• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken - Official 4 Minute Gameplay Trailer

ParaSeoul

There are Asian women that have that face you know.
main-qimg-e79ab003e33785e1689b5a3fa54ba190-lq

Kssio_Aug

No need for personal attacks, if you think i'm wrong then give your argument.
Woke is when something is trying hard to push an agenda about race or sex, like almost forcing this down your throat.

However, when producers come with something that's diverse, featuring main characters that are white, black, male, female, transgender, asian, american, gay, straight, and so on; that's just diversity and it doesn't need to mean much else.

Diversity is a good thing. And if artists in general are more aware of it and feel comfortable about creating stories featuring diverse characters that's awesome! I'm all in for artistic freedom: I don't care if they're going to do something with white or male characters; with sexy and hot chicks; with ugly and awkward people; with black and female women; with asian or american roots; as long as they're doing it because they want and not because they feel forced to please or fear to displease a certain public, than that's perfectly fine.

We always learn something even among extremes. Nowadays far-left and far-right are both idiots fighting each other all the time by point each others gravest mistakes; but thankfully we at least can absorb something good out of it (what is generally somewhat in the middle), and diversity is definitely one of these things. Society is becoming more aware of that and that doesn't need to mean that every time diversity is depicted there's an attempt to attack someone else.

TLDR: For Christ sake, let's let artists do whatever the fuck they want and I'm sure that everyone can be pleased.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
After FFXV(a terrible game) I have no faith in them doing an open world. The fact that this also a female focused story written by "Hollywood" writers means I will wait until I read the general opinions about the story on this site before I even consider buying.

My psychiatrist told me i'm doing gods work insulting wierd ass incels

Keep seething lol

Woke is when something is trying hard to push an agenda about race or sex, like almost forcing this down your throat.

However, when producers come with something that's diverse, featuring main characters that are white, black, male, female, transgender, asian, american, gay, straight, and so on; that's just diversity and it doesn't need to mean much else.

Diversity is a good thing. And if artists in general are more aware of it and feel comfortable about creating stories featuring diverse characters that's awesome! I'm all in for artistic freedom: I don't care if they're going to do something with white or male characters; with sexy and hot chicks; with ugly and awkward people; with black and female women; with asian or american roots; as long as they're doing it because they want and not because they feel forced to please or fear to displease a certain public, than that's perfectly fine.

We always learn something even among extremes. Nowadays far-left and far-right are both idiots fighting each other all the time by point each others gravest mistakes; but thankfully we at least can absorb something good out of it (what is generally somewhat in the middle), and diversity is definitely one of these things. Society is becoming more aware of that and that doesn't need to mean that every time diversity is depicted there's an attempt to attack someone else.

TLDR: For Christ sake, let's let artists do whatever the fuck they want and I'm sure that everyone can be pleased.

I agree with you but at the end of the day this game want to sell as many copies as possible and including sexy optional outfits will cost them nothing that may attract new buyers but woke companies don't like to do that because it goes against their woke agenda

Ulysses 31

I get most of the forum are Americans but how the fuck did this games thread devolve into people shitting on this game because it’s “woke”? I’m assuming cos of the black female lead? I never got the opposition to this stuff, it’s just part of the story.
Videos like the GameSpot one that focus half the runtime on the race of the character before getting to the actual gameplay.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have a theory about open worlds fatigue, IF the core gameplay (so traversal, combat etc.) is fun, then even mindless sidequest can be fun, if not then you need to have great writing to make sidequest worthy of the player's time.

I get all the complaint about the open world etc. and the game doens't seem to have great or even good writing, BUT if traversal and combats are fun, i'm gonna have my usual 30-50 hours of decent fun with it.

I don't believe for a second that anyone of you doesn't have a game between your favourites that doens't have a dull open world or shitty writing, nier automata kinda has a shitty bland open world and the combat is nice but semplicistic, and yet many people love that game to death, same for mgs5, kinda mediocre writing and shitty open world but the gameplay is soo good that you end with loving it.

Not saying that forspoken is gonna reach these levels, but you get my gist.

Jesus why i'm defending a squareenix game...

Last edited:
I have a theory about open worlds fatigue, IF the core gameplay (so traversal, combat etc.) is fun, then even mindless sidequest can be fun, if not then you need to have great writing to make sidequest worthy of the player's time.

I get all the complaint about the open world etc. and the game doens't seem to have great or even good writing, BUT if traversal and combats are fun, i'm gonna have my usual 30-50 hours of decent fun with it.

I don't believe for a second that anyone of you doens't have a game between your favourites that doens't have a dull open world or shitty writing, nier automata kinda has a shitty bland open world and the combat is nice but semplicistic, and yet many people love that game to death, same for mgs5, kinda mediocre writing and shitty open world but the gameplay is soo good that you end with loving it.

