• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FORSPOKEN | Review Thread

What Scores do you think FORSPOKEN will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 85-90%

• 90-95%

• 95-100%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Jones

Gold Member
"Well here I am, gettin' fucking reviewed. I can't believe it, there's a fucking score about to drop, ain't that some shit? One minute I'm in court and the next minute I'm being fucking judged by someone I wouldn't exactly call a judge. Get a load of me, all judged and shit. Like, wowowowowowowow. I guess the whole fucking universe hates me, but you can't blame me for just being me, a fucking regular person that crazy stuff just happens to."
If this is as cringe as Final Fantasy Chaos I might dip

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
70 OC after 20 reviews. Can't see it climbing much higher if that's already the average.

Bartski

Gold Member

Ella Balinska GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Billbofet

I think it will start higher than it lands since they have selectively picked the first round(s) of reviewers - if that is correct.
When it tanks on user reviews for the cringe dialogue and any performance issues, you can expect the standard, "Forespoken is getting review bombed by toxic fans" articles that are probably already pre-written by Kotaku, Verge, etc.
Lands at 66

StueyDuck

in the 60s but the game will get bonus points from media outlets who always want to "get back at gamers". the same ones who will absolutely destroy hogwarts meta, whether that game deserves a low score or not,

(overall, reviews are meaningless, at least the game had a demo to help players decide yay or nay)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Most shocking thing I've seen: 15 hour campaign from IGN.

I think it will start higher than it lands since they have selectively picked the first round(s) of reviewers - if that is correct.
When it tanks on user reviews for the cringe dialogue and any performance issues, you can expect the standard, "Forespoken is getting review bombed by toxic fans" articles that are probably already pre-written by Kotaku, Verge, etc.
Lands at 66

What in the world are you talking about? Who is picking reviews? Some of the ideas some of you have about this industry are just wild.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
x2Q6q1I.jpg

Thread will be updated when reviews drop.

Game Information​

Game Title: FORSPOKEN

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (January 25, 2023)
  • PC (January 25, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X|S (TBA)
Trailer:
Developer: Square Enix
Publisher: Square Enix

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic:

RVaQcWR.jpg

MetaCritic:

4RL4zUh.jpg

Scoring isnt complete yet, but in one of the other threads, a gaffer said 67. So far spot on. I took the over at the low 70s.

Thabass

Guess I can't be too surprised. They waited until the day before release to release the review scores. Was the tell tale sign of it being at the very least mediocre. It will have to be a wait from me for a sale.

Shifty1897

Most shocking thing I've seen: 15 hour campaign from IGN.

What in the world are you talking about? Who is picking reviews? Some of the ideas some of you have about this industry are just wild.
Some reviewers made claims that they weren't sent review codes by Square Enix because they bashed the demo of the game, they also claimed no PC review codes were sent out. Kind of blew up last week.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe this game would have some success if it was on Sony's playstation Plus Extra from day one. THey must have paid a chunk to get this exclusive so may as well put it on IMO.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
360 era Square Enix is certainly a quote.

Haha. . .I saw that one and will admit I kind of laughed to myself.

. . .I honestly think this game might be another one of those "Stranger of Paradise" deals: game with fantastic and deep gameplay saddled by having to put a narrative experience around it. And I like SOP, and agree with every one of the mediocre reviews of it in one way or another. This is definitely a wait for a sale - or user experience - type situation where folks who aren't on a compressed schedule can really crack the game open and see if there's anything to the combat and other activities that make the game worth digging into. . .eventually.

Some reviewers made claims that they weren't sent review codes by Square Enix because they bashed the demo of the game, they also claimed no PC review codes were sent out. Kind of blew up last week.

Oh - I thought they were saying that reviews were like some sort of "Sports Draft" or something. It's still a silly "conspiracy theory": that SE has such a deep relationship with games media to be able to know what kind of review score they want to massage at launch and this isn't just them being petty for previous slights.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Frey may “do magic” and “kill jacked-up beasts,” but she can’t overcome the mediocrity that surrounds her and spills out of her mouth at nearly every turn.

Brutal, but expected. To have a tone down option...thats not a good sign imo. The game screams bad ideas.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I hope this is the death of Luminous Productions.

The game design, writing, graphics... everything might as well be shit, uninspired, outdated, whatever you wanna call it.

But when not even the dude who is directing the cutscenes seems to have even the slightest clue about cinematography... that's when the product as a whole becomes insulting to me.

jm89

I swear some of the issues sound like echoes of ff15 issues. Both made by the same studio.

Time for this studio to scale down their games, and maybe have more focus rather then wasting time on an open world.

Last edited:
Even though I mainly buy open world (or strategy) games this was just never on my radar as it looks so generic.

Watched a few reviews out of interest and it sounds like it was designed by an AI where it has all of the right components but all, or at least most, fall totally flat.

Plenty of open world games have big flaws but also have strengths in other areas so you're still going to have a great time but this just sounds mediocre all round which is a huge sin for something that will probably take tens of hours to 100%.

Top Bottom