• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken - Official 4 Minute Gameplay Trailer

So it looks like there was a round table preview event with the wokest journalists in the biz who summarily grilled the producers on how many black developers/writers made the game, questioned how they came up with a black character, and congratulated them on how racist they are.
Man that article is something else.
While “meeting” the lead writers behind Forspoken was meant to curb any fears I had with how its protagonist was going to be handled,
"It's all about meeeeeeee!"

CGiRanger

Banned
Official video was taken down soon after the upload went live. I’m guessing they saw the backlash and took it down. This is a re-upload by someone who had saved the video before it was taken down.
There hasn't been any re-upload or new upload to replace the taken down version yet right?

Yeah, that makes it sound less like "we uploaded this mistakenly" and more like "oh shit, we're getting trashed in the feedback". Even so, taking down the video seems like an overreaction and doesn't bode well if that's their response to it. After all the point of getting feedback is to make changes based on that feedback.

When creators instead go "the fans and their feedback are shit!", well, we've seen what happened with certain recent examples (He-Man, Cowboy Bebop, etc.). When instead they should be like the Sonic film people and actually take the overwhelmingly negative feedback into account and fix things.

Last edited:
This has to be a parody account. it has to be.

SE has gone out of its way to appeal to western audiences for years now, but the moment they introduce a black female protagonist, oh boy thats when they've really crossed the line!

People like you are fucking hilarious. This entire industry spend decades trying to appeal to white male gamers with power fantasy "unshaven white dude" main characters. Now you're losing it over a female black protaganist and you suddenly care about "artistic integrity". Fucking lol mate.

It's not just the fact that she's black. I don't give a shit if character is black, dude. And yes, I do actually care about artistic integrity.

Also, the industry didn't "spend decades trying to appeal to white male gamers", the industry was almost entirely created by, and sustained for much of its early years, by white male gamers. There was no need to appeal to them. The relationship was a completely natural one, like it was between Japanese developers and their audience, and it's how we got the industry we have today.

Rykan

It's not just the fact that she's black. I don't give a shit if character is black, dude. And yes, I do actually care about artistic integrity.

Also, the industry didn't "spend decades trying to appeal to white male gamers", the industry was almost entirely created by, and sustained for much of its early years, by white male gamers. There was no need to appeal to them. The relationship was a completely natural one, like it was between Japanese developers and their audience, and it's how we got the industry we have today.
You do give a shit that the character is black because that's the whole point of your argument. The whole basis of your argument that it is a "Japanese company hiring a white guy to write a black woman" all while you're convinced that it's "The other side" that is obsessed with identity politics I'm sure.

Also, What?

"There was no need to appeal to them, the relationship was a completely natural one" LOL. What did I just read? Do you even know how marketing works? The "rough, unshaven white dude" that has been the main character in so many video games isn't there because of a "Natural relationship" (LOL) it's there to market and appeal to white males which make up the majority of the audience. In other words: It's pandering to the largest userbase to sell a product.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'll play any race or gender character if the writing is good. In this one going by the dialogue she has a chip on her shoulder the size of Nebraska, so that's where they lost me.
Oh I absolutely agree, I can't stand the character in itself and the whole marvel style dialogue is something that can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
You do give a shit that the character is black because that's the whole point of your argument. The whole basis of your argument that it is a "Japanese company hiring a white guy to write a black woman" all while you're convinced that it's "The other side" that is obsessed with identity politics.

Also, What?

"There was no need to appeal to them, the relationship was a completely natural one" LOL. What did I just read? Do you even know how marketing works? The "rough, unshaven white dude" that has been the main character in so many video games isn't there because of a "Natural relationship" (LOL) it's there to market and appeal to white males which make up the majority of the audience. In other words: It's pandering to the largest userbase to sell a product.
I can't speak for anyone else but I'll play any race or gender character if the writing is good. In this one going by the dialogue she has a chip on her shoulder the size of Nebraska, so that's where they lost me

Oh I absolutely agree, I can't stand the character in itself and the whole marvel style dialogue is something that can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

Uh yeah, the other side is the one obsessed with identity politics, and the media shit show that is already surrounding this game is proving exactly that.

"Do you even know how marketing works?" You keep trying to come off smart, when you just come off as angry and overly emotional.

White men creating white male characters is not a result of marketing. It's people naturally creating characters based on their own life experiences and trying to create something for an audience of like-minded people so it can thrive and grow. It's why we have nice things like videogame industries and comicbook universes. Then people like you can come along and squat down possessively on it like you own it or have some right to it or something.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looks a bit when they were tring to get FFXV running on Xbox one. I do like the look of the traversal and magic though, hope it comes together.

did she shout fuck off when throwing out some magic?

Rykan

Uh yeah, the other side is the one obsessed with identity politics, and the media shit show that is already surrounding this game is proving exactly that.
you're specifically mentioning the nationality and race of the game developers, writer and the character but you're not obssesed with identity politics. Got it.
White men naturally creating white male characters is not a result of marketing.
eh yes. Yes it is. Thats why all of them look exactly like a typical male power fantasy. Thats also the reason why you have the same white male power fantasy character in Japanese games.
It's people naturally creating characters based on their own life experiences and trying to create something for an audience of like-minded people so it can thrive and grow.
Uh huh, The typical macho video game main character is clearly designed after and based on the life experience of a typical video game developer who are only looking to create something for an audience of like - minded people which just so happened to be the largest target audience. Were you part of a "BOYZ ONLY" club when you were little?

It's why we have nice things like videogame industries and comicbook universes. Then people like you can come along and squat down possessively on it like you own it or have some right to it or something.
You sound angry and overly emotional.

Last edited:
Ah yes you're specifically mentioning the nationality and race of the game developers, writer and the character but you're not obssesed with identity politics. Got it.

You have got to be kidding me.

"White men naturally creating white male characters is not the result of marketing" eh yes. Yes it is. Thats why all of them look exactly like a typical male power fantasy. "people creating characters based on their own life experience" Ah yes the typical macho video game main character is clearly designed after and based on the life experience of a typical video game developer who are only looking to create something for an audience of like - minded people which just so happened to be the largest target audience.

You have such a hilariously wrong, fantasy concept of how video game development actually works.
You're the one putting the cart before the horse. As if some cabal of white men gathered in a smoky room in the 80s to decide to create white male characters in games for marketing purposes.

Of course it just so happens to be the largest target audience. So they're white, their audience is overwhelmingly white, but the fact that their characters are white - purely a marketing ploy! Do you even listen to yourself?

Whitecrow

Banned
All I can think of is:

Hey, look what I'll be able to enjoy because I'm not a framerate elitist hahahah

Everything looks dope to me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You say "this year releases" when in reality this is something that has been happening for years. If I had to point the exact moment when, it would be around the time Feminist Frequency and Sarkeesian became popular and all that "GamerGame" stuff happened.

Thoes people got more and more influence with the passing of time, to the point of now journalists exposing developers publicly on social media and news websites to pressure them to change their games to suit their demands

Mind you, this is not "encouraging" developers to add minorities to their games.
This is about shaming and exposing developers, even if you have to lie and blow things out of proportion just so that you convince people that the developers in question are racist, sexist, transphobic, nazi or whatever the hell you want them to think.

Even if it means ruining a person or developer's reputation and force investors to pull the plug from those developers, basically leading them towards bankrupcy and an unfinished project.

After that, almost all big western companies started this push towards more female characters, which evolved to the entire LBGT+ spectrum and also race.
Western indie developers are too afraid to go against the flow, and most try to avoid adding any content that could possibly trigger those people (e.g. making a game with only white characters)
To add salt to their wound, journos don't even promote games that don't fit to their agenda, unless if it's to say bad things about them (award cerimonies too)

I see no names.

Taksu

Neo Member
gameplay looked boring
world empty
dont like face and attitude
fokin dragon
was more exited before first fokin dragon trailer since i though it would be closer to agnis philosophy tech demo
discount pile maybe if good reviews

ParaSeoul

gameplay looked boring
world empty
dont like face and attitude
fokin dragon
was more exited before first fokin dragon trailer since i though it would be closer to agnis philosophy tech demo
discount pile maybe if good reviews
i completely understand
your concerns
the face and attitude bother me as well
fokin dragon
i also thought the first trailer was more impressive
definitely holding
off until reviews

Rykan

You're the one putting the cart before the horse. As if some cabal of white men gathered in a smoky room in the 80s to decide to create white male characters in games for marketing purposes.

Of course it just so happens to be the largest target audience. So they're white, their audience is overwhelmingly white, but the fact that their characters are white - purely a marketing ploy! Do you even listen to yourself?
I'm more and more convinced that your account is a parody account.

Yes, creating the exact same white male power fantasy Main character is not "based on the life experience of (mostly) nerdy game devs) but is purely a marketing ploy to appeal to the largest target audience. Your idea that this is based on the "life experience of the developers and grown after a long bond with gamers" is beyond ridiculous. It's just as dumb as saying that male writers don't write women, or male directors don't have female leads in movies.

Developers wanted a female lead. Executives said No because "women don't sell".

Last edited:

kyussman

When a big new IP from a big publisher is announced there is always the hope it will do something special and break some new ground....that looks like every other open world game ever,oh well.

ParaSeoul

When a big new IP from a big publisher is announced there is always the hope it will do something special and break some new ground....that looks like every other open world game ever,oh well.
I don't really know too many open world games nowadays with movement like that

I'm more and more convinced that your account is a parody account.

Yes, creating the exact same white male power fantasy Main character is not "based on the life experience of (mostly) nerdy game devs) but is purely a marketing ploy to appeal to the largest target audience. Your idea that this is based on the "life experience of the developers and grown after a long bond with gamers" is beyond ridiculous. It's just as dumb as saying that male writers don't write women, or male directors don't have female leads in movies.

Developers wanted a female lead. Executives said No because "women don't sell".
Does the 'this must be a parody account' thing ever work for you?

I know about your example. I'm sure there are incidents like this - particularly when it comes to changes to proven pre-existing successful franchises - but unsurprisingly all of my main points still stand.

Rykan

Does the 'this must be a parody account' thing ever work for you?

I know about your example. I'm sure there are incidents like this - particularly when it comes to changes to proven pre-existing successful franchises - but unsurprisingly all of my main points still stand.
I'm asking if it is a parody account because the alternative is that you are, in fact, racist.

And in case you're wondering, statements like these
Everything about this game screams wrong. A Japanese company, trying to appeal to a western audience, hires a bunch of white writers, to create a black female protagonist,
Are racist as fuck. So I much prefer you to actually be a troll than a racist.

Last edited:
I'm asking if it is a parody account because the alternative is that you are, in fact, racist.

And in case you're wondering, statements like these

Are racist as fuck. So I much prefer you to actually be a troll than a racist.
"I'll call him a racist, surely that will get a rise out of him."

Nope. Any other tricks left up your sleeve?

Kssio_Aug

So it looks like there was a round table preview event with the wokest journalists in the biz who summarily grilled the producers on how many black developers/writers made the game, questioned how they came up with a black character, and congratulated them on how racist they are.
That type of stuff that worries me about freedom of creating content nowadays. In this very thread they've been called woke numerous times, and on the other side they're being pretty much accused of being racists. This pretty much proves how extremists, no matter the direction they point at, have such a stubborn and made up mind full of pre judgments that they don't have a clue about what they're attacking anymore, they just want to accuse. Sad days unfortunately.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Just my opinion, but for me it's not about the MC being a woman, but how they try to portray her as a strong woman.

"Strong woman" is a very broad term.

Is it a "strong woman" like Rey sKyWaLkEr who is born perfect, solves all problems instantly out of sheer intuition, has infinite wisdom, defeats all bad guys at the first try and doesn't need to be rescued ever?
Or is it a "strong woman" like Ahsoka Tano who is born imperfect, often fails but comes up stronger and wiser each time, faces adversity and eventually recognizes her flaws to become an actual strong character?

There's nothing wrong in having a female protagonist in a videogame, of whatever ethnicity. The story and the writing will tell us if Forspoken's protagonist is woke trash or not. Which is to say we'll only see if the writers are focusing on her gender and ethnicity if they use it to imply some kind of gender/race-specific victimhood or disadvantage.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yep, the reeeeetards are already shitting on the game because one of the devs described the protagonist in a way they don't like.

Kssio_Aug

Resetera refugees are trying to gaslight us into thinking that this game is not woke at all and anyone who think that it's woke is racist, sexist...etc is hilarious, you won't last here long if you are this obvious, try to be more subtle next time lol
No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

Rykan

Resetera refugees are trying to gaslight us into thinking that this game is not woke at all and anyone who think that it's woke is racist, sexist...etc is hilarious, you won't last here long if you are this obvious, try to be more subtle next time lol
Ah crap, you're on to us. Why is it always the Anime fans that just see right through our disguise.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I just never liked the whole “ current day person gets sucked into fantasy realm “ story. That and the dialogue just makes want to stay far away from this game.

The Isekai genre is becoming a strange obsession among modern day mangakas though.
I can't think of many videogames using that theme, but the manga scene is becoming flooded with that.

Whitecrow

Banned
They are not marketing the color of the character in any way.

If you remember the first tlou2 trailer, you will know what is really woke. And this have nothing to do with that.

Great Hair

Banned
Based on that 4min video

- barren world, land scape .. more empty than WTOB
- stupid A.I or are those zombies, awaiting punishment in the open world ..
- city looked generic, always 3 talking to each other
- nice visual effects during combat
- visually different, looked better before?
- annoying protagonist, she talks more than the actress in Hellblade 2
- she wears no Dr.Dre headphones
- no chaos
- interesting, but not D1 for me

Ulysses 31

Based on that 4min video

- barren world, land scape .. more empty than WTOB
- stupid A.I or are those zombies, awaiting punishment in the open world ..
- city looked generic, always 3 talking to each other
- nice visual effects during combat
- visually different, looked better before?
- annoying protagonist, she talks more than the actress in Hellblade 2
- she wears no Dr.Dre headphones
- no chaos
- interesting, but not D1 for me
You forgot the 70$/80€ launch price. :lollipop_grinning:

Looks like they commit the cardinal sin of open world design.

Telling you where things are on the map and just having you go there instead of actual exploration and guiding you towards things that look interesting from a distance. Movement looks fun, combat could be fun with better enemies.

Breath of the wild was released in 2017... that means we've had about 4 years of people constantly saying how much better it is to actually explore instead of just going to points on your map.
For games where the open world and gameplay are designed that way, sure. But for every game that isn't BotW, please, for the love of God, give me a waypoint.

Rykan

lol you do know that Squall is also anime but in 3D right?

But i guess Resetera SJW's were never known for their common sense lmao
Hes a video game character, not an anime character. Don't worry, Anime fans are not know for being able to keep reality and fiction apart.

Please for the love of god design your game without the need for waypoint, don't mark every chest on my mini game and let me go through it like a checklist of activities.

But then how do you expect the new generation of gamer kids to find stuff? They need indications, huge boxes of text that say GO HERE YOU IDIOT. Its why level design has taken such a huge nosedive in recent games and everything is flat open world. No creativity anymore.

Top Bottom