It definitley works. I managed to complete all the side content in Infinite because the gameplay loop was just that good even though it's open world is shit.

If they nail traversal and magic then this game can up the ubisoft formula to 11 for all I care

Last edited:

Kacho

It’s like you can see glimpses of a good game there. Overall it looks horrific though. The crappy framerate, constant quips from the player character, that PS3 looking open world…

Eh…

Elios83

The hot takes around this game are becoming even more ridiculous than the Deathloop ones when marketing was considered guilty of wasting time showcasing an obvious turd :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy: ....when reviews hit the embarrassment was palpable. And let's not forget about how this was the year of Battlefield as well according to the experts.
Here it's even worse with "woke" accusations thrown away to discredit the game right away.
It's almost like the Harry Potter game you can't be excited about in other places in reverse.

The game has an intriguing premise with its Narnia/Alice story, the traversal and magic system seem top notch.
The last 4 minutes trailer they released was obviously a really poor cut and choice.
No open world game can look amazing if you just mark a random treasure chest and fight a few level zero braindead enemies near the first outpost.
At least it's not the usual fake scripted sequence they traditionally use for marketing when they play with zero mistakes, all scripted to make everything look much better than it is while hiding all the gameplay flaws.

The game has potential to be great but it's too early to tell. It will depend on how interesting the story, missions and gameplay loop will be. The potential is there imo.

Corndog

Banned

As long as they don’t complain when they have poor sales they can do whatever they want.

Corndog

Banned
The hot takes around this game are becoming even more ridiculous than the Deathloop ones when marketing was considered guilty of wasting time showcasing an obvious turd :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy: ....when reviews hit the embarrassment was palpable. And let's not forget about how this was the year of Battlefield as well according to the experts.
Here it's even worse with "woke" accusations thrown away to discredit the game right away.
It's almost like the Harry Potter game you can't be excited about in other places in reverse.

The game has an intriguing premise with its Narnia/Alice story, the traversal and magic system seem top notch.
The last 4 minutes trailer they released was obviously a really poor cut and choice.
No open world game can look amazing if you just mark a random treasure chest and fight a few level zero braindead enemies near the first outpost.
At least it's not the usual fake scripted sequence they traditionally use for marketing when they play with zero mistakes, all scripted to make everything look much better than it is while hiding all the gameplay flaws.

The game has potential to be great but it's too early to tell. It will depend on how interesting the story, missions and gameplay loop will be. The potential is there imo.
Come on. When they talk about making a game primarily of women with power? This is a feminists dream game.
They have every right to make it. But to pretend it’s not a game pandering to liberal(woke) views is willful ignorance.

Kssio_Aug

As long as they don’t complain when they have poor sales they can do whatever they want.
I agree, but I find it hard to believe that depicting a diverse character (like a black woman, in this case) would be a real reason for poor sales. As long as the game is good and backed by good marketing, it might succeed, regardless of how the main character looks.

Corndog

Banned

I don't believe for a second that anyone of you doesn't have a game between your favourites that doens't have a dull open world or shitty writing, nier automata kinda has a shitty bland open world and the combat is nice but semplicistic, and yet many people love that game to death, same for mgs5, kinda mediocre writing and shitty open world but the gameplay is soo good that you end with loving it.

No game are perfect. I liked days gone and it had plenty of problems. Deacon ranting about the radio broadcasts. Stupid snipers.

Reallink

Videos like the GameSpot one that focus half the runtime on the race of the character before getting to the actual gameplay.

Not woke enough, needed all black writers, and all black characters require Jussie Smollett lived experiences to be relevant. Most people reading this will think that's parody or a joke, but no, thats actually the content of the video.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I agree, but I find it hard to believe that depicting a diverse character (like a black woman, in this case) would be a real reason for poor sales. As long as the game is good and backed by good marketing, it might succeed, regardless of how the main character looks.
It’s not just the leads skin color. It’s check marking all the liberal boxes.
Watch the original trailer again.
It’s focusing on skin color, gender, instead of the actual person. It’s boring and pandering.

GymWolf

No game are perfect. I liked days gone and it had plenty of problems. Deacon ranting about the radio broadcasts. Stupid snipers.
Deacon rants were one of the best thing for me, but i love the actor who does the VA so i'm biased.

What stupid snipers? you mean the mini-event in the open world when they shot you out of your bike? i loved those...

I liked days gone more than tsushima, i'm probably the only one...

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm gonna say this, i know that her being so vocal and screaming fuck off after an attack is super-cringe, but i can...kinda relate?

