our local experts featured, but i know that's extra work and would be up to them.

A Brolic video might be sweet. Maybe we can get a shot of Psycho cycling and eating peanut butter? lol

Szu

YES! Sean should be featured in the OP. Actually, it would be sweet to have a few of our local experts featured, but i know that's extra work and would be up to them.

A Brolic video might be sweet. Maybe we can get a shot of Psycho cycling and eating peanut butter? lol

How about we get him a bicycle made of peanut butter?

tumblr_n5wdf9d8q11qzcdbeo1_500.jpg

mdsfx

^ lol

So I've used this website before for caffeine content in coffee from brand to brand, but I had no idea they had a page for supplements! Pretty cool.

Edit: Anyone familiar with "NADH"? How does it compare to caffeine? Can't seem to find a clear answer online...

XD I feel so loved.

I blame rest week for the increased cognizance.

110% with these.

SeanR1221

Very flattering but I think we discussed this back a few OTs ago, and the general consensus was to not feature members and keep it neutral just so we don't push anyone (novel) away.

mdsfx

Very flattering but I think we discussed this back a few OTs ago, and the general consensus was to not feature members and keep it neutral just so we don't push anyone (novel) away.
Then we'll all just have to meet up for a group photo. There's no other solution.

ILoveBish

Starting a new job tomorrow near my new house. The guy who was installing my flooring has disappeared, phone goes strait to voicemail. He finished the bedrooms but the living room is all cement right now. He left all his tools at the house. Hopefully he's OK and will finish the floors so I can freaking move in.

Stress from all the life changes, eating is all over the place. Haven't been to the gym in over a week. I feel like if I go and don't get what I need to do, I'll be even more stressed since it's such a shit gym. Need my home gym more then ever.

We're so close to getting back to normalcy. I miss is dearly.

Thanks for the reply!

Did you notice this same thing happening before you began intermittent fasting (if you can remember that far back!)?

This never happened before fasting.

Beyond 5-3-1, what do you guys suggest?

Boring but Big?
3 month challenge?
Joker sets?

First set last, joker sets, and prepilin's chart. I've been messing around with prepilin in a 3/5/1 program for a few months now. Gives you more leeway on going hard on good days and just getting by on days where you feel like shit.

First set last you do as many as possible?

Brolic made a good point about these to me awhile ago. I believe he does 10 overall and breaks them into sets. I try to do two sets of 5 but its really just get 10 done. This is what I've been doing. Brolic if I misspoke for you let me know. It was awhile ago.

Anyone else way better at 1rm/worse at high reps than the calculators say? I started doing 3 x 10's and I find it so much more difficult than singles.

Anyone else way better at 1rm/worse at high reps than the calculators say? I started doing 3 x 10's and I find it so much more difficult than singles.

Any exercise in particular?

I found that to be happening on leg lifts mostly (squat/deadlift). I believe the reason is that you have to lift your own body weight as well, which makes it a lot harder on higher reps.

First set last, joker sets, and prepilin's chart. I've been messing around with prepilin in a 3/5/1 program for a few months now. Gives you more leeway on going hard on good days and just getting by on days where you feel like shit.
Few questions on this...

1: Any particular advantage to 3/5/1? I've seen two people here switch to that.
2: What do you guys do about accessories if you have a particularly good day? The other day I ended up doing four sets of jokers / 16 reps on 1SL and it took absolutely ages including the rest periods. By the time I was finished I'd gone way over my intended session length (which is already huge because of all the mobility work I do).
3: What's preplin? Doesn't seem to be in the book (beyond).

Any exercise in particular?

I found that to be happening on leg lifts mostly (squat/deadlift). I believe the reason is that you have to lift your own body weight as well, which makes it a lot harder on higher reps.

Leg focussed exercises put a much bigger toll on your CV system once you go past a few reps. If you ever use a heart rate monitor, take a look at your heart rate after doing 16 reps of squats vs 16 reps of bench (at near your max for that amount of reps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom