• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One 2023 |OT| Back to Black

Best Livery award goes to

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

What the fuck happened to the Alfa's? Did they get the biggest boost from the 'new' Pirelli tyres? I don't think they'll stay in top10 in the race, but if they do I will be double shocked.

Max is gonna break the speed of light at Monza this year.

I feel like he figured out how to drive the upgrades today and he's all giddy about it. We're gonna see even bigger margins now.

cormack12

Gold Member
Mercedes man, just don't know what their play is now to be honest. It's clear the Maclaren is much better overall.

I'm more disappointed that Ferrari have had such a massive drop off. Aston are going backwards. And Red Bull keep on going.

Biggest surprise of today Max not pitting for softs just for fun at the end.

xrnzaaas

Russell was doing very good today. To get P6 from P18 is a great result. Lewis also recovered after losing to Max and the McLaren's during the first stint and 2-3 more laps and it's likely he'd be on the podium instead of Checo.

Ferrari is a continued trainwreck, the drivers don't work together and are pissed, they messed up the pitstop, plus they've done the last stint on hards with McL, RBR and Merc's on mediums.

Aston gradually getting worse is no surprise. They've built a great car, but they fail at developing it. McLaren's return continues to be very unexpected - to get from being backmarkers to having a second podium in a row and 2nd best team doesn't happen often within the same season.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My midseason notes for Formula 1:

- Every track should have a distinct geographical visual (ocean, mountains, desert, Eifel Tower etc...). If locale doesn't have one, race should take place at night.
- If you get lapped by 1st place (blue flag) your race should be over. Drivers in place 20 - 11 should pit immediately when that happens.
- F1 needs to find a way to slow down the top teams and speed up the slow teams. Reverse DRS on 1st place when they get 10+ second lead in race.
- Cars should be fully painted so they look vastly different on track. No more of this carbon fiber BS. Team cars should be instantly recognizable during race.
- Teams should be nationality oriented like Street Fighter. Red Bull should have 50 percent or more Austrian employees. Both drivers should be Austrian.

You're welcome F1. I just made you thousands of dollars.

Aston gradually getting worse is no surprise. They've built a great car, but they fail at developing it. McLaren's return continues to be very unexpected - to get from being backmarkers to having a second podium in a row and 2nd best team doesn't happen often within the same season.
The F1 gods have sacrificed Aston for the McLaren. Nando for Lando.

xrnzaaas

- Every track should have a distinct geographical visual (ocean, mountains, desert, Eifel Tower etc...). If locale doesn't have one, race should take place at night.
- If you get lapped by 1st place (blue flag) your race should be over. Drivers in place 20 - 11 should pit immediately when that happens.
- F1 needs to find a way to slow down the top teams and speed up the slow teams. Reverse DRS on 1st place when they get 10+ second lead in race.
- Cars should be fully painted so they look vastly different on track. No more of this carbon fiber BS. Team cars should be instantly recognizable during race.
- Teams should be nationality oriented like Street Fighter. Red Bull should have 50 percent or more Austrian employees. Both drivers should be Austrian.

Domenicali liked this.

Some of these ideas are OK, but forcing teams to hire by nationality is a horrible idea on so many levels. This isn’t the Olympics lmfao.
Also sounds like an ethics committee would try to do, “let’s ignore talent and force organizations to hire by X criteria” bad bad idea and a slippery slope

Also I’m generally against anything that makes the cars slower. I think they should loosen the regulations and let the engineers go wild.

In the Sprint today,
The penalty on Hamilton was too harsh. What happened to “it’s a motor race” and “it’s just hard driving”? I didn’t see anything intentional there.

4ycANsR.jpg

Watched this a bit late but this was a good video. Like his analysis of the race.

Also, I hate to admit this because I like Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton, but it just doesn’t seem like they are going to get that magic back anytime soon. The hard part for me to swallow as a fan is coming to the realization that without the ability for them to spend 300, 400, or even 500 million dollars and essentially throw money at problems, they just can’t seem to get it together. The cost cap seems to have exposed them. Sadly. At this point I’m hoping they can figure something out for the next set of regulations. Just don’t seem them making any forward progress until then. I’d love to be wrong tho.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its not like Perez is absolutely dominating in the same car. Its just that Max is a force of nature. He already won like 9 GPs when Merc was still at the top of their game, and won the championship by a controversial call. But alas, he was head to head with Mercedes either way.

Max should go to a worse team, like Aston Martin or McLaren. Max was a joy to watch when his team was third place, starting from 5th he had to take risks and sometimes managed to scrape a win. He crossed the line, but this was 4 years ago. He's older and wiser now. I think it would be fun seeing him at McLaren.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Watched this a bit late but this was a good video. Like his analysis of the race.

Also, I hate to admit this because I like Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton, but it just doesn’t seem like they are going to get that magic back anytime soon. The hard part for me to swallow as a fan is coming to the realization that without the ability for them to spend 300, 400, or even 500 million dollars and essentially throw money at problems, they just can’t seem to get it together. The cost cap seems to have exposed them. Sadly. At this point I’m hoping they can figure something out for the next set of regulations. Just don’t seem them making any forward progress until then. I’d love to be wrong tho.

I would not worry about Merc and 2026. They will be the team again with the new engine regulations. Redbull is all ready complaining about 2026 because they are behind in engine development and more importantly the electrical part that makes up 50% of engine power.

I would not worry about Merc and 2026. They will be the team again with the new engine regulations. Redbull is all ready complaining about 2026 because they are behind in engine development and more importantly the electrical part that makes up 50% of engine power.
Fingers crossed 🤞
At this point there have been so many “Mercedes is back” hype trains that I just don’t believe any of them anymore. I’ll believe it when I see it. All they need is 1 more good car and 1 more good year so Lewis can get that 8th title (which he should already have imo) and break Schumachers record.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

it has nothing to do with the budget cap
Redbull was spending the same and even more from 2014 to 2020 and didn't catch up
Redbull even explained that the didn't catch the trick until half of 2020, they said if they found that earlier during winter testing they would have won 2020
and you can see that in the 2021 when redbull was the fastest car ( Said by newey)

it comes all down to nailing the regs, Mercedes's mistake was the the zeropods they put too much into that without considering that the car will never be able to run at the height they wanted and that error was caused by their simulator and tools
you can see that even with a "failed car" they are still second
Ferrari took almost 3 years gap to focus on 2022 and still failed

the only effect that the budget cap does is that you can't bring upgrades to test everything you want, meaning that now the most important thing is the Simulator
if your simulator has good correlation it's over for the competition

Oracle has been a big help to redbull with their AI and mchine learning they are more advanced than any other team

for now the redbull is a rocketship, it is 1 second faster in race pace while doing lift and coast and saving tires, the true potential is even better some say its more than 2 seconds advantage over the others

SkylineRKR

Zandvoort is my fave track in F1 but I am biased. But not just because its in my country, but its a circuit at sea, dunes, i like the elevated corners.. its fast circuit too. I think in terms of entertainment and show, we deliver too.

However, they said you can't overtake. Well, Max was after his pit stop in 13th, and a few laps later he led the race. My boi Alonso grabbed second place even.

Red Bull can't be beat. Their strategies under whatever conditions, their pit stop times.. they lead in everything. Meanwhile Ferrari was being Ferrari again.

xrnzaaas

Lawson survived in such a difficult track, crazy rainy conditions and managed to overtake LeClerc. That's a win in my book.
Yeah for his first race with nearly zero preparation and a car that's unknown to him this was a good clean race in drastically changing conditions.

Nice to see Nando on the podium again, he's single handedly keeping Aston so high in the constructors. Also nice that Pierre got his first Alpine podium, even if he got lucky with Checo's penalty.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
So Ferrari are going to try and stop Max from breaking Sebs record eh?
I can see them blowing up around lap 41. I wonder if they've been running the engine lower all season after last seasons reliability issues. And they've thought fuck it for Monza.

I can see this being exciting, Max might not take the lead until lap 8, I'm also wondering if the Georgnado will strike at T1 and cause carnage.

Last edited:

Paasei

Hopefully this means the race will be fun to watch when it comes to the battle for 1st place. As much as I like Max it’s been very boring to see him win without a challenge.

Phobos Base

Despite the inevitable winner I enjoyed that, especially the Ferraris battling right to the end. Another great result for Albon but Aston Martin were completely anonymous. The days of people predicting that AM will finish second and Williams last seem a long time ago. Looks like the Vegas showcase is going to be a complete dead rubber as well.

xrnzaaas

The last few laps were quite interesting... ;)

fx67IoZ.jpg

I'm surprised Fred didn't aggressively intervene even though I understand both drivers wanted to be on the podium.

Well, Ferrari put up a fight, it was interesting there in the beginning, but Max is superhuman as always lol

Is he just going to win every race this season and create some ridiculous record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom