• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken - Official 4 Minute Gameplay Trailer

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why are so many people triggered at playing as a woman?

here i redesigned the main character so we dont upset the snowflakes here

maxresdefault.jpg
Just my opinion, but for me it's not about the MC being a woman, but how they try to portray her as a strong woman.

For example I love games like Perfect Dark or Metroid. Those are strong women, doing the same things a man could do but without the writers trying to make her look strong in silly ways.

Like for example, on that Forspoken gameplay video the brazalet that speaks to her starts a conversation when they encounter a group of zombies. It goes kinda like this:

Mr. Brazalet: "Those used to be human, but you can't afford to be sentimental!". <- this is cool, sets a nice grim tone.
Strong woman, with a smirky voice: "Yeah... that won't be an issue". <- uh?

Maybe she's just a dick and I'm misinterpreting things, but my first impression was that.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Just my opinion, but for me it's not about the MC being a woman, but how they try to portray her as a strong woman.

For example I love games like Perfect Dark or Metroid. Those are strong women, doing the same things a man could do but without the writers trying to make her look strong in silly ways.

Like for example, on that Forspoken gameplay video the brazalet that speaks to her starts a conversation when they encounter a group of zombies. It goes kinda like this:

Mr. Brazalet: "Those used to be human, but you can't afford to be sentimental!". <- this is cool, sets a nice grim tone.

Maybe she's just a dick and I'm misinterpreting things, but my first impression was that.
It might be poor writing, but I still struggle to see this as some woke stuff. I am pretty sure that, although I can't name them right now, I have seen this kind of shit dialogue in quite many different games where I would be playing as a male character. It's just bad writing trying to make a character sound cool, when it really doesn't.

Corndog

Banned
Don't know who you're referring to with "we".
But no I'm only against labeling a game as shit out of prejudice, that's all.
And comments like "It's woke shit" are just that.
It's more honest to say: I won't play it because I can't play things I cannot relate with.

And btw....in this game the enemies are a group of women who are basically despots gone crazy who are causing ruin to the world.
Isn't this against the woke point? Doesn't it subtly suggest that a world ruled by women is only going to face ruin? Oh my!! :messenger_face_screaming::messenger_grinning_sweat:
Seriously it's just the story of a videogame....
As I said before, square is entitled to make any game they want. They just aren’t entitled to my money. If you like basking in fake diversity narratives go for it.

edit: just for fun why don’t you look up the 4 writers social media and see what you find.

edit 2: you asked who is we. You referred to “ some people” and implied they were racists. That’s who we refers too.

Last edited:

Teslerum

edit: just for fun why don’t you look up the 4 writers social media and see what you find.
I'm not sure how woke it is yet (Honestly comparatively so far there's much worse stuff around), but this is the first time I've realized that it's written by western writers. And of those only Amy Henning is a decent (fantastic at her best) writer, though she has fallen for the SJ bug in recent times.

That has dropped my interest considerably (YMMV). I'm still interested because Amy Henning (though I personally dislike Gary Whitta who seems to be the main writer), but yeah.

Last edited:

Elios83

As I said before, square is entitled to make any game they want. They just aren’t entitled to my money. If you like basking in fake diversity narratives go for it.

edit 2: you asked who is we. You referred to “ some people” and implied they were racists. That’s who we refers too.

If you just say "it's not for me" like you're doing here I think it's a totally legit opinion.
The hot takes like "This game is shit, woke lol lol lol" not so much.

The writers? I'm reading there's Amy Hennig on board, given her work on Soul Reaver and Uncharted series that is a plus for me?
About me as I told you I'm not putting myself these limits because I'm totally old school :messenger_sunglasses: , I can play and give a chance to everything, every gender, religion, sexuality, handsome, ugly, I don't care.
If there is good story to tell it will come out and it will be a worthy experience.
If it's just a marketing checklist with no substance it will come out as well and it won't save the product from mediocrity.
And btw I can tell you that I definetly didn't enjoy some aspects of the TLOU2 story precisely because they felt forced in this sense but it's not like I didn't give the game a chance for this and overall the game was still great.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
If you just say "it's not for me" like you're doing here I think it's a totally legit opinion.
The hot takes like "This game is shit, woke lol lol lol" not so much.

The writers? I'm reading there's Amy Hennig on board, given her work on Soul Reaver and Uncharted series that is a plus for me?
About me as I told you I'm not putting myself these limits because I'm totally old school :messenger_sunglasses: , I can play and give a chance to everything, every gender, religion, sexuality, handsome, ugly, I don't care.
If there is good story to tell it will come out and it will be a worthy experience.
If it's just a marketing checklist with no substance it will come out as well and it won't save the product from mediocrity.
And btw I can tell you that I definetly didn't enjoy some aspects of the TLOU2 story precisely because they felt forced in this sense but it's not like I didn't give the game a chance for this and overall the game was still great.
They still got your money. So why should they change.

Edit: here’s 3 of the writers Twitter if you want to see they’re personal views.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah i rememeber that bit, she is probably just a smug edgy asshole.

Some people like this type of character, if it worked for ellie in tlou2, maybe its gonna work for her too.

TheAssist

Gameplays looks really fun, graphics are good (hoping for some more variety in bioms) and I really want this game to be good.

But by god the writing is....like a teenager wrote it.
Ok look. Personally I think FF7R did a fantastic job in world and character building with its dialogues. You go through any sector and there will be hundreds of lines of dialogue from random NPC's that change even after small missions. The world actually feels like its moving forward. A big advantage of a more linear game. In this one the citizens dont even have dialogue apart from coughing.

And the two protagonists....I dont know. Whats her character? Being overconfident and kinda unlikable? There is nothing of worth coming out of her mouth. Compare that with Barret, Tifa, Cloud and Aerith during fights. Even after a few minutes you totally get the chemistry between Cloud and Barret even if you skipped all the cutscenes. Thats how you do in fight dialogue. Aerith is also very confident in her abilities. But she is way more and her lines are more nuanced and delivered in a very unique way. Even if all characters had the same voice actor, you would always know who is talking at the moment, simply because of the way they are written.

I really hope this is just because its early in the game and as their relationship deepens it gets better. But cant listen to "take a load of this" for an entire game.

Corndog

Banned
If the game was still great, he probably felt like it was money well spent. I think you're making it a much bigger problem than it needs to be.
I’m not making it a problem at all. If you like woke politics then play the game. You will probably enjoy it. That said there is nothing wrong in pointing it out. Not everyone is from San Francisco.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Anyone who uses the term 'dog whistle' is usually in my experience a far left nut. I can dislike this black female protagonist for many reasons, opinions are allowed. You equating that to racism is projection and bestows your true nature.

My man.....he said this is a "Woke" game. Lets not play stupid as to why. It ain't due to the color of the dirt or the clothes the character has on.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I would see the trailer in the theater and immediately write it off as a "chick flick". Like Twilight, female Ghostbusters, or that last Harley Quinn movie. I guess we will find out if women play videogames as much as those various articles try to tell us they do.

Or maybe men will buy the game too.

If you want to know if a game with a female protagonist is woke or not then just see if she have sexy outfits or if all the outfits in the game are covering her from head to toe, also see if the other women in the game are sexy or if they are ugly and covered up, if its the latter then the game definitely have a woke agenda. This rule works every time.

Tell us you’ve never touched a woman without directly telling us

You say "this year releases" when in reality this is something that has been happening for years. If I had to point the exact moment when, it would be around the time Feminist Frequency and Sarkeesian became popular and all that "GamerGame" stuff happened.

Thoes people got more and more influence with the passing of time, to the point of now journalists exposing developers publicly on social media and news websites to pressure them to change their games to suit their demands

Mind you, this is not "encouraging" developers to add minorities to their games.
This is about shaming and exposing developers, even if you have to lie and blow things out of proportion just so that you convince people that the developers in question are racist, sexist, transphobic, nazi or whatever the hell you want them to think.

Even if it means ruining a person or developer's reputation and force investors to pull the plug from those developers, basically leading them towards bankrupcy and an unfinished project.

After that, almost all big western companies started this push towards more female characters, which evolved to the entire LBGT+ spectrum and also race.
Western indie developers are too afraid to go against the flow, and most try to avoid adding any content that could possibly trigger those people (e.g. making a game with only white characters)
To add salt to their wound, journos don't even promote games that don't fit to their agenda, unless if it's to say bad things about them (award cerimonies too)

It's actually more sinister than that, western companies will rather make their games bomb than abandoning this woke agenda, they don't really need the money of gamers anymore, check your inbox.

Rykan

I already lost complete interest in the game for the simple fact that they use a real person as a video game character. That just screams "Man, I wish I could be working on a movie instead!" to me. The only time where this makes sense is if you're doing a licensed video game.

iHaunter

Really liked the gameplay so I'm buying it. Hopefully they lower a bit of the main characters grunting.

I love that there's different types of elements.

CGiRanger

Banned
So it looks like there was a round table preview event with the wokest journalists in the biz who summarily grilled the producers on how many black developers/writers made the game, questioned how they came up with a black character, and congratulated them on how racist they are.
It's too bad a developer will never tell these insane scumbags to go fuck themselves. These nuts are not a profitable audience by any measure.

Leopold

Don't understand the woke criticism but this doesn't seem to offer me anything more than Dragon's Dogma Dark Arise.

Senhua

Just drop and leave it.
It's pointless to explain to the "neutral-no sided" user about "woke" issue in this game as I already did before and they always said the same thing without even try to think deeper about it.

First hypothesis
Japanese dev collaborate with western writer and Sony SIE California for making their first game with single black female protagonist in 2022

Second
All media promotion barring the last (4 mnt) one, all 95% highlight focused on her : how strong is her, her background, characterization, her real world likeness been in interview and actively promoting the game etc.
Nothing on gameplay, world building etc

Third
How similar with other universal famous woke games been marketed prior or after the release
- BF 5 with how strong woman did WW 2
- Saint Row reboot reveal trailer with "we want to make the char you can relate for and feel good when be invited to your own living room "
etc

Fourth
Sony California deal and heavily promoting this game on their blog/SoP etc
4 Writer been hired for this game especially the lead one (one look at his twitter history and all will know what his "ideology") and actively stated that about how strong the protag is etc
The SE marketing/producer statement when first promoted this game to the press again heavily focused only for her strong women/ BIPOC etc
“We worked closely with a number of consultants from BIPOC backgrounds to help portray Frey’s character and tell the story from her perspective,” Square Enix said in the FAQ, adding that Forspoken’s supporting cast was “dominated by women and several women of color.”

Five
Even western gaming media know this game is a "woke" game and demanded more as this is not enough
Here the latest one:

"My newfound fears weren’t helped when Rymer and Stashwick (writer) described Frey’s origin story, which came off as a tired amalgamation of Black stereotypes. Those stereotypes included her “being very angry,” her having “fallen through cracks of society,” and being “on the verge of prison,” before being teleported to Athia. The cherry on top of my newfound dread was motion capture and voice over director Tom Keegan describing Balinska’s mannerisms during her motion capture performance as having a “very hip-hoppy kind of walk.”

After all of the above is forspoken Woke? Well there are prob 95% this game is woke (aka the incursion of black women protag specifically made to satisfy certain community) though by western journalist that is not enough and demand more.
So what you considered non woke 2018+ games with black protagonist?
Death loop, Apex to name a few

Done, I'm out from all discussion about this games.

So it looks like there was a round table preview event with the wokest journalists in the biz who summarily grilled the producers on how many black developers/writers made the game, questioned how they came up with a black character, and congratulated them on how racist they are.

What a surprise. I guess that's what happens when you try and cater to the nastiest and most resentful people in the room. Nothing will ever be enough for them, and it's not about "justice" or "fairness" for these people, it's about anger and resentment and a quest for power.

That's why woke writing is so bad. People can't help but show who they are when they write - and rich, pampered first-world liberals who see themselves as victims and think it's ok to resent others based on their race or gender, have absolutely nothing of value to say or give to the world. Or in the case of white writers who try to pander to these race and gender hustlers, like I suspect is the case with this game, it may not have that same nasty streak as if it was written by a real woke lunatic, but the writing is still awful because it's so obviously coming from a fraudulent place and the priorities are all wrong.

Basically, woke liberals and white liberals are stuck in an unholy negative feedback loop that just turns everything it touches into shit. Nasty people guilt-tripping stupid people and both of them equally self-loathing at their core, though it manifests as hatred and contempt for others.

Also, my favourite is the people in these threads who still try and deny this stuff is happening. Just how far does your head have to be up your ass at this stage in the game to still see this woke thing as a fake controversy.

Last edited:

Rykan

Just drop and leave it.
It's pointless to explain to the "neutral-no sided" user about "woke" issue in this game as I already did before and they always said the same thing without even try to think deeper about it.

First hypothesis
Japanese dev collaborate with western writer and Sony SIE California for making their first game with single black female protagonist in 2022
Point being?
Second
All media promotion barring the last (4 mnt) one, all 95% highlight focused on her : how strong is her, her background, characterization, her real world likeness been in interview and actively promoting the game etc.
Nothing on gameplay, world building etc
Saying it is 95% focus on her is simply inaccurate. They do put a lot of focus on her as a character because the character is literally based on the actress and that is a main draw of the game. I think that is stupid AF and the reason why I don't care about the game as I've mentioned earlier, but NOTHING about this has anything to do with "Wokeness". I wonder if you felt the same about Cyberpunk pushing forward Keanu Reeves in nearly all of their advertisement since they've announced his inclusion, or is Keanu too "based" for that?

On top of that, increased focus on the character itself during promotion is becoming the norm. There was an incredible amount of emphasis placed on the characters of TLOU2 and God of War during the promotion of these games as well.
Third
How similar with other universal famous woke games been marketed prior or after the release
- BF 5 with how strong woman did WW 2
- Saint Row reboot reveal trailer with "we want to make the char you can relate for and feel good when be invited to your own living room "
etc
Dumb comparissons for several reasons. Both of these games are already established franchises that moved away from something that they were prior. This is a completely new IP with no previous expectations to meet or live up to. Second, the promotion for these games couldn't be more different. The promotion for BF5 is not even remotely the same to this game.
Fourth
Sony California deal and heavily promoting this game on their blog/SoP etc
4 Writer been hired for this game especially the lead one (one look at his twitter history and all will know what his "ideology") and actively stated that about how strong the protag is etc
The SE marketing/producer statement when first promoted this game to the press again heavily focused only for her strong women/ BIPOC etc
“We worked closely with a number of consultants from BIPOC backgrounds to help portray Frey’s character and tell the story from her perspective,” Square Enix said in the FAQ, adding that Forspoken’s supporting cast was “dominated by women and several women of color.”
How is having a woman of color or a strong woman in a fantasy game woke? You have yet to come up with a single shred of evidence as to why this character is "pandering".
Five
Even western gaming media know this game is a "woke" game and demanded more as this is not enough
Here the latest one:

"My newfound fears weren’t helped when Rymer and Stashwick (writer) described Frey’s origin story, which came off as a tired amalgamation of Black stereotypes. Those stereotypes included her “being very angry,” her having “fallen through cracks of society,” and being “on the verge of prison,” before being teleported to Athia. The cherry on top of my newfound dread was motion capture and voice over director Tom Keegan describing Balinska’s mannerisms during her motion capture performance as having a “very hip-hoppy kind of walk.”

After all of the above is forspoken Woke? Well there are prob 95% this game is woke (aka the incursion of black women protag specifically made to satisfy certain community) though by western journalist that is not enough and demand more.
So what you considered non woke 2018+ games with black protagonist?
Death loop, Apex to name a few
Apex? You mean Apex legends? Wait, you're comparing this now to a MULTIPLAYER GAME that does NOT have a main character or a storyline in the first place? Fucking LOL.
Done, I'm out from all discussion about this games.
Okay

Last edited:

Larxia

They shouldn't have tried to please these crazy people.

They wouldn't have had any problems if they just made a regular game like they usually do, without any woke agenda.
Now they're stuck, people don't like the woke aspect of it, and the game got the attention of SJWs, but these ones think it's not woke enough.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Sorry, I did not read more than the OP and a couple of posts but I do have 1 question.

is the video 720p max for anyone else but just me?

What the actual fuck. horrible frame rate, blur more than a PS3 game. It actually looks l like a PS3 game.

Am I missing something here? how is this a PS5 game?

reminded me of another Shitty Square Enix game that I hope it dies before it gets released. that stupid Chaos game ( god I couldn't even watch a trailer let alone play it )

Usually, I am a big fan of Square Enix. but Jesus did all the talent leave them?

They shouldn't have tried to please these crazy people.

They wouldn't have had any problems if they just made a regular game like they usually do, without any woke agenda.
Now they're stuck, people don't like the woke aspect of it, and the game got the attention of SJWs, but these ones think it's not woke enough.
Everything about this game screams wrong. A Japanese company, trying to appeal to a western audience, hires a bunch of white writers, to create a black female protagonist, for what I'm sure are purely artistic reasons.

Seriously, what chance does this toxic brew have of being successful? SE would probably have been better off just hiring Japanese writers to do just do what they usually do. The gameplay is going to really have to knock it out of the park. I mean, I could be wrong and the writers could still manage to create something worthwhile out of this mess, but certainly the warning signs are there.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Gotta love how this game is getting shit on for being "woke" here and then is getting shit on for not being woke enough at the Kotaku's and Resetera's of the world.

Gamers are stupid. Making a character a black woman isn't "woke". And having a black woman voiced by a black voice actor is a good thing. This is why those of us caught between degenerate, mentally I'll, leftist extremism and backwards ass racist incels can't stand anyone these days. Isn't anyone just fucking normal anymore?

Rykan

Everything about this game screams wrong. A Japanese company, trying to appeal to a western audience, hires a bunch of white writers, to create a black female protagonist, for what I'm sure are purely artistic reasons.
This has to be a parody account. it has to be.

SE has gone out of its way to appeal to western audiences for years now, but the moment they introduce a black female protagonist, oh boy thats when they've really crossed the line!

People like you are fucking hilarious. This entire industry spend decades trying to appeal to white male gamers with power fantasy "unshaven white dude" main characters. Now you're losing it over a female black protaganist and you suddenly care about "artistic integrity". Fucking lol mate.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry, I did not read more than the OP and a couple of posts but I do have 1 question.

is the video 720p max for anyone else but just me?

What the actual fuck. horrible frame rate, blur more than a PS3 game. It actually looks l like a PS3 game.

Am I missing something here? how is this a PS5 game?

reminded me of another Shitty Square Enix game that I hope it dies before it gets released. that stupid Chaos game ( god I couldn't even watch a trailer let alone play it )

Usually, I am a big fan of Square Enix. but Jesus did all the talent leave them?
Official video was taken down soon after the upload went live. I’m guessing they saw the backlash and took it down. This is a re-upload by someone who had saved the video before it was taken down.

synce

It's like the game was created by trained monkeys who have no actual concept of what makes games fun or appealing. Also it's done a great job of exposing how racist some publications are. The guy in Gamespot's video straight up says that only black people can write black characters, because apparently there's no human experiences, only skin-deep ones, and every black person has the same experience. Damn. Imagine saying black people aren't allowed to write white characters, or women can't write male characters.

NikuNashi

Head of nail meet hammer.

And yet there's still a bunch of era migrants in this thread with their panties in a twist everytime someone uses the W word. You guys lack awareness to see what is actually happening.

Rykan

Head of nail meet hammer.

And yet there's still a bunch of era migrants in this thread with their panties in a twist everytime someone uses the W word. You guys lack awareness to see what is actually happening.
Or maybe we don't lose our shit the moment we see a black person in a video game.

Top Bottom