• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FORSPOKEN | Review Thread

What Scores do you think FORSPOKEN will get?

• 0-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 85-90%

• 90-95%

• 95-100%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mxbison

Man these are all over the place.

Good combat / Bad combat
Good traversal / Bad traversal
Good world / Bad world
Good story / Bad story
Good music / Bad music

You can find a review for pretty much every possible combination of those.

Just a few days ago someone here told me reviewer scores matter much more than player opinions because of all their expertise :D

KXVXII9X

Seems that the game met a lot of hate and unfair criticism.
We get a new single player AAA game that does not have loot boxes, micro transactions and is not another 4 player coop unreal engine game…. And it gets criticised to hell for what? Character that is fun and alive? Not another stoic cardboard character without personality?

We really want only call of duty and UE looter shooters?!

And even graphics get a lot of hate when normally everyone says it doesn’t matter. I personally think the game looks great visually and I don’t mind the main character. I only played the demo and views are great. Combat and particle effects are standout too. Nothing average with this game.

As for gameplay, I’ve got my ps5 preorder coming tomorrow. No early shipment for me :(
We have gotten other quality AAA titles that don't do this that were much better received though. God of War Ragnarok came out a few months ago, we had Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope, The Yakuza series is usually full of quality, many people loved Elden Ring (wasn't for me personally), and Hogwarts Legacy is coming up. Capcom seems to be good with AAA single player games as well.

Kurotri

People talking about Amy Hennig, but I swear I've read somewhere that the writer was some dude name Gary Whitta?
Anyway, this is lower than I expected, I thought it'd crack the low 70 but damn, 69. THAT bad huh? Fuck shit fuck fuck yep yep yep.

Last edited:

GHG

We have gotten other quality AAA titles that don't do this that were much better received though. God of War Ragnarok came out a few months ago, we had Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope, The Yakuza series is usually full of quality, many people loved Elden Ring (wasn't for me personally), and Hogwarts Legacy is coming up. Capcom seems to be good with AAA single player games as well.

I refuse to believe anyone playing this crap doesn't have a backlog of games of much higher quality that they can dip into.

Madflavor

joUVBNi.png

Noooo. How can this be? The trailers looked so good.

KXVXII9X

70$+ from you
BRaX8rW.jpeg
Forget PS3 looking visuals, this looks like it belongs on the PS2. I know this is kind of "cherry picked", but a lot of the game is so inconsistent visually and you get really bad scenes like this and in a current gen only title. This is embarrassing. Developers need to plan better with their art direction and optimization. I'm playing Genshin Impact right now on PC and it looks MILES better than this from this distance despite being a mobile title.

jimmypython

Yep sounds like FFXV and they only learnt to improve one thing since then: the combat, which isn't even that impressive.

The banter is somehow bad this time around? I thought people liked the ones in FFXV...(I didn't).

I wonder if SE suits will shut down the studio all together

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are you really doing the ''You don't like this game? Go back to call of duty then!!'' strawman?.. For this game? It's very transparent
Don’t be so petty. There is clearly a hate agenda for this game for some time now. It never had a fair chance.
Maybe you don’t miss more one off games but I do. We had plenty of these in the past and that’s why we only get sequels and remakes now.

What is this abundance of great 4 player co op unreal engine games because I want to play them?

I mean grounded is awesome but I need more.

Sorry you pre ordered this. Maybe you can cancel your pre order and grab it a month or so when it will be half price?
I don’t mind playing not perfect game. I am keeping my pre order. I made my decision after playing through the demo and ignoring hate surrounding the game.

I never said it will be a 10/10.
But it’s clearly not a 5/10. Probably even saints row isn’t.
I view this as something fresh.
For me there really is a big gap between AA and AAA releases. This is not 360 gen anymore. Games are either a service or multiplayer and I don’t play these mostly.
And everything is a sequel so I will give the game a chance myself.

I can always sell it, not problem. Just like Callisto which turned out to be my worst game of 2022 :p

SCB3

Meh, this is not looking so great, a shame as I liked the idea of it, gonna wait for a sale I think

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That’s good games but it’s scraps when it comes to quantity compared to the past.
How many months was it between Elden ring and ragnarok? I don’t care for Mario or 7th yakuza(just bought 0).
Look at the list of 2011 games and you will die inside a bit.

Now, I dont mind scarce releases but it can get a bit absurd this gen.

The bits of dialogue I heard were very much the same as the modern day Assassins Creed sections in banality and overemphasized patterns.

I'd expect better from Amy Hennig and Gary Witta if they're involved.

Ulysses 31

Yep sounds like FFXV and they only learnt to improve one thing since then: the combat, which isn't even that impressive.

The banter is somehow bad this time around? I thought people liked the ones in FFXV...(I didn't).
The IGN review I posted goes into how Frey is largely an unlikable New Yorker and her interactions with Cuff aren't much better. She also comes across as not very interested in helping others and is vocal about her disdain for most of the tasks she has to complete.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Man these are all over the place.

Good combat / Bad combat
Good traversal / Bad traversal
Good world / Bad world
Good story / Bad story
Good music / Bad music

You can find a review for pretty much every possible combination of those.

Just a few days ago someone here told me reviewer scores matter much more than player opinions because of all their expertise :D
Put this guy on ignore.

MiguelItUp

I'm personally not too surprised by the outcome. I figured some would like it, some wouldn't, hell, some more than others. To me, it originally felt like a tech demo that they just fluffed with "content" and then turned into a game. That being said, the part that surprised me was the visual downgrade from what they originally showed.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The IGN review I posted goes into how Frey is largely an unlikable New Yorker and her interactions with Cuff aren't much better. She's also comes across as not very interested in helping others and is vocal about the distain she her for most of the tasks to complete..
Man this is my #1 pet peeve, when they give you boring busywork quests and the characters comment about how boring and tedious it is.

Like, is that supposed to make me feel better about it when the game is apologizing for its own existence? Maybe when the writers are commiserating with the players, that’s a sign that your design is shit.

Guilty_AI

That’s good games but it’s scraps when it comes to quantity compared to the past.
How many months was it between Elden ring and ragnarok? I don’t care for Mario or 7th yakuza(just bought 0).
Look at the list of 2011 games and you will die inside a bit.

Now, I dont mind scarce releases but it can get a bit absurd this gen.
eh, last year we had Metal: Hellsinger, Ghostwire Tokyo, Little Witch Nobeta, Triangle Strategy, Bayonetta 3, Kirby, Neon White, Tunic, A Plague Tale Requiem, Dying Light 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Teardown, Stray, Prodeus, Sonic Frontiers, Scorn, High on Life, probably some others i'm forgetting about.... all of similar or better quality than Forspoken.

We aren't exactly starving when it comes to these 'one off' games.

Last edited:

JayK47

I was honestly expecting better reviews. GameSpot 5/10. Brutal. Maybe it will be free on Epic in a year or so.

GHG

wfpa2yI.png

5IkBAfN.png

The poll option leading is 60 - 70.
The metascore is 60 -70.

How exactly is that worse than anyone imagine when most people imagined it scoring exactly what it scored?
Did you mean to post exactly as most people imagined?

Calm down. I'm talking about long prior to the game leaking. If you asked people a month or two ago, or even after the demo nobody would be voting in the 60's.

ikbalCO

Damn. Wasnt expectin anything much but reading the reviews now and yikes.

For those you saying the graphics look meh, dont forget. At some point down the road this game might suddenly be a cross gen PS4 game.

Game already looks underwhelming on ps5. I dont see square spending more money with porting this DOA game to ps4

MC score in the high 60s like expected.
Some of the reviews call the story cliche and too generic while one review calls it "a storyline that rivals the best video game stories".

Game will probably be on sale for 20 bucks before the end of the year.
It really looks and plays (judging by the demo) very soulless.

Top Bottom