If i was teleported in a magic world with incredible magic powers i will probably be a vulgar motherfucker out there during combat :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Infamous 3 did something similar when delsin get his powers, and then he act like a smug cringe asshole for the whole game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looks like they commit the cardinal sin of open world design.

Telling you where things are on the map and just having you go there instead of actual exploration and guiding you towards things that look interesting from a distance. Movement looks fun, combat could be fun with better enemies.

Breath of the wild was released in 2017... that means we've had about 4 years of people constantly saying how much better it is to actually explore instead of just going to points on your map.
I know right?
how hard is this???

ever played valheim?
they get it.

Kssio_Aug

It’s not just the leads skin color. It’s check marking all the liberal boxes.
Watch the original trailer again.
It’s focusing on skin color, gender, instead of the actual person. It’s boring and pandering.
I have watched two story trailers (one released 3 months ago, and TGA's trailer) and I have seen nothing of sorts. Yeah, the villain and the hero are women, but that's pretty much it. In that regard it seems fine to me!

And I'm not even defending the game, as I think this gameplay segment was absolutely terrible.

Elios83

Come on. When they talk about making a game primarily of women with power? This is a feminists dream game.
They have every right to make it. But to pretend it’s not a game pandering to liberal(woke) views is willful ignorance.

They're making a game with a black girl and her enemies in the fantasy world of the game are a group of female mages gone crazy, as far as I've understood about the plot.
Where is the crime?
Who cares? It's not the sex or skin color that is going to make the story interesting or not.
And the story cannot be judged before the game is out.
The real issue is prejudice and the hot takes that it generates.
Some people are saying this is game is shit out of prejudice, if it ends up being great they'll look like fools. It already happened this year with Deathloop.

But I'm probably old school, for me games are just fiction and there's room for all different takes, I don't need to relate to anything to play something as long as there's an interesting story.
If a product is good and the creators actually have a vision and something to tell it will be apparent, if not it will be immediatly forgotten.
In my opinion the premise of this game is interesting, some gameplay elements like traversal and magic system seem to be really well developed, the latest gameplay trailer was bad but because it tried hard to be bad by showcasing some really bland things (probably out of the desire to not spoil anything and the lack of time to create a vertical slice or scripted set-piece to show to the press).
It's an optimistic wait and see for me.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
They're making a game with a black girl and her enemies in the fantasy world of the game are a group of female mages gone crazy, as far as I've understood about the plot.
Where is the crime?
Who cares? It's not the sex or skin color that is going to make the story interesting or not.
And the story cannot be judged before the game is out.
The real issue is prejudice and the hot takes that it generates.
Some people are saying this is game is shit out of prejudice, if it ends up being great they'll look like fools. It already happened this year with Deathloop.

But I'm probably old school, for me games are just fiction and there's room for all different takes, I don't need to relate to anything to play something as long as there's an interesting story.
If a product is good and the creators actually have a vision and something to tell it will be apparent, if not it will be immediatly forgotten.
In my opinion the premise of this game is interesting, some gameplay elements like traversal and magic system seem to be really well developed, the latest gameplay trailer was bad but because it tried hard to be bad by showcasing some really bland things (probably out of the desire to not spoil anything and the lack of time to create a vertical slice or scripted set-piece to show to the press).
It's an optimistic wait and see for me.
So we can’t know the game is woke but you can know we don’t like it because we’re racist.

Corndog

Banned
I have watched two story trailers (one released 3 months ago, and TGA's trailer) and I have seen nothing of sorts. Yeah, the villain and the hero are women, but that's pretty much it. In that regard it seems fine to me!

And I'm not even defending the game, as I think this gameplay segment was absolutely terrible.
Watch the gamespot video posted above. Talks about it.

Elios83

So we can’t know the game is woke but you can know we don’t like it because we’re racist.

Don't know who you're referring to with "we".
But no I'm only against labeling a game as shit out of prejudice, that's all.
And comments like "It's woke shit" are just that.
It's more honest to say: I won't play it because I can't play things I cannot relate with.

And btw....in this game the enemies are a group of women who are basically despots gone crazy who are causing ruin to the world.
Isn't this against the woke point? Doesn't it subtly suggest that a world ruled by women is only going to face ruin? Oh my!! :messenger_face_screaming::messenger_grinning_sweat:
Seriously it's just the story of a videogame....

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Based on what I've seen on this video? No, I think I could find better writting in porn movies.

I would see the trailer in the theater and immediately write it off as a "chick flick". Like Twilight, female Ghostbusters, or that last Harley Quinn movie. I guess we will find out if women play videogames as much as those various articles try to tell us they do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom